Windshield distortion

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield distortion

Just recently purchased a 2019 AWD with Tech package. Noticed that the windshields have distortions near the A pillars. Do others folks on this forum have the same on their windshields? Would appreciate comments from those with this generation of MDX (2014+)

Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
This has been discussed at some length. Take it back and make them replace the windshield
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (12-14-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Donn0128
This has been discussed at some length. Take it back and make them replace the windshield
has acura actually replaced windshields because of this and were the replacements any better than the original? My 2019 has this as well and it seems like how it's designed (i.e. Not a one off defect)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear

Just looked at my friend’s 2018 MDX and no distortion whatsoever. I’ve seen other 2019’s with the distortion. Wonder if something changed between the model years.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
No distortion on my 2018 Hybrid
Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Racer

I'd be curious if there is actually no distorition, or if you just don't notice it. The lighting has to be right for it to be visible and it's only visibile right by the A pillar. Looking through other threads across 2 forums (here and MDXers) I see this issue going back to 2017 and I have seen no indication it only impacts some people and not others; I suspect it's present on all MDX windshields however most people probably don't notice it or if they do don't care.

If someone has an MDX without this distortion it would be helpful to post a picture of it outside in sunlight with some straight object in the background, in the photo's in other forums it's readily visible if there is a straight line object (garage door, curb, etc) in daylight and you can see the line curve as it approaches the A pillar.

Similarly, if someone has had their windshield successfully replaced by Acura under warranty for this issue, and the replacement addressed the issue, that would be helpful to know as well.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bmoua15
No distortion on my 2018 Hybrid
Would you mind posting the label on your windshield? Mines is attached. Curious if there are multiple versions of glass being used.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Racer

There may be different glass on the models with heated windshield vs those without, I believe heated windshield is only on advance? I'll post a pic of the glass model on my 19 advance later
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
There may be different glass on the models with heated windshield vs those without, I believe heated windshield is only on advance? I'll post a pic of the glass model on my 19 advance later
My 19 ASpec has the heated windshield and I have never noticed the distorted windshield.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:14 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 TECH DOES have this. Rarely is it in line of sight and if it is it's very brief. I love driving this MDX, though it is my wife's daily driver. I noticed it right away. It was built July 2017.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
New MDX owner (CPO) - with distortion

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife
2017 TECH DOES have this. Rarely is it in line of sight and if it is it's very brief. I love driving this MDX, though it is my wife's daily driver. I noticed it right away. It was built July 2017.
I am able to clearly see the distortion immediately in front of passenger A pilllar. There are 7500 miles on my 2018 so am very interested to read if warranty replacement windshields correct the issue. I then need to weigh dealing with the distortion vs having the service dept pry out/replace.

My windshield label is identical to the pic in prior post. Date of mfg 2/2018.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Racer

I suspect this is present on all MDX and is just the way the windshield is designed/shaped and isn't just a one-off issue only impacting some owners. I also suspect those that don't notice it that doesn't mean the issue isn't present, only that it isn't readily noticeable to them as it's only right by the A pillar and only if you happen to be looking out the windshield at this exact spot during daylight.

Unless someone who says their vehicle doesn't have this issue and posts a picture similar to the one at the top of this thread showing no distortion on their windshield.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
My '17 Tech (built June 2018) has slight distortion right in front of the A-Pillars - but frankly I never noticed it until I saw this post. I've been driving this car for 20 months now and never had an issue, and even after being made aware of it, the "distortion" never comes into play nor is really noticeable when driving. For me, given that - plus the issues you might create with replacing the windshield (including proper seal, proper removal-replacement of the trim, proper calibration of the camera on the windshield, etc - I'd just keep on driving and enjoy the rest of the car.

This reminds me of my '15 RDX that had this very slight "dip" in the dash panel right at the base of the windshield that some were going crazy about in the RDX forum - requesting that dealers replace the dash panel to fix the "dip". Turns out almost every RDX had it - and even the replacement dash pieces had it. Crazy how far some folks were going to try and address it......

andy
Old 05-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by andysinnh
My '17 Tech (built June 2018) has slight distortion right in front of the A-Pillars - but frankly I never noticed it until I saw this post. I've been driving this car for 20 months now and never had an issue, and even after being made aware of it, the "distortion" never comes into play nor is really noticeable when driving. For me, given that - plus the issues you might create with replacing the windshield (including proper seal, proper removal-replacement of the trim, proper calibration of the camera on the windshield, etc - I'd just keep on driving and enjoy the rest of the car.

