MDX Makes Chirp/Beep In Low Speed Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:59 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
MDX Makes Chirp/Beep In Low Speed Left Turn

This one is perplexing. When I turn left from a low speed an accelerate lightly, my MDX makes a chirp/beep sound. The sound is from the left, front wheel well area.
Sound is hard to replicate because it is not consistent, so I have not gone to the dealer.

I will paypal $20 to the first one to figure this out.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
It could be a TPMS sensor briefly loosing it's signal causing a faint electronic warning beep...

Honestly, I have no idea...

But I know this has been happening on Lexus's for about 10 years now!!!

I do hope someone can figure this one out, I've been wondering about this myself after a relative of mine reported a similar random act on a Lexus ES300... Last I heard, it went away on its own...

I've never heard such behavior reported in an Acura, Honda, or anything other than a Lexus and maybe few Toyotas...

That's what elections do, malfunction!!!

Oh, about the reward... Good one, I very much enjoyed that, haha!!!

I do wish you the best of luck!!!
Old 08-13-2016, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
E92, I was going to link you to the similar thread on MDXERS, but I see that one is you're too.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
It could be a TPMS sensor briefly loosing it's signal causing a faint electronic warning beep...

Honestly, I have no idea...

But I know this has been happening on Lexus's for about 10 years now!!!

I do hope someone can figure this one out, I've been wondering about this myself after a relative of mine reported a similar random act on a Lexus ES300... Last I heard, it went away on its own...

I've never heard such behavior reported in an Acura, Honda, or anything other than a Lexus and maybe few Toyotas...

That's what elections do, malfunction!!!

Oh, about the reward... Good one, I very much enjoyed that, haha!!!

I do wish you the best of luck!!!
Thanks. Will investigate. I was thinking maybe stability control warning of traction loss? An SHAWD clutch pack slipping?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:07 AM
Pro

UPDATE: Chirp happens when turning left or right. Typically, I am entering a 90 degree turn at 30 to 35 km/hr. I am coasting in and when I accelerate smoothly/lightly I sometimes get the chirp/beep. It is not a tire screech.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
UPDATE: Chirp happens when turning left or right. Typically, I am entering a 90 degree turn at 30 to 35 km/hr. I am coasting in and when I accelerate smoothly/lightly I sometimes get the chirp/beep. It is not a tire screech.
Is there a traction control light on the dash? Have you noticed if it comes on at the same time?

This sounds like a traction control problem (if not tire chirp issues). By the way, how does the tread on your tires look? How many miles?

Low tread/lack of grip may be affecting your traction control system? Just thinking out loud here.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
This one is perplexing. When I turn left from a low speed an accelerate lightly, my MDX makes a chirp/beep sound. The sound is from the left, front wheel well area.
Sound is hard to replicate because it is not consistent, so I have not gone to the dealer.

I will paypal $20 to the first one to figure this out.
See TSB 16-042 - Squeak and/or Pop from the Front Suspension While Turning in the 2014-2016 TSB threads.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 172 Posts
Does it sound like a "buzz" sound and a slight vibration when you make a left turn? My does that too. But it only does it when I am going out on a driveway. For some reason the sound only appears at the parking lot at my work place when I kind of angle slightly to the left to make a left turn out of the driveway. But the sound rarely happen to me while driving into the driveway but rather driving out and it ONLY happen while leaving my work place parking lot..
Old 08-29-2016, 12:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by hondu
Is there a traction control light on the dash? Have you noticed if it comes on at the same time?

This sounds like a traction control problem (if not tire chirp issues). By the way, how does the tread on your tires look? How many miles?

Low tread/lack of grip may be affecting your traction control system? Just thinking out loud here.
Thanks. I have not noticed the traction control light come on. The TC light flashes once in a while when I go over speed bumps too fast. Tires are in new condition.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
Does it sound like a "buzz" sound and a slight vibration when you make a left turn? My does that too. But it only does it when I am going out on a driveway. For some reason the sound only appears at the parking lot at my work place when I kind of angle slightly to the left to make a left turn out of the driveway. But the sound rarely happen to me while driving into the driveway but rather driving out and it ONLY happen while leaving my work place parking lot..
Thanks. Definitely a chirp/beep type sound. No buzz.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

Hmm....but you said it only happen when you turn left? I have that same problem making left turn where there is some noises and the steering wheel feel a slight vibration. Too bad I didnt drive my MDX to work today or I can post a video here to see if we are on the same page.

Thanks. Definitely a chirp/beep type sound. No buzz.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:39 PM
Safety Car

Talked to my buddy who is an engineer at Honda HQ and he send me this:

Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sort of doubt if that is the issue. OP's is 2016. Acura supposedly fixed that issue 2015+.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too - was there ever a solution for this?

My ‘17 Base MDX is doing the same thing. A chirp or beep after I hit the brakes and then accelerate. Seems to happen when it’s downshifting.
Move not noticed any affects with how it drives, etc. Would love a solution.
Thanks!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig Mulcahy
My ‘17 Base MDX is doing the same thing. A chirp or beep after I hit the brakes and then accelerate. Seems to happen when it’s downshifting.
Move not noticed any affects with how it drives, etc. Would love a solution.
Thanks!
Does this generally happen around 20mph?
Old 06-29-2018, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by neoshi
Does this generally happen around 20mph?
I’ve not noted the exact speed, but it’s probably close to 20. It’ll happen when I’m slowing down to turn and then accelerate out of the turn. The chirp happens on the downshift itself and seems to be one of the lower gears, so 20mph is probably in the ballpark.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig Mulcahy

I’ve not noted the exact speed, but it’s probably close to 20. It’ll happen when I’m slowing down to turn and then accelerate out of the turn. The chirp happens on the downshift itself and seems to be one of the lower gears, so 20mph is probably in the ballpark.
Ok, I have the same problem, but Acura cannot figure out what it is. From my research, it is likely the ATF warmer issue (TSB 17-026: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-026.PDF) when your MDX is stone cold, open your radiator cap and check to see if you have brownish/mustardy looking fluid in the radiator. If so, you'll need to change your transmission, radiator, and flush. If you can do the sound consistently, it's bad enough to diagnose and resolve. Mine is not consistent. If your dealer finds another reason, please let me know. I've been going crazy trying to get them to find and resolve the issue, but they're pretty lost since I did not fail a pressure test (but they also didn't do it as prescribed in the TSB and also torqued my fill bolt incorrectly and caused me to spill ATF all over the road).

Last edited by neoshi; 06-29-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by neoshi
Ok, I have the same problem, but Acura cannot figure out what it is. From my research, it is likely the ATF warmer issue (TSB 17-026: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-026.PDF) when your MDX is stone cold, open your radiator cap and check to see if you have brownish/mustardy looking fluid in the radiator. If so, you'll need to change your transmission, radiator, and flush. If you can do the sound consistently, it's bad enough to diagnose and resolve. Mine is not consistent. If your dealer finds another reason, please let me know. I've been going crazy trying to get them to find and resolve the issue, but they're pretty lost since I did not fail a pressure test (but they also didn't do it as prescribed in the TSB and also torqued my fill bolt incorrectly and caused me to spill ATF all over the road).
ok, thanks for the info. I’ll pop the rad cap when I get it back from the body shop (a concrete pillar jumped out at it while a certain member of my household was driving it) 🤑
Thats bad news about the lack of procedure following. This is my first Acura and I was hopeful it and they would be better than that.