Any MDX/RDX owners have kids/babies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 12:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Any MDX/RDX owners have kids/babies?

Hello Crew!

I am a TL nut graduating into the SUV lines and could use some help from you die hard Acura guys. I trust fellow forum members more than I do consumer reports or whatever youtuber or blogger.

Answer any that you have experience with. I want a safe pre owned SH-AWD MDX/RDX model from Acura likely 2017 and newer.

1. I have never been a dad. Baby is due in Jan. Between RDX/MDX would I want one or the other when dealing with car seats and potentially a 2nd kid someday?

2. Wife crashed the her sedan while pregnant - scary but she is OK. So The safety features on our upcoming Acura purchase are important to me & It seems Blind spot Info systems are easier to find on pre owned MDX in my area compared to RDX. We would love to get a vehicle for 30k-40k. Wife seems to want RDX but to get the higher end features I may have to get a newer model $$$ compared to the 2017 -2019 MDX I have been studying. Any thoughts on this topic?

3. A low $30k 2017 compared to a near 40k 2019 would be nice but have been spooked by a few articles I have read on the transmission. Have the software updates/recalls/TSBs ETC resolved a lot of the 2017 concerns or is this a legitimate hesitation I have? Or are all 3gen MDX in the same boat really?

4. Very generally do you guys think 2017-2019 MDXs likely be more or less reliable/maintenance than the same years of RDX?

5. I test drove a 2019 or 2020 RDX and it did have decent pick up but I have always had V6 Acura TLs and am hesitant to go with a 4 cylinder. Thoughts? Anyone go 4 banger and regret it?

6. Do you think I'd regret going 2017 on the topic of Apple car play?

7. I have read that the touch pad for screen control on the more modern models is more user friendly than the Lexus versions of it. Still I kind of like the idea of a touch screen on the 2017. What is your opinion?

That is all that comes to mind for now. Any other words of wisdom feel free to write - I'd appreciate it. Cheers :-)

Last edited by the.bet; 09-30-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by the.bet
Hello Crew!

I am a TL nut graduating into the SUV lines and could use some help from you die hard Acura guys. I trust fellow forum members more than I do consumer reports or whatever youtuber or blogger.

Answer any that you have experience with. I want a safe pre owned SH-AWD MDX/RDX model from Acura likely 2017 and newer.

1. I have never been a dad. Baby is due in Jan. Between RDX/MDX would I want one or the other when dealing with car seats and potentially a 2nd kid someday?

2. Wife crashed the her sedan while pregnant - scary but she is OK. So The safety features on our upcoming Acura purchase are important to me & It seems Blind spot Info systems are easier to find on pre owned MDX in my area compared to RDX. We would love to get a vehicle for 30k-40k. Wife seems to want RDX but to get the higher end features I may have to get a newer model $$$ compared to the 2017 -2019 MDX I have been studying. Any thoughts on this topic?

3. A low $30k 2017 compared to a near 40k 2019 would be nice but have been spooked by a few articles I have read on the transmission. Have the software updates/recalls/TSBs ETC resolved a lot of the 2017 concerns or is this a legitimate hesitation I have? Or are all 3gen MDX in the same boat really?

4. Very generally do you guys think 2017-2019 MDXs likely be more or less reliable/maintenance than the same years of RDX?

5. I test drove a 2019 or 2020 RDX and it did have decent pick up but I have always had V6 Acura TLs and am hesitant to go with a 4 cylinder. Thoughts? Anyone go 4 banger and regret it?

6. Do you think I'd regret going 2017 on the topic of Apple car play?

7. I have read that the touch pad for screen control on the more modern models

That is all that comes to mind for now. Any other words of wisdom feel free to write - I'd appreciate it. Cheers :-)

I have twin 2.5 year olds and planning on upgrading from a 2007 RX350. 3rd Gen MDX or Lexus GX460 fits my budget. I test drove both yesterday and can share with you what i thought on the MDX.

You shouldn't have any issue in the second row for car seats, the third row, when folded down will be able to fit a stroller. If the third row is in use then you will not be able to utilize the rear of that for any substantial stroller, maybe one of those compact ones but that's about it.

