Speakers getting blown out

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 2009 tsx with 9k miles i took it in the first time for speakers being blown and the dealers mistake on the hugh speed buffing on detailing the car befor sale and they fixed the speakers but the region manager said that i had the car buffed and it was my issue i told the dealer the cars was only 2 months old i would have be #1 be willing to say that the car looked like shit and thats why i needed it buffed after 2 months (which the dealer made a deal of washing the car as long as i called in the day befor for free because i wouldnt give them my trade in for the price they told me) and i had never washed nor wanted to pay for a car wash if they were going to wash it all the time for free but acura customer serivce is great and tried to contact the region manager to meet me and tell me how it was my fault but her "respectfully declined" after me waiting 1 1/2 months but ne who about the speakers i have had them replaced 2 times!!!! and going in for the 3rd are they going to ever fix the speaker problem? i would have never boughten the car if it didnt get better mpg then the sti!

damm 2009 tsx tech 6spd under powered needs a turbo P.O.S.
never regret just kick ur self in the ass

any ways im new to this site glad to see something for me to do while at work lmao
Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

i do want to add lol i know this is a few days later i love the quietness of my car to my f-250 turbo diesel great for long drives when i dont need the boat or ne thing great car i just wish it had turbo or was a little faster
Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Is there a...question here somewhere?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

from me no not really just talking lol sharing info or something lol bored at work
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Cruisin'

Quick question. Bought my '09 TSX with Tech Package 2 Weeks Ago and I noticed my Front Left Speakers rattling. I never turn my volume up higher than 12 and I have my bass all the way down. My car only has 300 miles on it and I was wondering if this is covered by warranty and if so for how long? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:59 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ultxx
Quick question. Bought my '09 TSX with Tech Package 2 Weeks Ago and I noticed my Front Left Speakers rattling. I never turn my volume up higher than 12 and I have my bass all the way down. My car only has 300 miles on it and I was wondering if this is covered by warranty and if so for how long? Thanks!
Yeah man that will be 100% covered w/ no questions asked. I had the same exact problem with my front right speaker at about 1.5k miles and it's definitely a manufacturer's defect so the dealer should give you no hassle about replacing the speaker.

Just hit 4.5k miles and I think my front left speaker is starting to rattle as well.....I don't understand why this keeps happening on a car that is supposed to be "upscale."
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Racer

I have had all 4 door speakers replaced and 1 rear decklid speaker over about 4 different occasions. I'm still waiting for my remaining decklid speaker to go bad so I can get it changed too. I asked if they could change it the last time I went just to preempt it...of course not. The dealer wouldn't get paid if its not already bad lol. Same problem...speaker sounds like its rattling. I know I bought the car with at least one rattling...I just didn't notice it on my test drive, but I did notice it soon after I bought the car.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
4th Gear

I guess I made it longer than most, but at 6K miles I've had my first blown speaker (driver's door). The tech at Crown Acura in G'boro said that it was indeed a common problem and that they had found that the screws used to hold the speakers in were always so tight coming from the factory that it caused distortions in the shape of the speaker and caused the problem. He said that every one they had replaced and not tightened the screws down as tight did not have a return problem. He even offered to slightly loosen the screws on all of my speakres to try and prevent any future problems.

This could be complete BS, but let's see...
Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thom228
I guess I made it longer than most, but at 6K miles I've had my first blown speaker (driver's door). The tech at Crown Acura in G'boro said that it was indeed a common problem and that they had found that the screws used to hold the speakers in were always so tight coming from the factory that it caused distortions in the shape of the speaker and caused the problem. He said that every one they had replaced and not tightened the screws down as tight did not have a return problem. He even offered to slightly loosen the screws on all of my speakres to try and prevent any future problems.

This could be complete BS, but let's see...

Well whatever works I guess. I can't imagine that having the speaker screws on tightly causes the speakers to distort so bad as to change their shape. Just thinking of what a speaker looks like, I can't just can't imagine it. I wonder if loosening the screws is going to cause them to get loose and rattle later. I doubt they're using loctite to hold them in place!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmmm, seems like most (if not all) the speakers problems are on the ELS system....

As for the speaker screws being too tight, i wonder what kind of frame these speakers are on to be susceptible to this problem?! Plastic frame?

ELS should have partnered with a more credible speaker manufacturer than Panasonic....
Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 AM
8th Gear

Seems I'm encountering the same issue now.

What's the best way to approach this? I wonder if they solved this problem with the 2010 models. Perhaps they could use those speakers? I'd hate to pick up two new speakers only to have the others blow shortly after.

What's odd is that, while I do notice it on the two rear door speakers, it really doesn't sound bad at all. The fact that it is a problem is more annoying than the result of that problem.

Anyone have any comments about the speakers that were used as replacements? Have they remained solid?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by dark1x
Seems I'm encountering the same issue now.

What's the best way to approach this? I wonder if they solved this problem with the 2010 models. Perhaps they could use those speakers? I'd hate to pick up two new speakers only to have the others blow shortly after.

What's odd is that, while I do notice it on the two rear door speakers, it really doesn't sound bad at all. The fact that it is a problem is more annoying than the result of that problem.

Anyone have any comments about the speakers that were used as replacements? Have they remained solid?
For me so far, so good. The most recent one still needs replaced, though (right rear door) but I am holding out on that one until I need my oil change...was not interested in making a special trip and I can hardly notice it from the driver's seat. It's a little embarrassing when you have passengers, though LOL
Old 06-24-2009, 09:25 PM
8th Gear

That's good to hear. I can only really notice the problem with those speakers if I sit in the back and listen carefully when certain types of audio is being played. When all other speakers are playing together, it's not obvious at all. I'd say that the car probably had this problem when I bought it and I only ended up noticing it after listening to a specific type of music (which brings out the issue).

