Any Requests? Taking my 2011 TSX 6speed to the Dyno on Wednesday for a FlashPro Tune.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014 | 01:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2011 TSX
196 is good right?? The mid range feels really solid now, 6 gear at freeway speeds no need to downshift at all unless the cops are after me.

I'm really happy with the top end though, It feels like it could keep on pulling beyond 7200rpm with ease. But being close to 100HP per litre at the crank leaves me pretty content until CT-Engineering gets their CARB approval for their supercharger.
You said you were running a full RV6 setup. Are you running a test pipe or HFC? Also no SRI or CAI?

Thanks

Last edited by katanamast279; 12-01-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2014 | 01:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by katanamast279
You said you were running a full RV6 setup. Are you running a test pipe or HFC? Also no SRI or CAI?

Thanks
Running the test pipe, no cat and no SRI or CAI, just a drop in filter and the airbox resonator removed with a 4inch diameter elbow from the bottom of the airbox to the wheel well to bring in outside air.

I posted a lengthy write up in this thread if interested in my setup.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2011 TSX:
iCrap (12-02-2014), xtcnrice (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014 | 03:09 PM
I like cars.

Do your exhaust sound raspy?
Old 12-02-2014 | 04:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iselfdevi
Do your exhaust sound raspy?
It did until i fixed that issue. It used to have a bad rasp from 2500 - 4500rpm, down right embarrassing. I used to feather the throttle and drive like grandma to keep the sound in check. I don't even think the sound would have even been cool in the socal Honda scene in 1995. So I read through the forums here and decided the perforated resonator would be the best avenue to get rid of the rasp. I went to a local muffler shop and told them I wanted the longest one they had. So believe it or not I have a 24" cherry bomb resonator welded in about 3 inches after the straight pipe. Total cost was $120 and worth every penny. The difference was immeadiate and the car basically has a quiet normal sounding exhaust at all RPMs now.

So if RV6 is listening , I'd like to float the idea of having an additional secondary cat replacement option of a perforated resonator with flanges on each end in addition to their high flow cat and standard straight pipe choices.
Old 12-02-2014 | 05:21 PM
Advanced

It did until i fixed that issue. It used to have a bad rasp from 2500 - 4500rpm, down right embarrassing. I used to feather the throttle and drive like grandma to keep the sound in check. I don't even think the sound would have even been cool in the socal Honda scene in 1995. So I read through the forums here and decided the perforated resonator would be the best avenue to get rid of the rasp. I went to a local muffler shop and told them I wanted the longest one they had. So believe it or not I have a 24" cherry bomb resonator welded in about 3 inches after the straight pipe. Total cost was $120 and worth every penny. The difference was immeadiate and the car basically has a quiet normal sounding exhaust at all RPMs now.

So if RV6 is listening , I'd like to float the idea of having an additional secondary cat replacement option of a perforated resonator with flanges on each end in addition to their high flow cat and standard straight pipe choices.
Is the car alot louder now compared to stock? disregarding the rasp.
Old 12-02-2014 | 06:07 PM
Advanced

Is the car a lot louder now compared to stock? disregarding the rasp.
Not at all, under normal boring driving conditions it sounds stock. Full throttle it is probably a bit louder maybe 1-2db and it sounds like a nice sporty Honda exhaust. But to be honest my intake pretty much over powers the exhaust anyway.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014 | 07:55 PM
I like cars.

I'm a fan of the ol cherry bomb glass packs. I'm going to get one as well. The red paint will match my paint!
Old 12-08-2014 | 09:03 PM
Advanced

Not at all, under normal boring driving conditions it sounds stock. Full throttle it is probably a bit louder maybe 1-2db and it sounds like a nice sporty Honda exhaust. But to be honest my intake pretty much over powers the exhaust anyway.
Is your car throwing a CEL or code? I just installed a RV6 Downpipe on my car this past weekend and it ran fine until today. I doubt that anything is actually wrong. I think the engine is confused because of the increased airflow and deletion of the primary cat.
Old 12-09-2014 | 12:05 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Is your car throwing a CEL or code? I just installed a RV6 Downpipe on my car this past weekend and it ran fine until today. I doubt that anything is actually wrong. I think the engine is confused because of the increased airflow and deletion of the primary cat.
Try resetting the ECU so it relearns. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes, and connect it back. If the code comes back a few days later, analyze the code. It has been discussed at length in the PCD threads, but it is likely due to the tightness (or lack of) of the defouler on the PCD.
Old 12-09-2014 | 09:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Try resetting the ECU so it relearns. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes, and connect it back. If the code comes back a few days later, analyze the code. It has been discussed at length in the PCD threads, but it is likely due to the tightness (or lack of) of the defouler on the PCD.
Ok so last night I reset the ECU and the code went away. Hopefully it wont come on again. I'm curious to know if I replace the 2nd cat with a HFC, will it get rid of the nasty smell from the exhaust? I'm mot sure if I need a HFC to pass emissions here in Texas. I doubt it.
Old 12-09-2014 | 09:47 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Ok so last night I reset the ECU and the code went away. Hopefully it wont come on again. I'm curious to know if I replace the 2nd cat with a HFC, will it get rid of the nasty smell from the exhaust? I'm mot sure if I need a HFC to pass emissions here in Texas. I doubt it.
I'm pretty sure replacing your OEM second cat with the RV6 HFC will only add more of that smell.
Old 12-09-2014 | 12:27 PM
Advanced