I drove a 2018 base with no nav, no blind spot monitoring or any safety features. I didnt even know that an MDX could be optioned that way. The interior on it seemed good enough. Pickup was good but the immediate shift from 1st to 2nd was very weird feeling, and when we gunned it at 45 there was simply no response for a lonnng time. I think if you search online you'll find a bunch of weird transmission problems like that. With that said, for the price i think it would be a fine family vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
the.bet (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 01:00 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Another option is the 16-18 RDX in Adv trim. I don't think there was a significant size difference between the 2nd Gen RDX compared to the 3rd Gen RDX. It would have a 3.5L V-6 with a 6AT with potentially better mpgs compared to the +19 RDX with the 2.0T. Tech level would be about the same as the 3rd Gen MDX (not 100% sure if carplay was ever added to the 2nd Gen RDX). The 2nd Gen RDX will get you into a very good V-6 SUV now at a cheaper price. You can upgrade down the road if you need a larger vehicle for two kids once prices return to normal.
the.bet (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
we have a 3 and 5 yrs. Have 2016 and 2020 MDX and drove the RDX many times while the 2016 in for services. In this situation, my impressions are:
1. RDX is way too small.
2. MDX 3rd row is down all the time because the space behind is small, can't even fit a stroller. Sitting in 2-3rd row is very harsh, not as smooth as 1st row, I still don't understand why.
3. Both handle great and no issues with the ZF9 after all the patches installed.
4. Given the current price on used cars, I am going to trade in 1 MDX and pay not much more for a new Kia Carnival EX van. it's just more practical with kids.
5. overall, the build quality of the MDX is pretty bad if compare with other luxury brand. Good materials, just low QC. I sat in the 22 MDX and still the same. Just a nice Honda. nowhere near Lexus, BMW, MB

Last edited by nhhiep; 09-30-2021 at 02:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nhhiep:
fattydub (10-12-2021), the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 07:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
With the 3rd row fold down, the MDX has tons of "permanent" storage space for kids related items, such as stroller, bicycle, scooter, etc. and still have room for groceries and boxes purchases.
NVAKeith (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
We have three kids, 12/8/5, and have a 2020 MDX ASpec and a 2022 Odyssey Elite. Although you may not need a third row with two kids (before our third was born, we'd had a 2007 MDX Sport/Ent for 8 years and honestly never used the third row), it is tight for adults. However, my little guys get in/out with ease, but it's only a matter of time before nobody fits back there ; ) Agree with the other posters that a nice/substantial stroller will not fit with both seats up in the third row.

I have not had any issues with ride quality in the second row. We've taken it long (26+ hours there/back) and short (~5 hours there/back) road trips fairly comfortably (but my guys are good road trippers). Sport can be harsh in general, but the Comfort setting did the trick.

Ours drives really well and I've never had an issue with the trans. I drive it fairly aggressively sometimes when I'm alone, and have found it to meet the demand. To each their own on the build quality front, but the MDX is pretty solid for what it is/does. I prefer Honda and trust the brand, so I contemplated the Pilot as well... The MDX feels better on the road in all kinds of conditions.

But if you want to be really comfortable while moving people, capably get in/out without a hassle, and store a lot of stuff conveniently - get a minivan. Obviously, I prefer the Odyssey - which is more premium in some areas (seating, space, trans) than the MDX. We drove it to/from Florida earlier this year... really a great road trip vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dymondawg:
mrgold35 (10-02-2021), the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 09:21 AM
mrgold35

