To Blend Or Not To Blend...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To Blend Or Not To Blend...

Hello All,

I'm not a new member, but haven't been on here in forever.

So I have a 2010 Acura TSX MBP and was rear ended last weekend. After doing some research I settled on a dealer affiliated body shop to get fixed. I plan on asking the guy if they plan blending the paint, and if so I may request them not to blend the paint.

I've done some searching around the internet to see what other people's experiences were. Alot of people say that blending paint is a cop out and that a skilled painter with quality paint and equipment will color match the bumper by painting just that piece.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'm leaning more towards no...don't blend the paint, but I want to know what others have experienced.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
It depends on several factors. What color car and what needs to be painted. Plastic bits need to have flexing agents added to the paint and because of that, and the different surface, bumpers will always be a slightly different shade, so blending may be a good thing.

Where are you going? I don't know of any good body shops in Woodbridge. There are a few good ones in Manassas and a great one in Gaithersburg.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the response.

I'm guessing its Midnight Black Pearl or it could be Crystal Black Pearl. They are putting a new OEM bumper cover on. He hasn't mentioned they will blend the paint, but I am not so sure I want it blended. I have come across posts where people say bumper or plastic parts will be alittle of, and they always do seem alittle off, even when they've never been repainted.

I'm taking my car to Criswell Collision Center in Annapolis, MD.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

My bad ya'll its Crystal Black Pearl.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Uh, oh. You might want to check your local forum for reviews of Criswell. My wife had Criswell in Gaithersburg do a repair on Honda and it was awful. Overspray everywhere and the orangepeel didn't come close to matching. We ultimately had another shop fix it.