Rear package self removal for sub replacement

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Rear package self removal for sub replacement

I’m at the point in my ELS project that I need to remove the rear deck sub, I have searched and cannot find any removal instructions. Anybody know how to do this?
I’m going to go with an 8 or 10inch in a sealed box and possible mount it under the shelf so it fires thru the factory opening. I might try to make a box that attaches to the factory location, who knows?
I have the ELS pre amp ready to go in but I can’t run the factory sub off my amp so it has to go...

Jeff
Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Go to acura OEM parts.com and search on back seat or rear shelf. Not really an instruction manual but it has exploded views showing where all the bolts and clips are.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
If you use the link below, you'll be able to subscribe to all Honda manuals for a nominal fee:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_...asp?Style=helm

I used it to download PDFs for removing my suspension components, and while I was there I believe I saw diagrams for removing interior trim.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
if you would, please do the community a big service by taking pics and doing a DIY guide to remove the rear shelf. Mr. O posted the exact link you will need to do it. IF you document and make a small guide to remove the rear shelf it would make it very easy for us to add in the civic LED brake light
Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by mercman
I’m at the point in my ELS project that I need to remove the rear deck sub, I have searched and cannot find any removal instructions. Anybody know how to do this?
I’m going to go with an 8 or 10inch in a sealed box and possible mount it under the shelf so it fires thru the factory opening. I might try to make a box that attaches to the factory location, who knows?
I have the ELS pre amp ready to go in but I can’t run the factory sub off my amp so it has to go...

Jeff
If you still need the info for rear parcel shelf removal, please pm me your email address and I will fire it off to you.
The following users liked this post:
true.alex93 (04-06-2016)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sent- Good Luck
Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
i just posted a thread on this xD
thanks for always having the relevant info on hand tech!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff
That's exactly what I've always wanted to do! I love the idea of a sealed enclosure from underneath the rear deck and have the sub in the stock location. I just thought I was crazy. Think it would work?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by White92
That's exactly what I've always wanted to do! I love the idea of a sealed enclosure from underneath the rear deck and have the sub in the stock location. I just thought I was crazy. Think it would work?

Well I just ordered my sub Boston G108 inch that only needs .3 cuft sealed enclosure which is the smallest I could find. The next smallest was the Polk MM840 at .35 but that added an inch to the depth. I will use a RF Punch 300.1 to drive it. It will take some work to get it mounted but I think I can do it; I have a good set of wood working tools. This will be my first enclosure since I usually stick the electronics, but now’s my chance to give the table saw a workout.

Tech, thanks again for the instructions!

Jeff
Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Pro

I did it, I built a small .3cuft sealed box that fits under the factory location. I will post some pics during the week; it’s been a long weekend. I can’t wait for my sub to arrive.
Still have to get the rear deck cover off to remove the factory sub.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Racer

I did it, I built a small .3cuft sealed box that fits under the factory location. I will post some pics during the week; it’s been a long weekend. I can’t wait for my sub to arrive.
Still have to get the rear deck cover off to remove the factory sub.

Jeff
I'm def. waiting to see this!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Pro

I'm def. waiting to see this!
Here are a few quick pictures of the sub box, remember this is a mockup to check the fit and not the final box. The goal is not to drill or cut the car.
Jeff
http://img140.imageshack.us/i/tsx2gsub3.jpg/
http://img845.imageshack.us/i/tysx2gsub2.jpg/
http://img215.imageshack.us/i/tsx2gsub1.jpg/
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Racer

That seems like it will turn out really well. Are you going to carpet it? Any straight into the trunk shots so we can see how low it hangs down?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Pro

This not a very good shot, it was late and the light was bad. Anyhow the height of the box is 7 inches and the back hangs down about an inch and a half to clear the torsion bar clip. The box wasn’t tucked fully up in this shoot again because I am working on the fit. Once I get the actual woofer and get the shelf off I can finish working out the mounting and get a better picture.
I will carpet or paint it to match the interior truck colors
Jeff
Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Racer

Does the box need to be directly under the sub or could the box be built wider so it doesn't hang down so low? Spread the space out..... Also, how much space is there under the factory grill cover in the rear shelf cover? I'm assuming the aftermarket sub sticks up quite a bit higher than the factory sub. When you get your sub in, can you take pics of the hole in the rear deck before the new sub goes in and after?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Pro

I looking at a few options but you need clearance inside the box for the woofer so you can only make it so flat. A shallow mount woofer would help here but I didn’t go with one. If the DVD player wasn’t in the way it could go a little wider but again limited by the woofer. I still need to figure out how to take the C pillar cover off so I can remove the shelf. My goal is to have good clean bass, keep enough room for my golf clubs and not drill any holes or cut any metal.

