I got into a rear end collision

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
I got into a rear end collision

This morning's event was very unexpected event. Granted, I already have 2 at-fault accidents on my belt in this year. However, this morning while driving home (maybe 6.5 miles far from home), I was rear ended by a Toyota Tacoma. I was at a stand still, patiently waiting for my signal for turning left, change from red to green. This happened probably 45 seconds before that even happened. My MDX was pushed forward by this taco, which was behind me, and I was able to capture it on my 2-ch Blackvue dash camera. FHP was a no show, but local PD showed up, with 3 cops in tow: 1 trainee and 2 long time officers. All three of them were nice guys unlike how the media and society portrays them as an enemy.

Medical breakdown is my PIP from Geico is $10k, and an additional $5k from Progressive. I didn't paid any co-pays for the hospital visit and for some muscle relaxers that the doctor prescribed. I was able to take the MDX over to Fountain Acura since they had an onsite collision repair shop that the parent company (Fountain) owns. Dropped it off, and got an estimate of around $2950, which is being billed to Progressive. Rental is also being paid by Progressive too. Only things that are out of pocket was the $50 deposit fee for Enterprise and ~$11 for gas since I was given pretty much on an empty gas tank.

However, I am glad for two things. 1) My MDX doesn't have the awful auto start/stop feature. 2) There was nobody IN front of me when this happened.

The below are the pictures of my MDX and the dashcam footage of the collision:

Old 11-24-2020, 07:11 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Sorry that happened, but that's not actually all that bad...
Old 11-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Instructor

I need some idea on this whole diminished value thing. Carfax valued the MDX pre-accident at $29,840, and the repair quote is $2950. I will be talking with the adjuster for the the diminished value of it.

And yeah, it doesn't look that bad from the pictures, but in person its actually worse.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:27 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
So is the damage just the rear hatch?
Old 11-25-2020, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Arent dash cams the best, I highly recommend to everyone

As far as diminished value claim, good luck. It is possible, but insurance companies make it rather difficult. Being that it has minimal damage, they'll say there is no point. However, if you go to trade your car in one day, there will be on the carfax showing accident reported, it doesn't matter how severe or minor. So you will get a hit on the trade in value (I used to work at an Acura dealer)

However, if you down the road sell it private party, being that you have your dash cam as well as photos after, if your selling directly to the new buyer, more than likely they wont care as you'll have shown them the minor damage and it was properly repaired by an approved facility, so it wont really matter.

Just some food for thought. Hopefully no whip lash pain comes to you!
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900

As far as diminished value claim, good luck. It is possible, but insurance companies make it rather difficult. Being that it has minimal damage, they'll say there is no point. However, if you go to trade your car in one day, there will be on the carfax showing accident reported, it doesn't matter how severe or minor. So you will get a hit on the trade in value (I used to work at an Acura dealer)

However, if you down the road sell it private party, being that you have your dash cam as well as photos after, if your selling directly to the new buyer, more than likely they wont care as you'll have shown them the minor damage and it was properly repaired by an approved facility, so it wont really matter.

Or, if getting rid of the vehicle was in the plans, dump it as soon as it is repaired before the info hits Carfax, etc. You can sell it to Carmax, Carvana,etc. and pocket the cash.

Gotta love those cameras. What was the guy doing? He must have just saw the green light for those going straight through and had a brain fart. Good thing it wasn't going faster.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
So is the damage just the rear hatch?
Yes, its mostly at the lift gate. More damage was found when Acura disassembled the rear bumper. All the rear bumper crash bar brackets are getting replaced now.

Originally Posted by spoiler900

The Acura used car sales manager said if this accident didn't occur trade-in price of mine would be $24k. But, he told me use the market value, which is $29k as the base price and then he will be doing the post-repair valuation of the vehicle. However, I got no plans on trading my MDX in, but having this record on the Carfax history will really hit, hence going for the DV.

I actually gained more back pain and its starting to be unbearable. I am also going to chiropractor that's close by. I think the rental vehicle I got, 2020 Jeep Cherokee Limited, is making this pain even worse, since the seats aren't the comfortable at all (falls in line with the uncomfortable seats found in the new gen Camry and Corolla). This has been more worse than wrecking my 16 Rogue at 55 MPH on the turnpike. That pain lasted 2 days max; this is longer and slowly getting more intense day by day.

Originally Posted by moose66
Or, if getting rid of the vehicle was in the plans, dump it as soon as it is repaired before the info hits Carfax, etc. You can sell it to Carmax, Carvana,etc. and pocket the cash.

Gotta love those cameras. What was the guy doing? He must have just saw the green light for those going straight through and had a brain fart. Good thing it wasn't going faster.
Dude said he was looking at his "clipboard". I have been an advocate of dash cameras for quite a while. This has been the best dash camera I've used so far. Again, not in any financial situation to cop another vehicle. The police said to send the video to the insurance; however, I am also forwarding the video (both edited and raw footage) to my lawyer.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Here's the update on this accident:

My MDX took a $4000 hit on value just because of this incident. I did submit to Progressive for the DV value of $4287.95, as it was a calculated amount. An online DV calculator told me to ask for $4369.50 since the total cost in repairs when I got the paper work was $2972.04. My Honda dealer low balled me by a lot but it still showed a $4k hit in value (they offered me $20,130).

