Replacing speakers in the tsx tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replacing speakers in the tsx tech.

Has anyone replaced the speakers in the TSX Tech with aftermarket units?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
under the speaker rattles thread one guy mentions putting in some infinity that alleviate the constant blown speaker problem
Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Principle
under the speaker rattles thread one guy mentions putting in some infinity that alleviate the constant blown speaker problem
Oh good. I was wondering if it was a faulty amp that was blowing the speakers.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX S***T speakers!!!

i have been in 6 times for my speakers i asked about the TSB about speakers blowing and they said i already have the upgraded ones its not always the same speaker but it always happens sometimes as often as a few days one day i got it back turned it up to 30 out of 40 for litterialy 5 sec i wanted to show my gf how easy they blow..... and what do u know blown speakers 2 of them im sick of going to Acura and im about to just trade in my TSX Tech for a ford or something any ideas on getting this problem fixed? any good aftermarket ones? should i take it in and let my stereo shop check the amp?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lusenuts
should i take it in and let my stereo shop check the amp?
I think you may be on to something. I'm wondering if it's the amp that is a problem.

My wife has a Premium with cheaper factory Foster speakers and she blares her music all the time without any problems.

Althought the Tech has more power overall, it actually has less power/speaker then the Premium TSX has.

I can't remember what the numbers are. I think the Premium has 340W over 7 speakers (48.5W per) as it has no rear door speakers and no centre channel. The Tech has 410W over 10 speakers (41W per).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem with mine. I took my car 6 or 7 times and I just got frustrated and decided to go aftermarket. I dropped 2 6.5 infinity reference in the front and 2 6.5 pioneer premiers in the back doors. And I want to flip the two 6x9 on the back. And its not to hard to do it your self all you need is a fillips screw driver and one of those door popper things and a 6 self drill screws. And I used the same connecter form the original speaker. (they are cheap they weigh like 1lb or less) for the base, I used the original base from the speaker.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lopez205tx
I had the same problem with mine. I took my car 6 or 7 times and I just got frustrated and decided to go aftermarket. I dropped 2 6.5 infinity reference in the front and 2 6.5 pioneer premiers in the back doors. And I want to flip the two 6x9 on the back. And its not to hard to do it your self all you need is a fillips screw driver and one of those door popper things and a 6 self drill screws. And I used the same connecter form the original speaker. (they are cheap they weigh like 1lb or less) for the base, I used the original base from the speaker.

I assume you have a Tech?

Do you have part numbers for the speakers?

Most places I go to wonder why there are even speakers in the rear doors since this is mainly for fill and really serves no purpose so back door speakers need not be as expensive. So I've been told.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Instructor

the stock ones?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Instructor

So your saying i should keep the factory stocks on the back?

I don’t remember the part numbers. 2 pioneer elite premiers 2 infinity kappa (ill check for the part numbers when I get mi car back and ill post some pick on how to remove the door panel, speakers installed, how I soldered the factory speaker plug. But I will get my car back in 28 days 2 hrs
Old 03-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

So your saying i should keep the factory stocks on the back?

I don’t remember the part numbers. 2 pioneer elite premiers 2 infinity kappa (ill check for the part numbers when I get mi car back and ill post some pick on how to remove the door panel, speakers installed, how I soldered the factory speaker plug. But I will get my car back in 28 days 2 hrs

i was wondering about which speakers you used. Not the stock ones.

28 days. Why 28 days?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by Luchin
i was wondering about which speakers you used. Not the stock ones.

28 days. Why 28 days?

Because I hit a curb and it caused $12,000 in damages ,,, 1 rim needs to be replaced, 1 rim needs to be fixed, blown passenger air bag, new dash, and some other things… I took it to A Acura Repair Shop and they estimated 28 days or so. Its only been 2 day without my b*t& (the only one I listen to,, :-D) and it fills like 20 all ready so don’t hit a curb guys it can cost you tons of money…
Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Instructor

so wile its in the shop and they have to replace stock rims i'm just going to tell them to put some 19 on it and check to see how much would it cost me to put in euro front bumper
Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Has anyone replaced the speakers in the TSX Tech with aftermarket units?
I am working on installing some components up front. I took the door apart to measure for the speaker clearance and to fabricate a spacer. Once I do this I will post some info on the spacers and door disassembly.

As far as blowing speakers, at the risk of putting the “whammy” on it, I have not. I blast my music most times.

I thought the initial problem with the tech speakers was physical, a breakdown of the cone, but it sounds like you guys are burning voice coils. It is possible for the amp to produce large power spikes for short durations or even oscillate at a high frequency and damage the voice coils. The only way the tell is to test the amp and the dealer would have no way to do this. I would suggest that after two or three blown speakers that you ask for a new amp.

