Newb suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Newb suspension questions

Let me preface this thread with: "Never messed around with suspension set ups before."

I'm trying to determine if Koni sports with s-techs or pro-kits OR a nice set of coilovers would be the way to go?

Don't shoot me for asking this, but I haven't gotten direct clarification... Is a coilover basically a strut with spring and assembled? Implying there isn't really a big difference between the end product of either combination?

My goals are to eliminate some wheel gap, better overall handling, minimal bounce but not producing a stiff ride the girlfriend will hate on. The coilovers seem to include all parts necessary to install, whereas if I buy konis and springs I still need to replace the other components, like the top hats, dust boots, etc. I also saw the Teins with the pillowball upper mount claim to increase steering feedback, which sounds like something I would want because I'm not a huge fan of the stock steering feel.

On a side note, I'd like to also get a better RSB.

Please let your communal knowledge rain down upon me.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
The basics:

Coilovers are a strut and spring, but depending on make/model, some still require you to reuse your OEM top hat to complete assembly. Coils allow for unlimited height adjustment. Some offer dampening and rebound adjustment of the strut too. Con I can think of: 1) Rust can end all adjustability. 2) You really get what you pay for.

Koni's + XXXX spring allow for one ride height (whatever the spring gives you), but the Koni yellow for our platform has two mounting perches so you can drop a few mm more, so you essentially have "2". Koni Yellows also give you adjustability of dampening. Think stock strut + lowering spring, but better quality and you can soften/stiffen the dampening. Cons 1) Can't adjust height. 2) Price.

Progress and ST makes rear sway bays. Progress is probably the more favorable one. Saw a thread of someone swapping over a 4th gen TL rear sway too.

Others can chime in ...
The following users liked this post:
t3hhcaptain (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Racer

I saw UL makes one too. I was leaning towards the progress, mainly because I have seen and heard good things about them before.

Honestly, I probably don't need the ability to adjust height, though I wouldn't be upset if I could.

Koni's have that 1,000,000 mile warranty, where all the coilovers I've seen have 1 year.

With the tein coilovers, I would be able to adjust dampening and height, and would have the pillowball upper mount that I'm curious about. Does anyone have feedback on the pillowball?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
Be careful looking at Tein coil overs. The Basis line doesn't give you any dampening adjustment, just height.
xtcnrice (04-07-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Racer

Thread revival.

I've decided I'm going to run Koni sports and eibach pro-kit. I'll be ordering and installing them in September.

My plan is to also get all new OEM hardware (mounts, bolts, etc) and have them preassembled for the install.

One of the steps in the service manual for installing shocks is to jack up the suspension to put the weight of the car on it. Can anyone chime in on this?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have never changed a suspension. I would suggest you watch some youtube videos or pay a professional before you drop that car on the ground or on your legs.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Specmiata82
It sounds like you have never changed a suspension. I would suggest you watch some youtube videos or pay a professional before you drop that car on the ground or on your legs.
I am positive I indicated that I haven't worked on suspensions in my first post. I know how to use a jack and jack stands. My legs don't go under the car. This is probably one of the lazier, more useless replies...

For those that are willing to actually provide some assistance, I am referring to step 7 for installation on page 18-27: "Place a floor jack under the lower arm, and raise the suspension to load it with the vehicle’s weight."

On the record, videos I have seen of folks doing suspension work have not had a step like this. Simply remounting the shock and tightening everything up.

Step 10 here: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-...hile-i-928923/ seems to answer my question.
cu2wagon (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 01:28 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you talking about setting up or clocking the bushings??
Old 08-15-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Roland_Bluntzs instructions that cap'n posted is what you need. So thorough.
The following 2 users liked this post by cu2wagon:
t3hhcaptain (08-15-2016), xtcnrice (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
there's more than one way to skin a cat.

if you are by yourself, that would be one way to "compress" the springs in order to get the shock out of shock tower area.

or you can enlist a bunch of friends to jump on the control arm while you wiggle out the shock...

or you can use a prybar or a breaker bar to PRY the control arm in order to wiggle out the shock.

the main objective is to get the shock out and you wont be able to do it without doing one of the three I listed because control arm, and other shit is in the way.
t3hhcaptain (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
there's more than one way to skin a cat.

if you are by yourself, that would be one way to "compress" the springs in order to get the shock out of shock tower area.

or you can enlist a bunch of friends to jump on the control arm while you wiggle out the shock...

or you can use a prybar or a breaker bar to PRY the control arm in order to wiggle out the shock.

the main objective is to get the shock out and you wont be able to do it without doing one of the three I listed because control arm, and other shit is in the way.
The bit I was talking about was installing the front shock assembly once removed, which is where it says to jack it up. It seems this is to get the arm up the the height it needs to be to install the shock assembly.