Horn only working some of the time

Old 05-05-2018, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn only working some of the time

I am having a problem with my horn. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. Needless to say, this is a problem when I’m driving on an interstate or anywhere for that matter. I brought it to the attention of my car servincing place while I was having my snows taken off. The tech tried the horn a couple of tikes and of course it worked. Has anybody me had a problem similar to this? (I’ve tried hitting the horn all over the pad when it doesn’t work. I’ve also found it can work and then not work shortly thereafter. Actually tried it before I left the service place and it didn’t work, but worked a short time later.)I have a 2012 TSX wagon with the technology package.

I called the Acura service center. They told me there has been problems with horns dying on this model, that I should bring it in for diagnosis ( $129) and then not sure what else would follow. Nearest dealer is 40 minutes away, so I’m hoping to avoid all that with your suggestions.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:41 PM
RTM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Could be a switch problem on the pad, or could be the cable that transmits down the steering column, or could be the relays that control the horn itself, or could be the ground. Intermittent makes it exciting, and sorta points to the one moveable thing, the cable going down the steering column. Try twisting the steering wheel a bit, and see if that stops the horn from working.

Next I would check the connection of the horn to the frame, especially if you live in a high rust environment.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
I had a similar problem way back when I had my beloved 87 Integra. I drive the TSX Wagon now, and what they both have in common are two horns: a low tone and a high tone. Acura service fixed it by replacing the low tone horn for about $160 parts and labor. This was back in 1999. And yes, this is a safety issue. I couldn't honk as a driver rounding a blind curve came into my lane. I moved onto the shoulder / curb as best I could and avoided an accident.