View Poll Results: What Carbon fiber parts are you interested in?
Carbon Fiber hood
23.68%
Carbon Fiber Trunk
0%
Carbon Fiber hood and trunk
34.21%
Nah, not for me
42.11%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Carbon fiber hood and trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Carbon fiber hood and trunk

Hey I got in touch with well I can't even find the email now but they're my friend on facebook. Its a company who makes custom Carbon fiber hoods and trunks and other minor alterations.

Well they offered to design a Carbon fiber hood and or trunk if we had enough pre orders.

Who all is interested in this?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, not for me.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
they'd need to become a vendor first, have them contact me if this is to go forward.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bro i am down, what is the cost? id also be down for a CF front lip and CF mirrors
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
estimate please?? carb hood...
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
I would be down for a CF hood in the future would it be OEM style or could he add like hood vents and stuff to it
Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
what about just a regular fiberglass with hood vents?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:45 PM
6th Gear

Estimated cost is about $400. We've emailed the administration of acurazine in regard to becoming a vendor. It depends on pricing whether we'll be able to do it.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Racer

ehhh i duno bout carbon fiber on a tsx.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Banned

400! im game, ill take the hood and trunk
Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
ehhh i duno bout carbon fiber on a tsx.
same heree, but might think differently if i see some ;]
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be interested in both just for the weight savings. I would of course paint match both because I am not really a fan of the different color body parts on cars.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
No thanks & even the best made ones are time consuming to fit right.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
No thanks & even the best made ones are time consuming to fit right.
No kidding we just sent three hoods back to Downforce for our NSX. We finally got a good one. The lip would not match the factory lines next to the headlights.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 PM
B A N N E D

You guys are lame if you want to cheapen the TSX with this crap. It's not even a performance car. If you want attention, have someone airbrush a giant vagina on the hood. I bet everyone will look then.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Originally Posted by Life Dies
You guys are lame if you want to cheapen the TSX with this crap. It's not even a performance car. If you want attention, have someone airbrush a giant vagina on the hood. I bet everyone will look then.
ok?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Burning Brakes

????
but putting a honda emblem, blackening out chrome, and putting 18 inch lighter performance wheels of random colors, and big flashy brake kits, and intakes and super chargers are acceptable ways to increase the value look of the vehicle?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Tishkevich
????
but putting a honda emblem, blackening out chrome, and putting 18 inch lighter performance wheels of random colors, and big flashy brake kits, and intakes and super chargers are acceptable ways to increase the value look of the vehicle?

Are you sure you wont consider the vagina? I know a guy...
Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Banned

your so gay. its not about cheapening the look of the car. Im sure most of us would paint it, I know that I would. The purpose of cf parts is for weight reduction. A lot of us plan on boosting the cars, and the added weight reduction would make the car ride even better.

so for us this is a great way to lighten up the car, but for you a giant penis on your hood would be great to pick up guys as you stroll throught he city
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BOOSTED09TSX
No kidding we just sent three hoods back to Downforce for our NSX. We finally got a good one. The lip would not match the factory lines next to the headlights.
The biggest issue with this crap if it's not from someone like Seibon or the CTE stuff (there are others) is that when one uses an original part as the "buck" or "plug" with which you make the mold. The process creates a lot of heat and warps the part, and in turn, the mold. Then you have the desire of the glass man to give a crap how it's laid.

Some of it you can work around by adjusting the body panels, the latch and even manipulate the hinges and header panel/radiator support but it takes time and a fair degree of skill. People don't know that and don't want to pay you 2-3 man/hours to make it look correct.

Life DiesYou guys are lame if you want to cheapen the TSX with this crap. It's not even a performance car. If you want attention, have someone airbrush a giant vagina on the hood. I bet everyone will look then.

No, it's not a stop light bruiser, but that's not the only measure of a car's performance.

