When does the 2012 TSX come out? Any pictures? Should I wait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Froglet
It pains me to see that people keep telling me the BMWs are just rubbish. Sigh.. I've never driven one, only admired them. I had always thought German design/quality to be better.

I prefer reliability amongst them all. The Acura seems to fit this description the best.

I myself enjoy working and doing my maintenance, fluid change, brakes, etc. So if these are easier to work with, even better !

I'm aiming for the 4 cylinder.
Bmws are not rubbish. They are great performance and handling vehicles. But to get that you push things to the limit, engineer things in ways that push performance over dependability and reliability.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local dealer just told me that the 2012s will come out in October and that there will be no change to the car at all.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or wait to see what will come out next year. There is a dilemma with the TSX. they arent sure if they will continue production after 2012. They are talking about a new 2 door, as well as a hybrid. And getting rid of the RL, and going back to the Legend.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by leftyskikass555
Or wait to see what will come out next year. There is a dilemma with the TSX. they arent sure if they will continue production after 2012. They are talking about a new 2 door, as well as a hybrid. And getting rid of the RL, and going back to the Legend.
Nooooo! I still havent put my hands on a TSX yet. I was waiting for the 2012 yr. Still want my black/black 6spd tech.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bobbrown
My local dealer just told me that the 2012s will come out in October and that there will be no change to the car at all.

what about color? i might wait it out.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 119 Posts
I dont know if you guys get car and driver, but that little drawing they did of what could be the integra/rsx was beautiful
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose Muscles
I don't know why I picked those words, but they stuck out.

I don't trust CR or JD-PA. I wouldn't be surprised if they take payments under the table to "rate" something. I would much rather take someones word for it who owns the thing I'm researching.

Sure people come here with their problems, that why the internet is great, couple that with the fact that bad news always flies faster than good news and then you will see why all the bad threads stick out over someone praising their car.

My tsx has been phenomenal, nothing short of absolutely amazing. I can say that, even after riding around for the past 3-4 months with NO AC in South Carolina (its 101 today).

Even if Lincoln is "better" the car is still compared to a TSX. Not to mention the fully loaded TSX is the same as the base cost of the MKZ.

Just my opinion though, to each his own. I wouldn't call it propaganda by any measure.

Fair enough. I won't comment on what you state is opinion, but I will comment on your cost comparison, which is a factual argument. You have to compare the base V6 TSX to the base MKZ which only comes with a V6. Once you do that, the TSX V6 is no bargain. TSX V6 costs more in base form, while the base MKZ has more standard features: everything base TSX V6 has plus Sync, real wood interior, reverse sensors, LED tailights, and cooled as well as heated seats.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
I am not a huge fan of Consumer Reports but if you are the reliabilty of the CC is equal to that of the TSX and is one of CR's recommended models along with the TSX.
I admire Consumer Reports, which has become more enthusiast-oriented in their evaluations over time. I generally trust their reliability ratings, but you have to look closely to get the true picture, because good ratings for recent years don't necessarily indicate good reliability over the long haul.

For example, if the CC and TSX have similar ratings for, say the past two model years, that might mean nothing three years from now, when the VW might experience more problems as it ages. The manufacturer's track record really matters. Look back at how five year old Volkswagens stack up against five year old Hondas, and I bet Honda comes out on top by a wide margin.

I got somewhat burned by this when I trusted CR's "recommended" rating for a 2001 Saab 9-5. Mine ended up having several problems, and, lo and behold, five years later, those showed up in CR's statistics. But they didn't hit until 50k-55k miles, when most cars are three to five years old, so they weren't caught when CR's reliability ratings only included the few model years before 2001.

This reminds me of a conversation with a friend after we bought a 1995 Jetta GLX VR6. I said the Jetta had been great. He had an older VW, and said, "Yeah, wait until it passes 50 thousand miles." He was exactly right. All kinds of stuff went wrong, and by about 90k, the entire unibody flexed over some bumps, breaking the seal on the driver's window. I loved that car in many respects, but would have a lot of trouble going with VW again. At least the Saab got on track after the most severe problems, and gave me virtually no trouble from 55k all the way to about 135k, at which point it was still rock solid.

