A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:04 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm just a post whore today...

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I wonder if Temple of Vtec encountered this on the dyno.... That would rule out the hood.
Yup, they'd be able to interpret what's going on via the o2 sensor/UEGO and jagged areas on the dyno sheet can also be indicative.

Oh, and I don't know what you mean about the hood relative to pinging.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
... Oh, and I don't know what you mean about the hood relative to pinging.
Someone mentioned that a corner of the hood was jostling when this happened, and I presumed (with significant naivete) that running a car up to that RPM on a dyno might not make the hood jostle, thereby eliminating the issue.

Someone else mentioned that this is a transmission problem, not an engine problem ... was that definitely ruled out?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GSRTSX
I've had my 2009 TSX since late May and I noticed the knocking and pinging about a month later. I may have noticed it sooner but I was too busy enjoying the ELS Sound System. It occurs every time when I'm accelerating between 2000-2500 rpm. I initially took it back to the dealership I acquired the vehicle from and they told me to continue and use premium fuel only, regardless of the brand. I told them that under the advice of the Acura Sales Manager, I alternated between 93 and 89 octane fuel but I have since only used 93 for my last two fill ups since I noticed the knocking and pinging. They said that if I continue to fill up with 93, it should go away. Three weeks later, I took it back to my original Acura Dealership since the issue continued even after 3 more fill ups with premium only. I filled up with Premium Texaco, Chevron, and Hess with no luck. At first they said that everything checked out okay and that there was no issue. After a test drive with the Service Manager, he agreed with me and said he would have to check with the Acura Representative. After a few days, he called me back to tell me that the Acura Representative was experiencing the same issue with his 2009 TSX and that there is no fix. They think it maybe the ethanol in our fuel in Florida. I called Acura Client Services and they wanted to schedule a test drive with the Acura District Manager but he was on vacation. After over a week of waiting, Acura Client Service called me to let me know that the District Manager got promoted and that I would have to wait for the incoming District Manager. In addition, the original Service Manager told Acura Client Service that if my A/C hit “level2”, the knocking and pinging could hardly be hard. Geez, why don’t I just turn up my radio and that should solve the problem. Anyways, she recommended I get a second opinion. I took my TSX to another Acura Dealership and after over a week with a loaner, they told me that they could not replicate the knocking and pinging. So I test drove my car with the Service Representative and he finally heard it. He agreed that there was an issue but he said there is no fix at this point in time. He said that the Acura Engineers are aware of this issue and are "working on it". I called Acura Client Services again and she said that I will have to wait for a fix as there is none right now. I am under the impression that knocking and pinging will do harm to the engine in the long run. Do I wait for Acura to fix this or can I take a different direction in getting out of my lease? I wanted to purchase this vehicle after my lease but now I’m worried it will have more wear than necessary due to this issue. I’d love to hear some feedback or advice.
It is your auto gear box and NOT pinging.

A few guys here in Australia have that problem, and they have traced it to the torque converter.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Instructor

You can expect these problems in the 1st year model... IMO it's best to buy a car in it's 3rd year of production (within a generation).. i.e. you should wait for two spin-outs of the new design before buying, if you want to be safe.. It's preferred to lease in the 1st year.. so if there are any serious issues in the 1st year model, you can just throw the keys at the dealer once the lease is over, otherwise just buy it off at the end of the lease. I'm sure Acura will fix all the issues you guys are having.

I see so many people driving new TL '08s right now.. I know a dealer selling the TL '08 for 34K OTD w/ Navi and $35.5K OTD for Type S... !!!! New TL '09 is a boat..LOL

Last edited by deznium; 09-25-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 AM

yeah, yeah, yeah...

Originally Posted by deznium
You can expect these problems in the 1st year model... IMO it's best to buy a car in it's 3rd year of production (within a generation).. i.e. you should wait for two spin-outs of the new design before buying, if you want to be safe.. It's preferred to lease in the 1st year.. so if there are any serious issues in the 1st year model, you can just throw the keys at the dealer once the lease is over, otherwise just buy it off at the end of the lease. I'm sure Acura will fix all the issues you guys are having.

