vtec4me21 - 2011 TSX non navi Sound System install log

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014 | 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Hi Black or VTEC, so how would I hook the tweeter and mid range speaker since I'm ditching the cross over that came w/ my component to the amplifier?

Also, what does Vtec mean by connecting the capacitor inline on the + side of each tweeter post amp?
Old 12-10-2014 | 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by viind

Also, what does Vtec mean by connecting the capacitor inline on the + side of each tweeter post amp?
The capacitor acts as a hi-pass filter.. filtering out the lower frequency ranges that your tweeter cant play. The power output from the amp normally goes to positive and negative of the tweeter.. what you would do instead is place the capacitor on the positive tweeter lead and connect the positive amp wire to the other side of the tweeter...negative amp wire goes to negative tweeter terminal as usual. (Capacitor in series)
Old 12-10-2014 | 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

Hi Danny,

So I'll need to use 2 channels just for the 2 tweeters and then another 2 channel to power the mid range speakers?

Usually when I power single channel to the crossover that comes with the component and it splits out mid range and tweeter but I'm going with Vtec's route and not use crossover that comes with component. This is something new to me.

Thanks,
Vinh

Originally Posted by D4nnyD
The capacitor acts as a hi-pass filter.. filtering out the lower frequency ranges that your tweeter cant play. The power output from the amp normally goes to positive and negative of the tweeter.. what you would do instead is place the capacitor on the positive tweeter lead and connect the positive amp wire to the other side of the tweeter...negative amp wire goes to negative tweeter terminal as usual. (Capacitor in series)
Old 12-10-2014 | 10:13 PM
Instructor

Yessir 4 channels.. Because the ms8 will decide which sounds to send to which speaker.. It's referred to as active vs passive( using supplied crossovers) processing. And just google inline cap if you don't get it... I had some troubled grasping it at first..but once I did some research I realised how simple it is.. Basically.. The positive speaker wire between tweeter and amp gets cut..and you put the cap in there.. Solder it or whatever method works for you..I don't know if positap would work for this
Old 12-11-2014 | 11:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackNsexy2010
Yessir 4 channels.. Because the ms8 will decide which sounds to send to which speaker.. It's referred to as active vs passive( using supplied crossovers) processing. And just google inline cap if you don't get it... I had some troubled grasping it at first..but once I did some research I realised how simple it is.. Basically.. The positive speaker wire between tweeter and amp gets cut..and you put the cap in there.. Solder it or whatever method works for you..I don't know if positap would work for this
^^

I wouldnt posi-tap this tho. He should also figure out what value cap he needs as well. It will be different for different frequency cut off.
Old 12-12-2014 | 06:42 AM
Instructor

Yeah this is better soldered and heat shrunk
Old 12-13-2014 | 06:27 PM
Cruisin'

Hi guys, I bought the same capacitor as Vtec did. Would there be any issue for my focal tweeter?
Old 12-14-2014 | 07:56 AM
Instructor

There r some charts on what to use..it might even be linked further up in this thread.. I noticed most ppl bought either like 20 Or 22 so I went to radio shack and did the same .. So far so good
Old 12-15-2014 | 01:47 PM
Cruisin'

Hi Black, last night I changed my front tweeter & speaker. The stock OEM speaker & tweeter wire does not match from the wire in trunk that goes to the stock amplifier. How do I know which one is positive wire for the tweeter and mid range? I was playing around with the MS-8 LCD screen tuning the EQ and it pops everytime I press up or down on the EQ band, I'm not sure if the positive wire that I tap is correct or not since the capacitor is tapped to the wire that's in the trunk where the stock amp location is at.

Sorry if I'm not clear on the description.

Originally Posted by BlackNsexy2010
There r some charts on what to use..it might even be linked further up in this thread.. I noticed most ppl bought either like 20 Or 22 so I went to radio shack and did the same .. So far so good
Old 12-15-2014 | 06:47 PM
Instructor

I ran all new speaker wire.. So honestly I'm not too sure man.. By the way ..feel free to call me justin ( poor decision making when picking a username) lol.. I can tell you with the speaker wire I use the battery test if I ever need to figure out polarity(pos neg) it's easy and u can google it

In terms of the cap..I placed mine closer to the tweeter..I noticed most had it this way and I forget if there was a science behind this

Since you r using the ms8 and quality speakers ..consider running new wire... The door will take some time but it's not terrible.. I used 14 but 12 should fit..just takes a little time..I did in the mid of last winter ..hopefully you are in a better climate