Humming noise at 60 mph plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming noise at 60 mph plus

Hello,

I am new to the Acura TSX family, I recently purcahsed a 2009 Acura TSX with Technology package (50,000).

During a winter storm I was driving to work and I slid off the road, I hit my right rear wheel on the curb
(Really not that hard but it did make a solid contact). After leaving work I noticed a humming noise around 60 mph plus. The sound goes away when I turn right even if the wheel slightly turns right it goes away. I went to discount tire and had them balance my wheels to see if that is the issue. They did not report the wheel as being bent.

This would lead me to beleive that the wheel bearing has issues. My questiosn is could it only be the right rear wheel? Am I safe to only replace the right rear wheel bearing?

How difficult is this? I would assume it has to be easier then the front wheel?
I would hate to change the wheel bearing only to find out the wheel is bent.

Thank you!!!!

Mark
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
5th Gear

So should I change the rear wheel bearing or buy a new rim? They are about the same cost.

Thank you!

Mark
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Odl777
So should I change the rear wheel bearing or buy a new rim? They are about the same cost.

Thank you!

Mark
Should I have heart surgery or a gall bladder removal?

Your question is similar. You need to find the cause of the problem and it is unlikely that it is a bent wheel. I suspect some suspension component took a hit. Go to a good suspension shop and have it checked. You'll need an alignment at the very least.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Should I have heart surgery or a gall bladder removal?

Your question is similar. You need to find the cause of the problem and it is unlikely that it is a bent wheel. I suspect some suspension component took a hit. Go to a good suspension shop and have it checked. You'll need an alignment at the very least.
if your chest hurts, get the gall bladder removed... trust me, im a doctor

These statements are not real medical advice
The following 2 users liked this post by PyroDave:
ceb (01-07-2013), MC MiYoung3269 (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
if your chest hurts, get the gall bladder removed... trust me, im a doctor

These statements are not real medical advice
Wouldn't you normally recommend a frontal lobotomy?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM
5th Gear

Does it matter that I did not hit the Front wheel?

I only hit the back passenger side wheel on the curb. Would a allignment be needed for the rear?

If the rear is out of allignment does it make this noise?

the sterring wheel does not vibrate nor pull to one side.

Thank you!

Mark
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Odl777
Does it matter that I did not hit the Front wheel?

I only hit the back passenger side wheel on the curb. Would a allignment be needed for the rear?

If the rear is out of allignment does it make this noise?

the sterring wheel does not vibrate nor pull to one side.

Thank you!

Mark
I'd vote for your problem being a suspension issue; it doesn't take much to throw things out of alignment (either just moving things or by damage). The first thing I'd do is swap out that right rear tire (and wheel). Swap it with one of the others (the OE's are not directional, so it doesn't matter which one you swap it with). Does the noise/seat vibration go away? If so, then you know it's the tire or wheel. You may have damaged the tire and that's why it's humming (belt separation from contact is not that uncommon). If it doesn't go away, then you have a suspension problem. You may have damaged one of the trailing links that hold the wheel in place. If that's possible, I'd visit an Acura dealer; they're most familiar with your car.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Sound like a wheel bearing but I would get it diagnosed first.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
5th Gear

thank you everyone, I am going to swap the wheel this weekend. I am hoping it is somthing cheap like an alignment. The Tires are brand new so if it is belt seperation that would be a bummer.

I will keep you posted......

thank you!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by musty hustla
Sound like a wheel bearing but I would get it diagnosed first.
I re-read the OP's post and I agree, it does sound like it could be a wheel bearing issue.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM
5th Gear

Thanks again!!! I also think it is a wheel bearing.....I called the dealer ship and gave them the story, the mechanic told me I could bring it in but it would cost around 75 to 100 bucks to diagnose the issue. I am like F that! I can take the chance by replacing the wheel bearing for that price.

NTN - OEM Bearing ($142.00)? or would a Timken ($120.00) be ok too? I want to be sure I use whats right as I plan to do this repair myself.

Ebay has some good deals on both....prices above

Acura Dealer $225.00
NTN 142.00.00
Timken 120.00
Old 05-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Hi Odl777:

I had a similar humming noise coming from what I thought was the rear of the car, from sometime around Mar 15 2013. This annoying humming/grinding noise would start at around 40 kmph and then got to a max @ 80 kmph but at 100 kmph or above the hum was bearable but still there. However, I was not sure where the exact noise was coming from the rear passenger side wheel or both the front passenger and rear passenger side wheel.
I also noticed that when I ask a member of my family to listen for any sounds standing outside. when I drove the car at around 40 kmph - they didn't hear any perceptible humming/grinding noise - however for a driver inside the car with all windows closed one could definitely hear this humming/grinding noise.

I then took a local mechanic friend of mine for confirmation and he mentioned that it was the rear wheels that were emitting the sound and also that this was a wheel bearing issue. He also mentioned that wheel bearing normally go out at around the 10 year mark for the acura tl's.

So after shopping around on the internet, I found two wheel hub assemblies (not just the bearings - since they will have to be pressed in into the hub if bought alone - which is probably more expensive) - from PRIME CHOICE PARTS - ottawa - for 54 $ CAD. However that price only provides a 1 yr warranty on the parts - but for addl 4 $CAD each they provide a limited lifetime warranty which I opted for.
(in comparison Moog wheel hub assembly for 2003 TL is 105 $ @20% discount without a 13% HST -@ partsource).

Today (after the humming noise was really unbearable and had perceptibly increased), I went to this mechanic's shop and got these wheel hub assemblies replaced in my acura. The labor estimate was 1.6 hrs for two rear wheels - and that cost 145 $CAD (incl. the 13 % HST)

Now the vehicle running very smooth. No humming noise or grinding noise whatsoever.
My tl is @ 300 K miles.