Help!!! Knocking noise coming from rear, 2013 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013 | 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

Help!!! Knocking noise coming from rear, 2013 TSX

I need help.

I've had my 2013 TSX for a month now and I noticed shortly after I got it, this weird knocking noise started coming from the rear on the driver side. I mainly hear it at low speeds, when I'm turning left, and/or when going up/down an incline. It's been to the dealership 3 times and they still haven't been able to fix it. They mentioned something about them adjusting the spot well, but that's about it. At this point, I'm pretty frustrated because they can't seem to fix it. So is there anyone out there that has experienced this same issue and can offer any help with getting this issue resolved?

Besides the knocking noise, the car drives great...the noise is just annoying!

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2013 | 10:13 AM
2nd Gear

I am in a similar predicament and would appreciate some input from anyone who has gone through the same ordeal.

I've been in and out of the dealership for almost two weeks for a noise coming from the rear. At first my SA told me I had hit something and that my rear wheels needed to be realigned and balanced. I was advised to drive the car for two weeks to allow the noise to diminish.

The noise persisted and I was once again back at the dealership, and this time I was contacted by the service manager and told that there was body damage and that I would need to take my car to a body shop. I then brought my car to an independent mechanic and he told me I had a loose rear end-link on the driver-side.

Again, I brought my car back to the dealership and this time one of their techs was able to duplicate the noise coming from the rear. They told me they submitted a "ticket" with engineers in Japan for assistance because the rear end-link looked fine and they didn't know what was causing the noise. After this visit they assured me my car was fixed and I should call back with any issues.

Needless to say, the noise is still there and my car is currently back at the dealership. Words can't express how frustrating this is with a car that's barely 6 months old.

Anyone else go through a similar exprience? Sorry for teh long reply and I hope I'm not thread jacking.
Old 06-13-2013 | 10:47 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by euvnairb
I am in a similar predicament and would appreciate some input from anyone who has gone through the same ordeal.

I've been in and out of the dealership for almost two weeks for a noise coming from the rear. At first my SA told me I had hit something and that my rear wheels needed to be realigned and balanced. I was advised to drive the car for two weeks to allow the noise to diminish.

The noise persisted and I was once again back at the dealership, and this time I was contacted by the service manager and told that there was body damage and that I would need to take my car to a body shop. I then brought my car to an independent mechanic and he told me I had a loose rear end-link on the driver-side.

Again, I brought my car back to the dealership and this time one of their techs was able to duplicate the noise coming from the rear. They told me they submitted a "ticket" with engineers in Japan for assistance because the rear end-link looked fine and they didn't know what was causing the noise. After this visit they assured me my car was fixed and I should call back with any issues.

Needless to say, the noise is still there and my car is currently back at the dealership. Words can't express how frustrating this is with a car that's barely 6 months old.

Anyone else go through a similar exprience? Sorry for teh long reply and I hope I'm not thread jacking.
So is there body damage? What did you hit?
Old 06-13-2013 | 10:54 AM

^i dont think there is body damage, the techs are idiots.
The following users liked this post:
welstd (08-28-2013)
Old 06-13-2013 | 07:48 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by euvnairb

The description of this noise could well be a loose end link, though you can't tell by looking at it or most likely even trying to move it. Just a little loose and it can generate a clunking type noise. I wouldn't fool around with the OE end links (which are the two connectors for the rear sway, one on each side to the unaware). They're crap, and though loosening on their own is rare (it seems), if one is loose, it can occasionally be noisy and also be pretty annoying. Buy a couple of Moog replacements (they're cheap, like around $20 a piece) and either replace them yourself, of have a mechanic do it. This would be good inexpensive place to start, plus you get better end links.
Old 06-19-2013 | 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ceb
So is there body damage? What did you hit?
There's no body damage. It was a simple/slow back-up into a parking curb and the techs made me second guess that that's what caused the issue. The problem is far deeper than me just tapping my rear wheels into a parking curb. My car is currently back at the dealership for the same problem.

Upon further research, I've found that this issue may not be as isolated as I thought. It seems to be an on-going problem and some people have reported that their subframe bolts are coming loose (or something of the nature) and it's causing a metal on metal clunking noise.