Yea I threw codes a lot, pretty much all the time. it would go away after a couple of days then come right back. I just lived with it, but something happened when Hondata reflashed my ECU with the updated Honda/Acura image and it never came back. Then after the actual Hondata map and dyno tune it's still gone. So not sure what exactly happened, I'll just chalk it up to the newer ECU software version as the fix.
Old 12-09-2014 | 12:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
I'm pretty sure replacing your OEM second cat with the RV6 HFC will only add more of that smell.

Oh yea all my cars that had no cat always had a strong smell. Be sure to put your climate control in recirculate when backing up, helps keep the odors from getting in. Sometimes at stop lights I see other people putting up their windows, I feel bad.
xtcnrice (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014 | 12:34 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Yea I threw codes a lot, pretty much all the time. it would go away after a couple of days then come right back. I just lived with it, but something happened when Hondata reflashed my ECU with the updated Honda/Acura image and it never came back. Then after the actual Hondata map and dyno tune it's still gone. So not sure what exactly happened, I'll just chalk it up to the newer ECU software version as the fix.
Hondata map probably disabled secondary O2 sensor.

Oh yea all my cars that had no cat always had a strong smell. Be sure to put your climate control in recirculate when backing up, helps keep the odors from getting in. Sometimes at stop lights I see other people putting up their windows, I feel bad.

I only have the PCD and I only somewhat smell it in the cabin after WOT for at least 2 gears in duration. So satisfying revving past 7000 rpm...
Old 12-12-2014 | 08:43 AM
Advanced

Lmao. Well honestly the smell isnt that bad. Just curious if I can pass emissions or would I need to put the stock header back on. Hope not though.
Old 12-12-2014 | 10:14 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Lmao. Well honestly the smell isnt that bad. Just curious if I can pass emissions or would I need to put the stock header back on. Hope not though.
There are definitely shops out there that, how should I put it, "won't notice the smell". You're likely to pass if you don't throw a CEL and you have an HFC or OEM second cat.
Old 12-12-2014 | 04:12 PM
Advanced

Not sure what state or even what country you reside, but in Cali you can request a practice smog check, it's like 40 bucks.
Old 01-08-2015 | 03:25 PM
7th Gear

I attached the tune and the dyno sheet as well for anyone to use or look at.
My 2011 TSX engine mods are as follows for anyone interested:
Full RV6 setup no cat with a 24" perforated resonator, only way I could get rid of the rasp.
Mobil1 0w-20
Air box resonator removed with a 4 or 5" PVC elbow from the bottom of the air box going into the wheel well to draw in cooler air. Search the forums as I posted pics of that setup.
Drop in K&N
Body and engine has about 7,500 miles on it, might see more power as the engine breaks in more.

I'm really happy with my tune. The car peaked out at 217whp which was quite a jump from the Hondata base map. Let me explain:

When I first went and tried to tune the TSX there was an issue with the ECU part number which you can read in the previous posts. So Church Automotive was only able to do a baseline run. When I wetn the first time the car put down 196WHP. That was with the Honda/Acura factory ECU mapping. I worked with Hondata and they were able to fix the issue with my ECU part number. I was unable to go back to the Dyno until a later time [today] but I did install/lock the flash pro to my car when I got home after the first attempt.

Fast forward to today, I arrived at church automotive and we did a new baseline and the power was down about 15 - 20 HP across the revs and was down around 20tq as well. I believe the first pull netted about 183WHP, I asked Sean[Dyno tuner] how come? He said it looks like the Hondata map needs more fuel. So he made some adjustments and within two runs he was back up to my original dyno pull at around 198WHP. Sean said he added some timing and lots of fuel to get it back up to our original amount. He then proceeded for about two hours and I believe about 25 pulls and said he thinks he has a good compromise with usable smooth power and peak HP, with a solid mid range. All said and done we hit 217.7WHP which is almost 20hp from the first baseline and almost 35hp from the first Hondata pull. Keep in mind this is a hub dyno and they tend to read closer to the crank HP than your more common roller dynos. I asked him what do you think the Engine is outputting...230HP? He said probably closer to 240hp. He said these engines are underrated from the factory.
If you don't know who Sean Church is, google his name he is arguably one of if not the best Honda tuners out there. So attached to this reply is his calibration for my car, feel free to try it out but keep in mind the mods I have and I was also running Cali 91 octane.

Here is a pic of the Dyno Chart. The Middle line is my original run about a month ago stock ECU. The bottom line is the Hondata basemap. The top Line is the Sean Church tune.

