Why did you choose the TSX? What cars were considering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did you choose the TSX? What cars were considering?

The TSX was not on my list originally when I was shopping for cars. I was really interested in the Lexus HS 250H Hybrid. But after test driving it and being totally underwhelmed, I stopped by an Acura dealership on a whim to see what they offered. I was really impressed by the TSX and the more research I did, the more I liked it. I like the great combination of performance, luxury and gas mileage. After test driving a few other cars, I went with the TSX and I have no regrets.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TSX wasn't even on my list actually. I was at the Lexus dealer accross the street looking at the IS when afterwards I decided to just swing into the Acura dealer. The cars I was considering were:

- Lexus IS
- Mercedes C-Class
- BMW 3 Series
- Infiniti G37 Sedan
- Pontiac G8 (distant consideration)

But I ended up falling in love with the TSX after a test drive. It also seemed to have the most to offer in regards to standard equipment for the amount I was hoping to pay, which was under $35K.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a 2001 CL type-s that I bought march of 2000 and had it for like 10 years.. I loved everything about it except the transmission, well the 4 transmissions I went through.. I had the tranny redone $3000 thinking I will hold it for 2-3 more years since I just bought my first home BUT then the rear main seal started leaking and I promised my fiancee that if anything else went wrong I would get rid of it.. SO I did for $3000 and was shopping the 2009 G37X (cuz I work there in sales) or the 2010 TSX lease...
The 39 month G37X lease with 12K miles was $475 TOTAL with $2000 Total down and the 30 month lease with 15K miles on the TSX was $367 with $2000 total down... I KNOW the G37X is WORTH $100 more a month BUT the lease was 39 month (9 months longer) and 12 K miles / year (3K less miles a year)
And $100 month will pay for my cable TV/Internet and phone right now..
I never really had a mortgage or a wife (fiancee) so I would rather have a decent car I can afford then struggle with a really nice car , PLus my Feancee would not let me spring the extra $100 for the G37X!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was looking at the newer Fusion, mini, and the scion tc. But I found a 2008 1st gen at a really good price, but it was sold before I even was able to test drive it. The salesman showed me the new tsx and I took it for a test drive and loved everything about it.

I figured that I would get sick of the mini and the tc really quickly. But i really do wonder how it wouldve been if i had gotten the '10 fusion.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
hahaha my shortlist was actually a long list cause for the longest time I couldn't decide whether I wanted the utility of a SUV/crossover or the sportiness of a sport sedan.

I actually considered all the following and test drove each one before deciding on the TSX:

- Accord V6
- TL base
- RDX
- IS250
- A4/A3
- Toyota Venza
- Subaru Forester
- Nissan Rogue

Who knows, maybe I would have been the perfect candidate for the TSX wagon.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

I had a 2002 RSX and everytime I took it to the dealer they would give me a loaner TSX which I loved so it was always the car I wanted to get. But then I totally fell in love with the new A4 with it's LED DRL's and loads of torque. I drove one and was totally in love with it but just could get the dealer to come down to the price I wanted. I realized that the A4 would cost me almost seven grand more (Acura gave me a better trade in on the RSX) and would not even have navigation or memory seats. So in the end I took the practical approach and went with a 2010 TSX Tech.

I must say I totally love the car and tech gadgets especially voice command as well as the music system. Although I would have preferred to have the A4's engine and those LED DRL's (I still get wood everytime I see one with the DRL's) I think the TSX is so much more bang for the buck.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I considered the Altima 2.5SL, Sentra SE-R and Saab 9-3 but I ended up getting the Ack cuz it had the best combination of sport, comfort and features at the best price
Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
this is actaully my first car, so the time when i bought it, i was, embarassing to say, clueless about cars.
my parnets knew nothing either, and thus it was up to my uncle. he gave my parents a few choices:

1. accord [parents didnt like the new one, too big]
2. IS250 [mom didnt like the samll trunk, saying its not spacious enough for me when i move to college in a few months...wish i've gotten the IS250 instead though honestly...]
3. element [IMO super ugly]
4. civic [ i drive a civic to school, the lack of power just sucks. i never want to be in a civic again [maybe the si] ]
5. some sort of suv [i dont really like big cars]
6. tsx! fell inlove with the picture when i saw it, then started researching more of the tsx and decided to get it.

overall, i am happy with the tsx. but i would probably chose a IS250 if i had the chance again. or choose a different color tsx, pwp :p
Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Nissan Maxima, 3G TL, Accord Coupe V6 6MT, IS 250 AWD.

