Seat Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Seat Comfort

Does the seat quality or comfort change over the years?

I just sat shotgun in a 2020 MDX (tech) for the first time and was immediately impressed by comfort of the seat. I've had a 2016 or 2017 MDX (also tech) as a loaner car a couple of times before, not recently, and remembered the seats as "pretty good" but nothing amazing. I am planning on buying a used MDX and am now wondering if there is a break point in years where the seats were upgraded in terms of comfort. I generally follow Acura release notes "new for this year" type bulletins, and don't remember seeing anything specific to seats.

Am I just mis-remembering the comfort level of the seats? Thanks for any input!
Old 12-28-2019, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
My 2018 seats are fairly comfortable. Just remember the 2019 Tech got perforated leather seats. In 2018 they were only on the Advanced. Perforated seats make for a cooler sest. Also stay away from black interiors.
The following users liked this post:
jcbama85 (01-11-2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
according to parts lookup the passenger seat has the same cushion excluding the advance models.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...dXRvbWF0aWM%3D
Old 12-28-2019, 09:38 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Jensenajj
Does the seat quality or comfort change over the years?

I just sat shotgun in a 2020 MDX (tech) for the first time and was immediately impressed by comfort of the seat. I've had a 2016 or 2017 MDX (also tech) as a loaner car a couple of times before, not recently, and remembered the seats as "pretty good" but nothing amazing. I am planning on buying a used MDX and am now wondering if there is a break point in years where the seats were upgraded in terms of comfort. I generally follow Acura release notes "new for this year" type bulletins, and don't remember seeing anything specific to seats.

Am I just mis-remembering the comfort level of the seats? Thanks for any input!
I had a 2013 MDX tech for 7 years and the seats were very comfortable throughout. Did not have any sagging whatsoever.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:24 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Depending on which model you are interested in, I would check out the A-Spec and compared to the base/tech models because the A-Spec have cooled seats with Alcantara seat inserts that may or may not change the seat comfort for you. I usually divide seat comfort into city/commuter/errand comfort compared to hwy/+8hr comfort. We are a lot more forgiving with seat comfort with a city car. Taking a longer test drive might uncover additional items that might help/hurt seat comfort for you.

I had an 11 MDX Adv before upgrading to 19 MDX Adv Sport Hybrid. I'm a big guy at 6'3", 290lbs, and size 14 shoe. My 11 MDX was extremely comfy for me in all four seating positions. Zero issues when I took trips to all three coasts from New Mexico over the last 5 years. I've taken about 5 trips from ABQ to San Antonio (11hrs oneway) and my 19 MDX is a close second to my 11 MDX. I just had to adjust a few things to get max comfort on road trips.

I find the 19 MDX seating position comfy; but, different to my 11 MDX:
- a little narrower seating/driving position for the 19 MDX
- 19 MDX seats are not as contoured and flatter
- firmer seats; but, no discomfort on +11 hr drives compared to the uncomfortable feeling you get on your backside with airline seats on a 11 hr flight.
- I can't rest my left arm on window sill because the interior pillar for the seat belt sticks out too far (my seat is set max rearward, I look out the rear window when I turn my head 90 degrees to the left)
- my 19 MDX door armrest is thinly padded and starts to hurt my elbow after a few hours (can't use the window sill as an armrest because to seat belt pillar thing)
- a little less room for my size 14 shoes, sometimes slip off my shoes for a little extra room for long trips
- the heated and cooled seats don't heat/cool as hot/cool as my 11 MDX Adv; but, still do the job
- 2nd row Captain chairs look very cool; but, not very comfortable for my size and sucks not having seating for 5 when needed. My 11 MDX 2nd row was the same comfort level as the front seats and I can do 5 adults.

Ebony will do the best job at hiding stains an normal nicks/scuffs compared to other colors. My Graystone is starting to show some light staining after +12000 miles (probably from blue jeans) on the driver's seat.

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-29-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35

Ebony will do the best job at hiding stains an normal nicks/scuffs compared to other colors. My Graystone is starting to show some light staining after +12000 miles (probably from blue jeans) on the driver's seat.
^^^^^Had seacoast interior on previous RLX and the blue jean blue hue certainly stained the leather. It didn't matter how much I cleaned and protected the leather. Not sure about the reasoning from the previous post from Donn0128 about staying away from black interiors.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:52 AM
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
Have you ever been in the deep south in the summer? Black interiors are hotter than blazes.
we have the tan interior and yes, blue jeans will discolor it some. But clean with good leather cleaner like saddle soap only takes a few minutes and leaves the interior sparkeling clean. Followed by quality leather conditioner and their good for weeks again. Have had numerous cars with dark interiors, even in Oregon the interior can get scortching hot on a summer day.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Now the comment makes sense. Remote start, tinted windows, and ventilated seats helps the cause.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone for the posts!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:50 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
...Ebony will do the best job at hiding stains an normal nicks/scuffs compared to other colors. My Graystone is starting to show some light staining after +12000 miles (probably from blue jeans) on the driver's seat.
Originally Posted by moose66
^^^^^Had seacoast interior on previous RLX and the blue jean blue hue certainly stained the leather. It didn't matter how much I cleaned and protected the leather. ..
Originally Posted by Donn0128
...we have the tan interior and yes, blue jeans will discolor it some. But clean with good leather cleaner like saddle soap only takes a few minutes and leaves the interior sparkeling clean. Followed by quality leather conditioner and their good for weeks again. Have had numerous cars with dark interiors, even in Oregon the interior can get scortching hot on a summer day.
Yes, the most common stains are from dye transfer - and usually from jeans, leather belts or leather jackets. To properly clean it, you need something intended to remove dye transfer like Leather Master. I'm a great fan of Leatherique but it is too much of a pain to use regularly, so my go-to cleaner is LeatherMaster strong cleaner followed by the conditioner.

