Takeda Air Intake.. legit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takeda Air Intake.. legit?

Saw this on ebay just now. Takeda Air Intake for 08-09..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...=p4506.c0.m245

Im assuming its for first gen? But it says 09...
Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

and this one says 2009 specifically

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TAKED...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Google is your friend:

http://www.takedausa.com/application/applications.php

First line, TL-1002P.

I think it's talked about here, as well:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-performance-parts-modifications-299/cold-air-intake-installed-711957/

Last edited by MrOtocinclus; 09-15-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
hm..part number seems to be the same?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Hey man I can tell you all about this.

I bought it when it first came out. What is real good is you can convert it from short ram to CAI and vice versa.

The short ram will give you more power down low, and CAI the opposite.

I went to college in Florida but recently graduated and am now in New York.

Although one would get more power from a CAI, I decided to make it short ram. On this car it makes a real nice noise upon acceleration as a short ram. If I were in Miami still, I probably would have opted for the CAI due to the heat (possible heat soak).

In New York, it wont be too hot, and the short ram will give me everything I need.

Because this car is kinddda heavy and I felt as if I wanted more power down low upon initial acceleration, short ram is perfect.

Overall, the takeda part in question is veryyyy good. I can feel the extra power, and the sound it makes turns a lott of heads
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

good to know. right on.. how is it on gas. im not gentle when i drive, im assuming it will kill gas
Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

C4n3s, how difficult is it to install the part? What tools did you use?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

haha - I know some people on here say that if you can't install the part, don't get the part.....but I had it installed in a shop.

The main reason: I got this car as a graduation present and the pops didn't want me going under the hood (just yet) for fear I'd mess something up, break car, void warranty, and spark an apocalypse. So I just had it done in the shop.

The price: will range from shop to shop, also weather you get CAI or short ram. CAI will inevitably be more expensive do the the extra labor involved.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

nope. studies/tests have shown it actually improves gas milage

nothing crazy, but something.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by C4n3s
nope. studies/tests have shown it actually improves gas milage.
Yup, if you keep your foot out of the loud pedal relative to how you drove before installing it.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

hmm. lots to think about.. i really want it even though $330ish isnt really worth it..especially since the prices will drop once others start rollin out theirs, anyone seen good deals. I saw 330 and free shipping.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it make the whining noise like the stock intake? or is it something different? I'd love to make that sucking noise a bit louder
Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They should sell the short ram at a lower cost. Not that I personally would buy it, but obviously some poeple would use the short ram instead of the full CAI but that price is a bit much if you only intend to use it as a short ram.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would wait for a couple of months. I am sure that there will be several out soon. I personally don't like metal tube intakes because of the heat they soak up. Unless you don't sit in to much traffic.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just curious, and pardon my ignorance, but how is this different from removing the intake resonator? Looking at the pictures, it looks like the openings for the SRI, CAI, and resonator-removed are all located in the same general area in the engine bay. Granted, the SRI and CAI have that filter thing at the end, but it wouldn't be hard to add one, right?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 AM

The OE box and resonator is built for "quiet function" over form or even efficiency. I have it on very good advice that the stock box and resonator is very restrictive.

So, if you want noise, remove the resonator, for a tuned CAI, the tube & filter or box style would be tuned for max performance.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
We have these also:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-262838.aspx
Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
The OE box and resonator is built for "quiet function" over form or even efficiency. I have it on very good advice that the stock box and resonator is very restrictive.

So, if you want noise, remove the resonator, for a tuned CAI, the tube & filter or box style would be tuned for max performance.
Thanks HeavyDuty, you're like a walking car encyclopedia!

I've been looking at some pictures of this product and I still can't get over the fact that it's just a metal tube leading into the stock box (airbox?), versus stock which is a plastic tube. I'm curious about this so I'm going to take a look under my hood and maybe snap some pictures so we can further this discussion. Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Thanks HeavyDuty, you're like a walking car encyclopedia!
I just know from doing, but some of my acquaintences?...I wish I knew 10% of what they've forgotten.

The Takeda tube bolts to the throttle body and the other end of the tube is mounted in the hollow area behind the bumper under the headlight. That's where all CAI's would ultimately draw cool air from.

Out stock boxes draw from a shrouded rectangular tube to the left of or pass side from the battery. It's forward from the radiator shroud to get cooler air, but still it's pretty warm under there. Remove that shroud then put your hand over the opening with the engine running and you'll feel how much vacuum it's pulling. On other model cars, that opening might just be a vent to prevent hydrolock, but I think this is where the primary airstream is pulled from on this car.

As far as CAI's...I don't prefer metal tubes for 'cool outside air' to flow through. IMHO, it defeats the purpose of a CAI because of all the heat transferred to the incoming air through that tube by way of the air flowing over and getting heated up by the radiator, you know?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Takeda tube bolts to the throttle body and the other end of the tube is mounted in the hollow area behind the bumper under the headlight. That's where all CAI's would ultimately draw cool air from.
Yes, I have observed this hollow area, when I took off and put back the intake resonator. It seems to be an enclosed space, though, with some small holes along the bottom of the bumper cover. Theoretically, would the CAI suck air into that enclosed space via those holes?

Out stock boxes draw from a shrouded rectangular tube to the left of or pass side from the battery. It's forward from the radiator shroud to get cooler air, but still it's pretty warm under there. Remove that shroud then put your hand over the opening with the engine running and you'll feel how much vacuum it's pulling. On other model cars, that opening might just be a vent to prevent hydrolock, but I think this is where the primary airstream is pulled from on this car.
I agree, when putting the resonator back in I had trouble inserting the resonator's intake tube because I didn't know where it was supposed to connect. I found out it was that shrouded rectangular tube. I'm very curious to try putting my hand there when the engine's running now that you mention it.

As far as CAI's...I don't prefer metal tubes for 'cool outside air' to flow through. IMHO, it defeats the purpose of a CAI because of all the heat transferred to the incoming air through that tube by way of the air flowing over and getting heated up by the radiator, you know?
Yes, I understand. I did a similar experiment with my computer once, trying to vent hot CPU exhaust using aluminum foil as the duct. It ended up raising temperatures even more than with the stock cooler.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Theoretically, would the CAI suck air into that enclosed space via those holes?
I don't think it would directly flow through those holes exclusively, but there's air coming in around the headlight and the grill and bumper opening enough to draw from. There wouldn't be any vacuum in that area. Atmosphere is 1 bar, and will keep that area full of cool(er) non-turbulent air. I will probably cut slits in the fake brake duct openings on the TSX to feed the icebox.

I agree, when putting the resonator back in I had trouble inserting the resonator's intake tube because I didn't know where it was supposed to connect. I found out it was that shrouded rectangular tube. I'm very curious to try putting my hand there when the engine's running now that you mention it.
I tried it and it's not enough to cause the engine to stall, but enough for one to realize there's no other path for the air to enter that system. The CAI ram-air I fabricated for my 91 SE-R back in 93 (there weren't any CAI's then that I knew of) would cause the engine to stall when i covered it with my hand. I was such a tool, I had a velocity stack air horn from a Lincoln Mark VIII subtly sticking through the fake brake duct in the bumper opening. It made a difference, I don't care what anyone says, lol.

Yes, I understand. I did a similar experiment with my computer once, trying to vent hot CPU exhaust using aluminum foil as the duct. It ended up raising temperatures even more than with the stock cooler.
Yup, but it was worth a try to know yourself for sure, right?