In the end the TSX had best bang for the buck and great gas mileage. The BMW and AUDI died when I did my research and discovered the lack of reliability. The TL-S was old shirt so I was unwilling to pay for an end of model car. The Maxima was nice but 'felt' a little big. The Accord Coupe was a coupe and I wanted something with four doors.

If I had to do it all again tomorrow would I buy the TSX? Yes. Why? Gas mileage. I enjoy driving way to much to worry about the cost of gas when I want to cruise aimlessly. And I enjoy the driving experience everytime I drive it.

My previous car was a 05 Accord Hybrid.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Accord V6 coupe, Infiniti G35/G37, EX35, Acura TL, Lexus IS

Old car was an 04 TSX...which I was happy with, but for several reasons it had to go.

The TL, I can't get over the grill, and it's too pricey for me.

The Accord interior was one step down from the TSX, and there wasn't much the dealer can bring it down from MSRP, and the interest rate wasn't as low as the TSX.

G35/G37, good lease rate, nice performance, but ultimately I didn't want to overspend, same as the Lexus IS...and the IS is a bit too small for me, and it's kinda a girl car IMHO (My wife thinks so also...and it's a car she would get)

the EX35, after I look at it in person, is definitely a chick car..so no go for me. I'm satisfied with the TSX
Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I considered a bunch of cars initially, but eventually narrowed it down to three: TSX, Mazdaspeed 3, and BMW 328i. I decided the Mazda was too small, and probably not comfortable enough for an urban daily driver, and then I chose the Acura over BMW for a few reasons: (1) lower price; (2) presumably superior reliability of the Acura; (3)concerns over the BMW's run-flat tires; (4) concerns about my wife driving a RWD car in winter; and (5) no need to wait four months from October 2009 until I could get a 2010 328i.

Am I glad I bought the TSX? Definitely. It's nearly perfect for my commuting/family hauling, and it's a blast to drive. I like the fuel economy, interior, engine, and wonderful shifter. And I'm really glad I saved the money.

But, would I prefer the BMW as a driver's car? Definitely. The RWD dynamics and better steering would make it a more engaging car to drive. I find the Acura's steering acceptable, but it's numb enough on center to fall short of pure sport sedan excellence. If Acura could dial in serious steering feel, I think the TSX would be perfect, especially for the price.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

this is my second TSX, and i didn't think i'd be back so soon (got rid of my '05 back in '06 i think), but here i am.

i cross-shopped some interesting vehicles...

2010 VW GTI - great driving experience, very practical. the engine was nice, but the throttle was a little twitchy and sometimes delayed (in my 20 minutes of driving it). the DSG transmission was awesome, and it remains the only automatic tranny that i could ever see myself driving. ever.

used G35 or G37 - decent power, decent interior, decent handling. overall, the interior (even on the new '09s) seemed kind of cheap, as in, they shared the same types of plastics that are in the Altima. also, the clutch on the 6MT was awful, and the whine of the engine really turned me off from that car. i know that some people like the exhaust note but to me it sounds like a cheap car with a cheap transmission.

06-08 TL - i like the car, but it did seem a bit boaty in its handling. the engine was nice, as was the interior.

2010 accord LX-S or EX (coupe, 4 cyl) - it's a pretty well-made car, but i didn't like the styling as much, and i certainly didn't like the drive as much. an EX was about 24k out the door, and i wanted something a little more upscale.

mazdaspeed 3 - a decent car, pretty fun to drive, but the torque steer really is bad. people seem to complain about all FWD cars having bad torque steer, but this bad boy was truly something. good handling, but the interior was basically on par with an altima or accord.

i never even considered an A3, A4, or 328i because of the cost. even if you could get an A3 for like 32k (which would still be over 4 grand more than what i paid for the TSX), the anticipated cost of ownership is higher too. you expect a bunch of little things to go wrong with audis, like rear taillights going out, a power window not working, etc. i swear, mercedes and volkswagen/audi make up 4 out of every 5 cars that i see with a taillight out.

