Occasional RPM "wall" at 4k, 2010 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Occasional RPM "wall" at 4k, 2010 6MT

Last week, I wanted to show my daughter what 7k rpm sounds like, so at a stop light I started to rev it out and hit a "wall" at around 4k. It just stopped revving. A minute later at another light, everything was back to normal. A couple of days later, as I was merging onto the highway in third gear, same thing -- it momentarily stopped revving at around 4k. In both cases, the engine was already warmed up.

If this happens again, I'll take it to the dealer for diagnostics, but has anyone else experienced this? It's bizarre.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
The third gear highway merger scenario sounds normal, incline/decline/computer/traction control factors into the rev limit. Turn off traction control and see how the car behaves. With no codes it's hard to know whats going on.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by icu2tsx
The third gear highway merger scenario sounds normal, incline/decline/computer/traction control factors into the rev limit. Turn off traction control and see how the car behaves. With no codes it's hard to know whats going on.
I've learned to turn off the traction control when aggressively merging from a stop, but it's never intervened in rolling acceleration like this. The phenomenon does feel similar though, so who knows?