At this point, I've given up hope that Acura will find a solution to the noise. it's definitely not something I'm willing to live with and I will try to escalate this at both the dealership and Acura customer relations.
Old 06-20-2013 | 01:24 PM
Racer

I hear this same noise in the 2013 TSX loaner I've had for 5 days now. I have no idea what it could be, but my 2009 definitely does not have this issue.
Old 07-01-2013 | 04:38 PM
8th Gear

Any updates to the issue? I have the pop or clanking sounds coming in and out of a speed bump. The fronts are getting a fix since there was a TSB out, but they are not fixing the rears. And my noise issue was more announced in the rears... go figure.
Old 08-14-2013 | 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

I'm not sure if this is the same noise you guys are hearing but I have experienced, and have read in other threads, a knocking type of noise when the gas tank is full and the gas is moving around creating noise. I have a 2012 base TSX
Old 08-16-2013 | 10:24 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by edwinwng
I'm not sure if this is the same noise you guys are hearing but I have experienced, and have read in other threads, a knocking type of noise when the gas tank is full and the gas is moving around creating noise. I have a 2012 base TSX
I was thinking the same thing.

Some people complained about a "swooshing" noise coming from the rear. The fix was pretty simple - they took out a panel on the back seat and stuffed a shirt in it.

Not sure if it is the same issue but the thread is here.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/2nd-ge...ing-noise.html
Old 08-18-2013 | 11:13 PM
Cruisin'

I have the same noise. I tried stuffing the rear panel with a shirt and the noise is still there. The dealership wouldn't touch my car because they said the car is dropped. Their techs were able to replicate the noise. I have 2010 base model. I think this is a very common problem on the 2nd gens.
Old 08-18-2013 | 11:49 PM
Drifting

I would carefully check the rear sway bar, endlinks, and bushings. A metalic 'clank' noise could be a broken endlink- particularly if this happens when hitting bumps or taking corners. A squeaking noise could be the rubber bushings squeaking against the metallic bar.
Old 08-20-2013 | 08:36 PM
8th Gear

I have a fairly new '13 TSX wTech and I think I may also have the same issue. When I drive around n'hoods at slower speeds I can hear a slight knock in the rear right passenger side. It is very intermittent and not loud, but it is there. I took it to the dealer and was able to reproduce the knock with a tech guy in the back to make sure of it. He definitely heard and now my car is at the dealer for diagnosis/fix. Will post up diagnosis when I get it back soon.

The weird thing is I got a '13 TSX SE loaner and it had a more noticeable loud knock in the rear. Maybe this is a bigger issue than we all thought. I just hope there is a fix/TSB soon.
Old 08-21-2013 | 10:00 PM
8th Gear

Went to the dealer to pick up and left with the loaner once again. They said they replaced the ABS system, but that didn't fixed the issue (which I kind of knew wasn't the issue, but I'm not an auto mechanic). I took it for a test drive and turned around to the dealership. One of their techs hopped in and also heard the noise. I pretty much said I'm not taking it back until it's fixed. A few hours later I receive a call from service and they said they will apply the front suspension TSB that was out for the last few model years. I'm not sure what is going to happen. The knocking is definitely coming from the rear passenger, but who knows. I'll let you guys know what happens next. So far, they've been pretty helpful and not hesitant to try and troubleshoot the issue.
Old 08-22-2013 | 05:58 PM
Instructor

Is it possible the plate welds in the rear panel(s) is still a problem? My 2010 had the TSB for this done which stopped the knocking on the rear right but it can be on either side or both. It requires a tool and a wedge. It too happened around corners and over bumps. Check out the 2010 TSX Noises thread for the TSB. Hope you get it figured out. The knocking about drove me crazy until solved.
Old 08-22-2013 | 06:17 PM
Instructor

The link for the tsb isn't working. This is what I had originally typed from the tsb:

ACURA Service Bulletin 09-019
May 18, 2009
Appies to 2009 TSX - ALL

Popping or Clicking from the Left or Right Rear Jack Point

SYMPTOM
There is a popping or clicking from the left or right rear of the vehicle when driving over bumps or through dips.

PROBABLE CAUSE
As the body flexes, burrs from spot welds in the rear jacking points contact other sheetmetal, causing a popping or clicking noise.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Install a wedge between the sheetmetal panels (in the inner side sill) that make up the jack point.

REQUIRED MATERIALS
3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive
P/N 3M-08008
(one tube repairs about 20 vehicles)

TOOL INFORMATION
Body Wedge Installation Kit: T/N 07AAD-TL2A140
(includes wedge, installation tool, and acid brush)
NOTE: This tool is available through the special tool loan program.
(Refer to Service Bulletin 98-015, Special Tool Loan Program.)

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.

OP# Description FRT
8230B3 Rear side will panel (one side). 0.4
A Repair additional side sill panel. 0.4

Failed Part: P/N 65140-TL2-A00ZZ
Defect Code: 02401
Symptom Code: 04201
Skill Level: Repair Technician

Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

DIAGNOSIS
Connect a ChassisEAR, then test-drive the vehicle to confirm that the noise is comming from the left or right rear jacking point. If needed, refer to Service Bulleting 00-024. Steelman ChassisEAR Diagnostic Tool.
__________________________________________________ _________
Then it goes into the repair procedure for the tech.
agentt4 (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013 | 02:01 AM
8th Gear

Adjusting the spot welds!...That was the same thing I was thinking, but I didn't think there was a TSB out for something like that.
Old 08-23-2013 | 02:17 AM
8th Gear

My issue was resolved...

