Urgent! Do I pay too much for my 2012 TSX special edition?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by jchan2
One helpful tip: I always ask what the processing fee is upfront and regardless of what it is, unless it's $100 or less, I reduce my planned initial offer by the amount of the fee.

These fees are out of hand and a back door way to profit- I've seen fees in recent years go from $50 to $200 to $500 to $600 at some places. It does not cost an Acura dealer $600 to file a title, file a financing contract/cash my check, mail me a license plate, and wash the car for delivery.

I'll say staying calm works too- I actually left the dealer with my parents when buying my TSX and 20 minutes later had the deal done at the price we wanted.
Processing fees are capped by state law. 99.9% of dealers will charge everything that the law allows.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Snow Trooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
So you are saying that Radley sold you a base TSX for $29000 minus $500 in accessories, minus the $399 processing (Radley's processing is $399) minus tags and fees. Taxes are about $900 and DMV fees are about $250.

Let's back that out

$29000 minus
$500 minus
$400 minus
$900 minus
$250 equals

$26950 for the base 2012 TSX. I don't believe that for a second. There is either more to the story (what's this "There was some dealer cash involved in the deal so, on paper the price is a little higher" mean?) or you forgot what you paid.

Invoice for the car is $29,151 before advertising and other costs). Back out $500 for manufacturer to dealer incentives and you're at $28650 with is about $1k below Edmunds target price and $350 below the USAA price (probably the "no haggle" gold standard.)

You're telling us that you got the car $4k under MSRP and $2000 below dealer cost. There isn't that much in hidden stuff or holdback in the car and the kickback they get from Acura Financial doesn't make that up either.

I would like you to get me the identical deal on the identical car.
Yup, here's my sales receipt: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/imagexmv.jpg/

I put $5000 down and the dealer credited me with $1500 cash, so that's why it says $6500 cash. Look, you can believe me or not but I don't really see why it would be advantageous for me to lie on this board. I'm just trying to let the OP know that a deal can be made if he shops around and negotiates hard enough. Take it or leave it... All I know is that I have my car and that is the price I paid for it. Whether or not you believe me does not change that at all.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tnguyen88
Yup, here's my sales receipt: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/imagexmv.jpg/

I put $5000 down and the dealer credited me with $1500 cash, so that's why it says $6500 cash. Look, you can believe me or not but I don't really see why it would be advantageous for me to lie on this board. I'm just trying to let the OP know that a deal can be made if he shops around and negotiates hard enough. Take it or leave it... All I know is that I have my car and that is the price I paid for it. Whether or not you believe me does not change that at all.
And why did he "give" you $1500 that he didn't account for? The price of the vehicle already includes all incentives so where did those $1500 magically come from? How can I get that?

I'd bet that Radley has a different story. Was it a 2011 or a "demo" car?

I guess we'll find out when Pakjk goes to see Al and finds out that the story is far different. Radley doesn't have a good reputation for pricing and their service department is in shambles. What other service department has folding chairs?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Snow Trooper

Originally Posted by ceb
And why did he "give" you $1500 that he didn't account for? The price of the vehicle already includes all incentives so where did those $1500 magically come from? How can I get that?

I'd bet that Radley has a different story. Was it a 2011 or a "demo" car?

I guess we'll find out when Pakjk goes to see Al and finds out that the story is far different. Radley doesn't have a good reputation for pricing and their service department is in shambles. What other service department has folding chairs?
I was told the $1500 was "dealer cash". I didn't really question it just because it got me to the price I wanted. Maybe the sales people are given an allowance to make a deal... I have no idea. I'm not a car salesman so I don't know how or why that was applied but as a customer, I didn't really care to question it since it got me to the number I wanted. Late in the negotiation, I stuck hard to $28,500 OTD with the accessories. I was pushing to get that price to include installation but eventually settled on 29k for everything including installed parts.

As for whether it was a 2011 or a demo car... I wasn't aware that special editions were made in 2011 and that Milano Red was offered as an option. It is definitely a 2012 and it had 22 miles on it when I got it a couple weeks ago. What would I gain from lying?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I was told the $1500 was "dealer cash". I didn't really question it just because it got me to the price I wanted. Maybe the sales people are given an allowance to make a deal... I have no idea. I'm not a car salesman so I don't know how or why that was applied but as a customer, I didn't really care to question it since it got me to the number I wanted. Late in the negotiation, I stuck hard to $28,500 OTD with the accessories. I was pushing to get that price to include installation but eventually settled on 29k for everything including installed parts.

