Axle problems. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Axle problems. Please help

Hey guys,

I have an issue where i get lots of vibration coming from 120km/hr down to 70km/hr or so. Ive ruled out brake rotors.
Ive taken a vid of my axles. Can someone tell me if these are done and need replacing? Also, i live in Toronto and each side is around 600-800$ oem. Anyone had luck with any particular aftermarket ones that i can acquire in canada?

They also seem to be bent in their movement in the bottom vids:

Thanks
Old 11-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drive Axles

Hi I replaced both my left and right with GSP and they are silk smooth compared to how it was. Here is a link where I purchased them from. This place was the cheapest and they fit perfect but were a little hard to remove. Irented the tool from AutoZone-CV axle puller and I couldn't have done it without it, especially on the passenger side.
https://www.carid.com/2007-acura-tl-...165078589.html
The following users liked this post:
D4nnyD (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gregster62
Hi I replaced both my left and right with GSP and they are silk smooth compared to how it was. Here is a link where I purchased them from. This place was the cheapest and they fit perfect but were a little hard to remove. Irented the tool from AutoZone-CV axle puller and I couldn't have done it without it, especially on the passenger side.
https://www.carid.com/2007-acura-tl-...165078589.html
Thanks. shipping back and forth to the states if they send the wrong part or other problems is gonna be a pain in the ass though.

Anyone else can confirm that these need changing? I'm fairly certain they do, but ive never changed axles before so im not sure how a bad/good one should be.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:31 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
The axial movement noise in the second video does not seem abnormal. Visually, they appear within the normal limits. There are many things that can cause vibration. Replacing the axles is not what I would start with.
You don't mention your car's mileage, etc. Does the vibration occur when you're braking?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Im at 138000 kms. Wen the car is moving really slowly i can feel the front end move up and down slowly. And yes, its mainly during higher speed braking but i get it on some range of acceleration as well. I dont know if you can tell from the vids, but one shows the axle appear to be wobbling as if its warped or bent. Car has new rotors and pads all around. Ive swapped wheels back and forth.. changed from summers to winters and same thing. So cant be a wheel balance issue.

Only thing left is axles or hubs. Any other thing im missing?

Last edited by D4nnyD; 11-24-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Na
Old 11-26-2017, 07:31 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
The axle "wobble" you mention appears also within the limits of normal. Remember, you're rotating the axles while the car is lifted. Really can't tell from the videos. Your mileage is low for having serious axles issues under normal driving.
As for the possibility of wheel imbalance, also not likely given your description - however, a couple of things to consider: flat spotting of the tires - sometimes, you need to warm the tires up (by driving a few minutes) until any flat spotting is gone (due to the car being park). Flat spotting will give vibration at certain speeds.
re: new brake rotors - I have seen new ones out-of tolerance and vibrate from day 1. Even rear brake rotors that are not perfectly true will give a slight vibration.

Last edited by TSXV6Guy; 11-26-2017 at 07:34 AM.