The TSX V6 is a waste of money.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
You'll have to ask the OP that question. Do I think its a waste of money? No. Do I think its a poor value? Yes. Especially when compared to the 4 cylinder TSX. 18" wheels and a V6 don't equate to $5,500 IMO.

I think the point trying to made here is that the 1st gen and 2nd gen 4 cylinder were without question great values. The V6 isn't Try not to pay too much attention to the attention seeking title of the thread.
EXACTLY what I have been saying all along also.

Truth be told if I didn't have my '09 4 cyl and I was out shopping for a car RIGHT NOW, I would skip the TSX altogether. There is no way it is worth that kind of a price, even after adding a V6 and a *few* extras. I could get a TL*, a G37...

*Yes the TL seems to have a take it or leave it look with many, but you have to admit that you get a lot of bang for the buck w/ that car. When you compare a TL to a TSX V6, which thanks to Acura's pricing you would have to, it's a no brainer IMO because you get some things that the TSX simply doesn't have.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
According to Lexus' site, the models are not that far apart.

IS250 RWD starting at $31,xxx
IS250 AWD starting at $35,xxx
IS350 starting at $37,6xx
ES350 starting at $34,xxx

I could keep going, but the point is that they overlap when the cheaper models get different engine choices and more options.

im talking about different models, not 3 differnent IS's. you killed my point.

The IS is in the 30-37 range, then the ES is next, then the GS which is 40 something. then the LS.

In Acura, you have the TSX-I4 at 30,000, then the V6 at 34,000 and the TL also starting at 34,000. What i'm saying is why does Acura charge the same for a TL and a TSX-V6. The TL is more car for the same money, so they will just lose people to the TL.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by CL6
I would get a V6 TSX over a FWD TL any day. The TSX is a good looking car while the TL is just plain nasty looking.
i mean its all opinion, I think the 2010 TL is the sexiest Acura ever made! It has like that whole Batmobile look to it with the headlights and taillights. I just love the taillights.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by dom
No, I think I am. Which is why I said earlier that there is no right or wrong answer in choosing either car. Of course the value equation will be different for everybody but when you get down to the core of the vehicle. (engine, transmission, platform) The G37 is IMO a better value considering you can buy it for about 1K more than a V6 TSX.
yup thats what i meant when i compared the TSX v6 to the TL, but then somehow this turned into a G37 vs TSX thread. great job getting completely off topic guys!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by dom
You'll have to ask the OP that question. Do I think its a waste of money? No. Do I think its a poor value? Yes. Especially when compared to the 4 cylinder TSX. 18" wheels and a V6 don't equate to $5,500 IMO.

I think the point trying to made here is that the 1st gen and 2nd gen 4 cylinder were without question great values. The V6 isn't Try not to pay too much attention to the attention seeking title of the thread.

Tigmd99 said it best a few posts up.
yea and that was my point, the TSX v6 is a poor valued choice. you get all those features and more in the TL. and you are paying around the same price.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Tigmd99
NOW, you understand what we're talking about! So, a TSX V6 with TECH is around $38,000 (with TTL, you're looking at over $40k!!)!! For a plain TSX V6, you're looking at $35k (with TTL, you're looking at over $37k). Discounts will probably be hard to come by at this time because Acura just released it. Earlier this year, we almost bought a Infiniti G35 sedan with premium package, wood interior, automatic, a few other things for $36,000 out the door (TTL included)! I am sure that you can a similar deal in a few months (if not already) with the G37. So, yeah, even when Acura discounts the TSX V6, it is STILL playing in the G37 pricing territory! And that is the problem that I and others envision for Acura.
thank you! someone finally got my point of this thread!!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by ESHBG
EXACTLY what I have been saying all along also.

Truth be told if I didn't have my '09 4 cyl and I was out shopping for a car RIGHT NOW, I would skip the TSX altogether. There is no way it is worth that kind of a price, even after adding a V6 and a *few* extras. I could get a TL*, a G37...

*Yes the TL seems to have a take it or leave it look with many, but you have to admit that you get a lot of bang for the buck w/ that car. When you compare a TL to a TSX V6, which thanks to Acura's pricing you would have to, it's a no brainer IMO because you get some things that the TSX simply doesn't have.
yup perfectly said, you are only the second or third person to understand the point of my thread! thanks!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
But making a v6 is a mistake by acura. people are not going to buy it and the reason is that its the same starting price as a TL!

Why not just buy a TL? a much better car, if you are going to pay 34 grand anyway?
Those clever Acura guys! They'll do anything to make the TL look like a good deal!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
im talking about different models, not 3 differnent IS's. you killed my point.

The IS is in the 30-37 range, then the ES is next, then the GS which is 40 something. then the LS.

