Auto Headlights not turning on when unlocking car at night

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Auto Headlights not turning on when unlocking car at night

I recently noticed that my 12' TSX is no longer turning on the headlights in low-light when I unlock the car in the morning and evenings.

This coincidentially happened after I did the led interior light swap (wardenjp - LED's) but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and found a fix.

- I have tried different remotes (no change)
- I have set the sensitivity from min to max (no change)

NOTE: the lights turn on once I start the car with the switch in Auto, this issue only occurs for unlocking the car.

Is it possible that the lower power of the LED's is causing a conflict with the auto-headlights turning on when I unlock the vehicle.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinny_P
I recently noticed that my 12' TSX is no longer turning on the headlights in low-light when I unlock the car in the morning and evenings.

This coincidentially happened after I did the led interior light swap (wardenjp - LED's) but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and found a fix.

- I have tried different remotes (no change)
- I have set the sensitivity from min to max (no change)

NOTE: the lights turn on once I start the car with the switch in Auto, this issue only occurs for unlocking the car.

Is it possible that the lower power of the LED's is causing a conflict with the auto-headlights turning on when I unlock the vehicle.
i keep my headlights set to "on" so they always turn on. the only time i have found that they fail to do so and just the sides flash is when i forget to lock the car
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Instructor

I was hoping to only have the lights come on when its dark out. But I am trying to find a link between my changing of the interior lights to led's, but I honestly have no clue.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
all my interiors are LED, HID fogs. no impact
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Sorry to high jack this thread but I'm curious here. In the TSX, isn't there a setting to determine on how much darkness it requires to activate the lights on auto? I ask this because my RDX turned them on when it got darker outside but my TSX seems to turn them on in lighter environments and even turns them off half way through. Kind of annoying.

Also wish there was a way to make it so even on auto, the lights don't turn on when car is unlocked or door open. My RDX never did this and I hate drawing attention to myself.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Also wish there was a way to make it so even on auto, the lights don't turn on when car is unlocked or door open. My RDX never did this and I hate drawing attention to myself.
I'm with you. If I could get them to NOT come on when I unlock the car, that would be great. I use AUTO. But I feel like the neighbors on both sides of me know my schedule because my car lights up the night when I leave.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PyroDave
all my interiors are LED, HID fogs. no impact
Must be a glitch of some sort I am experiencing.

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Sorry to high jack this thread but I'm curious here. In the TSX, isn't there a setting to determine on how much darkness it requires to activate the lights on auto? I ask this because my RDX turned them on when it got darker outside but my TSX seems to turn them on in lighter environments and even turns them off half way through. Kind of annoying.

You can set the auto light sensitivity using the MID on the Instrument Cluster (Page 80-82 in Manual)

AUTO LIGHT SENSITIVITY Changes the timing for the headlights to come on. MAX/HIGH/MID/LOW/MIN

MAX - Turn on when Bright
MIN - Turn on when Dark

Default setting is Mid so that is why your lights turn on in daylight.

I have mine set to MIN, but light I mentioned get the intermittent issue of them not turning on at night.

Not sure you can have the lights not turn on when you unlock the car, unless you turn the lights off when you exit your car.
The following users liked this post:
KrylonBlue (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 07:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Vinny_P
Must be a glitch of some sort I am experiencing.

You can set the auto light sensitivity using the MID on the Instrument Cluster (Page 80-82 in Manual)

AUTO LIGHT SENSITIVITY Changes the timing for the headlights to come on. MAX/HIGH/MID/LOW/MIN

MAX - Turn on when Bright
MIN - Turn on when Dark

Default setting is Mid so that is why your lights turn on in daylight.

I have mine set to MIN, but light I mentioned get the intermittent issue of them not turning on at night.

Not sure you can have the lights not turn on when you unlock the car, unless you turn the lights off when you exit your car.
Thank you! I checked my MID prior to reading this thread and I noticed it was set to MAX. I set it to the default setting and I'll see how that goes in relation to my RDX. Maybe a notch lower if needed but I wasn't sure which setting was for lower light.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 AM
AZ Community Team

I will be trying the minimal setting because I feel like my headlights still turn on far to early. I still need sun glasses because the sun is right in my eyes! Other wise, I'm off to the old school method of on and off when I choose. My RDX was so much less light sensitive.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
You have to change the settings on your car through the little screen on the dashboard. There's a setting somewhere that tells you how long you want your lights to stay on after you close the door/turn off the car. If it is set to immediately or no delay, then the lights won't turn on when you unlock your doors at night. If you set it to 15 secs, the lights will stay on for 15 seconds after you unlock the doors, after you turn off your engine and/or after you close the driver's door. Therefore, if your lights turn off after you close the driver's door, it means that the setting is currently set to turn off the lights immediately without any delay.

I've also changed all my lights to LEDs and the lights still turn on after I unlock the doors.

Hope this helps.
Owner of a canadian 2012 TSX
Old 08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I consider it a good thing. I consider DRLs and auto headlights are a waste of tech.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to make sure you guys are aware that if your wipers are left on when you turn your car off, the lights wont automatically turn on when you unlock your car.
The following users liked this post:
ssjoeboe9 (09-17-2012)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue

Headlight's not coming on, as well as dome, map, courtesy, and even left fog light. And I also recently installed some interior leds. Did you get your issue resolved just by adjusting the sensitivity, or was there another issue in conjunction? My issue started very shortly after the installation of the leds. I just noticed the headlight issue and figured that they have to correlate. Thanks in advance.