in the end, i picked up another TSX because:

- i really think that this car is a great value. i picked up my 2010 new for 26k + TTL. 12 miles on the odometer. with all comparable options added on, the GTI exceeded it by a good margin.
- i figured it would be pretty reliable, other than possibly running into the rear brake problem
- 201 hp and 172 lb/ft, at least to me, seemed like an improvement over the 1st gen. no more having to rev the darn thing up to 7100 RPM all the time. and it's true; the 2nd gen feels torquier.
- fuel economy was going to be good. i can tell already that i'm going to average about 25mpg in mixed driving and over 30 on the highway.
- i love new cars...it's my achilles heel. i just love the idea that i'm the only person who has driven a car, and i am willing to pay a premium for that peace of mind.
- this is the perfect car for my commute, for road trips, and for having fun when i want. i know that road and track and motortrend drive the living hell out of their cars, but in reality, 99% of people will not drive their cars like that. the TSX, at 8/10ths of its limit, is very composed, still pretty quiet, and a good performer above 5,000 RPM. it has only been 7 days since i picked up my car, but i can say without a doubt that i am happiest when i hop in the car in the morning and saddest when i have to park and get out. i guess that's what happens when you daily drive an S2000 for 3 years.

Last edited by frescagod; 01-29-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: adding on
Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I considered a few cars, mainly the 328i and IS250. The IS250 was just too small in the back seat, and it cost much more to have the same options as the TSX. As for the 328i, I was disappointed with the manual transmission and of course it would cost a lot more than the TSX for the same features.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Racer

Gotta go with price on this one...its a sweet spot with the tech package you can't get on any other midsize entry lux sedan...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
2010 VW GTI - great driving experience, very practical. the engine was nice, but the throttle was a little twitchy and sometimes delayed (in my 20 minutes of driving it). the DSG transmission was awesome, and it remains the only automatic tranny that i could ever see myself driving. ever.

used G35 or G37 - decent power, decent interior, decent handling. overall, the interior (even on the new '09s) seemed kind of cheap, as in, they shared the same types of plastics that are in the Altima. also, the clutch on the 6MT was awful, and the whine of the engine really turned me off from that car. i know that some people like the exhaust note but to me it sounds like a cheap car with a cheap transmission.
I would have considered the GTI or Jetta equivalent, but after the untimely disintegration of our 1995 Jetta GLX VR6 I just couldn't go back to VW despite the apparent improvement in reliability. (In our case, the stiff aftermarket suspension may have contributed to the car's decline, but any modern car should be able to handle that.)

I drove a 2008 G35 out of curiosity, and completely agree with your view of the transmission and engine. Very coarse. In those respects, it felt more like a muscle car than a modern, upscale sport sedan. That has its appeal, but I wouldn't want it on a daily basis. And the non-folding back seat is a bummer. For those reasons I didn't consider the G, despite the improvements for the G37.

In my earlier post, I left out the WRX, which was a contender for awhile. I couldn't stand the cheap feeling, depressing looking dash and the horrible stereo that doesn't even match the audio in our Mazda 5 minivan. It's on the small side too. The engine, AWD, shifter, and seats are great, and you would not believe how cushy the ride is considering the strong performance. (And yest, I'm referring to the 2009/10 model, not the creampuff 2008 model that was a WRX in name only.) I had to drive it twice just to absorb how easy it would be to live with on a daily basis. But the interior, poor fuel economy, and suspect reliability relative to the TSX knocked it out of the running.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Racer

I love the bodystyle on the new A4, but I didn't want to spend that much, I also considered a slightly used (1-2 years) IS 250, 3 series, or a Mercedes C230. I didn't want to lease, and I wanted a reasonable payment, and to be able to go brand new (for less $$), and for everything you get, you can't beat the TSX. I love the car!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Reliability, Luxury, Perfromance

Needless to say I would say this is my first "grown-up car," as my perrgotive seemed different from most shopping for a TSX. Years back I made an impulse buy of a used 2006 EVO IX that came with a slew of problems. I purchased the TSX V6 because of Honda/Acura's reliability without sacrficing too much performance and plus the kids were getting bigger, I felt it was time to make the transition. Also to be one of the first to own a V6 version of the TSX was exciting.

