Noise - water like sound in the back of tsx 09

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise - water like sound in the back of tsx 09

I noticed today water like noise when suddenly stopping. It sounded like I had water in my trunk. Is that my tank ???? sounds kind of strange and I already check my trunk for any water there but I couldn't find anything. Any ideas ??
Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh my,,, i think we had the same problem... i know what you are talking about... i don't know where it's coming from...
Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 AM
Instructor

Mine does it, too - especially at parking speeds. It's the fuel in the tank

Last edited by SilverCU3; 01-03-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

this is really bad. It makes a car sound really cheap. On every red light or stop sign I feel I have a aquarium filled with water in my tsx - lol. I never had that problem before with my other cars
Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lukas718
this is really bad. It makes a car sound really cheap. On every red light or stop sign I feel I have a aquarium filled with water in my tsx - lol. I never had that problem before with my other cars
I agree, it's a rubbish design - I have no idea why it wasn't picked it up on pre-production evaluation models. I've never heard it any other car I've owned, including a couple of Hondas. It seems worse when the tank is half empty.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverCU3
I agree, it's a rubbish design - I have no idea why it wasn't picked it up on pre-production evaluation models. I've never heard it any other car I've owned, including a couple of Hondas. It seems worse when the tank is half empty.
Have not heard the noise on my car.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
There's foam material made for use in fuel tanks to reduce the sound of sloshing, some vehicles come with it standard. If our cars have a regular Honda style access plate on the tank, there's enough room to put some in if you wanted to.

I haven't noticed mine doing it but maybe...once?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
There's foam material made for use in fuel tanks to reduce the sound of sloshing, some vehicles come with it standard. If our cars have a regular Honda style access plate on the tank, there's enough room to put some in if you wanted to.

I haven't noticed mine doing it but maybe...once?
Thanks - I'll take this up with my dealer and see if I can have it fixed under warranty. It's not a big problem, just annoying once you're aware of it.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Instructor

SilverCu3,

I seems have same problem, too. it sounds like something inside the trunk. it happens even trunk is empty. Can you keep me posted when you have a dealer checked? I would like to let them checked it, too.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tsxuser
SilverCu3,

I seems have same problem, too. it sounds like something inside the trunk. it happens even trunk is empty. Can you keep me posted when you have a dealer checked? I would like to let them checked it, too.
I'm at the dealers next Saturday (16th) to have the driver's door seal replaced - I'll ask about it then and post the result.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Thanks for you responds. what happen of your driver door seal? is it coming loose? The rubber seal seems just tuck in to door, because i have once accidental pull out rear passenger side rubber seal, then i just tuck in back. I don't know is that same with your problem. if so I may ask dealer to replace mine. I don't know about you but I feel i have countless problems with this car.

First, brake vibration. it took me three attempts to dealer. Ends up they replace four rotors.
Second, grinding sound after depress brake. (still unsolved, still claim it is normal for car less than 10,000 miles)
Third, constant crackle sounds from trunk area.
metal sheet in the trunk contact,took two times to fixed by dealer.
Right now, since you mention it, i start feel like water sound in the truck when you stop suddenly is a problem. too.
I also find out my rubber strip on either side of roof is popping up a little bit when you press it, but not loose yet. also my both side of fender (one close to headlight cover) when you press it. you will hear squeezing sound. I don't know is it normal or not.
I am so disappointed about this car.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Thanks for you responds. what happen of your driver door seal? is it coming loose? The rubber seal seems just tuck in to door, because i have once accidental pull out rear passenger side rubber seal, then i just tuck in back. I don't know is that same with your problem. if so I may ask dealer to replace mine. I don't know about you but I feel i have countless problems with this car.

First, brake vibration. it took me three attempts to dealer. Ends up they replace four rotors.
Second, grinding sound after depress brake. (still unsolved, still claim it is normal for car less than 10,000 miles)
Third, constant crackle sounds from trunk area.
metal sheet in the trunk contact,took two times to fixed by dealer.
Right now, since you mention it, i start feel like water sound in the truck when you stop suddenly is a problem. too.
I also find out my rubber strip on either side of roof is popping up a little bit when you press it, but not loose yet. also my both side of fender (one close to headlight cover) when you press it. you will hear squeezing sound. I don't know is it normal or not.
I am so disappointed about this car.
I've been lucky so far as all I've had to worry about are a few bits of squeaky trim on the interior, most of which I've resolved myself.

The door seal was making a really annoying creaking noise right next to my ear so I pulled it away to investigate. I cleaned the metal underneath and siliconed the seal before replacing it but it made no difference. When I checked it against the passenger door I saw that the driver's side seemed to be too small as it was hanging down at the top. If I pressed it tightly at the top, it came away in one corner. I don't know if this is the reason for the noise (I somehow doubt it) but I applied for a new one under warranty, anyway, as all the other's seemed to fit ok. The rubber itself seems to be the cause of the creaking.

Fortunately, my dealer had no hesitation in ordering a new one back in December and it's due to be fitted next week. Since then, however, I've noticed that one of the back ones is loose, too.

I'm not too impressed with the build quality with regard to trim items. The basic car seems to be ok, but I'd certainly think twice before buying another one.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Pro

heavy duty thanks for the rescue.... they fix mine.. yup. it's the foam... i don't know what the dealer is talking about but they fixed it..
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Did they mention it was supposed to have it and was missing from the tank or I wonder if it was a dealer fix from some other app?

I'm drawing a blank on what the name for fuel cell foam is called, but it's good to hear there is a fix.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
10th Gear

I've had this since day 1 on my 2010 tsx. It is a bit annoying especially going up the driveway and braking etc.