Also, I want the sub to fire up thru the vacated factory opening with the hopes of having more sound in the cabin and less in the trunk. This should also limit deck rattles

Jeff

Last edited by mercman; 04-05-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

^C Pillar removal pdf file sent. Good luck
Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait to see how this turns out. That's basically my dream set up. I'm really jealous at your DIY skills.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Pro

My woofer and amp came on Monday and I did a basic bench test of the setup and it sounded good. I decided not to try and mount the woofer in the factory spot since it would shake the deck like crazy and I don’t think I could get a good air tight seal between the cabinet and deck. The slightest air leak kills the low end. I decided on two boxes, one will hang down about 8 inches but will require no mods to the deck. The second will only hang down somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 inches but will require that the NAV DVD player be relocated. The final size will be determined by sound quality but I ‘m going to try and make it as thin as possible.
I still haven’t removed the deck because I have to get some clips from the dealer to reinstall the C-pillars (air bag covers). Also this might have to wait until after my daughter delivers, she is due on the 27th and the hospital is an hour away from my house so I can’t have the car in pieces when I get the call from her husband.
Jeff
Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Racer

I'm confused. You aren't putting it in the stock location, but you're still going to have a box that hangs down? Is the sub in the box then and you're just using the factory hole to vent into the cabin?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Pro

I'm confused. You aren't putting it in the stock location, but you're still going to have a box that hangs down? Is the sub in the box then and you're just using the factory hole to vent into the cabin?

Yes the sub will be in a sealed box with the woofer pointed up through the factory opening since I am going for tight and smooth rather than thump and bang like a home theater system. There is no reason why you couldn’t reuse the existing factory sub location and build a box under it but I ‘m sure you can get tighter bass and less deck rattle if you don’t. The box I’m going to test will only hang down 5.5 or 6 inches.
Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Asian Candy (12-31-2012)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey jeff did you finish the ELS prototype ?????
Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Pro

Yes, I’m working on a sub and enclosure so I can install the pre amp. I already have the front and rear speakers upgraded and once I get the sub finished I can install the amps and replace the ELS amp with the pre amp.
I will be using a JL 300-4 and a Punch 300-1.
jeff
Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Racer

So no rear doors? What about the center channel? Just summing it with the front doors?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

i have everything JL 300-4 for the doors and rockford fosgate punch 200-2 for the rear and JL 1000-1 for a 12W7 and kinetic battery and optima battery + Alumapro CAP i only need its the preamp because i was going to put a L6 audio control but after reading all your post that will not work so let me know if u wanted to sell it and how much???
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hi,
how can you connect the new amp to the els system ?I will change my amp and i have euro accord with premium audio.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Pro

Here is a picture of the proof of concept unit, the metal box is the brains and the plastic box with the RCA jacks is the preamp. I ran it with just the fronts and the sub box running of the JL. I have the power line running along the outside of the car connected with a large alligator clip (should have snapped a photo of that!). The first thing I noticed was the high frequency shrillness was gone and you cloud actually play the system at a low level and get more the just the highs. I will also need to make some changes in the SW to make it a little faster and fix a few startup shutdown clicks. This should not be a problem to correct. When I am happy with the changes I will build the real prototype which will include all the HW changes I have made. The end system will work like this:
In all modes but DVD-A , you will have front and rear stereo outputs and a sub output (no center)
In DVD-A mode the center signal will be summed with the front and you will have front, rear surround and SUB outputs. Or another option would be just to sum the center and rears to the front for a stereo front stage only system. I would like some input on this since it will be a different hardware setup and not an option.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a shot of the thinner sub box I that will require a relocate of the NAV DVD, it won’t hang down as far as the first one. I started to remove the package shelf but had to stop because my wife discovered that house had been damaged in last night’s storm.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will try again next weekend.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

hey jeff how its the progress on the pre-amp did u have the chance to work on it?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Pro