I see so many people driving new TL '08s right now.. I know a dealer selling the TL '08 for 34K OTD w/ Navi and $35.5K OTD for Type S... !!!! New TL '09 is a boat..LOL
Good advice, but useless to the people who are experiencing this problem. Next post, please....
Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Good advice, but useless to the people who are experiencing this problem. Next post, please....
I agree-too late-they already have the car.
I also see alot of tl's-so what? we tried to find a 08- tl-type s with MT-no luck (only ones with automatic)
Old 09-27-2008, 05:29 AM
Instructor

I am so glad I got the '08 TSX..... so now Acura is gonna piss of so many 2G owners as well and people are gonna be reluctant to buy TL '09...
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Someone mentioned that a corner of the hood was jostling when this happened, and I presumed (with significant naivete) that running a car up to that RPM on a dyno might not make the hood jostle, thereby eliminating the issue.
Oh, ok gotcha, not naive at all, but usually on the dyno the hood is up and there would be a good bit of vibration with any car. I noticed a good bit of cowl shake on my test drive and that was with a 5AT car yet my 6MT does it as well on road bumps or railroad tracks. It looks like we'll benefit from a CT Engineering (the old Comptech crew, AHEM, Nate...are you listening my friend?) 4 point brace to help eliminate that. Our brace is just a two point tying the strut towers together.

Someone else mentioned that this is a transmission problem, not an engine problem ... was that definitely ruled out?
Sounds like our mates from OZ have a head start on this with a converter issue. I really would like to spend some time in a 5AT car to try to hear this. The demo car didn't do it, but I wasn't listening for it either.

Oh, and Deznium, I also fail to understand why you continue to post on a 2g forum espousing the benefits of your 1g car. You see a bazillion 08 TSX's and TL's because once the 2g arrived, very few non-enthusiast buyers wouldn't give the 1st gen's a second look. That's why they're blowing them out. My Acura dealer had 67 lefotver Tl's a couple of days ago.

I'm willing to bet an online community represents about 10% of the owners as a whole.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Oh, ok gotcha, not naive at all, but usually on the dyno the hood is up and there would be a good bit of vibration with any car. ....
Haha, clearly I wasn't picturing a dyno run in my mind's eye...
Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 PM
4th Gear

Australia Calling

In Australia your model is released as the Euro . In my case similar to yours, I have a new 2009 luxury Euro ( your TSX) and guess what ...SAME PROBLEM. Only had it 3 weeks, now has 1000 kms on it pinging like mad. Pings at 60KPH pings at 100KPH on the flat. Seems to ping less going up an incline under load. Currently running on Premium (95 octane) going to change to (98 octane on next tank) Dealers here dont have an answer. Taken it in twice. Doest seem to be fuel related. Manual clearly states pinging can damage the engine if left unchecked so would appreciate if you do find a solution to pass it on to your honda drivers down under
Old 09-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is pinging as well. It seems to be the worst as I am approaching 4,000 rpm. I have an appointment with the dealer (90 miles away) and am wondering if I should cancel the appointment since Acura does not know of a fix. Any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Both cars are making the same noise.

My wife has an 09 tsx and so do I. Both have the 6 MT and both cars make the same noise. I have no idea what it is and I only use Chevron 91 octane. The service manager at Acura said there was no indication that anything was wrong when they looked at it. They heard the noise, but when they ran diagnostics everything was well within factory specs. He also said that he had an MDX in with the same problem. Changed just about everything on it and it still made the smae noise.

Who knows. Maybe it's Honda's turn to ride on their name and produce crap.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mcabutti
Mine is pinging as well. It seems to be the worst as I am approaching 4,000 rpm. I have an appointment with the dealer (90 miles away) and am wondering if I should cancel the appointment since Acura does not know of a fix. Any thoughts?
I think that if more owners brought up this issue with Acura, the more likely they willl do something about it sooner then later... I've called Acura Client Services so they are aware of my dissatisfaction.

But your dealer is far so I don't think it's worth drive out there only to be told what we've all been told. A "Normal Characteristic" of the car.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 10-01-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Figured I'd post up b/c I'm pinging over here too.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 PM
7th Gear

Took the car to the dealer yesterday but strangely enough, no knocking when I took the tech for a ride around. Sure made me look like the hypochondriac of cars. The tech told me that if there was a problem with the engine the check light would go on. So therefore, if no check light, probably I have no problem (even if I hear knocking).
Sounds like b/s, but the car was quiet so I could not press the issue.

