Maxbore stock throttle body 15-18 V6 TLX

Old 04-10-2018, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Maxbore stock throttle body 15-18 V6 TLX

Stock throttle body pics 2015-18 V6 TLX-RLX-MDX

78mm at opening

Huge

68mm at plate and 70mm at base. If you look closely there is a ridge that extends out from the base out to 75mm or 76mm which is probably that max I would have it bored out IF it can be that big in the first place just so the air doesn’t hit the edge of the. If it really can be bored out that big then it would have more potential then the 3.7 TL throttle body a lot of people have put on to accords and older TLs which could be bored out to 72-73mm.

75.99mm at the manifold.
So I bought a brand new V6 TLX throttle body to be bored out by maxbore. I recently replaced a K&N drop in filter with an aFe drop in filter. Compareing Both those stock filters given no upstream restriction the aFe outflows the KN by around 12%. I felt a noticeable diffference when I added the K&N 30,000 miles ago. A few weeks ago I decided to buy the aFe because the better flow and I didn’t want to clean and reoil the old one. Once again I felt a noticeable difference.

I don’t want to get an aftermarket intake because I don’t like the loud intake sound. Now some might say a bored out throttle body won’t do me any good because of the restrictive stock inake. Well we shall see. I noticed some low end loses with an aftermarket intake which was unacceptable to me.

As as a side note I got just installed today the RV6 HFPCs and Xlr8 AWD j-pipe. So far I feel it has improved the whole range but really improved 3-6k rpms. I still have a stock catback. It is louder then I thought it was going to be. I read from the 3g TL forum that Justnspace said it sounds like shit (just the htpc and jpipe) but on the TLX I don’t think it sounds that bad but I have been hesitant on the full exhaust because of how loud it could be. My wife hates loud. Now if it just sounds like a throaty higher end car with more displacement that is tasteful then I probably will. Once I get the throttle body I have found someone that can do Ktuner in My neck of the woods so I will do that.

This is an interesting read.

2018 Acura RLX : Powertrain - Honda News

alot of the details here apply to the TLX also. If one looks up the part numbers all the throttle body-intake manifold- heads-valve train-block- pistons are all the same. The only difference is the cams, rods and crankshaft. If you notice the manifold is magnesium so that makes the TLX magnesium also making the 3.7 TL manifold not as realivent. Plus with direct injection I don’t know if it would be even compatible.

Maxbore will receive it in the next day or two and then I should get it back a week or so later. For those that want more throttle response this will probably do the trick

Last edited by ultrapogi; 04-10-2018 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (04-29-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:57 PM
Racer

Sorry for the typos. Probably not the best idea to make a post on the phone while taking care of kids.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Curious to see what they can bore it out to.

I swapped a J37 TB onto my RL & it was well worth it, high RPMs is where it was most noticeable.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Racer

Update on the jpipe/HFPC combo. Yea it works great and sounds great....except for 4800-5500rpms. That sounds sucks. It is like a resonance rmetalic rattle. Does anyone know if that goes away with a full catback?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a rv6 hfpc/jpipe combo and feel the differece in power throughout the powerband. Especially at higjer rpm. I did have a nasty rasp around 3-4.5k rpm. I had to add a resonator which made the sound more pleasing.. it is a known issue with this combo. Do a search. Lots of info.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Hope you can extract more power from your bore. Right now, im more interested in the rlx 10AT transmission swap potential for our car given our engine similarities. Will do some research and see.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vteck_10
I have a rv6 hfpc/jpipe combo and feel the differece in power throughout the powerband. Especially at higjer rpm. I did have a nasty rasp around 3-4.5k rpm. I had to add a resonator which made the sound more pleasing.. it is a known issue with this combo. Do a search. Lots of info.
did you have a stock catback with this setup? Where did you add the resonator?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Racer

George at maxbore emailed me and said he is estimating mailing it out by the end of the week. He hurt his back so it has slowed him down. So by next week I should have it installed.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Racer

Maxbore just posted it USPS today! So close! So I will get it back either Saturday or Monday!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Forgot to tell everybody, but i have the full DELETE setup with the circuitwerks cutback. I had a very bad drone and rasp for a while. I added a resonator right BEFORE the mufflers and it took like 50% out. let me know how this boring tb goes.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:36 AM
Racer

73mm. I measured with calipers 73 at the base and 71.5 at the plate unless for some reason my measurement is off when I measure it deeper. So 3mm-3.5mm increase.

so I installed it and when I started it up it immediately died. I started it again and I got tons of computer errors. Everything in the book! It was undrivable. So I took it all apart and put the stock one back on. Same problem. I thought somehow I screwed something up. I check all the sensors. They were all plugged in. Then I gave up thinking I would have to tow it to the dealership. After thinking for a few minutes I went back down and inspected the sensor hookups to see if i splashed any coolant inside from unhooking the coolant tubes. I pulled them far away initially and put a rag down so any slope would soak into the towel. No liquid in any of the sensors. Then I noticed the map sensor wasn’t hooked in but was underneath the plug attachment so it looked like it was plugged it. Did I make such an amateur mistake . I unhooked the battery for a few minutes and hooked it back up. Started the motor and it worked perfect without any error codes. So I turned off the motor and took it apart once more and put the bored throttle body back on. After doing it a few times you get really fast. Like 5 minutes.

Intial impression. Drove it for 15 minutes. Idles perfect. Throttle response is amazing. Feels like it had asthma before and now it has the lungs of a race horse. Pulls strongly and quickly through the rpm range. I noticed the VSA come on more then normal upon strong acceleration around corners. I have the sprint booster red mode 2nd gen and drove it in sport plus mode. Wow! Great and very noticeable mod. As I drive it more the next few days I will update again. Also I don’t have an aftermarket intake just a drop in aFe filter which that in itself felt a big difference compared to a 30,000 mile dirty K&N filter.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 04-22-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ultrapogi.
aFe filter which that in itself felt a big difference compared to a 30,000 mile dirty K&N filter.
To correct myself. I meant a noticeable difference with the aFe filter. The throttle body was a “big”difference.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Racer

It was the mass flow air sensor that was unplugged not the map sensor.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Racer

Quick little update. I really like this mod. The only downside I was noticing the first few days was when I would slow down quickly to do a quick turn and accelerate into the corner (SHAWD is a temptress) the throttle would lag a Little. I was confused I had it In sport + and never experianced in that mode before. Later that day I turned off the traction control wondering if the wheels were about to slip and the ecu cut throttle when I was doing that? I disabled traction control and haven’t had the problem since. So in dry weather to fully enjoy I will disable the vcm out of habit then the traction control.

I am thinking of getting an intake though now because I feel even though it breathes a lot better the top end is suffering. Obviously the stock intake tube is the bottle neck. Now maybe a smidge loss on the low end won’t hurt too much since adding the HFPC/JPIPE has given me lots.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you still have the bored throttle body on there, hows it been doing since then?
Old 03-25-2024, 08:48 AM
Racer

I know this is an old post of mine but I have a newer vehicle and wanted to get another throttle body done by George at Maxbore. He has done one for a 15 TLX and then a 12 TL AWD. I now have a 15 MDX advance. Sadly I found out over the weekend George died from a car accident in december so the shop is closed permanently. I am not sure who else if anyone does bored throttle bodies that are reliable and worth it for our vehicles now.