Power loss overnight

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power loss overnight

Hi, I have a 2012 Acura TSX with technology package (4 cylinder automatic).

I have owned it for 6 years.

About two months ago I went out to my car and saw that the Navigation screen was flashing an error message that the car had lost power overnight. I live in Southern California and the climate is mild.

I had to enter my radio code to get everything back to normal.

About 3 weeks later, the car refused to start after I took it down to the beach to go for a job. I waited 5? minutes and it started right back up.

I have an after market amp and 12" subwoofer (that was installed by a stereo shop) and a remote start installed by Best Buy. The battery on the car is brand new.

The last time this issue happened was around December 15th.

The car hasn't had the same issue since then.

Could this be someone attempting to break into my car or?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:48 AM
4th Gear

I should note that the remote start and amp were installed over 2 years ago. I haven't done anything to the car eletronically/etc that could have caused this weird issue to happen.

Have any of you guys had this issue on your car or could direct me where to look? Could someone have attempted to "hack" my car or steal it via the OBDII port?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
The obvious culprits come to mind....
how is the battery? Showing 12.2-12.4 volts when the car is off?????
Are the terminals corroded!??? Are the wires properly connected ??

Look to see.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:31 PM
4th Gear

I have no way of testing the battery. I bought it brand new in August of this year. My buddy who's mechanically inclined help me install it.

I just popped my hood....the negative circle thingy that goes over the battery post has a bit of corrosion on it. But it's not touching the post.

The red cable (of which the stereo guys pull power from to power the amp....they did some wiring stuff) is kinda loose on the post. I was just at Costco and was easily able to remove the red cable from the post. I did it for 1/2 a second.

I got back to my apartment and the car refused to "arm" the alarm when I pushed the button on the remote. Popped the hood again and the red cable was still on the post....pushed it down a bit and pushed the remote button and the car armed the alarm.

My apartment community has massive speed bumps....could it have jiggled loose and that's why it lost power? Doesn't make sense tho as I was able to park the car in my carport the night before.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Yes, if the wires are not tight on the battery terminals/post. It can wiggle/jiggle itself off.

Clean off the corrosion with baking soda + water. Or Coca-cola can clean it up as well.
Then make sure it's tightened down
Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Shorting power wire will do weird things to your electrical system. Tighten it down and take it to your nearest Batteries Plus store so they can do a battery test free of charge. Just like any amp your electrical system may be going into "protect mode" to deal with the fluctuations in power due to the loose wire... Is your aftermarket subwoofer acting funny?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 PM
9th Gear

There are a few threads on this forum where the bluetooth hands free link module was acting funny and causing power loss overnight.

There is now a class action lawsuit https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-drain-948481/