Snow chains vs cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 AM
2019 MDX SH-AWD w/Tech

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Snow chains vs cables

Hey All, does anyone have any experience with class S chains vs the SZ435 Super Z6 cables that the manual recommends? I'm not trying to get into a debate on cables vs chains or what the manual recommends vs doesn't recommend. The reason I'm asking is that SCC (Peerless) also makes their Auto-trac line of actual chains (not cables) that are class S rated (low clearance) and was wondering if anyone actually tried those. They are supposed to fit the same as the Super Z6 cables but I wanted real world experience from someone whose tried them before I pulled the trigger. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry this may not be helpful because it doesn't answer your question. I have not used the SCC low clearance chains before, but I do like the Super Z cables I have. They're easy to store because they're smaller than chains, they're lightweight, and they are easy to install with the vehicle stationary. I've used the Z cables on my previous MINI, Suburban, and XC90 and have not had complaints with their performance.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:28 AM
2019 MDX SH-AWD w/Tech

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jefferson88
Sorry this may not be helpful because it doesn't answer your question. I have not used the SCC low clearance chains before, but I do like the Super Z cables I have. They're easy to store because they're smaller than chains, they're lightweight, and they are easy to install with the vehicle stationary. I've used the Z cables on my previous MINI, Suburban, and XC90 and have not had complaints with their performance.
That's ok, and thank you as I do appreciate the feedback.

I used the recommended cables (SCC TC2212MM) for my previous 2016 RDX (the ones recommended in the manual) and I noticed that lateral motion is still a little, unsettled, if you will. Mind you that was the first time I ever ran on cables before.

I used to drive on chains back in the day on trucks but this was my first foray into a necessary "low clearance" cable due to the clearance issues on the RDX and now slimmer clearances on my MDX. I did not like the fact that the cables slid side to side and when researching cables vs chains, this is a common issue. I wanted to see if I can revert back to chains to curb the side to side slippage on my MDX and thus I found the auto-trac chains made by SCC/Peerless.

One other thing, the cables for my RDX were a nightmare to store because they used up so much space. They rolled up into a large surface area which I hated. I ended up leaving them back in the box they came in.

And in your experience with the cables, you did not have lateral slippage? Have you used them on an Acura?
Old 01-22-2021, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
not to take this off track, but has anyone tried snow socks?
Old 01-22-2021, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 228 Posts
I ordered these for a weekend trip up the mountain. Very easy to install and provided great traction. I returned them after the trip as I had no need for chains living in SoCal, otherwise no complaints.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-22-2021, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by djmixmode
That's ok, and thank you as I do appreciate the feedback.

And in your experience with the cables, you did not have lateral slippage? Have you used them on an Acura?
My MDX has not seen snow in my year of ownership, so I have not tried them on this vehicle yet.

The cables I've owned have all been the of the zig-zag variety, rather than the traditional ladder style. These are supposedly better at reducing lateral slippage. Without a real comparison I can't really say which is better, but I have not had any lateral slip incidents when I've driven with my cables on. That said, when I drive in conditions bad enough where I needed chains, I'm driving very cautiously.

The cables work for me because I only need them for ski trips. If you live in an area where you see snow often, and temps below 40°F consistently, a set of winter tires is the best choice you can make. Even a really inexpensive set will outperform an all-season setup with chains.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:48 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,177 Posts
Winter tires are really not needed in the southwest 99% of the time. Storms are extremely spotty, move very fast, and dependent on elevation. I usually get no snow to a light dusting in ABQ city center (4900ft) and the east mountains can see 6-18 inches of snow 15-20 miles away (6500ft-7500ft). Ski resorts in NM, AZ, and CO are the same way. It will be in the +60 degrees in Phoenix (1000ft) and 20s-40s in Flagstaff 2 hrs away with snow (7000ft). Snow tires don't feel that great on the hwy at 75-80 mph with temp +60 degrees.

I have a set of snow chains recommended in the owner's manual for my 11 MDX when I used to hit the ski resorts (never had to use the chains). The best defense is just leaving a day earlier or a day later to avoid the heavy snow day (DOT clears the hwy PDQ along with +40/50 degree temps the next day). DOT usually let you pass without chains if you have awd and/or M/S/winter tires depending on conditions. Mandatory chains for every vehicle by DOT usually means the hwy will be closed any minute.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
when it's time for chains around here, I see way to many cable chain "snakes" littering the highway a few days later. Now i don't know if that's because they are by far the majority over real chains, or people aren't skilled at proper installation, or what, but when they break they also can do lots of paint and body damage. Personally I've always used the european style link chains on all my vehicles. But I also haven't looked for chains for the MDX. if it's that bad I'll drive my 4wd truck with studdless winter tires and chain up if needed, it's easy peasy on the truck if needed. Link chains properly installed are pretty robust compared to the cable chains.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:08 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35

I have a set of snow chains recommended in the owner's manual for my 11 MDX when I used to hit the ski resorts (never had to use the chains). The best defense is just leaving a day earlier or a day later to avoid the heavy snow day (DOT clears the hwy PDQ along with +40/50 degree temps the next day). DOT usually let you pass without chains if you have awd and/or M/S/winter tires depending on conditions. Mandatory chains for every vehicle by DOT usually means the hwy will be closed any minute.
Here in Vancouver, BC, even where snow is rare. Going up to the ski hills may encounter road blocks that do nothing but to check on your tires.

Even AWD + all-season (M+S) tires are no good. They only allow vehicles equipped with snow tires or all-weather (snowflake 3PMSF) tires to go through.