Tire bump

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013 | 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Tire bump

I have a 2012 acura tsx with only 7000 miles on it. This morning on one of my wheels there was a small bump that kind of looks like a tumor or something. Anyways does anyone know what causes these bumps/blisters? I'm going to my acura dealer this Thursday but I do not want to get ripped off if the tire was defective to begin with and had a weak spot
Old 03-25-2013 | 05:35 PM
Instructor

Bump usually occurs when you go over a pothole in high speed. I had that too and the mechanic told me it was unsafe to drive until the tire was replaced. Perhaps tire was defective to start off with. You might have a ground for an argument.
Old 03-25-2013 | 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Dealer might be able to help, but tires are warranted by their manufacturer and not Acura/Honda. You might consult the tire warranty book that came with your car.
Old 03-25-2013 | 07:53 PM
Drifting

Both of my front tires have a bump. Too poor to change them.
Old 03-25-2013 | 08:52 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Bumps sound dangerous.
Old 03-26-2013 | 05:34 AM
Intermediate

That makes more sense on how i got that tire blister. I went over an extremely deep pothole near my university entrance and i heard an extremely loud thud after that. i was going 20 mph at most though. Do you think my school will compensate me for damaged tires because of their failure to fix a god dam pot hole near the school entrance?
Old 03-26-2013 | 08:53 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by Andreskim
That makes more sense on how i got that tire blister. I went over an extremely deep pothole near my university entrance and i heard an extremely loud thud after that. i was going 20 mph at most though. Do you think my school will compensate me for damaged tires because of their failure to fix a god dam pot hole near the school entrance?
What's happened is the shock of the pothole impact has separated the plies of the tire and air is trapped between them. Long term, it's not safe and it could blow out at any time (but.... there's no gauantee it will, so it's a crap shoot). Most likely a Michelin dealer will consider this a road hazard defect and will not warranty it. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

I've had this happen to me twice on separate Michelin tires (some time ago), and have not bought a Michelin tire since (and never will). I'll use up the OE tires and replace them with something better, cheaper, and hopefully less prone to impact damage. That said, I'm much more satisfied with the OE Michelin's on my 010 than I was with the ones on my 05 or 07. I've decided it says more about the car than about the tires (it's the 2nd gen being kind of a Japanese Buick thing....).
Old 03-26-2013 | 02:01 PM
Instructor

I doubt it.

Old 03-27-2013 | 07:18 AM
Old Guy

I love the second half of this post. It's further evidence of our becoming an entitlement nation and the epidemic opinion that "Hey, this is America, it has to be someone else's fault...... In all seriousness though, this (being reimbursed for damage) has been pulled off by a few with cities and towns, but I'm skeptical about the OP's chances with a school.
Old 03-27-2013 | 07:31 AM

please get all tires with bumps replaced.

I dont want YOU to crash into ME because of poor maintenance
The following users liked this post:
dallison (03-29-2013)
Old 03-27-2013 | 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I love the second half of this post. It's further evidence of our becoming an entitlement nation and the epidemic opinion that "Hey, this is America, it has to be someone else's fault...... In all seriousness though, this (being reimbursed for damage) has been pulled off by a few with cities and towns, but I'm skeptical about the OP's chances with a school.
how much does it normally cost to replace a single tire? and no need to condescend. I normally wouldn't complain if they were public highway potholes and such but the roads which are damaged are located inside my school. And considering the fact that they sit on top of millions of dollars of funds is ridiculous to me on how they cannot even fix a single pothole in a mannerly time. Funny thing is, TWO WEEKS after my incident they put cones around it so people could avoid it. I'm guessing enough people complained since the pot hole was extremely deep. I emailed their parking services so hopefully they will get back to me.

Last edited by Andreskim; 03-27-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2013 | 04:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Whoever owns the street that the pothole is on has a responibility to pay for damage after it is reported to them and they've had an opportunity to fix it (or if they should have known otherwise)

The method for getting compensation varies and may take a while, but find out who owns the road and ask them.
Old 03-27-2013 | 04:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
Both of my front tires have a bump. Too poor to change them.
The integrity of the tire is damaged and that area could suffer a catastrophic failure at any time. You need to get those tires replaced.
Old 03-27-2013 | 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
Whoever owns the street that the pothole is on has a responibility to pay for damage after it is reported to them and they've had an opportunity to fix it (or if they should have known otherwise)

The method for getting compensation varies and may take a while, but find out who owns the road and ask them.
My university owns the road because it is located on campus. I have emailed them and am waiting for a response. More importantly, where would be the cheapest place to get a new tire other than a dealership? I wholeheartedly abhor my dealership and wouldn't dare step in their store again but that's a whole different story.
Old 03-27-2013 | 08:14 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

My university owns the road because it is located on campus. I have emailed them and am waiting for a response. More importantly, where would be the cheapest place to get a new tire other than a dealership? I wholeheartedly abhor my dealership and wouldn't dare step in their store again but that's a whole different story.
Just because it is located on campus doesn't mean that they own it - but they can tell you.

DiscountTireDirect and Tirerack usually have the best prices but they are mail order - however - most tire chains (NTB/Merchants/Sears/Goodyear etc) will pricematch the online price plus shipping, so try one of them.
Old 03-27-2013 | 08:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceb
The integrity of the tire is damaged and that area could suffer a catastrophic failure at any time. You need to get those tires replaced.
The wheels and tires are going to be replaced within the next couple of weeks. I barely drive the car, so I don't want to spend the cash on two new tires.
Old 03-29-2013 | 09:08 AM
registered pw

Originally Posted by justnspace
please get all tires with bumps replaced.

I dont want YOU to crash into ME because of poor maintenance
if you drive a car like this, you can afford $400 to replace two tires.

That tire could blow and you could cause a major accident or possibly kill someone.
Old 03-31-2013 | 04:08 PM
Racer

you should try to see if the dealer will warranty the tire. or you can try and see if they will prorate a set of two for you.

if you do end up having to buy new tires try and purchase a tire protection plan (if its offered) from wherever you are buying your tires from. those plans usually cover stuff like punctures, bubbles and other miscellaneous issues to do with your tires.

avoid driving on it because the tire can blow!