In Acura, you have the TSX-I4 at 30,000, then the V6 at 34,000 and the TL also starting at 34,000. What i'm saying is why does Acura charge the same for a TL and a TSX-V6. The TL is more car for the same money, so they will just lose people to the TL.
You didn't read. Go back and look at the price of the ES at the bottom of the list. Its starting price is in the middle of the IS line.

Why bring this thread back after several months, anyway?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The 4G TL has a face and ass only a mother could love, the front end is hideous period.
I don't care what they put in it or how good a car it is I would never drive one, so for me the TSX V6 would be the only choice.
I just traded in my 2008 3G TL, couldn't really figure out what to buy and I drove quite a few cars.
The new TL was out and the TSX V6 w/tech was too pricey, I went in a completely different direction and bought and Audi A4 convertible with the
200 HP 2.0T engine, love the motor and the mileage and you can't beat lowering the top!
Either way it's a very well put together car, there's alot to like and the incentives made the price attractive.
I wish Acura had some better options, disappointing as this is the first time I've swayed from Acura but I think you will continue to see their numbers fall as the competition is fierce and their thinking has moved in the wrong direction.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
The 4G TL has a face and ass only a mother could love, the front end is hideous period.
I don't care what they put in it or how good a car it is I would never drive one, so for me the TSX V6 would be the only choice.
I just traded in my 2008 3G TL, couldn't really figure out what to buy and I drove quite a few cars.
The new TL was out and the TSX V6 w/tech was too pricey, I went in a completely different direction and bought and Audi A4 convertible with the
200 HP 2.0T engine, love the motor and the mileage and you can't beat lowering the top!
Either way it's a very well put together car, there's alot to like and the incentives made the price attractive.
I wish Acura had some better options, disappointing as this is the first time I've swayed from Acura but I think you will continue to see their numbers fall as the competition is fierce and their thinking has moved in the wrong direction.
well it all comes down to opinion. I personally think the new TL is the sexiest Acura ever made.

And I hope you enjoy your a4 convertible , thats also a really nice car.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:28 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waste of money? It's worth what you are willing to spend on it.

As for the car, it is awesome. I've had it 24 days now and am lovin' it.

Kinda funny though, the dealership tried to get me into a TL at a cheaper price...they must not be selling too well.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by '10TSXV6
Waste of money? It's worth what you are willing to spend on it.

As for the car, it is awesome. I've had it 24 days now and am lovin' it.

Kinda funny though, the dealership tried to get me into a TL at a cheaper price...they must not be selling too well.
I concur... maybe in a sense that the TL is supposed to be positioned as the "better vehicle," but for what I paid for mine it was worth it and was far from a "waste of money."

Maybe Acura is just trying to get people to buy the TL? For me, the decision was easy... the 4G TL was just too big, gets slightly outperformed by the little brother and the 18 alloys just sealed the deal.

I guess to answer the question, "Is the TSX V6 worth the money" depends on how you look at it and what you compare it to. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but for me it was well worth it.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Indian Acura Driver

There's a few reasons I'd pick the V6 TSX over any of the TL's. Aside from the size and AWD factor, the TL has nothing going for it.

I'm someone who likes power in smaller sizes, as I'm single and only take friends out every so often, but love the power, the V6 is what i'd go for in the TSX.

At this point a fully loaded TSX is comparable to the TL, but bigger isn't always better.

The TSX and TL price points are the exact same as the IS/ES thing that is going on. The two cars are in the same price points but cater to different people. The IS has more distinguishable because of the fact that it's RWD/FWD.

The TL and TSX are separated by the Shawd System, which really only works for the higher end TL.

The TSX is catered to the younger family or younger people who want a sporty looking vehicle, and the V6 lets them boost the power for that option. The TL is catered to a more established family, more of a family vehicle with bells and whistles and whatnot.

Most may not agree at all, and I do believe that Acura might be biting into their own sales here, however I think for the younger guys, like myself, the V6 TSX is definitely the car to get...too bad it wasn't AWD, but hey, can't have everything!

Assuming these cars are in the running, personally save from the NSX and maybe the TSX, i don't see any other car worth owning in the lineup anymore, and even then one of them is discontinued...but there are much better cars out there now that might just be more fun to drive...given we have five so maybe I just want to have more variety on the driveways.