Saddle soap is notoriously bad for use on automotive leathers. Automotive leathers are coated and the saddle soap will ultimately damage that coating. It is best to use products intended for coated leathers.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
moose66 (01-06-2020), mrgold35 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 06:25 AM
mrgold35

I did Ceramic Pro for the interior of my MDX that is good for +3 years depending on use. They said I would need to re-do the driver's seat every year for $30 since that gets the most wear/tear. I clean the interior surfaces with a damp lint free cloth dipped in fresh soapy water for ceramic coatings (use the same soap for exterior ceramic coating). I wanted to give Ceramic pro a try for the interior because I hate cleaning interior glass haze caused from petroleum based conditioners. So far, windshield haze isn't building up like my 11 MDX (11 MDX haze start back up after a week or so).
Old 01-06-2020, 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Great mention of interior haze from all of the products used to protect the interior mrgold35. I used to wonder why the interior windows seemed to get hazy so fast in my vehicles,especially in the summer. Years ago, when Armour All was the rave, I used to coat that stuff on everything which amounted to a slick, shiny mess. With age comes wisdom . . . . .at least a little!
Old 01-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Depending on which model you are interested in, I would check out the A-Spec and compared to the base/tech models because the A-Spec have cooled seats with Alcantara seat inserts that may or may not change the seat comfort for you. I usually divide seat comfort into city/commuter/errand comfort compared to hwy/+8hr comfort. We are a lot more forgiving with seat comfort with a city car. Taking a longer test drive might uncover additional items that might help/hurt seat comfort for you.

I had an 11 MDX Adv before upgrading to 19 MDX Adv Sport Hybrid. I'm a big guy at 6'3", 290lbs, and size 14 shoe. My 11 MDX was extremely comfy for me in all four seating positions. Zero issues when I took trips to all three coasts from New Mexico over the last 5 years. I've taken about 5 trips from ABQ to San Antonio (11hrs oneway) and my 19 MDX is a close second to my 11 MDX. I just had to adjust a few things to get max comfort on road trips.

I find the 19 MDX seating position comfy; but, different to my 11 MDX:
- a little narrower seating/driving position for the 19 MDX
- 19 MDX seats are not as contoured and flatter
- firmer seats; but, no discomfort on +11 hr drives compared to the uncomfortable feeling you get on your backside with airline seats on a 11 hr flight.
- I can't rest my left arm on window sill because the interior pillar for the seat belt sticks out too far (my seat is set max rearward, I look out the rear window when I turn my head 90 degrees to the left)
- my 19 MDX door armrest is thinly padded and starts to hurt my elbow after a few hours (can't use the window sill as an armrest because to seat belt pillar thing)
- a little less room for my size 14 shoes, sometimes slip off my shoes for a little extra room for long trips
- the heated and cooled seats don't heat/cool as hot/cool as my 11 MDX Adv; but, still do the job
- 2nd row Captain chairs look very cool; but, not very comfortable for my size and sucks not having seating for 5 when needed. My 11 MDX 2nd row was the same comfort level as the front seats and I can do 5 adults.

for the hybrid advance models (or other model with the seat cooling fans), does the fan mechanism sit below of the seat cushion/foam thing or is it inserted into the seat foam? In other words, does the seat cushion have a cut-out so that the fan motor can be inserted into the same space where the foam used to be?

I ask this because on my current RX450h, it's the latter. They cut out so much of the foam that my arse can actually feel the top of the fan motor housing after driving for about an hour (obviously after considerable sagging of the seat bottom cushion with by 190 lbs body). it's not something you notice right away, but it starts to eat away at your coccyx after driving for a while......
Old 01-10-2020, 04:47 PM
mrgold35

I've had the cooled seat feature on my 11 MDX Adv since 2014 and +110,000 mile seat time. Now have the same feature with my 19 MDX Adv and 18 RLX Sport Hybrid and haven't had any discomfort with the cooled seats in all three vehicles. The seat comfy levels seem to feel the same to me in the front or rear position. The longest runs were between 8-12 hours in a day with zero problems at my +290 lbs size. I don't really hear the fans and effectiveness of the cooling can be hit or miss depending on what you are wearing like blue jeans compared to work out shorts.