It was at 7:30 in the morning so I was wondering if there is a temperature component to this problem. Anyone notice if they get more pinging in the afternoon, on hotter days, or after lots of stop and go traffic? My gut feeling is that I get more pinging in the afternoon after a lot of driving.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I never hear the noise until the drivetrain has reached normal operating temps. I always here it though once it's warmed up. Outside air temp doesn't seem to change anything, I bought my car back in the beginning of June and now it's October. The temp is in the 40s in the mornings now and it doesn't sound any different from when it was 90 degrees out.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
6th Gear

Still Knocking & Pinging

In response to (R)isque's post about the Australian cars having that same issue and it being traced back to the torque converter, I was advised by my Acura Dealer that the TSX overseas is somewhat different and that would not be the case for me. I am not an expert so I have no idea who is right. I do know that my car continues to knock and ping. I went back to the dealer I acquired the car from last Saturday and spoke to a new Sales Manager (his official title now is “New Car Director”). I told him that Acura Client Services advised me that if I wanted the car exchanged, I would have to speak to my dealer. He said that he is new with the dealership and that he would have to get back to me after some research. My original Salesperson AND Sales manager are no longer with the company (that was about 4 months ago...talk about turnover). Well Wednesday came and I had not heard back from him so I called later that day and left a message for him. Another Sales Manager called me today and tried to help. He said that they think it maybe a fuel quality issue and that they have no fix for it right now. I told him I knew that as that is what everybody is telling me. I told him that what I want is a replacement 2010 TSX at no extra cost if they don’t have a fix for my car by the time the new ones come out. He said he is trying to help but he can’t make that decision. So I asked him to please direct me to the person who can help me. He said that only Acura can make that call. I told him that I felt like I was just being ping ponged back and forth and nobody wants to step up and actually help me. He said he would call me back so he could conference call the Service Manager in. When they called back, the Service manager said that he spoke to the other dealership I took it to for a second opinion and Acura Tech Support. He was advised that they know of the issue and are working on it; however there is no timeframe on a resolution. I asked again to be directed to the person who can actually make a decision. He said that would be the Acura District Manager, but since the original one got promoted over a month ago, they are still waiting for the new one to come in and meet with them. He told me that the incoming District Manager will “meet and greet” with the dealerships in a couple of weeks and that he would bring up my issue. I asked when I could expect a call back. He said at the end of October. This is ridiculous in my opinion. This incoming District Manager for Acura was supposed to be in place at the end of August according to Acura Client Services. Now I am being told that he hasn’t even met with the dealerships over a month later? What a damn joke! I will be calling the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to see if I qualify for the Florida Lemon Law. I doubt it but I guess it’s worth a shot. Do you think it’s worth the trouble or should I just wait for a fix? The Acura manual states that knocking in the engine will decrease performance but there was no mention of engine damage. It only talks about engine damage if the octane is lower than 87. Any professional opinion on whether or not knocking will do harm to the engine in the long run? Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Cruisin'

I called Acura client services yesterday. Basically to just put in a complaint so it's on record. The rep told me the more calls they get on a certain issue get filtered. So if they see a lot of calls coming in b/c the problem is engine noise, then the engineers will look for a fix. So I guess I'm hoping everyone has called or will call Acura client services. I don't know the number outside the US, but for us here in the States, it's 1-800-382-2238 option #5.

I think if I still hear the sound by the end of October I am going back to the dealer.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't about you guys but this pinging problem that everyone seem to report does not seem apparent when in manual mode (sport shift) which is what I always use when I want to do rapid acceleration so wouldn't this reduce your concern of doing some damage until the fix takes place? I find that the auto TSX is not very peppy in full automatic mode which is why I NEVER use this mode when I want to push this car. Full auto mode is when I am relaxed and just wanna cruise under no rapid acceleration.

GSRTSX...although I can appreciate your concern and frustration, I am not sure that asking to drive a car until the 2010 comes in and then trade it in with no cost is realistic. I did notice the pinging ONCE and the only reason I heard it was because soomeone wanted to try my car and rather than using the paddle for rapid acceleration, he just accelerated by flooring it in the full auto mode....other than that, I have never heard any pinging whatsoever...
Old 10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

Still making the sound!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSX
I don't about you guys but this pinging problem that everyone seem to report does not seem apparent when in manual mode (sport shift) which is what I always use when I want to do rapid acceleration so wouldn't this reduce your concern of doing some damage until the fix takes place? I find that the auto TSX is not very peppy in full automatic mode which is why I NEVER use this mode when I want to push this car. Full auto mode is when I am relaxed and just wanna cruise under no rapid acceleration.