Yes, I did a full test today with front/rear and sub and it sounded real good. I had a small bug in the program that prevented the data ACK to the HU but I have it just about fixed. The ACK keeps the HU and preamp in sync to prevent delays when you adjust the controls. I will test it again tomorrow. I am confident in the design to move to a full prototype which I will start next week.
My final design will play allow for DVD-A with the center channel blended into the front. I think this is best because you are just not going to get good sound from the small center dash speaker.
The last thing is I only have the information for the 2009, if there are any changes for 2010-11 I will need to know about them, I understand the NAV was going to be Stereo for 2011.
Jeff
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Pro

Ok, I finished my sub install. Big thanks to 09TSXTech for the rear shelf and C-pillar removal instructions.
I pulled out the factory sub and install a small sealed box with an 8 inch. The box is mounted using existing holes so I did not have to drill or modify any sheet metal. I used rubber washers on both sides of the mount
The first this is disconnect the negative battery wire. This is not an option, you have to remove the C-Pillar and that is the side airbag cover. You have to hit it with a mallet to dislodge to cover and then replace a special trim clip.
I relocated the DVD drive for the NAV using a under dash DIN mount, I misjudged the slack in the harness so I cut the mounting board a little short.
So far so good, I have to adjust the gains but I have some good sound all-around and it’s nice to be able to hear the kick on the drums. I do not hear any rear shelf rattles so that’s a good thing. This has been a lot of work but I am happy with the sound. I have a second post about the preamp.
lots of pics so I will keep them small

Last edited by mercman; 05-31-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Great work and excellent writeup Jeff.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Racer

Does the sub need to be sealed against the bottom of the rear shelf? It looks like there is a gap. Are you losing sound there?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Pro

No not really, the sub enclosure is sealed. Mounting under the existing opening makes a huge difference in the output to the cabin compared to just sitting in the trunk. I was thinking of using some foam between the top of the sub box and the rear deck because the rear deck is not flat. I was thinking that the deck might rattle with the sub box couple to it. Surprisingly I have not detected any rattles and I gave it a good workout today. I think it has to do with the box adding mass and stiffness to the sub area of the deck.
Next I have to mount the amps and finish the PCB for the preamp.
Jeff
Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 PM
He was speeding, Rusty!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

I wish I had your time and talents...
Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
7th Gear

nice setup
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has any one found a 12v constant from the trunk that could power a sub amp?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear

Question amp to speaker box

Hello,
I need the box from the amp to the oem speakers for my Audio Project in my Honda Accord.

Please send me a link to buy it.

Thank you, Bernhard87 from Austria
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 AM
5th Gear

Ok, I finished my sub install. Big thanks to 09TSXTech for the rear shelf and C-pillar removal instructions.
I pulled out the factory sub and install a small sealed box with an 8 inch. The box is mounted using existing holes so I did not have to drill or modify any sheet metal. I used rubber washers on both sides of the mount
The first this is disconnect the negative battery wire. This is not an option, you have to remove the C-Pillar and that is the side airbag cover. You have to hit it with a mallet to dislodge to cover and then replace a special trim clip.
I relocated the DVD drive for the NAV using a under dash DIN mount, I misjudged the slack in the harness so I cut the mounting board a little short.
So far so good, I have to adjust the gains but I have some good sound all-around and it’s nice to be able to hear the kick on the drums. I do not hear any rear shelf rattles so that’s a good thing. This has been a lot of work but I am happy with the sound. I have a second post about the preamp.
lots of pics so I will keep them small

Hey mercman,
I really need your input i got the seats removed as well as the pillars, but am stuck on the rear shelf and cover for the speakers. I've been taking clips off in the trunk but still stuck on the rear shelf the 3rd picture in this posts. Any possibility you have any other info that can help me???

Thanks buddy
Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Pro

Sorry, just saw this, did you get the shelf removed or are you still stuck?

Jeff
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Looks good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear package self removal for sub replacement