This reminds me of my '15 RDX that had this very slight "dip" in the dash panel right at the base of the windshield that some were going crazy about in the RDX forum - requesting that dealers replace the dash panel to fix the "dip". Turns out almost every RDX had it - and even the replacement dash pieces had it. Crazy how far some folks were going to try and address it......

andy
Just to be clear, I'm not considering having my windshield replaced with the goal of eliminating this distortion. I was simply curious if it had ever been definitively proven that A) it was a defect and only present in some windshields, B) Acura actually agreed to replace windshields for this under warranty and C) warranty replacements actually addressed this issue and had no distortion present.

As I mention, unless someone can prove otherwise I'm under the assumption that all 3rd gen MDX have this distortion and it isn't a defect, it's just the shape of the windshield on the MDX. Meaning warranty replacements will have same exact distortion. To your point I rarely notice it, but I have noticed it a few times. When the poster above said this had been discussed at length and to get it replaced I was curious as I haven't seen any posts where they actually replaced a windshield because of this and the replacement didn't have any distortion.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobby2478
Just to be clear, I'm not considering having my windshield replaced with the goal of eliminating this distortion. I was simply curious if it had ever been definitively proven that A) it was a defect and only present in some windshields, B) Acura actually agreed to replace windshields for this under warranty and C) warranty replacements actually addressed this issue and had no distortion present.

As I mention, unless someone can prove otherwise I'm under the assumption that all 3rd gen MDX have this distortion and it isn't a defect, it's just the shape of the windshield on the MDX. Meaning warranty replacements will have same exact distortion. To your point I rarely notice it, but I have noticed it a few times. When the poster above said this had been discussed at length and to get it replaced I was curious as I haven't seen any posts where they actually replaced a windshield because of this and the replacement didn't have any distortion.
I understand - but my experience with OEM and replacement windshields over the years is that there is no such thing as an optically-perfect windshield - many have distortions in the middle of the screen, which would be a whole lot worse. The curves at the edges are common places for distortions like this, and I'd just chalk it up to "it's the way it is" and move along. Whether anyone has actually gone thru the process to address this distortion I don't know....
Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
My 19 ASpec has the heated windshield and I have never noticed the distorted windshield.
Well I stand corrected. I saw the distortion today. Too bad it was brought to my attention, maybe I would have never noticed it. Anyway, I will just leave it alone.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:13 PM
6th Gear

I noticed the distortion in both the passenger's side and the driver's side when I was test driving prior to purchase last year (2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD); it was apparent in every MDX that I looked at. After a year of ownership I hardly notice it.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
My TL had an aftermarket windshield and it did this on the bottom 1/3 just above the dash, all of the way accross...

So I guess defective windshields are a thing!
Old 11-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Cruisin'

Windshield distortion 2019 Acura MDX

Yes I have the same problem, but mine actually makes me physically sick. I get carsick from driving my own car. Not to mention this is a safety concern as well. I took mine back to Acura and they replaced it with a windshield that was even worse! Now they are refusing to do anything with it. Stating it’s a design and not a defect. A car should not make you throw up when you are driving it. You have to call the department of transportation and file a complaint. If enough people do they will open an investigation and look into it. Acura corporate is telling me this is normal. No it is not. It is a design flaw that they have had issues with since 1994 in other Honda models as well. Call 1-888-327-4236 and report it if you are having the same issue. QUOTE=Dchan157;16419256]Just recently purchased a 2019 AWD with Tech package. Noticed that the windshields have distortions near the A pillars. Do others folks on this forum have the same on their windshields? Would appreciate comments from those with this generation of MDX (2014+)

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-28-2019, 03:38 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
I wonder if that is not a design flaw, rather a compromise for safety that strengthens the windshield. If this were the case, I would understand and embrace the compromise.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

No it’s a design flaw. I have been working with my dealer and this is a problem Acura has known about it. I have called windshield companies as well. You can’t put an aftermarket windshield in an Acura because the safety features won’t work correctly. So you are stuck with Acura glass. I am driving a RDX right now and there isn’t any issue with the windshield on it like my MDX. The problem is “cross car distortion”. It’s worse if you are short.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sooththetruth
I wonder if that is not a design flaw, rather a compromise for safety that strengthens the windshield. If this were the case, I would understand and embrace the compromise.

so he'll just feel nauseous every time here rides. I would keep pushing the issue because it is more like a safety issue....OP, have you tried another dealer?
The following users liked this post:
Shannelc24 (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Cruisin'

Windshield distortion.

