Opinion on Tires for 19" Rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Opinion on Tires for 19" Rims

With a tax refund looming in my future... its time to buy some rims and tires for my beloved TSX. I know which rims i will get (19" Ron Jon Legends GR), but i have some questions about tires.

1. I see the majority of people on this forum opt for 245/35/r19's. Ron Jon recommends 225/40/r19's. I see some people on here with 245/40/r19s.

I would like to know why people pick what size and why, so that i can make a good choice.

2. Where do people buy there tires from for good prices?

3. I see that most people get the bridgestone potenza's. Are these the all season tires or summer tires that are being bought. i was looking at that tire, and the pirelli pzero nero's. And again, is it recommended to get all season tires, or summer tires (i will be putting my stock rims and tires on for winter, and live in NJ if it makes a difference to anyone). If there are any other tires you can suggest please let me know.

Sorry for all the questions, but i just want to do it right the first time around!

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Since you are keeping your stock rims/tires I would strongly recommend getting a summer tire for your ron jons. Summer tires typically have superior wet/dry performance in warm weather when compared to an all season tire. Also keep in mind that you may also need to get a set of TPMS for your new set of rims. For that I would say look on ebay for a used set to save some money.

As for the other stuff I'm not sure about so I'll see what others have to say
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by denwhat
Since you are keeping your stock rims/tires I would strongly recommend getting a summer tire for your ron jons. Summer tires typically have superior wet/dry performance in warm weather when compared to an all season tire. Also keep in mind that you may also need to get a set of TPMS for your new set of rims. For that I would say look on ebay for a used set to save some money.

As for the other stuff I'm not sure about so I'll see what others have to say
denwhat... i didn't even think about that. Thanks for the heads up!

do you have any links to the OEM ones, including everything i would need for it to work? new or used? Part #s? Thanks

Last edited by GameOver69; 03-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
discounttiredirect and tirerack where the 2 cheapest that i found. discount tire matched the price from discounttiredirect.com and were really helpful.

i like 245/35s. im not sure a 40 would clear if you were dropped.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GameOver69
denwhat... i didn't even think about that. Thanks for the heads up!

do you have any links to the OEM ones, including everything i would need for it to work? new or used? Part #s? Thanks
I believe its 42753-TL2-A51
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...t&ListAll=Part

If you look on ebay, there should be ones for under 50/each new...I believe dealer price is 100 each. If you find used ones for cheap go for it, though I would get new washer/nuts which are a few dollars each from a dealer.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got an order on the way of Stance Sc-5 wheels 19" 8.5 and 9.5. And I'm looking for an aggressive look so I ordered 245/35/19 in the front and 265/30/19 in the rear. I'll let you know how it goes. Also I think tires depend a lot on your state and the weather conditions. For instance, I live in Florida so can get away with a sport tire good in rain and warm weather. I ordered Nankang NS2's but where a package with the wheels. I would look at tire-rack or maybe a local dealer for your best price.

P.S Times are hard and company's are hurting for business so if you find a place with a good price and know exactly what you want take it in to a local place and I can almost guarantee they'll match it as long as its a legitimate company.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 AM
TSX x2

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
With a tax refund looming in my future... its time to buy some rims and tires for my beloved TSX. I know which rims i will get (19" Ron Jon Legends GR), but i have some questions about tires.

1. I see the majority of people on this forum opt for 245/35/r19's. Ron Jon recommends 225/40/r19's. I see some people on here with 245/40/r19s.

I would like to know why people pick what size and why, so that i can make a good choice.

2. Where do people buy there tires from for good prices?

3. I see that most people get the bridgestone potenza's. Are these the all season tires or summer tires that are being bought. i was looking at that tire, and the pirelli pzero nero's. And again, is it recommended to get all season tires, or summer tires (i will be putting my stock rims and tires on for winter, and live in NJ if it makes a difference to anyone). If there are any other tires you can suggest please let me know.

Sorry for all the questions, but i just want to do it right the first time around!

