Thermostat reading closer to cold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
Thermostat reading closer to cold?

Noticed this about two days ago. Even after a 2-3 min warm-up and after being on for 20 minutes or so I'm not near the center of the thermostat and it's like 30-40% near the cold section. Is this normal because I did try to dig up posts and 2 people also experienced this and the other poster said it was normal? If not what could be a possible issue. 2011 with 41k.

I have to go to Acura for a few other things should I just ask them to take a look as well?
Attached Thumbnails Thermostat reading closer to cold?-imag0917_1.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
normal.

as long as that temp gauge doesnt reach HOT, its normal.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Any reason as to why it does that? Just about a week ago it was fine (centered), pretty weird to see a change like that. Don't know if it applies but I was checking this issue and ended up on a BMW forum and they said it makes the car less fuel efficient because the car burns more fuel in order to stay warmer? I guess this doesn't apply to our cars since you say it's normal.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:11 PM

my 2006 TL temp gauge is never centered. ITS always where yours show.

your engine isnt cold, nor is it overheating. that means its working as it should. if you're super worried, hook up a wireless/bluetooth OBDII receiver and download torque to your smart phone.
it will show you how hot your engine is.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
That's how my 2012 tech is .
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
my 2006 TL temp gauge is never centered. ITS always where yours show.

your engine isnt cold, nor is it overheating. that means its working as it should. if you're super worried, hook up a wireless/bluetooth OBDII receiver and download torque to your smart phone.
it will show you how hot your engine is.
Good advice I'll remember that. I really wish there was an answer as to why it did that. Have you seen it where it will go from centered, to near cold, back to centered before (over a span of time not in one drive)? I just can't help but feel if it's not balanced something isn't right. Isn't that what the gauge is made for.

Originally Posted by JTRADAR61
That's how my 2012 tech is .
Has yours always been like that? Or did it randomly occur too?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by rawger
Good advice I'll remember that. I really wish there was an answer as to why it did that. Have you seen it where it will go from centered, to near cold, back to centered before (over a span of time not in one drive)? I just can't help but feel if it's not balanced something isn't right. Isn't that what the gauge is made for.
No.
It's a temperature gauge. a tool. a warning. a guide.
its usefulness is VERY limited, as you can see, its not EXACT. its a gauge.

it's only useful to monitor for start up's and if over heating.
other than those two things, its quite useless.

first use; you'll want to baby a cold engine, not hitting the upper RPM range til the car is in operating temp.

2nd use: if the engine over heats, your engine will die.
if you notice the temp gauge hitting the red, you better pull over and turn off the ignition IMMEDIATELY.

so, what Im really trying to tell you, who cares where the needle is as long as its not cold and its not over heating.
The following users liked this post:
rawger (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The gauge is being read off of a temperature sensor, and as justnspace said is useful to a point. You shouldn't rely on the gauge so much, the gauge could say that everything is normal but your car could be over heating because of a faulty temp snesor.!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 PM
'15 TLX V6 ADV

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my '11 temp gauge is exactly where yours is..
Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

No.
It's a temperature gauge. a tool. a warning. a guide.
its usefulness is VERY limited, as you can see, its not EXACT. its a gauge.

it's only useful to monitor for start up's and if over heating.
other than those two things, its quite useless.

first use; you'll want to baby a cold engine, not hitting the upper RPM range til the car is in operating temp.

2nd use: if the engine over heats, your engine will die.
if you notice the temp gauge hitting the red, you better pull over and turn off the ignition IMMEDIATELY.

so, what Im really trying to tell you, who cares where the needle is as long as its not cold and its not over heating.
Lol you're telling someone who's OCD about stuff like this who cares haha. I get what you are trying to say, I've just never seen a car that randomly decides one week not to be centered and basically sets a new midpoint that it will reach with everything being okay. Ever since it started happening it always goes back to that spot now. Looks like a it's a frequent thing in a TSX as others are commenting saying they have it also, so at least I'm not shitting bricks...

EDIT: I read those links I posted below and am more okay with accepting it now. I just guess this is a Honda/Acura thing because like I've said I've never seen this with any other car before.

Originally Posted by 808CU2
The gauge is being read off of a temperature sensor, and as justnspace said is useful to a point. You shouldn't rely on the gauge so much, the gauge could say that everything is normal but your car could be over heating because of a faulty temp snesor.!
I understand. Like I mentioned above my main concern is why it went from being perfectly centered to the position it is always in now? I guess no one has an answer for that and just accepts it as being normal?

Originally Posted by Sean S Thuok
my '11 temp gauge is exactly where yours is..
Lol. IDK if you were concerned or not. I actually did some digging and found some old threads, people with first gen TSX's asking about the same issue. I think the mindset for some is that with other car manufacturers, it reaches the center most of the time, but I guess with Acura/Honda it's a little different because A LOT of people experience it being slightly under the center to the point where it's the norm. I got the links if anyone else was curious.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/06-owners-does-your-engine-temp-gauge-stop-mid-point-665590/
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/temp-gauge-indicator-slightly-below-center-mark-669989/
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...-2005-tsx.html
Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 AM

OCD people are weird. lol
Jaheri_cbp (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

OCD people are weird. lol