Proud new Acura owner.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:20 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Proud new Acura owner.

Hey guys. This is my first post here. I recently wrecked my 2000 Toyota Avalon. It was a great car. At first I was going to get my dream car, a Nissan 370Z. Then I decided to get something more realistic because I’m fairly low income and a student. I almost went Civic SI but I didn’t want to shift all the time. I live in a dense populated city.

so I went with an Acura TSX 2014. I got it for 14k. I got it so cheap because it had been in one wreck. I check it out and it seems fine on the test drive but I know I’m not out of the woods get.

Since the mileage is only 44k I feel pretty good about it.

So what are the first steps I should take? I was thinking I should take it to Acura and have them inspect it.

Also its leaking on the bottom but it’s very thin liquid. Hope it isn’t anything serious.

I love this car. The handling is so good. It’s so powerful for a little four banger. The Avalon was a V6 and it smokes that thing.

Oh another question : how do I play and skip tracks? Also how do I adjust the screen bridgeness? And how do I make the phone link activate siri instead of the cars version of Siri? I read the manual but didn’t have time to finish it

Thank you guys so much. What do you drive?
Old 09-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Welcome. Hope you didn't end up with a lemon! Also, you should definitely get that leak figured out sooner rather than later.

Regarding your questions:
  1. Since you mentioned Siri, I assume you have an iPhone. Whether you're plugged in via USB or using Bluetooth, you can skip the track using the steering wheel CH (+ or -) buttons. Or if you'd prefer, I think you can use the SKIP (<< >>) head unit buttons.
  2. You can adjust brightness using the sun/moon button on the bottom right side of the head unit controls (next to the INFO/PHONE button). Press it and change the brightness using the knob.
  3. I don't think you can activate Siri when using the voice activated features of this car. Mind you, this car released back in 2008 (10 years ago!), so don't expect too much from this car technologically. If you want to use Siri, you could try and use the "hey Siri" voice command and hope your iPhone picks it up, but this probably won't work if your music is playing too loud.
You're on the right track in that you've at least started reading the manual. I suggest you finish reading it so you get to know the other random little features of this car.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
The transmissions on those are pretty reliable but I'd still consider a drain and refill for good measure. I'm not sure of the exact procedure on the TSX but if it's anything like most Honda's and Acura's, it's just a matter of removing the drain bolt at the bottom of the transmission, letting the fluid drain, then adding that much back into either the dipstick tube or a bolt on top of the transmission. The DW-1 fluid from the Honda dealership works, or you can order it online and probably get it a bit cheaper. If you have a shop do it, they usually charge at least $80 and will use a "compatible" transmission fluid which can be dodgy. The dealer will use the OEM fluid but will probably charge >$100. You can do it yourself for probably $40 or less with just the cost of the fluid.

I had a 2007 TSX that had the same K24 engine (slight differences but nothing significant). It's a high-strung, high-compression engine that would benefit from a good synthetic oil. I'd consider an oil change with something like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. If you're not a DIY'er, then maybe just go conventional since oil change places charge way too much for a synthetic oil change, despite the fact that a 5qt bottle at Walmart is only about $10 more for synthetic than conventional. Typical markup by corner oil shops.

I'd also recommend keeping to the premium fuel that the car recommends. You can use regular, but it's not really good for the car in the long run since it can increase knock.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:36 AM
Instructor

Thank you guys for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Can you provide some link for some black rims that are cheap and light weight? Maybe around 500 for four? losiglow I really love the rims on your profile picture, they look great.

xtcnrice I dont think I got a lemon. It has been driving AMAZINGLY. The only weird thing is that there is a tiny sputter when I am accelerating slowly from 0-5.. But I think it is the car just being bouncy because it has quick acceleration and I am not use to driving a car like that. But I am not sure. I am taking the car to Acura tomorrow for a free inspection. It has a 50k mile warranty and this one only has 45k miles. It is a 2014 model.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Oh by the way, I am almost positive that the leak is from the AC.. It was not as hot today and it did not leak. The oil says 30% so yeah I think I am about to get an oil change soon.