How to perform "Headlight initial position learning" after suspension drop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to perform "Headlight initial position learning" after suspension drop?

Got my Euro Sport Suspension Kit, the instructions say to perform "Headlight initial position learning" after installing the new suspension. Anybody out there done this, if so I would love some instruction.

Also it says to measure the whel arch height and adjust the "Lane Keeping Assist System" if needed. I'm guessing this is Europe's version of "VSA"; has anybody needed to performing any "aiming" related to this?

Looks like its time to buy a shop manual, who has the best deal on that?

Hope to install the kit this weekend but may have to wait another week... should be fun!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Finally arrived eh. Good luck on the installation. You will love the final result.

You may want to contact the dealer regarding headlight initial position learning. I know some European Honda's has Adaptive Front Lightning System which works in conjunction with steering input to change the direction of the headlight units and illuminate the vehicle's path during turns. But I don't that applies to our TSX.

We do not have the LKAS which uses a camera mounted behind the top of the windscreen to identify the lane in which the vehicle is travelling and to correct any deviation via an appropriate input to the steering. It's not VSA which they also have in Europe.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
USDM TSX's do not have automatic headlights, you must adjust them manually. All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver. You will find the up/down adjustment easily, just look at the back of the headlight and there will be a wheel with spikes facing towards the front of the car. Theres markings on the headlight to tell you which way to turn it to go up or down.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
Finally arrived eh. Good luck on the installation. You will love the final result.

You may want to contact the dealer regarding headlight initial position learning. I know some European Honda's has Adaptive Front Lightning System which works in conjunction with steering input to change the direction of the headlight units and illuminate the vehicle's path during turns. But I don't that applies to our TSX.

We do not have the LKAS which uses a camera mounted behind the top of the windscreen to identify the lane in which the vehicle is travelling and to correct any deviation via an appropriate input to the steering. It's not VSA which they also have in Europe.
I ordered the kit back in August, seems like I have been waiting forever. By the way if you didn't catch my comment about FedEx quotes elsewhere on the forum; their on line price quotes are worhtless. I had Lings hold shippment based on a FedEx quote of $150 US, when the parts arrived I go to schedule the pickup on line and see "List Price" $158, "Your Price" $388. I thought it was a mistake and a phone call would be the fix, 2 days later still no answer. I had Lings ship it for $226, 4 days, done.

I wonder how the Lane Keeping system works, does it actually steer the car or is it an audible alarm? It seems as if the EU version of the car has some cool technology we don't get, not even an option. GET WITH IT ACURA MARKETING!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Instructor

This strays a bit from the original intent for the post but I thought some of you would enjoy this. Check out the brochure for the EU Accord (TSX+++), lots of cool options and differences from our cars. Here is a quick list of options: power mirrors, with passenger tilt down for curb view, headlight washers, auto adjust HID head lights, collision avoidance radar, interior floor lighting red or blue, rear seat ventilation, sport suspension, lane keeping assist; some cool technology and other easy aesthetic like the RED instrument lighting.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/_assets/downloads/accordsaloon/Accord_Saloon.pdf

I realize that the car in Europe costs about $46K but why not offer the options in North America.... Honda / Acura must think this market consists of hillbillies.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Edit: Rush, you do know we have auto tilt on the passenger side in reverse?

The other stuff is way advanced, although a 50K TSX? Holy crap!

Anyway, I've adjusted lights when changing headlight assemblies or big adjustments on ride height up or down.

I think you'll probably be ok just lowering it an inch, but try this;

Take preliminary measurements of your headlight beam pattern height and differential from left to right. I noticed on my car the left beam is a couple inches lower than the right. Makes sense, or could just be a production tolerance variance......but anyway. Find a level parkiing lot and a wall. Back up your car 25 feet from the wall and measure the height of the pattern at that distance. I'd guess it's around 42" off the ground to the top of the very pronounced line these lights make. Personally I wouldn't mess with any L or R adjustments.

After installing your suspension, give it a few days (they always settle *slightly* from initial install, I don't care what anyone says.) Then go back to *the same wall* and measure from the same distance keeping any L to R differential in check.

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 10-15-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by whatarussh
This strays a bit from the original intent for the post but I thought some of you would enjoy this. Check out the brochure for the EU Accord (TSX+++), lots of cool options and differences from our cars. Here is a quick list of options: power mirrors, with passenger tilt down for curb view, headlight washers, auto adjust HID head lights, collision avoidance radar, interior floor lighting red or blue, rear seat ventilation, sport suspension, lane keeping assist; some cool technology and other easy aesthetic like the RED instrument lighting.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/_assets/downloads/accordsaloon/Accord_Saloon.pdf

I realize that the car in Europe costs about $46K but why not offer the options in North America.... Honda / Acura must think this market consists of hillbillies.
Yes, that was my wish list brochure. Too bad they don't offer the power folding mirrors and headlight washer here.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol makes the tsx sound like a Mercedes over there i'm jealous.
I personally didn't change my headlight position at all and my car is pretty much slammed at this point. Still can see fine at night, though I do have to use my high beams on really hilly roads these days ( which i never touched my high beams with a 1" drop or stock ) but for most driving conditions there is no real need to raise them imo. but just an opinion.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Instructor

[quote=HeavyDuty;11407937]Edit: Rush, you do know we have auto tilt on the passenger side in reverse?

Take preliminary measurements of your headlight beam pattern height and differential from left to right. I noticed on my car the left beam is a couple inches lower than the right. Makes sense, or could just be a production tolerance variance......but anyway.

Thanks for the advice; I'll give the suspension few days to settle before doing the adjustment. BTW my left headlight is factory adjusted lower than the right as well.

I had no idea the car has an auto tilt mirror, better check it out with some parallel parking later today. Maybe this will keep the wife from curbing the new wheels... won't help better keep her driving the mini-van.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
really though if you're dropping it 1 " you won't notice a difference.. one inch out for 48"'s is barely noticeable. I didn't notice my headlights low untill it was slammed which is a 3" drop pretty much