Like the OP stated the test drive tended to "underwhelm" me too but the more research I did, the more I liked what the car offered. A nice combo of performance, luxury @ good mpg's. Base was nicely equipped.

Other cars I was considering and reasons I didn't buy:

09-10 Mitsubishi Evo X/ 09-10Lancer Ralliart/Used Evo 8 or 9 - The thrill of turbo & AWD but wasn't sold on the X styling. Always liked the IX more but didn't want to risk buying another used performance car.

2010 Subaru WRX sedan - Great bang for the buck performer at mid 20k. One of the problems I had with my used Evo was the licp kept popping off, I liked the fact that this came with a top-mount IC. However, I didn't know too many people with Subaru's long-term, hence was unsure of reliability.

09-10 Toyota Camry SE V6 - Probably very reliable but felt too much like an "old man's" car.

09-10 Accord V6 EX - Wife owns a 7th gen LX, but we didn't like this year style.

Toyota Venza - Not much of an SUV person but this one looked nice, however no 3rd row seat option was a turnoff.

09-10 TL - Little too big for the garage. Couldn't get past the grill. TSX's grill isn't pretty either but looks better than TL's grill imo. At worse TSX's grill looks ok, TL's grill is just flatout ugly.

Lexus IS250/350 - Design seems a little bland. My dad owns a 250 didn't want to copy him. lol.

Other considerations in the picture but didn't receive strong considerations: Mazdaspeed 3, Older Mazdaspeed 6, Honda Civic SI sedan, Volvo C30.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

+1 on the Camry being an "old mans car" :p
Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I never really wanted to get the 09, since I was coming from an 05 TSX. It was sorta part of the list

Mercedes C-Class (C350) -didn't really try it out.
BMW 3 series (335i) -loved it. but everyone in my city has one.
Lexus IS350/Lexus IS250 (manual) -didn't have the color or combination i wanted. loved the styling. would still go for a 350
Subaru WRX (hatchback)-almost the same price as what i got the TSX for. Dealer didn't want to lower it. and so deals on financing
Honda Civic Si-like it but didn't really pay attention to it
Infiniti G37/G35 -G37 weren't in at all. Found a 08 G35 Sedan 6spd and all, been on the lot for a year and dealer wouldn't budge on price.
Audi A4 2.0T-loved it but didn't do enough research
Old 01-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Pro

honda accord 2009 = 20% - 25% made in japan

acura tsx 2009 = 100% made in japan
Old 01-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It seems that the price is the strongest argument here...

I was considering:

BMW 330iA, MB C-350 AT, Lexus IS250 AT:
all great cars but in top-specs 3x more expensive that TSX I got and they are smaller. +you can see hundreds of these on roads.

I wanted a new car, and it was impossible to get these for the TSX price. In Europe, 5 years old bmw3 costs the same as a new TSX.

TSX is unbeatable in the price/value factor when I got 25% discount on my TSX.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I wasn't shopping for a car, but needed parts for...something.

So I was at the Acura dealer and saw the rear 3/4 view of the TSX & said;

Me: "WTH is that?"

Dude: "The new TSX sir."

Me: "Wow, the TSX doesn't have to sit at the kids table anymore."
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Originally Posted by heavyduty
i wasn't shopping for a car, but needed parts for...something.

So i was at the acura dealer and saw the rear 3/4 view of the tsx & said;

me: "wth is that?"

dude: "the new tsx sir."

me: "wow, the tsx doesn't have to sit at the kids table anymore."
lol!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty

nyaaah !! LOL !!!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty

awesome story!! yea the new tsx just demands attention..no other car on the road like it especially with all the is250's 3series and A4's.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I would have considered the GTI or Jetta equivalent, but after the untimely disintegration of our 1995 Jetta GLX VR6 I just couldn't go back to VW despite the apparent improvement in reliability. (In our case, the stiff aftermarket suspension may have contributed to the car's decline, but any modern car should be able to handle that.)