Last edited by Nedmundo; 06-27-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
A few problems with your statement:

First, the TSX comes standard with real leather. The BMW 3 series comes standard with vinyl - leather is extra. Granted, the TSX interior could use some real wood or aluminum as offered in the BMW (at extra cost).

Second, you contradict yourself. First you say yor 3 series has been just as reliable. Then you admit it has needed some extra maintenance. Which is it? The fact that it hasn't broken down in the middle of the road is not exactly a glowing endorsement. Why do you have to find an independent repair garage to save money? Oh that's right - because BMW repairs cost a fortune. If you have to cut corners to afford maintaining it, maybe you should take that as a hint.

Lastly, a TSX V6 costs $35k in base form and $38k with tech. You can indeed get a German car or Lexus for that - but it isn't going to have 280 hp or have much equipment. Both the IS and 328 stripper models start $1k less at $34k. And when I say stripper, I mean it. At that base price your missing a lot of features in those cars that come standard in a TSX such as power/heated seats, ipod connectivity, bluetooth, and xenon headlights. A loaded 204 hp Lexus IS approaches $45k and so does a loaded 230hp BMW 328. Both would get crushed on a dragstrip by a TSX V6 which comes fully loaded for thousands less.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.
First off, apparently you never owned a BMW. I guess your wallet just isn't as big as others.

Extra maintenance I mean is in the forms of not having to be able to reuse/resurface brake rotors, different front and rear tire size with the sport package, summer tires that don't last as long, rear differential fluid, auto trans fluid/filter change, etc.,

Why I use a independent shop? Maybe my IQ is higher than someones to recognize that the it's the mechanic and not the shop's name that makes a difference. When you have 3 guys running a shop with over 50+ years of combine experience charging you a competitive rate and giving you the same end result, why not use them?

Third, the TSX leather is the same as the Honda Accord (non-Europe Accord). Yes, it's GREAT LEATHER quality your getting . Your have to be a fool to not feel and see the difference between the TSX and BMW leather option.

The TSX is a great value but it's cheaper for a reason, where's the RWD? 50/50 weight distrubtion? Glad you like torque steer in the FWD and V6.

Your think the TSX V6 is faster than a BMW328i? You think it's going to CRUSHED the 328i? The only thing that is going to get crush is your ego on the drag strip with the TSX V6.

Keep DREAMING:

1/4 time TSX V6: 14.7 secs:
http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tsx/201...est-specs.html

1/4 time BMW 328i: 14.6 secs:
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/...est-specs.html

So yeah, go back and keep barking up the tree with no bite.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey513
First off, apparently you never owned a BMW. I guess your wallet just isn't as big as others.

Extra maintenance I mean is in the forms of not having to be able to reuse/resurface brake rotors, different front and rear tire size with the sport package, summer tires that don't last as long, rear differential fluid, auto trans fluid/filter change, etc.,

Why I use a independent shop? Maybe my IQ is higher than someones to recognize that the it's the mechanic and not the shop's name that makes a difference. When you have 3 guys running a shop with over 50+ years of combine experience charging you a competitive rate and giving you the same end result, why not use them?

Third, the TSX leather is the same as the Honda Accord (non-Europe Accord). Yes, it's GREAT LEATHER quality your getting . Your have to be a fool to not feel and see the difference between the TSX and BMW leather option.

The TSX is a great value but it's cheaper for a reason, where's the RWD? 50/50 weight distrubtion? Glad you like torque steer in the FWD and V6.

Your think the TSX V6 is faster than a BMW328i? You think it's going to CRUSHED the 328i? The only thing that is going to get crush is your ego on the drag strip with the TSX V6.

