We got hit on Long Island with about 24" of snow today and the TSX was great in it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009 | 07:28 PM
Racer

We got hit on Long Island with about 24" of snow today and the TSX was great in it.

We got hit on Long Island with about 24" of snow today and the TSX was great in it. My wife with the SH AWD had more issues then I did but she did not get stuck, it's all about the driver.
Old 12-20-2009 | 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

My 1G with snow tires does pretty well, too.
Old 12-21-2009 | 01:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
My 1G with snow tires does pretty well, too.

Next year I will spring for a set.
Old 12-21-2009 | 03:35 AM
Burning Brakes

I have to completely disagree. I couldnt even get up the driveway with about 2 inches of snow on stock tires. Had an altima and Maxima before and they made it up the driveway just fine with the same amount of snow on stock tires.
Old 12-21-2009 | 08:35 AM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
My TSX performed great in the snow, but it all depends on the tires, The stock tire are OK for snow. I had Fusion ZRI summer tires on my CL and I could not move so I bought Hri's (all season fusions) and put them on front and problem solved.. My fiancee has a 06 TL and her TIRES suck in in the snow, I have to order her 2 winter tires for the fronts today or tommorrow.
Old 12-21-2009 | 10:50 AM
Advanced

Were you running stock tires? This is my 2nd winter with TSX and it's so-so in the snow. I miss my AWD, and seriously considering trading now..

Most FWD cars are decent, but what I notice is that the wheel well clearance is small and snow/ice get trapped there, and affects the traction big-time.

We got 12" in Boston - and when I moved the TSX out to another spot to get mines shovelled out, the VSA light was on constantly as I struggled to get any traction..

For those with snow tires, do you have a set of 4 or just the fronts?
Old 12-21-2009 | 12:22 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Yeah my car is a month old and I drove 50 miles 3 saterdays ago when it was snowing really bad from Ramsey NJ to new brunswick in the blizzard conditions , and car performed GREAT, and yesterday I had to take her out at 7AM before the roads where plowed and again the car performed great iin the snow the VSA did not kick on nearly as much as my girls TL did later in the day when I drove her car. I think this cars performs really good in the snow.
Old 12-21-2009 | 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

We had 2" of snow last week and I had no problem with the stock tyres considering it's my second winter with them. Our snow in the West Coast tends to be wet and heavy, and it can produce a different kind of challenges as it freeze overnight and then fresh snow came down on top the next day. I would spring for some winter tyres once these Michelins wears out.

I also put on some Pirelli's winter tyres (4 x W190 Snowsport) on the family minivan and it really glued to the road and no problem at all on snow.
Old 12-21-2009 | 02:46 PM
Instructor

We had a few inches of snow fall onto already icy roads within a couple of hours today. I had to make a 5 mile trip which took almost two hours. The UK has to be the world's worst when it comes to being un-prepared for adverse weather conditions, but I was really impressed at how well this car managed it.

The diesel was a huge advantage as I simply left it in second gear all the time and only felt wheelspin once or twice when trying to climb slopes, etc.

The stock Yoko db tyres were impressive, too. The car is so well insulated and controllable that I never once felt anything other than completely safe.
Old 12-21-2009 | 02:51 PM
Racer

The tsx was great in the snow! I never got stuck and got through 6 inches easily. very pleased!
Old 12-21-2009 | 07:18 PM
Racer

I think overall this car is great in snow. Of course ones perception is gonna depend on the tires you have for sure. For a front wheel drive car with the stock tires and good tread, I think this car is great. I have a manual and I have no problems driving in the snow or ice. I've had cars that drove badly in snow, but new tires always fixed that no matter what brand it was. Driver technique is always a factor too. Sliding off the road is an equal opportunity event around here, AWD or not! haha
Old 12-21-2009 | 07:50 PM
Instructor

We got hit in VA with snow. TSX needs new tires but did just fine.
Old 12-22-2009 | 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by samwlee
Were you running stock tires? This is my 2nd winter with TSX and it's so-so in the snow. I miss my AWD, and seriously considering trading now..

