driver door courtesy light dim when open bright when closed. wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013 | 03:28 PM
Advanced

driver door courtesy light dim when open bright when closed. wtf?!

all,
have an issue with driver door courtesy light. first, the light went dead due to poor quality of the LED i bought, constant opening and closing the door somehow dislodged the bulb from it's base. so i just went on to replace it.
But the new LED did not work, i changed the position because i might have put it in the wrong way (polarity) but still no light. i used the OEM bulb then it lit very dim.. and when i closed the door it lit up brighter (normal). I looked at the new LED bulbs that i bought (different from the ones i originally replaced the OEM bulbs with) and the lead wires for negative and positive are both extended to the other side, if that makes sense. but in short, the wires were made to short a circuit which is stupid.
so now if i shorted the circuit for the courtesy light, i should have busted my fuse... but i checked and it's intact. that is if i checked the correct fuse. (marked 3-7 on the engine bay fuse box) also, the oem bulb lights up but faint glow then when i close the door it glows bright. suggesting that the circuit is intact, but not working properly. I would bring it to the dealer eventually, if i can't find a solution. but i wanted to check up on here to see if anybody had this same issue and was able to fix it. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2013 | 05:20 PM
Advanced

I am in a similar situation. My back passenger courtesy light. See my thread here

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/replacing-wire-harness-rear-door-900762/

There are a couple other threads about similar things happening when people switched out LEDs. Unfortunately it seemed to be more than a fuse in some cases. Might have fried driver side Multiplex Controller. Basically fuse box from what I can tell located on driver side near hood release. There is also a fuse for door lights there too so might be worth checking. Also might want to check to see if the switch for your driver door works. Open the door and press the black rubber button. If the MID shows your door is still open might be a bad switch. I'll let you know what I find out got an appointment with the dealer this Wed. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
cris_crozz (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013 | 05:36 PM
Advanced

thanks man, will check on your update. I've tested the door switch and they're working... oddly enough when i press the button the light glows brighter and when i let it go the light goes back to faint glow. i'm gonna try to remove the negative connection from the battery and do a reset if that changes anything
Old 12-11-2013 | 12:08 PM
Advanced

So it looks like the Multiplex controller or something on the passenger fuse box. They said it was something to do with fuse panel and they needed to order the part. My guess is there was a short that fired the MPC. Luckily it is covered under warranty. Probably not what you wanted to hear but at least you have an idea what might be the problem.

I think the part is a few hundred dollars if you order it online. Which isn't bad but to have the dealer install it is when it starts to hurt. Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
cris_crozz (12-11-2013)