Power Mods 2015 MDX Advance

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 12:26 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Power Mods 2015 MDX Advance

I know this isn't at the forefront of most peoples minds who purchase a MDX but just in case you are interested let me show you what I have done.

I bought a 2015 Acura MDX Advance at 120K miles about a month and a half ago. I wanted something bigger for the kids but could satisfy my need for some more power. As you see in my signature I have had sedans up until this point. I also like the sleeper look feel so it isn't as obvious to other people on the road. Is my SUV going to blow people away? No of course not and that is not my aim but just to make it funner for me to drive when I am on my own.

-K&N Drop in filter
-Ported and Polished New OEM Throttle Body sent into Halferland performance (high heat reflective silver paint on it too)
-P2R throttle body spacer with heat resistant polymer gaskets to prevent heat soak
-Halferland Performance Coolant Bypass for throttle body
-VCM Muzzler II
-RV6 Jipipe with High flow third Cat
-Roar Peddle Throttle controller

Order of install and subjective feel.

I first added on the K&N drop in filter and that seemed like a noticeable increase. Next I added the Roar peddle throttle controller. It is bluetooth so no wires. I have had sprint booster in the past on previous cars and Roar peddle seems like it could be even more aggressive at the highest settings which is too much for me. But this made the peddle feel much more sensitive and I could shift through the gears easier instead of pressing my foot to the floor. It doesn't make the car faster but it makes it funner to drive. Next I added on the VCM muzzler II to prevent most of the time if not all of VCM activation so as to be in V6 mode all the time while preventing any further problems with oil consumption or damage caused by the system itself which has caused problems on earlier models of Honda/Acura. Still could potentially be a problem on these so I am trying to prevent it. I did not feel the VCM activate previous to it. But even still I wanted to eliminate it. Next I added on the RV6 jpipe which this model has a high flow cat so I won't have to worry about emissions. In the State of Utah they don't care that it is after marker as long as there is a third cat. This mod caused me concern. I felt like I lost low and midrange torque. It was very noticeable. It is definitely louder so if you like the quiet nature of the factory one you will not like this. No drone or rasp at all just louder. Sounds like the vehicle has an after market exhaust from the inside. Not overwhelming at all just throatier. The outside only a little louder. I was trying to let it adapt to the ECU but it never got any better so I considered if it never did I would go back to stock. After doing some research I think what it did was shift the power curve upwards to the higher RPMs but I didn't want to feel like I had to red line it all the time. The next mod fixed the problem. I added on a P2R Throttle body spacer and did a throttle body coolant bypass so the air charges would be cooler and the space has the effective of a longer runner. A throttle body spacer does work and is not snake oil but you have to understand how it works. What it does is shift the power curve to favor more low end. I wanted to regain the low to mid range I lost and it did just that. It felt strong and peppy again. Before the spacer it felt off but with the combo of the two together it felt perfect. Lastly I added on the Venturi effect Throttle body by Halferland performance. I have had 2 bored out TB in the past by the late Maxbore and they felt good but this one felt even better. This process widens opens up the opening of the throttle body and the exit a little more. Also it has a smoother transition. It creates a bigger velocity stack and then once it gets to the throttle blade it opens back up again right afterwards. This process increases the speed at which the air can enter the engine. More velocity, which increases power. This mod gave me even more low end torque, mid range and top end power. The whole rev range was increased. I even had my VSA light come on for split second earlier because I lost traction lower in the rev range and I have not had that happen yet with this car.

So over all the MDX feels strong through the whole rev range. It doesn't feel like it drops off right up till redline. It feel very strong in midrange for great freeway passing power and it feesl strong down low for around town zippiness (low end torque)

If I do anymore I want to do some PNP intake runners and maybe Ktuner with a custom tune. I had Ktuner on my last car and the stock tunes I felt were garbage. The custom tune is where it is at. Specific for you vehicle, gas quality and altitude

Last edited by ultrapogi; 04-30-2024 at 12:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ultrapogi:
14RDXWhite (07-05-2024), godfather2 (05-01-2024), mrgold35 (04-30-2024), RDX10 (05-08-2024)