V6 Handling Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
V6 Handling Opinions needed

Ok, I'm ready to buy a new vehicle and the TSX V6 is one of the options. My main concern w/ it is that scary weight distribution.
Just an FYI that I will NOT be modding this car in any way, shape or form so please don't bring that up. How it comes off the lot is how it will stay. So, I need some honest impressions/opinions on how this car handles on the up/down and twisty roads. Does it feel composed or does it get pretty sloppy when pushed hard? Does it understeer horribly? Does it hit the bumpstops in an emergency brake?
Honest opinions on how a stock, V6 handles would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
it's a moderate to high hp FWD vehicle.
the car is made to understeer, naturally.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
As justnspace said it does understeer when really pushed but I don't find the understeer to be a problem. A good set of high-performance tires helps.

The steering feels a little heavy at first but it's quick and responsive. It's a great highway car, loves sweepers and tight turns. When pushed on wash-board back roads though it gets a little ass-happy and tends to hop.

The FWD and traction control manage the torque well, even while turning off the line the wheel only dances a little in your hands.

For the most part the engine is smooth and sounds sweet, especially approaching red-line. But it does vibrate and rumble a little down around 1500 rpm, especially following a down shift under low power. I think that's the primary reason for the active noise cancellation.

Brakes are decent, stopping distance is not that great but the feel is linear and predictable. But when the OEMs are gone I'll be upgrading pads and rotors.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with above, though I don't push redline too often

The vibration at low rpm gets annoying, working on getting it fixed.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tvac
As justnspace said it does understeer when really pushed but I don't find the understeer to be a problem. A good set of high-performance tires helps.

The steering feels a little heavy at first but it's quick and responsive. It's a great highway car, loves sweepers and tight turns. When pushed on wash-board back roads though it gets a little ass-happy and tends to hop.

The FWD and traction control manage the torque well, even while turning off the line the wheel only dances a little in your hands.

For the most part the engine is smooth and sounds sweet, especially approaching red-line. But it does vibrate and rumble a little down around 1500 rpm, especially following a down shift under low power. I think that's the primary reason for the active noise cancellation.

Brakes are decent, stopping distance is not that great but the feel is linear and predictable. But when the OEMs are gone I'll be upgrading pads and rotors.

Hope this helps, good luck.
I understand that understeer is inherent to FWD, but I was just concerned that a car that's this heavy and w/ this much weight over the front end would be even worse or unbearable. I've only driven FWD so I know what's it like, but the cars I've had (EM1 and DC5) are MUCH lighter and also distributed a tad better. I know they bumped the shock and/or spring rates up for the V6, but it's still factory-safe so........
While I'm done with the tuning phase, I still like to do some spirited driving and some of my commute is on very up/down and twisty roads. So, I don't want to go to a car that's going to feel like an old Caddy that bobs and weaves me into a ditch. I know it's a different car and wouldn't expect it to handle like my DC5, but I also don't want to start having to drive like a grandma.
I've been a Honda Guy my whole life, but the new K24 ILX is already a major disappointment to me so I'm now between the this and the IS350. Performance wise, the IS takes it but I don't know if I can stomach about 47K for a car. I've talked to an Acura dealership and can walk out the door for $39, but that weight distr. really worries me.

Thank you for your time and feedback, it is appreciated.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
In test driving for a new car, I found that I preferred the driving dynamics of the tl versus the v6 tsx...considering the modest price increase, I would def have a thorough test drive with both. I ended up choosing the base tsx as I had no need for the extra power, room, and cost.

Last edited by spdandpwr; 05-14-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
4cyl 6 speed manual if handling is important to you.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by pickler
4cyl 6 speed manual if handling is important to you.
I own the 4cyl and took the v6 for a spin while car was in for warranty work. Totally agree with the above statement. It felt like the V6 took away the tossability and flickability
Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
The handling of the V6 is inferior to the 4 cyl, on corners but the power is great. So it comes down to a compromise and preference. (and, of course price...) You need to test drive the V6 and make sure you can live with its handling in your daily driving. It gets a bit "bouncy" on bumps when compared to the 4 cyl but i can live with it...

Regarding the low-RPM vibration: I have that too. It appears to be related to when the torque converter lock-up engages. Dealer said it's normal... Anyone managed to get that fixed?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
the handling of the v6 gets sloppy once you add bumps on the road. it'll take 1 bump fine, but a few bumps in quick succession and it will shake you up bad. add a curved road to the mix, get ready to pucker up that butthole.

the handling of this car leaves a lot to be desired. however, if you want power, this is the car to get.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I've got a '10 TSX V6 and I had an '07 TL prior to the TSX. I have no issues with the way it handles. I'm sure the lighter 4 cylinder has a few handling advantages but for normal driving I'm completely satisfied. Having said that, I will concede that the stock Michelin tires are designed for ride quality versus handling benefits. I've never felt that the handling performance was hazardous. The ride and drive quality also exceed that of my '07 TL. Can't compare with a 4G TL as I haven't driven one. Whatever handling edge the V6 gives up to the 4 cylinder version is more that offset by the power of the sweet V6 engine. I have no regrets in buying my V6.

Last edited by a35tl; 05-14-2012 at 09:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
tbh, if i can chose again, i wouldn't mind going with the v6.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Instructor

The k24 is not an option, it is way too slow for me. I've driven one a few times as a loaner and it is dog slow, just like our Mazda3. Unfortunately, my RSX has really spoiled me (I've basically created my own Type R minus the LSD and then some b/c I have K Pro). The car is strong enough for the stop-n-go and it is pretty damn quick in a line and on any back road (A-Spec suspension). However, I'm not a kid anymore so I'm looking to step up. I guess I want too much cake and eat it too. Based on what I'm hearing, I don't think the V6 will do it for me, but I'm going to do a test drive anyway. Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Don't count the TSX V6 out just yet. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised once you drive it. I instantly fell in love with mine upon driving it. It has a way of casting its spell on you.