As for whether it was a 2011 or a demo car... I wasn't aware that special editions were made in 2011 and that Milano Red was offered as an option. It is definitely a 2012 and it had 22 miles on it when I got it a couple weeks ago. What would I gain from lying?
Wait, so now you're saying you got a SE for that price? Add $1k to my prices above and there is no such thing as $1500 dealer cash.

Maybe Radley loses money on every sale - but they make it up in quantity...

Pakjk, please let us know what killer deal you get on the SE at Radley. I'd bet their best price will be about $2k more than tnguyen88 says he got.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

Hi guys, i recently purchase a new 2012 tsx w/ tech for 30500+tax etc from serramonte acura. I notice they were selling the SE for 29100+tax. I'm sure if you bring up the serramonte site to other dealership they will be more than welcome to price match a fellow Acura dealership. Excuse my grammar because I'm typing this from my phone in class xD.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can do way better. I paid 30,800 for my 2011 TSX tech (bought new). Don't let them screw around with you. Hold you ground and just remember, there are other dealerships and better prices. I used truecar.com and saw what the best prices in my area were and told myself before I went to the dealership that I was not going to spend more than 31k. Stick to your guns.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Snow Trooper

Originally Posted by ceb
Wait, so now you're saying you got a SE for that price? Add $1k to my prices above and there is no such thing as $1500 dealer cash.

Maybe Radley loses money on every sale - but they make it up in quantity...

Pakjk, please let us know what killer deal you get on the SE at Radley. I'd bet their best price will be about $2k more than tnguyen88 says he got.
yup, you got me, I'm lying. I've come to this message board to claim I got a better deal, than I really did, because it makes me feel more like a man.

Question me all you want, but I know what I got and I just came here to let other forum members know what I was able to get and hopefully give them a starting point with their negotiating. I really don't understand why this has driven a bug so far up your ass.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

yup, you got me, I'm lying. I've come to this message board to claim I got a better deal, than I really did, because it makes me feel more like a man.

Question me all you want, but I know what I got and I just came here to let other forum members know what I was able to get and hopefully give them a starting point with their negotiating. I really don't understand why this has driven a bug so far up your ass.
Because it is wild claims such as these that give other members unrealistic expectations. There is obviously more to this story because no dealer will do a straight sale at a loss. At under $27k for an SE, the dealer is taking a loss - especially a little fly by night dealer like Radley.

We'll see what Pakjk manages to get from Radley.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I paid $28,995 before tax and tag for a SE 6MT in March. I thought I did alright since I bought it from a local dealer; the only one where I live.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MrV8888
I paid $28,995 before tax and tag for a SE 6MT in March. I thought I did alright since I bought it from a local dealer; the only one where I live.
You did fine. That's still below the USAA price.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe tnguyen88

I got a 2012 TSX base auto with all season mat and cargo tray for $26500 + Tax + Title + DOC fee. OTD for $29118 on 03/31/12.

Last day of the month and also last day of the first quarter helped. All other dealers in the area offer $27100 to $27500 and i just picked one and go from there. This is NJ.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cheepung
I believe tnguyen88

I got a 2012 TSX base auto with all season mat and cargo tray for $26500 + Tax + Title + DOC fee. OTD for $29118 on 03/31/12.

Last day of the month and also last day of the first quarter helped. All other dealers in the area offer $27100 to $27500 and i just picked one and go from there. This is NJ.
Right. And his SE is $1k more, so how could he buy it for several hundred less?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Right. And his SE is $1k more, so how could he buy it for several hundred less?
his total seems to have come out to $30.5K for the SE. a lil over 1K more than cheep. just needs to explain where the dealer got that $1500 "cash back" which isnt listed on the paper
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Snow Trooper

Originally Posted by PyroDave
his total seems to have come out to $30.5K for the SE. a lil over 1K more than cheep. just needs to explain where the dealer got that $1500 "cash back" which isnt listed on the paper
I was confused when the sales person explained it too but liked said, I didn't question it since it got me to the number I wanted. My theory is that they get a monthly allowance that they can use to make deals as I came in on the last weekend of March and they wanted to sign everything on April. Maybe they already met their numbers for March and wanted to record my sale in April... I have no idea. Another item of note is that my car was one of their "daily deals" that they were running on their site. http://radleyacura.com/Daily-Deals/

You have to give them your info to see the special price but mine was being advertised as ~28k before taxes and fees. Once you register you get an automated email link to see the prices.