Thanks!
1. 245/35/19's on my Ronjons
Why: Its the only tire size that will keep your CU2 SPEEDO as close to accurate, and plus the profile looks a lot better. IMO
2. Discount Tire Direct, No tax and free fast shipping. Just bring your new tires to your local Discount or Americas Tire (if any), show them your invoice and they will mount and balance them at a discounted price, which includes a lifetime balance and rotation.
3. I went with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, i like the performance from previous experience and has good reviews from owners.
4. Yeah keep you stock wheels for the winter, and yeah, get a new set of OE A51/A52 TPMS for your Ron Jons. Go call Rob at Lynwood and see if he can give you a good deal on a new set. est $70-75 a piece

Good Luck... and OBTW for your Milano Red SE

Last edited by maiku; 03-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
Depending on the offset and width of the rims you can do 245/40. In my opinion it's the best way to go for comfort and looks. The 245/40 will have that impact of a bigger wheel and not a smaller looking set up overall creating more fender gap. Secondly, if you have potholes and nasty pavement to deal with, 35 series tires will put you at a higher risk of bending your rims. Search my Megan and BBS threads and you can see that I have no clearance issues with 245/40s dropped on coils. As for tires, having been around the block a bit and sampled many offerings including the Toyo T1R/S and Mich. PS2, the Hankook EVO V12 are truly a great tire @ 90% of the Toyos and Mich in terms of performance and ride comfort for 30-50% less.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Racer

so the 245/40's would cause incorrect SPEEDO readings?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
TSX x2

They both will: see below
STOCK @ 225-50-17 with actual speed of 65 mph

245-40-19 your speedo will show 67.17 mph @ 65 mph (slower @ 2.17 mph diff)
245-35-19 your speedo will show 64.73 mph @ 65 mph (slightly faster @ 0.27 mph diff)

heres the link i used: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
The following users liked this post:
GameOver69 (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Racer

very interesting.. thanks for that calculator. Well for me it is important that the speedo is pretty much on point, so i am sold on the 245-35-19s.

I guess now it just picking the right tires.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
very interesting.. thanks for that calculator. Well for me it is important that the speedo is pretty much on point, so i am sold on the 245-35-19s.

I guess now it just picking the right tires.
I would rather a more Comfortable Ride wl a 40
Rim Protection, and a 2mph difference than a Cracked/bent Rim

Its 2 MPH. You wont notice it but im sure you will notice the difference between a 35 and 40 tire... REEEEEAAAALLLLLYYY think about it bro
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by MoaarLow
I would rather a more Comfortable Ride wl a 40
Rim Protection, and a 2mph difference than a Cracked/bent Rim

Its 2 MPH. You wont notice it but im sure you will notice the difference between a 35 and 40 tire... REEEEEAAAALLLLLYYY think about it bro

Plus, the extra 2mph bluff might make you drive more safely
FlipRizzi (03-08-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Let me reiterate my PSA. Using the wrong tire size is considered odometer fraud. That over 3% difference equates to about 1700 miles extra warranty over the 50k. That is significantly serious to allow a manufacturer to void your entire warranty.

Odometer fraud is one of the few things that will allow a manufacturer to void the entire warranty. It will also cause DMV to brand the car as "correct mileage cannot be determined" - that will cause the car to be virtually unsellable.

If the 19 inch wheels won't allow you to get sufficient rubber, then you might be best off choosing a smaller wheel.

What you do is up to you, but please don't come back here whining when you have a failure and the dealer tells you to go fly a kite.