I've been to Hondata as well. I dealt directly with Doug who is the owner, my 2012 tsx was used to get the software out for the TSX 5AT. Was an awesome experience got to see the cars etc. They hooked me up with a bunch of free stuff as a thank you for using my car, got me a rental until they were done, and even went and topped off my fluids for me!
What did the dyno tune run you? I can't really find anyone by me who can tune. 1.5 hr drive to have the car tuned properly is worth the drive. I think my results should show a bigger increase than you saw. CT-Engineering icebox intake and custom exhaust. I'm looking at getting the rv-6 setup for my car as well. Any noticeable difference? They guys at Hondata recommended a high flow cat before I dyno it. Doug said to also throw on the CT Supercharger but I don't have 4k lying around right now unfortunately.
Old 01-08-2015 | 03:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ftblstud45
I've been to Hondata as well. I dealt directly with Doug who is the owner, my 2012 tsx was used to get the software out for the TSX 5AT. Was an awesome experience got to see the cars etc. They hooked me up with a bunch of free stuff as a thank you for using my car, got me a rental until they were done, and even went and topped off my fluids for me! <br />
What did the dyno tune run you? I can't really find anyone by me who can tune. 1.5 hr drive to have the car tuned properly is worth the drive. I think my results should show a bigger increase than you saw. CT-Engineering icebox intake and custom exhaust. I'm looking at getting the rv-6 setup for my car as well. Any noticeable difference? They guys at Hondata recommended a high flow cat before I dyno it. Doug said to also throw on the CT Supercharger but I don't have 4k lying around right now unfortunately.
<br />
<br />
I assume since you went to Hondata that you could go to Church Automotive they are about 10 miles from each other. The tune was $300, because I bought the Flash Pro from Church, I think it's $400 normally. <br />
<br />
When I got my tour of Hondata I was excited too. The Landspeed cars are really cool.

Last edited by 2011 TSX; 01-08-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2015 | 04:11 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by ftblstud45
I've been to Hondata as well. I dealt directly with Doug who is the owner, my 2012 tsx was used to get the software out for the TSX 5AT. Was an awesome experience got to see the cars etc. They hooked me up with a bunch of free stuff as a thank you for using my car, got me a rental until they were done, and even went and topped off my fluids for me!
OP is 6MT and has the RV6 PCD and testpipe. He experiences less drivetrain loss compared to the 5AT, and the RV6 setup is really the most gains you'll get from a standard N/A bolt-on part. I think these things together will make it really hard for you to obtain a bigger increase than he did. The RV6 setup will do more than the intake and catback altogether IMO, unless your custom exhaust starts all the way from the exhaust manifold. Unless of course you're saying, you have these items in addition to what he already has (so... RV6 setup + CAI + exhaust), then maybe.
Old 01-08-2015 | 05:25 PM
Instructor

Where are you guys buying your Flashpro from?
Old 01-08-2015 | 10:14 PM
Instructor

And the PCD besides RV6?
Old 01-08-2015 | 11:40 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Got my FlashPro from HeelToe auto. Great guys.

Got my RV6 PCD from optimusaccord here on azine. He went turbo so the part was no longer applicable to him.
MrHeeltoe (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015 | 10:14 AM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by curtdragon
Where are you guys buying your Flashpro from?
I can't even remember who I bought my flashpro from. I think it was excelerate.. they were doing a deal of like $660 or something at the time. But I was also like the first one to buy it here on Azine.

If I could do it over, I would buy it from VIT since he sells it with a tuning package, so in the end you save money since everyone tunes with VIT.

Last edited by ssjoeboe9; 01-09-2015 at 10:25 AM.
xtcnrice (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015 | 10:53 AM
Instructor

I ended up doing the Flashpro and eTune from Vit
Old 01-09-2015 | 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor

technically everyone doesn't use vit. one of my customers is using him now and is getting tired of doing hard runs on public roads over days. it isnt really for everyone. anyone with access to a local dyno is going to be safer and coat less in gas getting an actual tune on a dyno.

Vit has a good rep for a reason but remote etunes are not ideal.
Old 01-09-2015 | 02:43 PM
Instructor

I don't know anyone in Nashville that I would trust for that stuff
Old 01-09-2015 | 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Using someone who knows how to use flash pro on our cars is verry important this is my areas best honda tuner with 15 plus year experience tuning my car cost me 3 grand in parts and machine shop
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...%3DDqF3SizPP9Q
ssjoeboe9 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015 | 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Having a dealer closeby helps...FWIW the dealers are listed online here:
Hondata Dealers

(Heeltoe partnered with Church for all tuning and dyno needs and we stock all popular flashpros).
Old 01-10-2015 | 10:21 AM
ROTAREDOM

Has anyone used Slowmotion tuning near Columbus OH?
Old 01-11-2015 | 09:06 AM
Racer

Seems like the flash pro is getting more solid for our platform , might have to pick one up come spring time