When we did the paperwork I noticed the 6500 number too but they only charged me $5000. I'm not sure how Radley does it but they did... I called all the other dealerships in the are and they all told me to sign on Radley's deal immediately. Some even guessed it was Radley because they get similar calls and have no explanation for how Radley can price so low.

As I've said... I really have nothing to gain by lying about $1500 on here. Even if I paid the extra $1500 I'd consider it a pretty good deal compared to the data I saw during my research. I offered a lowball price and managed to get it, it just shows that it never hurts to ask. The worst they can do is say no.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe the dealer cash is really the petty cash dealers have to help keep customers happy. A lot of dealers will repair/replace parts that warranty will not cover just to keep a customer. So maybe they took money out of that.

Worst case scenario I can think of is the car was heavy damaged during shipment and/or on the lot and they just wanted to get rid of it. Happens a lot. I'd run a paint meter over the entire car and see if you get some crazy numbers!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, just need a little help here. From what I gathered 32k otd for a new TSX se auto would be too much? Are the prices on truecar.com before or after tax? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
prices on truecar.com only reflect the price of the car + destination charge. taxes and all other fees are not included as they will vary from location to location and dealer to dealer.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a lot of you guys mentioned dealing with the internet sales department, where can i find an email address for a dealer? I've noticed most of the Acura dealers sites are the same, and can't find an email anywhere..any ideas?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mryank9
a lot of you guys mentioned dealing with the internet sales department, where can i find an email address for a dealer? I've noticed most of the Acura dealers sites are the same, and can't find an email anywhere..any ideas?
Call the dealer and ask for the contact name and email.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but I only visit this forum ~once monthly and this thread piqued my interest because I was surprised by the resistance to tnguyen88's post. His numbers are not hard to believe at all. My experience is more dated, but I think is still relevant since I also got what many consider an 'unbelievable' deal from Radley and I have a rather bad taste in my mouth for people similarly accuse me of lying when I have no reason to.

I purchased a brand new 2010 Base TSX (18 miles on the odo) from Radley in late August 2010 for ~$27,200 OTD. This included all fees, taxes, etc - truly OTD price. This means that the vehicle itself would have been priced at about $25.X K. With this, they included:
- Cargo mat
- All-weather mats
- Wheel locks
- 4 years/50,000 miles free oil change
- Free tire rotations, lifetime inspection

I had no trade-in; I was only there to buy. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the car and the deal was not for any specific vehicle. In fact, they let me have my pick of any vehicle/color combo I wanted on the lot and brought over a vehicle from a nearby lot when I requested PWP and they had none there at the time.

The reason I received such a great price is because there was a manufacturer's incentive for the base TSX at the time and dealers received something like $1-1.5K for each sold (I can't remember the exact value). I learned of this deal after 2 other people in my family had purchased the same base TSX at Pohanka Acura nearby for $27K OTD the month prior. I went to Radley to see if they could beat that knowing I had the price I wanted at Pohanka already. I bought from Radley because I was happy enough with the perks they offered (cargo tray, mats, oil changes) and because I was driving back to school 2 hours away the very next day and I had very limited time. I had planned to pay for the vehicle in full, but changed my mind after they also offered me great financing at 0.9%.

I guess the point of this post is to say that I was incredibly lucky with my timing to have had the manufacturer's incentive and that tnguyen88 might have had the same luck. It could explain the $1500 that he otherwise can't account for himself. I wouldn't necessarily advise others to wait to get prices similar to ours since they're unpredictable and rare, but the price can certainly be had for those with the right amount of patience and dumb luck.

I also have proof of sale if you don't believe me either. Trust me - it was pretty unbelievable to me at the time too.