As far as the CF stuff, it's a style, Life Dies, you can opt out and are free to state your opinion, but for the most part we're self monitoring here and being a troll isn't tolerated by any of us each and to the other. That was unnecessary, don't be a dick and don't lump everyone in the same category.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
B A N N E D

Lighten the vehicle? So if the vehicle weights 3500 pounds and you save 15, that means you have reduced the weight of the vehicle .004 percent. If you guys wanted to race, why not buy a fast car? I understand the whole concept of modifying, trust me. But trying to make the TSX a racey car is like taking a fat girl to Victoria's Secret. You might find a nice outfit for her but she's still fat.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Lighten the vehicle? So if the vehicle weights 3500 pounds and you save 15, that means you have reduced the weight of the vehicle .004 percent. If you guys wanted to race, why not buy a fast car? I understand the whole concept of modifying, trust me. But trying to make the TSX a racey car is like taking a fat girl to Victoria's Secret. You might find a nice outfit for her but she's still fat.
Life Dies, your point is well-taken. I'm not for putting a CF hood on our car but at the same time I can understand why someone would. To each man his own and if it makes him happy, what does it matter? Every woman has her charm, you just have to know where to look for it. There are plenty of people who would love to take a fat girl to VS.

In your other thread, you're talking about upgrading the sound system in the TSX. A purist might argue that you're putting a booming system into a wimpy Japanese car and ask you why you're wasting your time with that, and I'm sure it wouldn't make you feel good.

We're all enthusiasts here and we're all enthusiastic about different things, no need to rain on other people's parades.

Disclaimer: I don't think the TSX is a wimpy Japanese car but I might understand if an American muscle lover said so.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

what is the weight of the stock hood? cf will cut off more than 15 lbs
Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 PM
B A N N E D

I give up. You guys win.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Just wanted to know what you think a performance car is? I don' think anyone here thinks that there TSX is a sports car but I thought that most of the magazine's had the the TSX as a sports sedan. BTW my 2009 TSX now has over 300hp. I think that most people here would think that is a would make it a performance car.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Vancouver B.C.

BTW my 2009 TSX now has over 300hp. I think that most people here would think that is a would make it a performance car.
so sick
Old 10-10-2009, 11:15 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
BTW my 2009 TSX now has over 300hp. I think that most people here would think that is a would make it a performance car.
so sick
+1!!!! dude. thats awesomeee man. hows the ride?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Just wanted to know what you think a performance car is? I don' think anyone here thinks that there TSX is a sports car but I thought that most of the magazine's had the the TSX as a sports sedan. BTW my 2009 TSX now has over 300hp. I think that most people here would think that is a would make it a performance car.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

haha
Old 10-13-2009, 12:13 PM
6th Gear

I assure you, the mold won't be warped. You'd have to put a LOT of Catalyst on there to warp a hood. Besides, if enough people are interested we probably will outsource it to Seibon or ViS.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:24 PM
B A N N E D

LOL. Polyester resin in a cf hood? My sentiments exactly. You guys are world class. $400 bucks gets you a layer of cf in a hood made of resin rich fiber glass with gelcoat to mask the porosity. The same techniques used to make surf boards back in 1960 being put on your 2010 TSX. Legendary.

A real CF hood would set you back some bucks. Let's stop pretending.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
6th Gear

LOL. Polyester resin in a cf hood? My sentiments exactly. You guys are world class. $400 bucks gets you a layer of cf in a hood made of resin rich fiber glass with gelcoat to mask the porosity. The same techniques used to make surf boards back in 1960 being put on your 2010 TSX. Legendary.

A real CF hood would set you back some bucks. Let's stop pretending.
We don't use polyester resin in our one off parts unless the customer specifically asks for fiberglass in it. Generally speaking, we'd spray gel coat and lay 1-2 layers of ~4oz 2x2 and then build on that with ~16oz carbon.

Seibon and ViS both spray gel coat, lay a few layers of carbon and then build up with pigmented fiberglass behind that. That is how almost every carbon part out there is made.

Last edited by Cosborne; 10-13-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 PM

I should have typed my remarks along my line of thinking, sorry. A stock hood used as a buck would not warp, correct. Almost invariably the variants of the original part created with roven and a layer of CF just under the gel coat would lend itself to scoops and vents and all that stuff. In that natural progression, a metal hood *probably* wouldn't be used as the buck, but rather a part produced would be the foundation, then the scoops, etc added to that, then it would be used as a buck.

The worst parts are the knock-offs using a Mugen, etc as the buck. Sorry for the confusion.

