Any way to slide 2nd row all the way forward?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Any way to slide 2nd row all the way forward?

I have a 2014 MDX, and we're having our 2nd kid, so that means 2 car seats installed.

My wife doesn't like the idea of having our oldest in the 3rd row, and the seats don't fit next to each other, so that means 1 seat on each side of the 2nd row.

We occasionally have grandparents or others who need to sit in the 3rd row - I thought with only an infant car seat base installed - I'd be able to still slide the seat all the way forward and have someone get into the 3rd row.

However, the MDX requires the seat back also move forward by some amount before the seat will slide all the way forward. The bar at the bottom of the seat only allows the seat to move forward a limited amount, not enough to get into the 3rd row.

So - question is -- has anyone figured out a way to allow the 2nd row to move all the way forward without the back of the seat needing to lean forward as well? I've accidentally done it before while pressing the button for 3rd row access and trying to push the seat forward - but not consistently.

This is a pic of basically what I've got installed on the 2nd row:
and I want to be able to still access the 3rd row with it installed.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you use the two quick release buckles instead of the seat belt (as in your first picture), those bases could be moved in and out so quickly. So, unclip the base, move the seat forward, enter the 3rd row, move the seat back, clip in the base. Sounds like a lot of steps, but it takes no time at all.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by pickettt
If you use the two quick release buckles instead of the seat belt (as in your first picture), those bases could be moved in and out so quickly. So, unclip the base, move the seat forward, enter the 3rd row, move the seat back, clip in the base. Sounds like a lot of steps, but it takes no time at all.
Thanks!

Actually I am using the LATCH connectors in my wife's car (picture was just an example I found on Google Image Search) but the crappy Graco base I have doesn't have quick release LATCH connectors, it has these awful connectors that are hard to get off, and it is a pain to then tighten it back down to be safe.

Our daughter's convertible car seat has the quick release LATCH connectors and it is much easier to install - but obviously much heavier to move since there is no base.

If we were doing it all the time, I would buy a different car seat (like this one: PIPA | Nuna ) which is way easier to install - was hoping maybe there was a "fix" to get the seat to slide all the way forward w/o the back needing to angle forward.

I know in some other cars the seat can slide all the way forward with a carseat in it (works great for 3rd row access even with a forward facing convertible car seat installed) - it is too bad the MDX doesn't have this (even though it seems feasible to modify the rails to maybe allow for this)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:43 AM
Advanced

What perplexes me is why the tether points on the back of the second row of seats are placed so low that the third row must be up to access them. Complete lack of forethought, or....."the law says it has to have tether points, we don't care if they're functional or not."
Old 04-29-2016, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
What perplexes me is why the tether points on the back of the second row of seats are placed so low that the third row must be up to access them. Complete lack of forethought, or....."the law says it has to have tether points, we don't care if they're functional or not."

Huh? I can reach and access the tether points at the back of the 2nd row seats with the 3rd row seats down... Just slide the 2nd row seats forward, and there will be plenty of space for your arms to reach the tethers.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimihaha
Huh? I can reach and access the tether points at the back of the 2nd row seats with the 3rd row seats down... Just slide the 2nd row seats forward, and there will be plenty of space for your arms to reach the tethers.
Thanks, that does give my arm access. However, it is still difficult to tighten the strap from that position. Incidentally, our Toyota has the same poor design.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you really need a minivan. I know, who wants to drive that? Unless you keep adding kids, they'll be out of car seats in a few short years. The lack of drive quality is outweighed, by a huge measure, by the easy access for everyone.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by Zippercat
Sounds like you really need a minivan. I know, who wants to drive that? Unless you keep adding kids, they'll be out of car seats in a few short years. The lack of drive quality is outweighed, by a huge measure, by the easy access for everyone.
We seriously considered the minivan but decided against it because it wouldn't fit in the garage. My 2 car garage is 20' x 20' and there are stairs leading up to the house on my wife's side of the garage meaning the usable space is closer to 17' -- unfortunately most minivans are close to 17' in length which makes it almost impossible to walk behind the van and get into the house. The MDX at 16' is about the largest car we can fit. Wife really wanted something that fits in the garage so she didn't have to deal with getting the kids in and out when there is inclement weather (rain or snow).

It would probably be possible to fit it on the other side of the garage if we removed the storage shelves we have against the wall there but I also have a 4-post lift on that side that gets in the way