Most FWD cars are decent, but what I notice is that the wheel well clearance is small and snow/ice get trapped there, and affects the traction big-time.

We got 12" in Boston - and when I moved the TSX out to another spot to get mines shovelled out, the VSA light was on constantly as I struggled to get any traction..

For those with snow tires, do you have a set of 4 or just the fronts?
All 4. 2 aren't going to do much and is not recommended.
Old 12-22-2009 | 09:06 PM
Intermediate

wanna start a 2nd generation tsx car club on LI?
Old 12-23-2009 | 05:59 AM
it's a car-drive it

I seem to do good without having snow tires-it is the black ice that is horrible. I am here in Toms River, NJ where they received almost 22 inches of snow. The past few days,with the lousy plowing that is done in my mom's development I had no problems-just drove slow

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 12-23-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-23-2009 | 06:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I seem to do good without having snow tires-it is the black ice that is horrible
Here in the UK where SUVs are a status indicator, their owners are convinced that 4WD gives them better traction on sheet ice. So they drive like crazy people

Only issue I have with this model Accord (TSX) is that the electric steering doesn't really give accurate feedback on ice. It feels a little nervous around the straight-ahead position, even on dry roads.

Last edited by SilverCU3; 12-23-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-23-2009 | 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by C4n3s
wanna start a 2nd generation tsx car club on LI?
Please visit your area in the Regions forum.
Old 12-23-2009 | 08:18 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by SilverCU3
Here in the UK where SUVs are a status indicator, their owners are convinced that 4WD gives them better traction on sheet ice. So they drive like crazy people

Only issue I have with this model Accord (TSX) is that the electric steering doesn't really give accurate feedback on ice. It feels a little nervous around the straight-ahead position, even on dry roads.
Yeah here in the states also people with 4wd thing they have 4w steering and 4wheel brakes.. Funny thing is that in a snowstorm the big SUV's are the first ones u see on the side of the road in a ditch or in a accedent!
Old 12-23-2009 | 06:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by StonedCL
Yeah here in the states also people with 4wd thing they have 4w steering and 4wheel brakes.. Funny thing is that in a snowstorm the big SUV's are the first ones u see on the side of the road in a ditch or in a accedent!

They have a false sense of security and are are sliding more then anyone with all that weight.
Old 12-23-2009 | 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

lolol, 22" of snow 19" rj Legends were still on, roads ploud but probably still about 3 or 4 " of snow, and my street alone still had 4 or 5 inches and my car is slammed.. the car moved fine in the snow, didn't get stuck except when initially getting out of my parking spot and stopping on the hill but i just let it roll backwards and slowly let off the clutch, and let the wheels catch, then gave it the slightest amount of gas, and my front bumper was a plow untill i got out of my neighborhood, but I drove by several people stuck trying to get there bigger better cars off the street.. I entirely agree its the driver..

Where was I going? to get my stock wheels put back on the car! haha, which then I also raised the car a good 12 or 15 threads on the coilovers, and even less issues.
Old 12-24-2009 | 06:48 PM
Racer

The TSX seems so-so, as of right now. Last week in Boston we nabbed a foot or so. Starting in first from stop signs/red lights was crazy...basically no traction. Threw it into second and voila...the car gets off the line...but VSA basically makes it impossible to get anywhere fast. It was past the point of saving my ass and became a nuisance...abruptly cutting off power/braking on certain wheels. Even while taking normal corners 10+ mph less than I normally would with gradual throttle/steering inputs, there was the VSA light flashing it's orange ass in my ass. I ended up turning it off completely for the rest of the day and soldiered on home...sideways. Honestly, I felt more safe with VSA completely off with only me controlling the car rather than the car abruptly applying the brakes to certain wheels.

Last edited by TSteezyX; 12-24-2009 at 06:51 PM.