So this water noise is different from the
TSB 09-019 which others have reported more noises from the trunk?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Really? I can definitely hear the fuel sloshing around right after I fill the tank and at the parking speeds that everyone mentioned. But the sound always fades as my gas meter lowers, obviously :p. You know it's the gas for sure when you're near empty and you no longer hear the sloshing sound. but I am definitely curious about this foam that some people mentioned. Can anyone add more details about it?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Thanks for you responds. what happen of your driver door seal? is it coming loose? The rubber seal seems just tuck in to door, because i have once accidental pull out rear passenger side rubber seal, then i just tuck in back. I don't know is that same with your problem. if so I may ask dealer to replace mine
I had a new seal fitted yesterday, under warranty. It no longer makes the creaking type sound that it did and, because it now fits much tighter against the metalwork, it no longer pulls away when I touch it. The new one seems to be made from a slightly different material so maybe that was the problem? Anyway, the back door is doing it too so that's going to be replaced soon!

I asked my dealer about the noise from the fuel tank and he said that no-one's complained about it before. He did a search for TSBs relating to it but found nothing. So it looks like Honda UK doesn't recognise it as a fault

Last edited by SilverCU3; 01-17-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lightjak_tsx
heavy duty thanks for the rescue.... they fix mine.. yup. it's the foam... i don't know what the dealer is talking about but they fixed it..
Did they add foam to the tank? Was it done under warranty? How long did it take?

It seems odd that Acura have a fix but Honda doesn't.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM

I'm kinda curious if they installed...windage...foam(?) in the tank or some sound deadening stuff to the floor pan.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Instructor

my did make such sound when fuel tank is full. it diminished when fuel is half. is that same problem you have. i am really sicking tired to go back to dealer. i am going to monitor a little bit to see it will get worse when fuel tank is full.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Instructor

my did make such sound when fuel tank is full. it diminished when fuel is half. is that same problem you have. i am really sicking tired to go back to dealer. i am going to monitor a little bit to see it will get worse when fuel tank is full.
Yes, the sound varies according to how much fuel is in the tank and how hard I brake or accelerate.

If the tank is quite full then it's a definite slopping sound - sometimes repeated a a couple of times depending on how hard I brake.

But if the tank is half full then it's more of a distant 'thud' - just the once and much quieter than the sloshing sound.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 PM
10th Gear

I'm having the same issue (sloshing sound coming from the back of a new tsx 10)How is that? I owned an Acura TSX 09 and never had an issue. Loved that car.( Lossed that car in an accident) Dealership says its the gas tank and theirs nothing they can do.WHAT? How did u guys handle this problem?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM
10th Gear

Are some dealerships installing some type of foam to correct the problem?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Angry Characteristics of all TSX 2010 models?

I called acura client services to report the issue I'm having with a new TSX 2010 model.(sloshing sound coming from the back of the car.) Received a case # and spoke to a case manager. He tells me its the first time he's heard of such a problem.(Thats hard to believe if its deemed a characteristic of the vehicle) Is there someone here that knows more about what is being done about this issue.(Problem)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mike2timetsx owner
He tells me its the first time he's heard of such a problem.(Thats hard to believe if its deemed a characteristic of the vehicle)
That's what I was told, too. I've since written to Honda UK and I'm awaiting a reply.

It's definitely far worse when the tank is full so, if you find it too annoying, try just filling to about 3/4 full.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
10th Gear

Silver ,u there?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

I had a TSX 09 with no problems What happened?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
10th Gear

Silver,u own a honda or an acura?

Last edited by mike2timetsx owner; 02-04-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Instructor

yep. fill 3/4 of gas. you will not hear anything. if have a full tank. you will have a chance to hear more often.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM
10th Gear

WOW! To me that's unacceptable. I believe a correction needs to be made. U now anything about the foam some are talking about? We all need to put in a complaint. Call acura client services and get yourself a complaint #. I was told I was the 1ST. OK!?

Last edited by mike2timetsx owner; 02-04-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 AM
10th Gear

Silver , U have an Accord?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
10th Gear

If it is a chacarteristic, like I've been told, more complaints will be posted.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

yep. fill 3/4 of gas. you will not hear anything. if have a full tank. you will have a chance to hear more often.
So ,if its at 3/4 or less u don't hear any sloshing sound. U sure? I still hear it at 3/4 just not as much.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Silver , U have an Accord?
Yes ... I live in the UK and my car is a Sept. 2009 Accord (Euro) diesel.

As soon as Honda respond, I'll post their answer.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 AM
10th Gear

That's what I was told, too. I've since written to Honda UK and I'm awaiting a reply.

It's definitely far worse when the tank is full so, if you find it too annoying, try just filling to about 3/4 full.
That not right. To me thats unacceptable, When u spend that kind of money.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Instructor

So ,if its at 3/4 or less u don't hear any sloshing sound. U sure? I still hear it at 3/4 just not as much.
It never goes away completely but once it gets below about 3/4 full it turns into a different sound - more like a dull thud than a sloshing. I'm guessing the shape of the fuel tank allows more fore and aft movement when it's full.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
10th Gear

Thats your accord showing under your name? Thats the US acura.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Thats your accord showing under your name? Thats the US acura.
No it's not! It's definitely an Accord Euro ... take another look at the front grille and the badge
Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
10th Gear

I spoke to my dealer today and he informs me if there are enough complaints turned in(Acura or Honda client services,# found on there website)a fix might be implemented. Make the proper calls and get a case # before u hang up.(complaint #)
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Instructor

I spoke to my dealer today and he informs me if there are enough complaints turned in(Acura or Honda client services,# found on there website)a fix might be implemented. Make the proper calls and get a case # before u hang up.(complaint #)
Ok

Quick Reply: Noise - water like sound in the back of tsx 09