First they replaced the front ball joints. Didnt fix anything. Instead they messed up the alignment, but thats a topic for another day.

So they did the wedge TSB posted above and sound is now gone.

It used to make more of a "pop pop" sound and not a "click click" Me and my buddy bought a TSX the same month and his has the same issue. So it seems like a fairly common problem.
agentt4 (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013 | 02:53 AM
8th Gear

ABS system changed...didn't resolve the knocking noise. Not sure why the tech went with that route. Next, they used the front suspension TSB and replaced the ball joints...noise was still there in the rear after replacement! Did I not say that the noise was coming from the rear?! I mentioned the TSB above about wedging the rear area...they said they have to notify "ACURA" and get advise before anymore money can be spent for repairs fearing that they may be running in circles replacing everything to solve this knock noise issue. This is understandable and frustrating that they wouldn't take my suggestion about the sheet metal wedge TSB.

I feel like the front suspension TSB and wedging the rear sheet metal TSB will solve all the knocking noise issues. Will update again what happens next. I guess I'll be riding in the loaner for a few more days.
Old 08-24-2013 | 03:31 AM
8th Gear

Wedge TSB... http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...ng-jack-points
Old 08-24-2013 | 08:46 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Is the popping more like a creaking sound? Sometimes I hear a faint noise coming from the rear of the car that usually happens when I first drive the car and back it out of a driveway. The car leaning and twisting around the sloped turn makes a creaking noise. Not sure if it is the same thing or not since I don't really notice it most of the time.
Old 08-24-2013 | 09:06 AM
8th Gear

It sounds like the same problem. I hear a faint knock in my car. It happens when I back out of the driveway, go up the driveway/bumps, and when I just drive generally at slower speeds. It doesn't happen all the time, but I was able to reproduce the noise with a tech guy sitting in my car. I just drove slowly and made a few turns going through speed bumps and driveways. The loaner TSX they gave me makes the same noise and also has the ball joint noise as well.

It wasn't noticeable in my car, but I have sensitive ears when it comes to noises in cars. Any rattles, creaking, and knocks will bother me...especially when the car is fairly new.
Old 08-24-2013 | 11:34 AM
Advanced

I'm at the dealer right now for a maintenance and some issues. a clicking noise in the back between B & C pillar but can't recreate it with the tech. we drove around for 15mins around the block and freeway. frustrating.
Old 08-30-2013 | 08:34 PM
8th Gear

Since the service guys didn't want to take on the TSB 09-019 where a wedge is installed to the rear body seam, I had to talk to the service dept. manager and he said he would have the car serviced per the TSB after confirming with chassis ears if the popping/knocking noise is coming from the rear area as specified on the TSB. He also said that he test drove the car and had two others after the car was done. Good news is the noise is GONE, but the whole experience has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm really looking to hear any other noises.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I'm hearing other noises, knocks and dings hear and there. They aren't noticeable to anyone...It's just me. I just wish that I didn't have the original issue happen to me. My mental state has been compromised. Noises are a pain in my book and a real B to look for and fix. I just hope it's the only issue I have to deal with.

Anyhow, good luck to the rest of you out there!
Old 08-31-2013 | 10:52 PM
Instructor

Agentt4, glad you were able to get the knocking issue resolved! I was raised to listen for unusual noises in an auto so when they happen it drives me crazy. Your mental state being compromised is completely understandable. Had your service dept. been on the ball and remedied the problem with the TSB in the first place you'd probably be fine. It appears Acura, knowing the TSX was being phased out, just didn't bother to fix this known issue during the build process.
Old 09-05-2013 | 07:22 PM
8th Gear

1bythesea, guess what...I'm starting to hear an even more faint knocking from the left side now. I think its the same issue. I'm bringing it in on Monday to have the tech take a look. This one is definitely a little bit harder to reproduce if I'm asked to. I'll have to spend some time trying to find that sweet spot where the knock kicks in. I think another wedge will take care of the noise, but they are still giving me a hard time...I mean I'll even pay for it!

This is just sad that I'm looking for noise. Like I said, my mindset will never be the same driving this car. I love this car, but damn...
Old 09-08-2013 | 12:52 AM
Instructor

Agentt4, that's a shame. Even more shameful Acura didn't bother to solve this known issue.