Is "that look" worth jeopardizing your warranty? All it takes is the dealer to annotate that on a service visit and you're toast.
GameOver69 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Racer

i think the 19 in wheel should be fine, in terms of sufficient rubber. I am a very cautious driver with this car as it is, with its stock rims and tires, so i can only imagine how much more i will be with the 19's and slimmer tires. Anything can and may happen, but i guess i have to be prepared for it.

looks do matter, and so does my warranty... so i think i will get the slimmer tires to keep my odometer in check. thanks for that PSA ceb!

what is the proper tire size for 18'' rims out of curiosity?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
for 18
225-45 or 245-40
Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

i think the 19 in wheel should be fine, in terms of sufficient rubber. I am a very cautious driver with this car as it is, with its stock rims and tires, so i can only imagine how much more i will be with the 19's and slimmer tires. Anything can and may happen, but i guess i have to be prepared for it.

looks do matter, and so does my warranty... so i think i will get the slimmer tires to keep my odometer in check. thanks for that PSA ceb!

what is the proper tire size for 18'' rims out of curiosity?
I've found the calculator on this BMW forum to be the easiest to use and the most accurate. Not only can you plug in tire sizes but it'll also calculate offsets. Remember that anything over a 1% variance may cause issues.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
TSX x2

Originally Posted by ceb
Let me reiterate my PSA. Using the wrong tire size is considered odometer fraud. That over 3% difference equates to about 1700 miles extra warranty over the 50k. That is significantly serious to allow a manufacturer to void your entire warranty.

Odometer fraud is one of the few things that will allow a manufacturer to void the entire warranty. It will also cause DMV to brand the car as "correct mileage cannot be determined" - that will cause the car to be virtually unsellable.

If the 19 inch wheels won't allow you to get sufficient rubber, then you might be best off choosing a smaller wheel.

What you do is up to you, but please don't come back here whining when you have a failure and the dealer tells you to go fly a kite.

Is "that look" worth jeopardizing your warranty? All it takes is the dealer to annotate that on a service visit and you're toast.

Really ?!? FRAUD ? you gotta be kidding me.... Dang i better put my stockies back on, now I feel like a criminal for this odometer fraud thing, and plus DMV tagging my vehicle so its not sellable. GREAT, let me think about this. hmmm? I wonder why my local dealer have them 19" RDX wheels on their service loaner cars? Anybody want to buy my 19" wheels?
Thanks for the info.

Maybe that's why Ed sold his 18" Works.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by maiku
Really ?!? FRAUD ? you gotta be kidding me.... Dang i better put my stockies back on, now I feel like a criminal for this odometer fraud thing, and plus DMV tagging my vehicle so its not sellable. GREAT, let me think about this. hmmm? I wonder why my local dealer have them 19" RDX wheels on their service loaner cars? Anybody want to buy my 19" wheels?
Thanks for the info.

This just exemplifies the ignorance of some members. It isn't the wheel size that is a problem, but the outside (sometimes called "rolling") diameter.

The speedometer on virtually all cars is calibrated to show that you are going faster than you really are to keep you from getting tickets (important in Europe where 50 means 50 - not 51.) The odometer is calibrated spot on though.

Using the wrong tire will cause the odometer to read improperly. In the case of the above example, that would extend the warranty by 1700 miles. Since 50k means 50k for the warranty - not 51700. Even if the odometer would read high, the manufacture would still be within his rights to void the entire warranty as the correct odometer reading cannot be established.

Believe what you like, but that is the law. There is a good chance that you'll get lucky and not have a problem, but that is a pretty expensive chance if you're unlucky and the dealer says "hmm, those tires look odd."

Once your car is flagged, the manufacturer has a legal responsibility to report the odometer issue to your DMV - which they will do in a heartbeat to protect themselves.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I got 225/40/19 sitting waiting for my RonJons.

We will see how it goes.. lmfao.

I'm used to (near) forged rims with a thicker tire. So I will definitely have to change my driving habits and be more careful.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by uhohkaitlina

I'm used to (near) forged rims with a thicker tire. So I will definitely have to change my driving habits and be more careful.
why did you go with the thinner tire?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by uhohkaitlina

You may well need to be careful depending on the roads you drive. 19 inch wheels, using the proper rolling diameter is a pretty iffy proposition in the "crummy road belt" that we live in.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Yeahh, I know.

Thinner because I want to be able to go pretty low. We will see how it turns out. I'm sure it will be fine, just gotta be careful!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by maiku
Thanks for the info.