GSRTSX...although I can appreciate your concern and frustration, I am not sure that asking to drive a car until the 2010 comes in and then trade it in with no cost is realistic. I did notice the pinging ONCE and the only reason I heard it was because soomeone wanted to try my car and rather than using the paddle for rapid acceleration, he just accelerated by flooring it in the full auto mode....other than that, I have never heard any pinging whatsoever...
I get the noise in sport shift or regular mode, full throttle, half throttle, whatever throttle... it doesn't matter it comes and it goes no matter what I do. I have 4500 miles now and it sounds awful.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
26Shaun....Oh! I am sorry to hear that, like I said, I never hear mine except for that one time where heavier acceleration was done in the auto mode (not manual)....
Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by 26Shaun
I get the noise in sport shift or regular mode, full throttle, half throttle, whatever throttle... it doesn't matter it comes and it goes no matter what I do. I have 4500 miles now and it sounds awful.
Yep I definitely can relate...

I'm just trying really really hard not to let it get to me.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 PM
4th Gear

I have a 6MT and I have not heard any pinging yet...
Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Going to the dealer on Monday to check out pinging

I have an appointment on Monday to get the pinging/knocking noise checked out. My car is now pinging/knocking on light acceleration when the automatic shifts between second and third gears. I am using 93 octane fuel. This is quite depressing. . .
Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Just got back from the dealer regarding engine knock

Just got back from the dealer and the service manager shared with me that he had done some research regarding the engine pinging and knocking issue. He stated that the car appears to be operating normally and that Acura has no "fix" for the issue at this time.

On the electric steering noise. . . I was reassured that another car I took for a test drive made the exact same noise when turning the wheel in a close space. Must truly be a characteristic of the car.

Finally, saw several TLs on the lot. Certain colors and trim packages really look sharp! The interior is sweet!!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Racer

the pinging is getting on my nerves...no time to take it to dealership!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=On the electric steering noise. . . I was reassured that another car I took for a test drive made the exact same noise when turning the wheel in a close space. Must truly be a characteristic of the car.
QUOTE]

Could the Steering Wheel noise be just the electrical cable(s) moving in the "reel"?
The Service Manual shows a "reel" for all the cables that connect to the Steering Wheel Switches (this technique is better than using a bunch of electric brushes).
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Advanced

Acura Customer Relations and engine knock/ping

I filed a report with Acura Customer Relations regarding the engine knocking/pinging sound I am experiencing. The person at Acura was very friendly and gave me a claim number. I was told that I would be informed if a service bulletin or "fix" was found. I was a bit surprised when he told me that they had received very few complaints about this issue. Have most of you informed your dealer or Acura corporate about this issue? What have been their responses?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by mcabutti
I was a bit surprised when he told me that they had received very few complaints about this issue. Have most of you informed your dealer or Acura corporate about this issue? What have been their responses?
Interesting... I wonder how Acura learns about issues from dealers. Do dealers even both to rely this to Acura? I bet most of the time the dealer will just brush off the customer by saying that a fix is not avail and/or it's normal.

The best thing is to call Acura Client services... just so they know.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Interesting... I wonder how Acura learns about issues from dealers. Do dealers even both to rely this to Acura? I bet most of the time the dealer will just brush off the customer by saying that a fix is not avail and/or it's normal.

The best thing is to call Acura Client services... just so they know.
For the most part, when Honda/Acura dealers can't fix a car, they call a hotline that has a team of specialists that will further aid in diagnosing the vehicle. And it gets logged and if the same concerns keep poppin' up, they'll investigate even further it and see if it is a problem or just a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

Gosh, really sucks that there are a few problems already with the 2G TSX. Was planning on getting one in the near future. But, i guess it is expected for the first year.

Question for everyone whos having this problem, if you power brake this while revving, will the noise duplicate?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I quickly read through all these posts, and just wanted to give you a heads up that Acura IS fully aware of this noise.

We had a guy in at work three times for this noise, and were finally able to duplicate it on the third time. I've been able to make it happen pretty much on demand on a flat/slight incline road, in SS mode in 2nd gear, going between 20-25 mph, with my other foot on the brake slighty. (Holy run on sentence, sorry). I drove two other 09 TSXs, and was able to get the same noise to happen, just not as loudly.

The customer's TSX had close to 10,000 miles on it, the other two that I compared to had 4 miles, and about 1000 miles.

I have talked to Tech Line three times now about this issue, and they confirmed that they are aware of it, and I quote "have an open investigation going for this issue/complaint". Things I was told to do was confirm with the customer what octane gas he is using, as well as what stations he fills up at. ACS even went as far as to have me drain the tank and fill it up with the brand and octane we use for PDI cars. (We knew this wouldn't help the problem at all, but ACS requested it be done in "customer interest" since the customer had called them many times about it). Tech line has been very helpful, and interested, in this issue.