As far as the construction goes, Life Dies, yeah, that's what this stuff is, it's a style and although lighter than stock it's not full CF autoclaved like the real pieces. I.E. How much is the Mugen CF top for an S2000? Is it even vacuumed 100% carbon? I dunno.

The purpose of me bitching about stuff like this is that people buy it not realizing what it really is and how poorly *most* of it fits without a little work to fit it to the car. I don't have an axe to grind with the people who make it, but I'm sure that's how I'm coming across.

I've seen and installed VIS stuff. No thanks. I've seen the Seibon stuff and it's very nice. I've also seen, installed and fitted Fiber Images stuff too and it's the most consistent of the reasonably priced mid-level product (if they're still in business.) All of it needs work to fit, I don't care who makes it.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 PM
B A N N E D

I owned a composite manufactuing facility a while back. The material technology today is really good. Autoclaving is not required for quality pieces with some of the newer one-sided impregnated stuff. I've seen some really great stuff resently.

But the crap that you can buy for 400 bucks is garbage. You guys want to put on some piece made from a contact lay-up process? That's like having your TSX engineered from some guy with a hammer and an anvil. Such injustice for a well engineered machine.

So, don't get all ahead of yourself telling anyone you're doing it for the performance.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Cosborne
We don't use polyester resin in our one off parts unless the customer specifically asks for fiberglass in it. Generally speaking, we'd spray gel coat and lay 1-2 layers of ~4oz 2x2 and then build on that with ~16oz carbon.

Seibon and ViS both spray gel coat, lay a few layers of carbon and then build up with pigmented fiberglass behind that. That is how almost every carbon part out there is made.

What? Why did you use the word catalyst in the same sentence which described your manufacturing methodology? Do you have a clue what you're talking about? Seriously?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dunno about the rules there in US, but here in Oz, its forbidden to use 100% CF materials on the car...
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 PM

I owned a composite manufactuing facility a while back. The material technology today is really good. Autoclaving is not required for quality pieces with some of the newer one-sided impregnated stuff. I've seen some really great stuff resently.

But the crap that you can buy for 400 bucks is garbage. You guys want to put on some piece made from a contact lay-up process? That's like having your TSX engineered from some guy with a hammer and an anvil. Such injustice for a well engineered machine.

So, don't get all ahead of yourself telling anyone you're doing it for the performance.
How does the impregnated stuff do with contours? I think I handled a sample at SEMA years ago, but wasn't' sure about how it would differ for the fabricator.

I'm with ya, I think both of our points are that it's nothing more than a layer of carbon fiber with a chopped glass, roven or whatever substrate and it's not about performance. It's a styling theme and usually a poorly executed one save for the high end ($1500+) pieces this size.

LOL about the hammer & anvil, I usually use;

"Manufacturing tolerances strictly limited to +/- a hammer handle."

If someone just wants the look, so be it, to each their own, but it's way better for that person to know what they're getting into.

Can you imagine a CF deck lid made this way? Seriously? Like anyone would want their trunk to constantly be full of water & smell like a wet dog?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey dude, how did you get your tsx to be over 300hp? want to fill me in puhlease! =)
Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
How does the impregnated stuff do with contours? I think I handled a sample at SEMA years ago, but wasn't' sure about how it would differ for the fabricator.

I'm with ya, I think both of our points are that it's nothing more than a layer of carbon fiber with a chopped glass, roven or whatever substrate and it's not about performance. It's a styling theme and usually a poorly executed one save for the high end ($1500+) pieces this size.

LOL about the hammer & anvil, I usually use;

"Manufacturing tolerances strictly limited to +/- a hammer handle."

If someone just wants the look, so be it, to each their own, but it's way better for that person to know what they're getting into.

Can you imagine a CF deck lid made this way? Seriously? Like anyone would want their trunk to constantly be full of water & smell like a wet dog?

With a twill weave it works just fine particularly when you lay it on a bias. The parts I've seen recently have such low porocity content it's truly amazing. I used to manufacture parts using a pressurized resin infusion process that was proprietary that would turn parts with nearly zero porocity. Truly amazing pieces can be made without an autoclave these days.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Interesting input, thanks.

Is there any difference in the application for 'decorative' vs 'structural' with the new stuff?

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber hood and trunk