Still, even with those two speakers sounding poor, the system as whole still impresses.

Hopefully, by now, the speakers they will use as replacements are of a different design.

I suppose I'll take the dealer up on their service. I called them today and they said they can send someone out with a loaner car to my location of choice and bring the TSX back to fix the speaker issues for me. One of the reasons I selected this dealer over another, actually (as they continue this service as long as you own the car). Would save me a lot of time and hassle. The only downside is that it takes a few days for them to actually bring the loaner with minor issues such as this.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

*sigh* So I am driving home from work today and I hear something that sounds way out of place. When I get home and have time to play with the settings and isolate what it is that I had heard, I quickly find that my LEFT REAR DOOR SPEAKER IS BLOWN NOW TOO! This is VERY upsetting, disappointing and boggles my mind totally, as I never listen at high volumes or anything that would strain the system...this is definitely shoddy manufacturing for sure.

Now, as I have read, it could be more of a loose housing issue vs. a truly totally blown speaker, as there does seem to be an awful lot of rattling and "plastic-y" sound coming from this area. But regardless, the point is this should NOT be happening in a vehicle of this caliber. This will mean that F O U R speakers needed to be replaced in my car. Unacceptable!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Yea i dumped mine as soon as 3 years past since the audio was horrendous and could not stand with the muddy watery sound.

Upgraded all 4 and rear deck
Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 AM

Mine's been good after front & rear doors and deck speakers were replaced. I'm trying to keep the volume down a lil bit until I'm ready to replace all of them at once & do the dynamat thing.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Mine's been good after front & rear doors and deck speakers were replaced. I'm trying to keep the volume down a lil bit until I'm ready to replace all of them at once & do the dynamat thing.
I am seriously, seriously considering going aftermarket at this point. I shouldn't even have to worry about spending extra money and crappy quality in an "upgraded" sound system, but...that seems like that would be a better long-term solution.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 AM

It appears to me that each time I have them replaced, I get squawks & creaks in the door panels afterwards. I know the techs get minimal pay for warranty work & therefore don't take the time an owner would doing an R&R.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:21 AM
3rd Gear

Both my drivers side and passenger side door tweeters are making clicking noises.. do you think we're better off with getting aftermarket speakers?
Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by vrrwoong
Both my drivers side and passenger side door tweeters are making clicking noises.. do you think we're better off with getting aftermarket speakers?
I've had all but the door tweeters and the sub replaced once under warranty. I will replace all of them at once with aftermarket ones at some point. (Like the next time one blows, which probably won't be long.)

When you do it yourself, you'll take more time and can take the opportunity to install some Dynamat on the panels and take extra care to silence any loose wires, etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Racer

jeez i'm glad i havent had any blown yet...either that or im going deaf...i always have my radio btwn 30-40
Old 07-14-2009, 12:28 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by patcracks
jeez i'm glad i havent had any blown yet...either that or im going deaf...i always have my radio btwn 30-40
Well, it actually still sounded very good with the rear door speakers blown. It actually took me a while to even notice them. They would crackle a bit with certain frequencies, but were mostly drowned out by the others. I'd imagine the impact it has on the sound quality varies depending on which speakers die.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by patcracks
30-40?!? Yeah, you definitely are going deaf.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunately, it looks like the '09+ TL is having the same issue:

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/speakers-blown-rattle-738054/
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This topic has died down markedly since last year. I'm convinced the blown speaker problem was limited only to the very early build TSX's.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
6th Gear

This is really interesting. I have a 2010 TSX tech and I've noticed rattling in my passenger door speaker as well. I wonder if it is the same issue you guys are having. I've been a bit afraid to blast the radio... might have to take it to the dealer to have it checked out.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 PM
10th Gear

I have an issue with my speakers as well...especially when it's humid it sounds like the speaker is blown.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by olimits7
I have an issue with my speakers as well...especially when it's humid it sounds like the speaker is blown.
Yep, all of mine except for the first one have been way worse when it is really hot and/or humid out...WAY worse...

That leads me to believe that the craftsmanship of the speakers is very shoddy and they are "coming apart" when it gets too warm.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:09 AM
3rd Gear

I have a 2009 TSX with the basic speakers. My tweeters started making crackling and buzzing noises so I took it in to the dealership. After comparing to a new TSX, they told me it was fine and there was no difference between the two. I turned on the stereo the next day and noticed the speakers got even worse. Crackling, buzzing, AND NOW it's even popping! Ridiculous.

Approx. 4500 miles driven..
Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Racer

my 2009 tsx i bought june of 08..i have 17k miles and my front 2 door speakers are blown lol...also my passenger side map light is intermittent at best
Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Advanced

My Dealer replaced the right rear speakers, but both the fronts are cackling... it seems to do it more so when it's colder out, but it'll be a third attempt at fixing these blown speakers...

And the third time for a creaky passenger seat...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear

I just had my front driver's side woofer replaced this morning on a 09 tsx w/ navi with only 2200 miles. I never listen over ~15 so there's no reason for it to have blown out. I could only hear a rattling on certain songs with low mid-range bass

sounds great again after the replacement (under warranty) I was surprised the bill would have only been like $88, seems pretty cheap for parts plus labor (i think labor was ~$30)