I have went to three different Acura dealers and all of
the windshields have distortion. Some worse than others. My replacement windshield is even blurry on the bottom now. Very frustrating when you spend this much on a car and get sick driving it. Acura won’t do anything. They say it’s the design and nothing wrong. I have went to every other luxury brand and looked at their SUVs. Not one has this problem. MDX owners need to start calling and reporting it because it is a safety concern. If there was nothing wrong then why did they agree to replace the windshield in the first place?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannelc24
I have went to three different Acura dealers and all of
the windshields have distortion. Some worse than others. My replacement windshield is even blurry on the bottom now. Very frustrating when you spend this much on a car and get sick driving it. Acura won’t do anything. They say it’s the design and nothing wrong. I have went to every other luxury brand and looked at their SUVs. Not one has this problem. MDX owners need to start calling and reporting it because it is a safety concern. If there was nothing wrong then why did they agree to replace the windshield in the first place?
Certainly not undervaluing the distress and discomfort this issue causes you by no means. But if it is as bad as you make it sound, I think you need to find yourself an attorney.That is if you think you have exhausted all of your options with Acura. You might want to at least try contacting corporate Acura/Honda if you have not done so already. If that fails, unfortunately you may have to go legal.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

I've had both a '17 MDX Tech and a '19 MDX Advance and both have that slight "distortion" at the very edge near the A-pillar. Virtually every MDX does. I've always felt it was that way due to the way the glass has to be made to match the curvature of the glass at that point. Even my '15 RDX Tech had it to a slight extent. Given that it's on the very edges of the view field - and that I only look at those angles periodically, I've never thought much about it, and frankly don't notice it unless I look for it. But I can understand the concept of micro-focusing on something when you can't get it out of your head. My '15 RDX had this "dip" in the dashboard near the windshield that my eyes went to every time I got into the car.....

This is up to you on how to proceed - and glass is one of those things that's so variable it's hard to really solve anything completely. If you look at literally any windshield you'll see some level of rippling or inconsistency going across the width of the viewing field. It all depends on how sensitive your eyes are to it. I have in the past had replacement windshields that were optically so bad you couldn't see clearly out of them - so there's a whole lot worse you can experience....
Old 12-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Cruisin'

I have tried to work with corporate to get this resolved but unfortunately they are not willing to do anything. I was honestly shocked at how the two representatives I talked to treated me. I love everything about my MDX except the windshield so it is very upsetting to say the least. I have an attorney and I was really hoping it wouldn’t come to that but I don’t see any other option. Acura really has left me no choice. Safety is priority and not something I am willing to compromise. I think more people will come forward on this too once it is out.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shannelc24
I have tried to work with corporate to get this resolved but unfortunately they are not willing to do anything. I was honestly shocked at how the two representatives I talked to treated me. I love everything about my MDX except the windshield so it is very upsetting to say the least. I have an attorney and I was really hoping it wouldn’t come to that but I don’t see any other option. Acura really has left me no choice. Safety is priority and not something I am willing to compromise. I think more people will come forward on this too once it is out.
I applaud your diligence in following this through, and can share that my experience with Acura corporate reps isn't always what I'd hoped it would be when I've dealt with them on issues. In my case my dealer has been the strong suit in addressing my issues over the past 30 years. But one question - what's the resolution you're looking to ultimately get? From what I've observed, I'm no sure there's a windshield on the planet that fits the MDX that would have a distortion-free area near the A-pillar. Are you looking to get out of the car and reach financial restitution as part of that process? Or are you asking that they somehow create a window that does not have any distortion? In my case the distortion does not impact me, but I'm interested in what your end-game goal would be?
Old 12-17-2019, 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

Honestly when it first happened and lt the dealership know 4 days after I purchased it, I didn’t think it was going to be an issue. Just thought I had defective glass and they would fix it. They took pictures and sent it to corporate. They agreed it needed to be replaced and replaced it. Problem is this one is way worse. The service director has been great and trying to get it resolved, but corporate has been the problem. We have pictures of both windshields and you can clearly see how this one is even more distorted. If it can’t be resolved then I don’t want the car. It’s a safety issue and they need to fix it. Just like a recall when something isn’t safe. It should be treated the same. It’s a shame because it is such a beautiful car.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

