Are you using Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Are you using Android Auto?

I'm wondering about the experience of those who are using Android Auto, and specifically how they use it and for what functions. I've tried it a few times in my Hybrid, and the voice recognition and navigation are clearly much superior to the Acura system. But what about texts and emails (the Acura system doesn't work at all with my Pixel 2 phone)? And what about music (the Android Auto seems to use only streamed music and nothing internal like an iPod)? I've discovered through use that pushing the joystick knob to the right turns on voice recognition, and pushing it to the left goes to the menu (shown in the upper left corner), but are their other things I'm missing in integrating the A.A. with the physical controls? I'm also wondering about using the navigation and what happens when you are in a no-signal area. And I'm assuming that using A.A. requires a limitless data plan (which I don't presently have, but would get if it seemed worthwhile). Many thanks for any feedback about your experience would be helpful.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (06-12-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
I use it only for Google maps, the Google voice search doesnt work that well when connected.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmoua15
I use it only for Google maps, the Google voice search doesnt work that well when connected.
bmoua, thanks for responding. And using the maps, what happens when you drive out of connection range? And do you not use it for phone calls and texts? And how do you listen to music?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wallyo
bmoua, thanks for responding. And using the maps, what happens when you drive out of connection range? And do you not use it for phone calls and texts? And how do you listen to music?
I usually don't drive out of connection range since I'm in CA. As of now I connect via Bluetooth to listen to downloaded music from YouTube Red, other than that I hardly use android auto for text, calls or searches.

I still haven't had the chance to look into it but after I updated my android phone with the new 8.0 software my google maps for android auto stopped working. I attempted to use as I usually do for the last few days now and it doesn't recognize android auto on my phone.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Advanced

I usually don't drive out of connection range since I'm in CA. As of now I connect via Bluetooth to listen to downloaded music from YouTube Red, other than that I hardly use android auto for text, calls or searches.

I still haven't had the chance to look into it but after I updated my android phone with the new 8.0 software my google maps for android auto stopped working. I attempted to use as I usually do for the last few days now and it doesn't recognize android auto on my phone.
I'm running Android 8.1.0 on a Pixel 2 phone, and the Android Auto map is working fine. I'm afraid your music solution won't work for me, as I don't want to stream music because of the relatively poor quality. So I'm not using Android Auto at all right now.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
I have had Android Auto in my Corvette for the past two years. Honestly, after a few longer trips in the Vette with plenty of time to play around with its features, I found Android Auto to be no big deal for me. It works just fine, but for how I use my vehicles, (satellite radio, basic navigation, music through my iPod) I found I wasn't using Android Auto at all.

Jump ahead two years later, while searching for the Explorer replacement, the MDX was my choice. After noticing the differences between the '17s and the '18s was solely the addition of Android Auto and Apple Carplay, I decided to save some serious cash and elected to buy a '17, rather than the '18. Also, the newer, faster head-unit in the '18 just wasn't worth the thousands of dollars in savings I got by going with the leftover '17. It is the same unit that's in the RLX, and I have been more than happy with that. It was a no-brainer for me.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JSakaBuck
I have had Android Auto in my Corvette for the past two years. Honestly, after a few longer trips in the Vette with plenty of time to play around with its features, I found Android Auto to be no big deal for me. It works just fine, but for how I use my vehicles, (satellite radio, basic navigation, music through my iPod) I found I wasn't using Android Auto at all.

Jump ahead two years later, while searching for the Explorer replacement, the MDX was my choice. After noticing the differences between the '17s and the '18s was solely the addition of Android Auto and Apple Carplay, I decided to save some serious cash and elected to buy a '17, rather than the '18. Also, the newer, faster head-unit in the '18 just wasn't worth the thousands of dollars in savings I got by going with the leftover '17. It is the same unit that's in the RLX, and I have been more than happy with that. It was a no-brainer for me.
Yes, well I haven't found the Android Auto very useful either, as it turns out! I'd never used it in another car, and had higher hopes. I do find most of the other changes in the infotainment an improvement though, particularly the response speed and the menu structure. Where the 2017 is better, is in allowing scrolling with the knob (and upper screen) when going through iPod playlists and albums. I wish they'd left that alone.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 PM
Racer

I'm running Android 8.1.0 on a Pixel 2 phone, and the Android Auto map is working fine. I'm afraid your music solution won't work for me, as I don't want to stream music because of the relatively poor quality. So I'm not using Android Auto at all right now.
So I tried different connection cables, resetting android auto on both my phone and vehicle but still nothing! I'm stumped!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Angry

So I tried different connection cables, resetting android auto on both my phone and vehicle but still nothing! I'm stumped!
Well, I'm the last person who'd know what to suggest. Did you try deleting and then reinstalling Android Auto to the phone? And are you using Android 8.1.0 on the phone? Getting the phone to connect and work for the maps and navigation are the only two things I *haven't* had a problem with.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm also wondering about using the navigation and what happens when you are in a no-signal area. And I'm assuming that using A.A. requires a limitless data plan (which I don't presently have, but would get if it seemed worthwhile). Many thanks for any feedback about your experience would be helpful.
When using A.A. in the Corvette, I would often drive out of cell phone areas (living in a rural area of PA). A.A. just stops working...PERIOD. Another reason to avoid its use. Chevrolet's navigation continues working despite the loss of cell phone connection. I also do not have an unlimited data plan, and A.A. keeps sucking down data. Data which I have better use for in my day to day life.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JSakaBuck
When using A.A. in the Corvette, I would often drive out of cell phone areas (living in a rural area of PA). A.A. just stops working...PERIOD. Another reason to avoid its use. Chevrolet's navigation continues working despite the loss of cell phone connection. I also do not have an unlimited data plan, and A.A. keeps sucking down data. Data which I have better use for in my day to day life.
Okay I'm convinced! Anyway, I find that the 2018 Acura navigation is easy to use and quite good--even the voice-command address entries work quite well. And if you're navigating and in the full map view, you can cycle through three screens: (1) full map, (2) split map and next turn info (even when quite far from the turn), and (3) split map and a complete list of the roads to be used. What it does not have is the constant updating of the Google maps.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Racer

Well, I'm the last person who'd know what to suggest. Did you try deleting and then reinstalling Android Auto to the phone? And are you using Android 8.1.0 on the phone? Getting the phone to connect and work for the maps and navigation are the only two things I *haven't* had a problem with.
Im currently running 8.0, I have a LG G7 so I dont think ill be getting a update for 8.1 anytime soon. Fml