Keep DREAMING:

Nope - never owned a BMW. Not because I can't afford one, but rather because I have no need to spend $40k on a car when I only drive 8k miles a year. That said, I drove my friend's 328 on a two hour trip, so I'm pretty familiar with them.

I'm not sure why you're getting your panties in such a bunch. I'm not arguing the TSX is a better car than the 328. It's not. But bang for the buck is not its strong suit and as you already acknowledged, it cannot match Honda reliability. I was merely refuting your prior erroneous statements:

You stated that the TSX had fake leather. Clearly that's not true. If you want to argue the BMW has better leather, that's fine. But don't wrongly state the TSX leather is fake as part of the debate.

You state the TSX approaches $40k, which you can get a German/Lexus car for. The loaded TSX V6 does approach that price (it starts at $35k), but you are not going to get an equivalently equipped German car or Lexus with similar power for that price. You have to compare apples to apples.

Lastly, most everyone else but Edmunds is getting from 0-60 mph between 5.9-6.0 and a 14.4-14.5 quarter mile out of the TSX V6. The 328 just isn't that quick:

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Acura-0-60-mph-Times.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...nce_specs.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/im...-acura-tsx-v-6

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...rive-1340.html
Old 06-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
german cars are great for leasing, japanese cars are great for owning imo.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey513

Keep DREAMING:

Your 328 is equiped with 6 speed Manual transmission. Manual transmission alone add half a second timings and second 328 is equiped with sport package . Car is simply lower than TSX. add another 1 second to drag times.
Bring 328 with Auto with All season 18inch wheels not 17inch without sport package and see the end result.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Racer

I'm amazed Acura won't be offering a 6 speed auto in 2012. They are years behind in offering this option.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 AM
not superchaged

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Froglet
Hello,

I posted on , but a member there told me this website had more activity, so I plan on posting here. I am in the midst of looking for another 'sedan' & am considering the TSX. I have owned various imports, Nissans, Toyotas, & Hondas. My favorite make would still be Honda, particularly the Accord, as I've owned the 4th, 5th, and 7th Gens before. To my demise, the new Accord has a terrible rear end that is simply an eye sore I cannot tolerate. As the fam needs a new car, I have narrowed down to the following.
  • IS350
  • BMW 3 Series
  • ACURA TSX
  • Honda Accord (Wait for the re-design)
My primary focus is 'reliability' and 'dependability'. IIRC, the ACURA TSXs are being build/assembled in Japan? From my research, I've been told and can see that BMW's break down over time, especially after the manufacture's warranty.

I have not driven the BMW 3 series, nor the TSX yet, but have tried the IS350. It is rather cramped in the back, but it is smoothe and heavy. I am old fashioned and don't really care for all the quirks like Paddle Shifter, or Navigation Systems, or excessive electronics. I would prefer a dip stick as opposed to a computer telling me what's wrong and blinking lights to communictate a problem. I suppose that is why the 3 series caught my attention. It's just simple, and suitable for me. Yeah, I'm 'old' fashioned.

To cut to the chase, how do you folks here feel about Acura, the TSX? Any word on the 2012 model? Will there be a big redesign? I am on the fence as I have to make a decision soon as we are in need.

The TSX leaves us w/ more cash, and seems to be able to get the job done, but I care more about reliability than anything else.

Thanks
-Froglet
It also depends on how long you plan to own the car. Here in California BMW offers free scheduled maintenance for 5 years and the warranty will cover the other stuff. Whatever problem you with the car would be covered. The bigger issue is what happens after the warranty expires.

I found myself in a very similar situation when I purchased my car. The BMW drove like a dream but knowing I will own the car for 7-8 years I cannot imagine going without a warranty for 2 yrs. Any repair needed I would have to sell a kidney for. There is also the fact that when I priced a BMW with all the options I wanted it ended up to be 45K. I paid 31K out of the door for my 4cyl with tech and can't be happier.

I would say go with the TSX and use that money you save on something else. You can take a couple of vacations over the years, buy a ton of stuff, heck you can even buy a supercharger and make your TSX faster if you want...