Ed sold his 18's for 16's. he was even considering 15 but i talked him out of it.
tsxronald (03-15-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
You may well need to be careful depending on the roads you drive. 19 inch wheels, using the proper rolling diameter is a pretty iffy proposition in the "crummy road belt" that we live in.
Ceb, I'm going for a drive to get lunch soon. Can you let me know every risk involved so I don't get sued or have something catastrophic happen to my car?

Appreciate it!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Racer

Tire Selection

Can you guys help me pic from the Tires below, let me know what you guys think and why. Thanks!

Kuhmo Ecsta SPT
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=Ecsta+SPT

A slew of Bridgestone Potenza's (dont want to spend more than 300 a tire)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...er=Bridgestone

Pirelli PZero Nero
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Few Yokohoma
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...turer=Yokohama

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Can you guys help me pic from the Tires below, let me know what you guys think and why. Thanks!

Kuhmo Ecsta SPT
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=Ecsta+SPT

A slew of Bridgestone Potenza's (dont want to spend more than 300 a tire)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...er=Bridgestone

Pirelli PZero Nero

Few Yokohoma
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...turer=Yokohama

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
You have a mix of all-season (no-season) and summer performance tires. What do you want? Where do you live? What kind of driving do you do? Are you interested in treadwear? Snow handling? Wet weather performance?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:22 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstak
Ed sold his 18's for 16's. he was even considering 15 but i talked him out of it.
sorry bro, i ended up getting some 15" spinners
Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
dude, moar info on what you need out of a tire
Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Racer

live in nj... daily driver.... will be switching tires/rims out for when it gets cold/snows.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
I'm partial to the Potenzas... totally irrational, too. I just like how it says "Potenza" on the sidewall.

POTENZA!!!!
FlipRizzi (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 119 Posts
I have Falken 452s on my car and couldnt be happier...i know that wasnt one of your choices, but i thought I would confuse you more by throwing it into the mix
Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

live in nj... daily driver.... will be switching tires/rims out for when it gets cold/snows.
Try these links

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...o=86&tab=tires
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...o=72&tab=tires
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...o=87&tab=tires

Probably better than taking advice from a bunch of random people on the intarweb
GameOver69 (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
random people?!?!?!

were internet experts bro
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KillerG
random people?!?!?!

were internet experts bro
Sorry. I don't know what I was thinking
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
Ceb your the man... thanks for your links..... very insightful videos and results.

So from the looks of things, and various online reviews.... i think the michelin pilot super sport looks like it is the winner?

What do you guys think?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

When I researched tires one of the common things I read was that the Michelins were overrated, especially for the price. Something to keep in mind.
VortexBlueTSX (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
When I researched tires one of the common things I read was that the Michelins were overrated, especially for the price. Something to keep in mind.
ive heard the same thing, but what do you think of the comparison made to the potenza's in that report and video.... plus my mechanic also think Michelin makes great tires, and swears by them.... plus i do like the stock michelin's on the tsx.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I did a quick skim of the report and what I think is that as a layman and an average driver, I wouldn't be able to go wrong with either one of those tires, considering what I'm paying. When I look at the stats, the differences are so miniscule that I can't imagine anyone other than a tire expert can tell the difference between them all.

You said that this was for a daily driver? Does ride comfort matter more, or performance? Just looking at the review, they do mention that the Michelins have the hardest ride. They have the best grip, though, so if you plan to attack the twisties, that would be an advantage.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Racer

Both matter... as a daily drive i need some comfort, but when i like to take a hard fast turn, obviously i need some performance.

in the end it may come down to price. I found what i think is a great deal on the potenza's.

http://discounttires.com/product_det...ntainOptions=1
Total = 965 w/ shipping

This is the best i could find on the Michelin's
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....5466&pID=25639
Total = about 1050 w/ shipping

85 bucks is about the difference. Decisions... Decisions!

I will make my mind up soon, but i anyone has anymore thoughts on these two tires, or any others id appreciate it!

Oh and MrOtocinclus... i do like that POTENZA is written on the sidewall as well.

Last edited by GameOver69; 03-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Tires for 19" Rims