I drove a 2008 G35 out of curiosity, and completely agree with your view of the transmission and engine. Very coarse. In those respects, it felt more like a muscle car than a modern, upscale sport sedan. That has its appeal, but I wouldn't want it on a daily basis. And the non-folding back seat is a bummer. For those reasons I didn't consider the G, despite the improvements for the G37.

In my earlier post, I left out the WRX, which was a contender for awhile. I couldn't stand the cheap feeling, depressing looking dash and the horrible stereo that doesn't even match the audio in our Mazda 5 minivan. It's on the small side too. The engine, AWD, shifter, and seats are great, and you would not believe how cushy the ride is considering the strong performance. (And yest, I'm referring to the 2009/10 model, not the creampuff 2008 model that was a WRX in name only.) I had to drive it twice just to absorb how easy it would be to live with on a daily basis. But the interior, poor fuel economy, and suspect reliability relative to the TSX knocked it out of the running.
reliability and possible over-engineering (causing more problems) was probably the only reason i didn't go with the GTI. i think the MKVI looks much better (and more masculine) than the MKV, but if you add all the options in (minus nav), it ends up in the upper 20 thousands. for a golf. no thanks. i've been trolling the mkvi forums for awhile and there are some threads with all of the problems people have been having with their 2010s, and even though they are small (rear windshield fluid nozzle leaking for days after using it once, driver's side door misaligned, causing wind rush at highway speed, water not draining properly from the moonroof area, causing MASSIVE condensation/water dripping on the inside of the windscreen, and more), those are the types of problems that i don't want to deal with when i buy a brand spankin' new car, even if it's under warranty.

i dunno, most other cars in the mid-upper $20k range do not have as nice of an interior as the TSX...i'm glad i came back to you guys. it's only been like 10 days but the new TSX makes my drives so much more enjoyable and i look forward to getting in all the time.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
6th Gear

It had been 10 years since I bought my last car, a 2000 Toyota Celica. Needless to say it was time for a "grown up" car. I was in love with the new A4 with its LED DRL's. Without navi and a slew of other features the dealer was unwilling to go under $38k. Annoyed with the pretentious sales person I left and spotted an Acura dealership on the way home. I said "what the heck" and went in. The TSX jumped out at me and I was just in awe. I left with a brochure and went on to look at:
2010 Maxima
2010 Altima 3.5 V6
2010 IS250
2007 G35 coupe
2010 VW CC 2.0 turbo
The Nissans just felt cheap on the inside, the G35 was not quite in the "grown up" theme I was going for, IS250 was a little snug, and the CC was not as stylish interior wise as the TSX.
Bottom line though none of these cars had the bang for your buck like the TSX did. After being so in love with the Audi A4, once I drove the TSX, the A4 just lost its appeal.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diznutz
It had been 10 years since I bought my last car, a 2000 Toyota Celica. Needless to say it was time for a "grown up" car. I was in love with the new A4 with its LED DRL's. Without navi and a slew of other features the dealer was unwilling to go under $38k. Annoyed with the pretentious sales person I left and spotted an Acura dealership on the way home. I said "what the heck" and went in. The TSX jumped out at me and I was just in awe. I left with a brochure and went on to look at:
2010 Maxima
2010 Altima 3.5 V6
2010 IS250
2007 G35 coupe
2010 VW CC 2.0 turbo
The Nissans just felt cheap on the inside, the G35 was not quite in the "grown up" theme I was going for, IS250 was a little snug, and the CC was not as stylish interior wise as the TSX.
Bottom line though none of these cars had the bang for your buck like the TSX did. After being so in love with the Audi A4, once I drove the TSX, the A4 just lost its appeal.

I liked the Maxima a lot and still do but it was like 40k with all the options and I believe it you can't afford all the options you can't afford that car. Yes it also felt a little cheap inside, I also love the style of the A4 but I would never own an other VW/Audi product after one going back on the Lemon Law. I love the TSX but it is a little under powered in this price range and I can do without the pining.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Gotta admit, the new Max exterior is like...uh..uh.uh..hmmmmppphhhh ohhhh....ok I'm done, whew, now go make me a sandwich.

The afterglow was short lived when I sat inside.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
It was the best bang for the buck at the time.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
It was the best bang for the buck at the time.
same here.

will not be buying another Acura in future, though.