8000 mile thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8000 mile thoughts

I have reached 8000 miles, and have two issues I can't seem to get resolved. I brought in my TSX for service for the brakes and for what seems to be a shimmy. When accelerating normal, between 2nd and 3rd, I feel a front end shimmy. I don't know if its the tires, or what, but I did have the tires rotated and feel it now.

While driving 40+ mph and slightly apply the brakes, I feel the brake pedal pulsate. When applied hard, I don't feel it. The service guy told me they didn't feel either one. But as we all know, we are in the car and know just exactly how to feel it.

Am I the only one that has felt the two issues?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:41 AM
Racer

Sounds like its a brake issue...either warped rotors or out of balance tires. I've had problems with vibration with various cars in the past, and its either the tire or brake rotor. Many times it happens right after a rotation. It'll be perfectly smooth before the rotation, then afterwards the steering wheel vibrates and the brake pedal pulses. If its not corrected then it eventually warps the rotor and the vibration becomes intolerable. I've had one instance where I just ignored it and the steering ball link became sloppy and worn out from the excessive vibration, but that was an extreme case.

You said it was after a tire rotation. Go get the tires road forced and see what they come up with. If required, have them road force it several times. I had a dealer on a previous car do it once, vibration changed but was still there. They did it again and found the wheel was measuring different from the day before. I ended up going back and forth about 5 times total. They even sent it to a tire place because they couldn't understand why their machine kept showing something different each time. Whatever you do, do it sooner rather than later because it could cause your rotors to become warped if put off too long.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 33k on my tsx and I've put 10k on a second car all in under 8 months lol go 50k + miles a year. .. right so at 1k miles my brakes were squealing.. at 3k miles I had them resurfaced cause they warped.. at 10k miles they warped again.. at 18k miles they warped again.. this time they said they resurfaced them but when I brake and lightly apply the brakes you can feel the car jerk as the contact is good and lightens with the rotation of the rotor.

I also have a 6 speed and when I accelerate after this " PIng fix" in first second and half way of third, the car is kind of jerky and the engine is almost stuttering as I accelerate with out changing the force on the gas pedal, it's not noticeable when I floor it but when Moderately accelerating and shifting at 3500 rpms its very noticeable.

I must say this car has had more issues in the last 33k miles then My corolla did in 80k miles lol. I've barely had this car for 9 months and I pretty much live at the acura service center.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tishkevich
I have 33k on my tsx and I've put 10k on a second car all in under 8 months lol go 50k + miles a year. .. right so at 1k miles my brakes were squealing.. at 3k miles I had them resurfaced cause they warped.. at 10k miles they warped again.. at 18k miles they warped again.. this time they said they resurfaced them but when I brake and lightly apply the brakes you can feel the car jerk as the contact is good and lightens with the rotation of the rotor.

I also have a 6 speed and when I accelerate after this " PIng fix" in first second and half way of third, the car is kind of jerky and the engine is almost stuttering as I accelerate with out changing the force on the gas pedal, it's not noticeable when I floor it but when Moderately accelerating and shifting at 3500 rpms its very noticeable.

I must say this car has had more issues in the last 33k miles then My corolla did in 80k miles lol. I've barely had this car for 9 months and I pretty much live at the acura service center.
What did we get ourselves into lol. I took mine in today about the shimmy and the brake pedal pulsate. Of course the guy said he couldn't feel it. Since this is the second time of bringing it in. I decided to go ahead and call the 800# Acura. I don't have time to go back and forth 15 times. I know having them resurfaced makes them even thiner. I suggested they help me buy new ones, half off or something. This is crazy, I have no idea what the shimmy is, they were balanced right, they did that twice. I still think its the tires, who knows.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be the tires if you bought this car late off the lot, it might have been sitting in the same spot for quite some time and you got a flat side to your tires never know. but if you feel this shimmy while you're accelerating as well, I think its the ping fix that causes the cars to jerk a bit during acceleration and maybe in automatics deceleration.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:09 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tishkevich
in first second and half way of third, the car is kind of jerky and the engine is almost stuttering as I accelerate with out changing the force on the gas pedal, it's not noticeable when I floor it but when Moderately accelerating and shifting at 3500 rpms its very noticeable.
On really light throttle application, I get this too, Tish. Slightly more loud pedal and it goes away, I haven't had a need for the ping fix, it's just the way it came.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

I am taking my car in next week for the problem. The advisor called me and said Acura had issued a TSB for brake pedal pulsation. I posted a new thread to see if anyone on here has access to the latest TSB's I can read. I don't and can't seem to get that info. I want to see the details of this and the fix.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Acura has issued a bulletin for this. Thanks to the dealer and Acura, so far the problem is fixed. New rotors and pads in front, back had to be turned and new pads in rear. Oddly, they tested the car before the fix and slightly felt the shimmy I told them about. Said they would replace all the brake parts, then see if that helps. Once they did this, the shimmy seems to be gone.

Last edited by 09TSXCC; 10-25-2009 at 07:54 PM.