New TSX owner - navi/phone questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TSX owner - navi/phone questions

Just bought 09 TSX tech. 3 questions-

Does the navi screen auto dim like the dash lights when the headlights are on? Mine doesn't, I have to push the button that cycles bright, dim, and off. Wonder if there is a setting for that to dim automatically.

Is there a quick way to access cell phone contacts? Only way I know is to go to info, choose cell phonebook, choose my phone, then enter search letters or see whole list. On my phone its one button called 'contacts' and its really fast. Gotta be a faster way to acces them in the car.

How much do you really use the voice commands? Or a better question is - are there voice commands that are faster or more convenient than using buttons? 2 limitations for me are that the exact way of giving commands are difficult to remember and its faster most of the time to press a few buttons on the dash. "Drivers temperature sixty eight", heck I could have pressed a button and done it faster. I love the "what time is it" command. The damn clock is always displayed on the info bar below the nav. Just look at it!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by poser
Just bought 09 TSX tech. 3 questions-

Does the navi screen auto dim like the dash lights when the headlights are on? Mine doesn't, I have to push the button that cycles bright, dim, and off. Wonder if there is a setting for that to dim automatically.

Is there a quick way to access cell phone contacts? Only way I know is to go to info, choose cell phonebook, choose my phone, then enter search letters or see whole list. On my phone its one button called 'contacts' and its really fast. Gotta be a faster way to acces them in the car.

How much do you really use the voice commands? Or a better question is - are there voice commands that are faster or more convenient than using buttons? 2 limitations for me are that the exact way of giving commands are difficult to remember and its faster most of the time to press a few buttons on the dash. "Drivers temperature sixty eight", heck I could have pressed a button and done it faster. I love the "what time is it" command. The damn clock is always displayed on the info bar below the nav. Just look at it!
1) Make sure you instrument dim knob is not on the highest setting (this is the little nob in the instrument cluster you turn to dim or brighten the instruments). If it's on the highest setting, it will leave the nav in day mode.

2) I have not been able to find a faster method. The phonebook integration is poor. Also, you will find that when your phone rings while in the car, it won't show you the contact that is calling, just an "instruction" menu on the nav screen. In the MID, it will show you just the phone number. Nowhere does it make an association to an actual contact name, etc. I have to look at my actual phone to see who is actually calling. This has bugged me the most through the 4 months i've had the car.

3) I only use it to dial numbers that I know off the top of my head. I never use it to command any other functions in the car.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Chicks Dig Me

i didnt even know there was an option to see your contacts thru the navi screen. Are you referring to the stored places for the navigation that has address and all that? or is there an alternate place to keep only cellphone contacts?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HonestAbe059
i didnt even know there was an option to see your contacts thru the navi screen. Are you referring to the stored places for the navigation that has address and all that? or is there an alternate place to keep only cellphone contacts?
Hit "Info" button and then you'll see "Cellular PHonebook" or something to that effect. You hve to first "import" your contacts into the system, however.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM
10th Gear

Good info! thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrigioX
Nowhere does it make an association to an actual contact name, etc. I have to look at my actual phone to see who is actually calling. This has bugged me the most through the 4 months i've had the car.

This is almost as annoying as the engine pinging...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:00 AM
GNA
1st Gear

is there any way where i can actually install navi and sensors on a base TSX?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

I've programmed several key phone numbers into my system based on my voice. All I have to say is "Call so and so" and it starts up right away. It's a pain in the ass at first, but it will work with multiple phones that you ay have sync'ed to your vehicle.