Angry Windshield Distortion

I just came across this discussion while searching the internet regarding this very issue. I was hoping to see a resolution here, but no such luck. Will keep checking back in hope of finding good news. I have a 2016 MDX and just recently had the windshield replaced by Safelite due to damage from a rock. My original windshield did not have any distortion that I (or anyone else) ever noticed. The distortion on the one they replaced it with is just like what's pictured in Shannelc24 post, and yes, it is OEM has Acura stamp and info just like the one of the pictures in this post same #'s and all. They must have changed the design and/or manufacturer. Mine has blurr about 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide on the passenger side and less (about 2 in) on the driver's side. Safelite unwrapped another windshield right in front of me and it had the same issue. They say it's not a defect but the design. I spoke with the Acura service manager on the phone (nearest dealership is an hour from me), he hasn't seen mine yet, but says he's noticed a "little curve" on the edge of new ones, but I can come by and see for myself and they'll look at mine. In other words, I don't think I'll get anywhere, but will go anyway and get a complaint documented with Honda/Acura. I am also going to file a complaint with NHTSA. I find it to be a real safety issue as well as an extreme annoyance. Too bad, because I was excited about the new redesigned MDX coming out next year, but now won't even consider it unless the windshield does not have this issue AND the one I have is replaced with one that doesn't have this issue - I won't buy from a company with no integrity. I hope enough of us complain that something gets done. Not sure what else to do and am thinking nothing will be resolved until after I get rid of mine anyway (can't stand it the way it is).
Old 10-16-2020, 06:46 PM
Drifting

My 2019 has this issue and never noticed it until I saw this thread. To tell you the truth, I never really notice this so to me this not a big issue.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Noticed mine from day one but I guess not a big deal for me because it only annoys me when going around our office parking lot.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RCJD
Noticed mine from day one but I guess not a big deal for me because it only annoys me when going around our office parking lot.
Forgot - I got the 20 A-Spec
Old 12-22-2021, 01:14 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Any updates on this? Took my vehicle in for the dreaded white roof repaint on my 16' MDX. Apparently, the body shop broke the original windshield when removing it and replaced it with a brand new Acura-branded windshield. However, when I picked it up, I immediately noticed the windshield A-pillars location has a thin line of distortion. Tried to take it back to the dealership but they were closed when I got there. Didn't call yet as I'm trying to take a second look at it but the weather here has been horrible.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Most likely stuck if the replacement had that. Same thing for me on my 2014 when I got it replaced in 2019. I pushed for OEM glass (there are other options) but my oem Acura branded one had this curve. I think they all will now. Not sure if it’s somehow stronger?

I’ve learned to live with it. Don’t really notice it now.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:20 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Called the dealership that previously replaced the windshield and the SA basically said all windshields have that distortion and compounded with supply chain issues, there is no guarantee newly ordered windshields will be any better. Decided to live with it since I can barely notice it on day-to-day driving. Only notice it on specific occasions.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:50 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, just checking in as I too have had my MDX windshield just replaced with new OEM glass (AGC with Acura Logo) and having not only the same fun house mirror distortion on the sides, but a much bigger issue is that there is distortion over the whole windshield that is causing eye strain and a dizzy headache. This overall distortion is like not being able to focus both eyes on one spot. I can feel my eyes constantly readjusting, trying so hard to focus but they just can't settle. I find myself looking out the driver door window, to let my eyes relax and feel great. Think of it as looking through subtle prescription glasses when you don't need glasses. This is so different from my factory windshield from 2014 and I'm trying to figure out what I can do. I just had this replaced at a dealership.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AgentDSS
Hello, just checking in as I too have had my MDX windshield just replaced with new OEM glass (AGC with Acura Logo) and having not only the same fun house mirror distortion on the sides, but a much bigger issue is that there is distortion over the whole windshield that is causing eye strain and a dizzy headache. This overall distortion is like not being able to focus both eyes on one spot. I can feel my eyes constantly readjusting, trying so hard to focus but they just can't settle. I find myself looking out the driver door window, to let my eyes relax and feel great. Think of it as looking through subtle prescription glasses when you don't need glasses. This is so different from my factory windshield from 2014 and I'm trying to figure out what I can do. I just had this replaced at a dealership.
I can't speak specifically for the MDX windshield here, but I have had OEM-spec'd replacement windshields have optical issues on another car years ago - and was able to get the shop replace the windshield due to the distortions in the main field of view. They treated it as a manufacturing defect in the same way they won't let you fix a chip in the line of sight... The windshield-edge distortions are there in all MDX windshields - but the defect you're seeing you should be able to get resolution to....