The customer has since traded the car in for another 09 TSX (brand new one, of course), but I'm (sadly) pretty sure the noise is going to occur on his new one as well.

I just wanted to let you all know that us techs too are aware of the noise, and have made the appropriate calls to Tech Line about it...which means the engineers, etc know about it.

Whether or not a "fix" comes out, or they chalk it up to "normal characteristics" is up to them. But rest assured, if a TSB comes out, I'll be sure to let you know (though I'm on the TL forums most of the time, but I'll check this thread too of course).

Oh and V.NaK, I haven't been able to duplicate this problem in any of the cars from powerbraking it...that was actually one of the first things I tried when trying to duplicate the noise, with the customer in the car.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Advanced

ah..ok. Figured you guys at Acura would have already tried that, thought i'd ask anyways. Good to have some feedbacks from an acura tech.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by V.NaK
ah..ok. Figured you guys at Acura would have already tried that, thought i'd ask anyways. Good to have some feedbacks from an acura tech.
Hey no problem! I'm more then happy to share whatever info I have about problems/etc with cars. I have an 07 TL-S 6MT...trust me, I've had my own share of problems so. The more everyone else knows, the better!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:47 PM
CBP TLX

Ok stupid question... What is the difference between an "Acura Tech", "Acura Tech Line", "ACS", and an "Acura Enginner"???

I assume the following:
1) An "Acura Tech" is a Honda/Acura Trained Mechanic @ the Dealership.
2) An "Acura Tech Line" is Honda/Acura tech support that "Acura Techs" use when they are stumped on the problem/solution.
3) That "ACS" stands for Acura Client Services.
4) An "Engineer" are the actual Honda/Acura engineers that designed the car.

Anyways, I personally think the problem is a design flaw and would be costly to Acura to resolve. Saying it is "normal" and hoping not too many people revolt would be the the most cost-saving thing for them. Hoping that Acura proves me wrong though.....
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Ok stupid question... What is the difference between an "Acura Tech", "Acura Tech Line", "ACS", and an "Acura Enginner"???

I assume the following:
1) An "Acura Tech" is a Honda/Acura Trained Mechanic @ the Dealership.
2) An "Acura Tech Line" is Honda/Acura tech support that "Acura Techs" use when they are stumped on the problem/solution.
3) That "ACS" stands for Acura Client Services.
4) An "Engineer" are the actual Honda/Acura engineers that designed the car.

Anyways, I personally think the problem is a design flaw and would be costly to Acura to resolve. Saying it is "normal" and hoping not too many people revolt would be the the most cost-saving thing for them. Hoping that Acura proves me wrong though.....

Not a stupid question man! You're pretty right on with your definitions.
1) An Acura tech is someone like me. I'm a technician at an Acura dealership (On a side note, you can be an Acura Certified Master Technician if you get a shitload of training/etc done at Acura's schools. I'm one of them )
2) Tech line is when we're stumped on something, or need to report problems to Honda/Acura. It's a bunch of specialists who are (usually) very intelligent. Very helpful and friendly on the occasions I have to talk to them.
3) ACS is Acura client services. That's who the customers call when they have a problem with the service/repair/etc they received at the dealership. ACS then calls the dealership at times to resolve the problem.
4) Engineers are the ones who actually designed a specific system, component, etc, and (one) of the groups of poeple who will attempt to correct something that is wrong (say, the huge power steering hose recall for the 3G TLs).

I guess we will see what Acura decides to do with the noise from these 2G TSXs...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Racer

I'm glad you took the time to look this over, hopefully theres a fix, if not its no big deal IMO!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 AM
Instructor

Just wondering if the engine pinging issue in the 2G TSX resolved?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

I hate the 2nd gen TSX noise !!!!!

Will this noise go away time by time
Old 11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
2nd Gear

09 tsx

I am working on my New York Lemon Law about the knocking/pinging noise around 2000 to 4000 rpm when accelerating. The dealership give me a answer is "AT THIS POINT IN TIME THERE IS NO REPAIR FOR IT, CONSIDERED NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THIS VEHICLE. IF AT A FUTURE DATE ACURA COMES OUT WITH A CORRECTION FOR THIS, DEALER WILL BEABLE TO REAPAIR". I think there is a defect in my TSX engine or torque converter and Acura are refuessing to fix my defect of the engine or torque converter.

Quick Reply: A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*