Repair scratched up rubber front door grab handles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020 | 01:29 AM
Intermediate

Repair scratched up rubber front door grab handles?

Thinking the prior owner wore a lot of rings because the rubberized front door grab handles in my 2011Sportwagon are pretty chewed up. Wondering if some sort of rubberized paint might refinish them, but I can't find anything. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on how to refinish or repair? Thanks.
​​​​
Old 06-08-2020 | 04:45 PM
RTM
Instructor

I don't wear any jewelry, my dogs don't ride in this car, but the handles are trashed. No idea on a repair, but listening.
Old 06-08-2020 | 05:02 PM

Yeah, I'm super careful and mine still look like they got tossed into a drunken badger fight.

There was a discussion about this some time back and the best option is probably R&R'ing with new units from Acura.
Old 06-08-2020 | 05:05 PM

Here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...estion-951197/

Looks like parts were ~$66 apiece when it first came up... Now, closer to $100.
Old 06-09-2020 | 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Thanks. I saw the thread about the Sportwagon modifications where the poster replaced the scratched pieces after I posted. The cost of the parts is now "not cheap", and you have to remove the door cards to replace the pieces. AND, if the new pieces will end up being scratched like the old pieces, these may become replaceable parts every few years. I'd hate to go through the trouble of installing new pieces, only to have them scratched up in a few years.

I looked at applying some sort of paint-like surface to repair the damage. It looks like PlastiDip dries fairly fast, but may not be durable. It may make more sense to repaint the entire piece with FlexSeal. It takes a longer time to dry, between coats, but seems to be fairly durable. I'd have to fill in the deep scratches first then apply 2-3 thin coats, allowing a day or two drying time in between. I'm willing to do this. In theory, this sounds like it will work, although it may take a week or two to complete, While I have time now (Covid 19), I haven't worked in 3 months and don't know when I might be able to earn some money. I'll wait until I'm working and earning before buying anything other than food.

Anyone have any experience with FlexSeal to repair beat up rubber?.
Old 06-09-2020 | 06:41 PM

Heh, yeah flexseal was on my list of things to try eventually. That and I wanted to talk to the bed liner shops to see if they can thin down their product to get more of a satin finish but, you know, more durable than used toilet paper.
Old 07-13-2020 | 08:00 AM
Intermediate

Hey guys. I'm new here and just recently bought a 12' base, and also have the same issue with the handles. I have a solution. Although maybe not the best, it works for me for now. I used a microfiber towel and window cleaner(foamy suds kind). Apply window cleaner to towel, and put foam onto the soft touch material of the handle. Let it sit for like 10-20 seconds, then with medium to hard pressure start rubbing the material off the handle. It may take a number of passes in the same area. But it will come off.

My "damage" doesn't extend all the way up past the mirror controls. And so what I have done so far to the driver side is essentially marked a horizontal line about an inch below the mirror control. So everything below that line of the soft touch material is gone. And what I have done is "blended" the line. Instead of leaving a hard line, starting a little above the line I rub in a downward motion to blend it. I can post pictures later if anybody is curious to see. I have yet to work on the passenger side, but plan on doing the same.

And if curious. The two pieces that make up the handle have a different finish. The outside lower one has more of a smooth glossy texture, while the inner handle part has a rougher texture. I think they did this so that the part that gets "handle'd" (see what I did there) the most, has the best adhesion for the material.

Hope this helps some. I personally am not about to put $200 in door handles plus the time to install. I'm good with this result. Even though if need be, I can do the whole piece and it might look good? But so far no need for that.