I would (me only) would test drive all the contenders and even take a car seat and stroller to test out ease of use. Used vehicle prices are at least 20% higher than they should be and new vehicles are going for MSRP+additional dealership markups starting at +$3000 now. I would narrow down my choice after test driving them all. I would expand my search to a distance I'm comfortable with driving/fly in a day or so. Prices can be regional and it might come out cheaper to drive/fly +500 miles with an overnight stay compared to buying local.
the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Agree with what others are saying. Unless you routinely travel light, go for the MDX over the RDX. We also preferred the bench seat instead of captains chairs so we could carry a third kid without messing with the third row.
the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
RDX vs MDX is like our daughters decision between ford edge and escape. Edge won out easily, Based on our daughter and kids and the grandkids traveling with us, MDX wins hands down. over the RDX lots more trunk room and when the grandkids were young the biggest issue is how easily and how well car seats fit in the second row. Then comes how much trunk space.
the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad she's ok! 3 and 6 year old boys in tow most of the time. I went from a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6spd manual. We have a 2014 mdx nav. It may not seem like a big difference in size, but the MDX is significantly larger. The third row is VERY handy for times when you need the extra passengers. I would say though it's more of a kid's area as the space is tight and the floor is not that deep. Our third row is mostly down for storage. Getting strollers and other items has been pretty good overall. The MDX isn't the biggest for storage in it's class but not the smallest. We do use a roof carrier for cottage/camping trips and it makes a huge difference. Having Carplay would be a real nice to have especially as the Honda nav sucks pretty bad. Also go 17+ as the infotainment will not be as slow.
the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:53 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by fattydub
Glad she's ok! 3 and 6 year old boys in tow most of the time. I went from a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6spd manual. We have a 2014 mdx nav. It may not seem like a big difference in size, but the MDX is significantly larger. The third row is VERY handy for times when you need the extra passengers. I would say though it's more of a kid's area as the space is tight and the floor is not that deep. Our third row is mostly down for storage. Getting strollers and other items has been pretty good overall. The MDX isn't the biggest for storage in it's class but not the smallest. We do use a roof carrier for cottage/camping trips and it makes a huge difference. Having Carplay would be a real nice to have especially as the Honda nav sucks pretty bad. Also go 17+ as the infotainment will not be as slow.
The 17 MDX still has the same info-tainment as the 14-16 MDXs. The 18-20 MDX has the updated info-tainment with Carplay. Plus, Acura isn't going to support Acuralink with the 14-17 MDXs pretty soon. Acuralinks works much better sending addresses to the Acura navi compared to inputting by hand. Nice to have the option between 4 navi systems with carplay with my 19 MDX.
the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
MDX is a bit overkill if you have just one kid, but if you want to futureproof and plan to have more, then the RDX is a bit too small. Both cars will work but if you're after passive safety, the MDX is going to win on account of being bigger. Frankly, the Pilot is going to do baby stuff better than both of these, and if you stay away from the Touring and Elite trims you can avoid the ZF9.
the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
We got our 17 MDX for my brother's school carpool program. I grew up with an 05 Odyssey EX-L w/ RES and Navi. If you want to future-proof the fleet, the MDX would be the best option. I wouldn't go with the RDX, especially the current gen for a growing family. Honestly, look into getting an Odyssey; its literally the best vehicle for a growing family.
the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:17 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks all for your input. It helped us consider various options.

Ended up getting a well equipped Pre owned 2019 MDX. Tech package, remote starter Good wheels/tires 59 k miles $35k pre owned have been selling fast in our area lately

No Issues so far, though I am used to the acceleration of my TL & had to abort mission when passing the other day. no biggie ill get used to it haha :-)

Again thanks to all who took the time to message. -cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by the.bet:
bmoua15 (10-20-2021), mrgold35 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 06:19 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Ended up getting a well equipped Pre owned 2019 MDX. Tech package, remote starter Good wheels/tires 59 k miles $35k pre owned have been selling fast in our area lately

No Issues so far, though I am used to the acceleration of my TL & had to abort mission when passing the other day. no biggie ill get used to it haha :-)

Next step is to upgrade to 255/45/20 summer tires
the.bet (11-28-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

seems like we were both shopping at the same time with the same situation! I hated the transmission during my test drive on a 19 base. But I drove a 17 hybrid advance and wow it was a totally different car, I can't overstate enough how different it was. Either the tranny on the base I drove needed a software update or was just bad I don't know but I wasn't going to put up with that kind of hassle and unease.

the 17 hybrid advance had 77k miles, no warranty but was maintained at the dealership. Out the door for $33k. About to fill up my first tank of gas and looks like I avged 26 mpg 70 city /30 hwy
Old 10-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by evident
seems like we were both shopping at the same time with the same situation! I hated the transmission during my test drive on a 19 base. But I drove a 17 hybrid advance and wow it was a totally different car, I can't overstate enough how different it was. Either the tranny on the base I drove needed a software update or was just bad I don't know but I wasn't going to put up with that kind of hassle and unease.

