Auto engine shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Auto engine shutoff

On my sports Hybrid I noticed that when the car is already warmed up sometimes the auto shutoff does not turn off the engine when I come to a complete stop. 80-90% of the time it shuts off and of course restarts when I press the gas pedal.
have you also noticed this behavior?
Old 10-17-2019, 06:36 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,189 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. EV mode seems to have set of conditions we are not aware of for gas/electric operation. Maybe the battery is low and the gas engine is charging when it happens. I will watch to see the battery level compared to Auto Start/Stop isn't engaging at a stop. I'm usually in Sport mode; but, I don't think that makes a difference for the Auto Start/Stop.

Side Note: I only see max EV battery power probably 1%-5% and it quickly dips. Even on my 12 hour drive to San Antonio only charged the EV battery between 1/3 -2/3 full. I was messing around in Sport+ mode and it maxed out the EV battery in about 1-2 miles of city driving and maintained that level. Might be a good experiment to see is a maxed out battery in Sport+ might engage engine shutoff more often when switching the IDS down?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've noticed the same thing. EV mode seems to have set of conditions we are not aware of for gas/electric operation. Maybe the battery is low and the gas engine is charging when it happens. I will watch to see the battery level compared to Auto Start/Stop isn't engaging at a stop. I'm usually in Sport mode; but, I don't think that makes a difference for the Auto Start/Stop.

Side Note: I only see max EV battery power probably 1%-5% and it quickly dips. Even on my 12 hour drive to San Antonio only charged the EV battery between 1/3 -2/3 full. I was messing around in Sport+ mode and it maxed out the EV battery in about 1-2 miles of city driving and maintained that level. Might be a good experiment to see is a maxed out battery in Sport+ might engage engine shutoff more often when switching the IDS down?
I do most of my commuter driving in Normal mode. It isn’t simply battery level. I have seen auto shut off with one bar only and no auto shutoff with half level. There must be a relation with charge level, current demand (HVAC on or off), external temperature, car temperature (radiator fan on), etc.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalin
I do most of my commuter driving in Normal mode. It isn’t simply battery level. I have seen auto shut off with one bar only and no auto shutoff with half level. There must be a relation with charge level, current demand (HVAC on or off), external temperature, car temperature (radiator fan on), etc.

I agree with this. i also drive 95% in normal mode and mine will come back on for no apparent reason even if the battery is more than half full, and lately i have not even been using the climate system so its not fully dependant on that either.
as Mr. Gold says there must be some other criteria that the computer follows.
That is kind of the 1 thing i find a bit annoying is when i am at a complete stop and foot on the brake and the engine starts up for no apparent( to me ) reason.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Living with auto-start for the first time in my '19 MDX Advance (non hybrid), the list of variables where it decides whether to auto-stop/start or not is mind boggling. In driving the wife's RLX hybrid in normal mode it mostly shuts off at corners and kicks on shortly after takeoff - but sometimes will start while you're sitting there. Seems to be "random", but I'm sure there's something that's making a decision (i.e. not battery level, not A/C setting, not warmup period, etc) I swear sometimes it's just because it's the second tuesday of the month.... ;-)
Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
My sister's old Honda Insight does the same thing. No obvious logic to it.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
My 19 Aspec is the same, sometimes it does not stop, but tells you in the centre display that it wont shut of. Seems random.