If anybody with multiple blow outs lives on Long Island I would be willing to hook up my scope and check your amp. We could compare my ELS with your and see if there is a difference.

Jeff
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Instructor

hey how come you don't us the factory spacers it would be better.,,,, all you have to do is remove the speaker off of it and brake the brackets that are holding the magnet and your left with the spacer it self
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Pro

hey how come you don't us the factory spacers it would be better.,,,, all you have to do is remove the speaker off of it and brake the brackets that are holding the magnet and your left with the spacer it self
That’s not my style, I hate to break things, plus I lease and need to return the car to stock before I turn it in.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mercman
I am working on installing some components up front. I took the door apart to measure for the speaker clearance and to fabricate a spacer. Once I do this I will post some info on the spacers and door disassembly.

As far as blowing speakers, at the risk of putting the “whammy” on it, I have not. I blast my music most times.

I thought the initial problem with the tech speakers was physical, a breakdown of the cone, but it sounds like you guys are burning voice coils. It is possible for the amp to produce large power spikes for short durations or even oscillate at a high frequency and damage the voice coils. The only way the tell is to test the amp and the dealer would have no way to do this. I would suggest that after two or three blown speakers that you ask for a new amp.

If anybody with multiple blow outs lives on Long Island I would be willing to hook up my scope and check your amp. We could compare my ELS with your and see if there is a difference.

Jeff
Hmm it's interesting that you have a Tech and haven't blown any speakers??

Let's assume for now that the amp is creating power spikes and oscillating at high frequency, would this cause the voice coils in better quality speakers to burn out as well?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Because I hit a curb and it caused $12,000 in damages ,,, 1 rim needs to be replaced, 1 rim needs to be fixed, blown passenger air bag, new dash, and some other things… I took it to A Acura Repair Shop and they estimated 28 days or so. Its only been 2 day without my b*t& (the only one I listen to,, :-D) and it fills like 20 all ready so don’t hit a curb guys it can cost you tons of money…
You hit a curb?!?! Are you sure it wasn't a concrete divider? How big are the curbs where you live?????
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

ask for a new amp. Jeff
Any idea where the amp is on this car?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Pro

The amp is located on the passenger side of the trunk just over the wheel well.

Yes, a bad amp can damage even good speakers. The only way to check the amp is to connect test equipment and check the output; I would think that with enough blown speakers that this would have already been checked by the supplier.

I’m going to take a guess at the expense of upsetting some folks that most of the blown speakers are from blasting loud overly compressed pop music. This type of recording has a lot of concentrated energy. The ELS system was optimized for DVD-A playback and max undistorted amp output with a 0dB reference signal. Pop recordings often exceed 0dB hence the name “loud” music. The music I listen to was recorded long before the “loud” process existed.

The voice coils on the stock ELS speakers are small for sure.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

The amp is located on the passenger side of the trunk just over the wheel well.

Yes, a bad amp can damage even good speakers. The only way to check the amp is to connect test equipment and check the output; I would think that with enough blown speakers that this would have already been checked by the supplier.

I’m going to take a guess at the expense of upsetting some folks that most of the blown speakers are from blasting loud overly compressed pop music. This type of recording has a lot of concentrated energy. The ELS system was optimized for DVD-A playback and max undistorted amp output with a 0dB reference signal. Pop recordings often exceed 0dB hence the name “loud” music. The music I listen to was recorded long before the “loud” process existed.

The voice coils on the stock ELS speakers are small for sure.

Jeff
What do you mean by (The music I listen to was recorded long before the “loud” process existed).

loud overly compressed pop music? Do you not listen to MP3 and AAC formatted music in your car? Is there a way to make compressed music more component friendly? As in not so 'loud'?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Pro

“loud” is a recording studio practice that compresses the music in a way that makes it sound louder and thus standout when played on the radio. It a practice that goes back a few years but it has become a real war among the studios to see who‘s songs can “standout” the most. The end result is very low quality recordings. I don’t recall the artist but I remember in December reading about a release on CD and a release of the same music on the video game. The recording on the video game (same master as used in the CD mix) was so much better then the CD that fans of the artist requested that the video game mix be used to rerelease the CD.

I don’t use MP3 in the car but I do listen to XM, the music I like is from the 40’s 60’s and 70’s mostly so when it was made into digital there was no need to “compete with other studios for air time so “loud” mixing was not used.

Unfortunately, I don’t know how you would remove the “loud” processing from your source; it is just something you will have to live with. Some have suggested that your ear will become numb from the process and you will switch the music off.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Instructor

You hit a curb?!?! Are you sure it wasn't a concrete divider? How big are the curbs where you live?????
na it was a curb the car look like nothing happen except the rims and the airbag. i was going maybe 15mph or so when that happen,