the 17 hybrid advance had 77k miles, no warranty but was maintained at the dealership. Out the door for $33k. About to fill up my first tank of gas and looks like I avged 26 mpg 70 city /30 hwy
The base and SH-AWD has the finest German engineering known to mankind, called "ZF-9spd Automatic Transmission". The Sport Hybrid, has Honda's 7spd Dual Clutch Transmission. The shifting behavior between the two is night and day.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:15 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by evident
The hybrid components has a 8 year and 100,000 mile warranty. I'm not 100% sure what is covered. Far as I can tell, the only maintenance for the EV components is the coolant for the DC inverter at 100,000 miles (takes the same coolant as the engine).
Old 11-13-2021, 12:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
MDX is just amazing for families. I think with one kid, MDX May be an overkill but believe me, we are so happy since we got our 2020 mdx. Plenty of room and perfect for a family of 4.
My neighbor had 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen MDX and they switched to RX for a change and experience. They are regretting and can’t wait for their lease to be over, so they can switch back to mdx. They always tell me: “I am lucky to have this amazing car, they miss theirs!”
Old 11-15-2021, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
We have both, we first purchased a 2012 RDX, our 2 kids being overage in height fit fine even in booster seats. Then our Rav was on its way out so we traded both for an MDX. So much space and much more comfortable (for us). We recently purchased a RDX. I find it's fine for around the neighborhood drive to stores but with all the stuff that comes along with kids and a dog it's nowhere near the MDX, plus many times we have brought along their friends in the MDX can't do that with the RDX. During the time we had the RDX and the Rav I was always telling my wife that we should have purchased the MDX instead. Live and learn...
Old 11-18-2021, 08:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
Originally Posted by Willowbeast
We have both, we first purchased a 2012 RDX, our 2 kids being overage in height fit fine even in booster seats. Then our Rav was on its way out so we traded both for an MDX. So much space and much more comfortable (for us). We recently purchased a RDX. I find it's fine for around the neighborhood drive to stores but with all the stuff that comes along with kids and a dog it's nowhere near the MDX, plus many times we have brought along their friends in the MDX can't do that with the RDX. During the time we had the RDX and the Rav I was always telling my wife that we should have purchased the MDX instead. Live and learn...
MDX is just perfect for 2 kids and Costco trips and of course if you go to cottage on the weekend. I never have issue with space.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:07 AM
Cruisin'

1 Month Later thoughts

1. I will have to look into the tires "bmoua15" mentioned once she wears down the ones that are on it now. He mentioned "255/45/20 summer tires" Anyone else use that set up?
2. The car my wife crashed was a Kia Optima Hybrid. Let me tell you, I see the gas station on my CC statements about 2X as often now compared to her Hybrid sedan days. -No regrets just feedback in case any other readers are weighing options.

3. I have my eyes on some OEM accessories. the Running boards look kind of cool on some colors. Some of the Door Guard items I like too.. I am also considering the . Moonroof Visor.

OEM ain't cheap though. I wish I could get all that stuff for Wife instead of clothing, purses/Jewelry etc. for Xmas but she has made it clear that won't fly. HAHA hey I had to try
Old 01-21-2022, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Month Later thoughts
3. I have my eyes on some OEM accessories. the Running boards look kind of cool on some colors. Some of the Door Guard items I like too.. I am also considering the . Moonroof Visor.
OEM ain't cheap though. I wish I could get all that stuff for Wife instead of clothing, purses/Jewelry etc. for Xmas but she has made it clear that won't fly. HAHA hey I had to try
The Door Guards are probably useful. The running boards do look nice, and they came already installed on ours, but I feel like functionally they really aren't that useful. The one accessory that my wife LOVES is the heated steering wheel, so I would recommend that one above all others. Also the 2nd row seat cover is great, especially for car seats and small kids.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:31 PM
mrgold35

I have the running boards on my 19 MDX. I like them because I can reach the roof when I wash/dry, helps with my +85 year old in-laws getting in/out of the MDX, and they protect the sides from debris strikes.

I also did at time of purchase:
- door edge guards and they are worth the money
- color matched splash guards
- all weather mats (1st, 2nd, & 3rd rows), 2 minutes to clean
- tri fold OEM cargo tray
- universal cargo net that is spread eagle between the 4 tie down hooks (used D hook carabiners for faster hook/unhook)
- hatch area cargo cover
- cross bars
- front window tint
- OEM hitch with harness
- spare tire kit with full size spare
Old 01-22-2022, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
+1 for the heated steering wheel and cargo net