Now onto bodily injuries: I am still suffering a ton of back pain and neck pain. My neck at times is getting stiff for some reason; shoulder and shoulder blades are also kind of stiff and painful. The Chiropator did find muscle tenderness spots in my mid-back section when they were doing the treatments. I was given a muscle relaxer from an ortho doctor that has a chemical compound known as methocarbamol, which has done nothing to relax my muscles at all. I have an MRI scheduled for Friday for my neck, since my balance overall score was around 90, which relates to me being a high risk of falling (never fell in the past few years); so the doctor needs to check my neck area for any nerve damage or anything caused by my 3 car accidents that I had this year in total, plus a car accident back in March of 05 when I was young.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:32 PM
Null and proud of it

You've been in three accidents this year?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:45 PM
Instructor

You've been in three accidents this year?
Yeah. Unfortunately. 2nd accident, insurance just wrote a check for the vehicle; 1st one was definitely my responsibility as I was drowsy and hit another vehicle. (I had a perfect track record of nap driving without any issues until that incident). 2nd incident, was a 6-car pile up on the passing lane on the FL turnpike near Orlando, where either the guy in front of me brake checked or was going slower and had not working brake lights, which in result smashed my car into his truck; this happened less than 12 hours after the 1st incident.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:57 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by datechboss101
Yeah. Unfortunately. 2nd accident, insurance just wrote a check for the vehicle; 1st one was definitely my responsibility as I was drowsy and hit another vehicle. (I had a perfect track record of nap driving without any issues until that incident). 2nd incident, was a 6-car pile up on the passing lane on the FL turnpike near Orlando, where either the guy in front of me brake checked or was going slower and had not working brake lights, which in result smashed my car into his truck; this happened less than 12 hours after the 1st incident.

So you got in two wrecks in one day? WTF?

Glad you're ok, or um, alive....
The following 2 users liked this post by Midnight Mystery:
datechboss101 (12-06-2020), moose66 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 09:48 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Hope you're OK bro.
The following users liked this post:
datechboss101 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 12:32 PM
Instructor

So you got in two wrecks in one day? WTF?

Glad you're ok, or um, alive....
I would say 2-days, since one happened at 10pm the other was the next morning at 8am.

Alive is better lol. Not sure what 2020 was trying to do to me, but all I know was it squashed my perfect clean driving record and tried to kill me. I knew this year ain't gonna be great year for since the beginning due to my previous car started to have stopping issues, and getting hit by a VW and dude ran away (typical uninsured person in Florida). I did had fresh brake pads and rotors installed the week before I wrecked the car, but that was enough when I slammed the brakes. Would've been a different situation if I was in a car, not in an SUV.

And talk about 8 points in 12 hours too. FHP and Geico was shocked too.

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Hope you're OK bro.
I am, just shaken. Still have internal images of that airbag blowing up into my face. I didn't have severe pains that time (just my troublesome knee as usual). Took me 3 days to recover from the pains since it was in the beginning of the Spring semester. My insurance did affirm to me that my insurance rates would be lower after 2023 since it would be 3 years since I had the accidents.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Null and proud of it

Well, you certainly have an interest story for 2020.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Lets add numero quatro to this list. Porsche 911 hit me and ran. Now I need a new rear bumper.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:52 AM
Burning Brakes

. . . . . . . . . Now I need a new rear bumper.
No, what you need is a chauffeur!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Update on previous accident: I got a message from the DV claims department that they are going to work on my DV claim next week.

No, what you need is a chauffeur!
Only if I was rich!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
You got a dashcam yet?
Old 12-09-2020, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
You got a dashcam yet?
It was unplugged (probably from when I unplugged it to take the video from the previous accident) and when the dealership's body shop was transferring the rear dash cam to the near liftgate, so no dash cam video this time. I do need to fuse tap the power supply into the driver's foot well fuse box, but I have no clue what type of blank fuses I need to buy and the fuse taps themselves. I also have no clue where to put attach the ground cable on that area so that the dash camera can run for an additional amount of time after I turn off the vehicle.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Update on previous accident: I got a message from the DV claims department that they are going to work on my DV claim next week.

Only if I was rich!
You're heading down the path of needing some type of driver. If the accidents are your fault or not, you are approaching the point of being uninsurable due to being a high risk. Or if you can get insurance, you will be paying quite the premium for it.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:22 PM
Instructor

You're heading down the path of needing some type of driver. If the accidents are your fault or not, you are approaching the point of being uninsurable due to being a high risk. Or if you can get insurance, you will be paying quite the premium for it.
I drove roughly 60k - 65k miles without an accidents, until my first accident which was Jan 23rd of this year. Its just 2020 crapping on me for no reason at all. I am an extremely careful driver, even before these accidents. Heck I even called FHP and asked what's the legal slow speed I could go , so I can arrive slowly and safely to my destination (cuz speeding won't get you there faster at all). Every time I start my car, I make sure I arrive alive and without any incident. I was accident free for roughly 10 months before that Tacoma hit me.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Got a repair estimate from the same body shop. Its going to cost $1400 and take 3 days time. If I want an rear bumper ASPEC conversion, a buddy of mine in NYC quoted me $2400 OTD and roughly couple days. So far the damaged parts are bottom half of the bumper, crash bar brackets and trim pieces.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Weird update: Progressive's DV claims department messaged me to send them the body shop repair quote for the accident that happened after this initial one. I immediately messaged my Bodily injury lawyer, and he said to send the documentation to them. Would this cause my DV claim to be lower than what I am expecting?