Last edited by Ibn Rushd; 09-20-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Breako
The G37 is also behind in fuel economy, isn't as practical (no folding rear seat), isn't an IIHS top safety pick, no USB music port, and also is a rebadged Nissan. I'll take cars sold both as Hondas and Acuras to cars sold as Infinitis and Nissans any day. And the 328i is about $6000 more than the Acura comparably equipped - What a rip-off!
i was also recently made aware that you can't get yakima or thule fit kits for the g37. that amazes me. i know it doesn't affect most, but that means I have hundreds of dollars in equipment that is useless. and i need the roof rack feature for skis and bikes and eventually a travel box....
Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
People really buy cars based on it being marginally safer than another?
we're definitely not all racing, so what would people buy a car based on? crash test results and safety has a lot to do with it for a lot of people. that's one of the main reasons honda sells so many units compared to many other companies, including Nissan.

why are you on this board if you don't like the vehicle? it's nice to have various points of views, and you make some good points, but you prefer the G37, that's fine. many of us do not. the TSX is still a much better value to many people.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Tigmd99
NOW, you understand what we're talking about! So, a TSX V6 with TECH is around $38,000 (with TTL, you're looking at over $40k!!)!! For a plain TSX V6, you're looking at $35k (with TTL, you're looking at over $37k). Discounts will probably be hard to come by at this time because Acura just released it. Earlier this year, we almost bought a Infiniti G35 sedan with premium package, wood interior, automatic, a few other things for $36,000 out the door (TTL included)! I am sure that you can a similar deal in a few months (if not already) with the G37. So, yeah, even when Acura discounts the TSX V6, it is STILL playing in the G37 pricing territory! And that is the problem that I and others envision for Acura.
so what price SHOULD the V6 be in the opinion of all those that think it's priced too high?

Is Acura having trouble selling them as of right now? I'm curious.

I got my 2006 for $500 over invoice and I bought it before they were really on the lots. It's easy to negotiate lower than MSRP if you try....
Old 09-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Colin
This is where you are totally missing my point. Yes, Chevy does not market the vette to older mid-lifers. They are marketing the image of a youthful car and this is what attracts the mid-lifer who ultimately buys the car.

So (IMO) when Acura says it is a sports sedan, they might be marketing the sporty image to the person who might otherwise buy an ES but views it as an 'old persons car'.
i tend to agree with this statement. i don't think there are that many 20 somethings in the country that can afford a $30k car anyhow. Some of us are more fortunate than others. Most of the people I see in Jersey with a TSX appear to be women in their 30s and some couples in their 40s and 50s. I was surprised, but that's what I see.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
wow TSX V6 w tech MSRP $37,000 HELL NO!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
i tend to agree with this statement. i don't think there are that many 20 somethings in the country that can afford a $30k car anyhow. Some of us are more fortunate than others. Most of the people I see in Jersey with a TSX appear to be women in their 30s and some couples in their 40s and 50s. I was surprised, but that's what I see.
Well FWIW, the demographic for the ^TSX (according to Acura) is: 30 years old, married, college grad, household income of 90,000. The TSX V-6 is 38 years old, married, college grad, household income of 110,000. So by your anecdotal observation, they might have hit it. Of course the commercials for the car somewhat illustrate my earlier point that market to an image younger than what you expect to sell to.

Last edited by Colin; 09-21-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 PM
B A N N E D

The TSX is a waste of money. For over 15k less, you can drive one of these which will get you to and from work with the same results:

To each their own.

Personally, the TSX is not the most exciting car I've owned. In fact, on a performance level, it's probably the worst one I've ever had. Perfect daily driver, good looking, great features, well priced. Is it exciting to drive? I would get more excited with a hooker at a fat camp.

Last edited by Life Dies; 09-22-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:37 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Yeah, it is a mutt, I'll give ya that. It does do a great job for what it is, though. 26-30 mpg works for me as a driver.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Colin
Well FWIW, the demographic for the ^TSX (according to Acura) is: 30 years old, married, college grad, household income of 90,000. The TSX V-6 is 38 years old, married, college grad, household income of 110,000. So by your anecdotal observation, they might have hit it. Of course the commercials for the car somewhat illustrate my earlier point that market to an image younger than what you expect to sell to.
true true colin. i am glad my wife and i were fortunate enough to be in the range to afford it as 24/25 yr olds. but it was also a very practical purchase when we compared it to the Honda Accord back in Dec 05. It wasn't much more money but we got a little bit more luxury and fun.

I read a lot of great reviews back then, but I see mostly the demographic you described. Then there is the demographic on this site. We just like the car a lot, so we're like gravy to Acura's marketing and sales departments.

It's kinda like the Zion came out and they were targeting inner city people that would like to customize their car (i think it was the Zion?). They ended up getting a lot of senior citizens because it was low to the ground and easy to get in/out.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bradykp
They ended up getting a lot of senior citizens because it was low to the ground and easy to get in/out.
thats true, i see alot of senior citizens driving it. makes me feel crappy lol.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

I dunno...the Altima comes with an option of a 3.5l 270hp v6. I've driven the TSX with the 201hp inline 4 and throwing a torquier v6 makes sense. Acura is supposed to be a premium automobile. Makes sense to me to offer a stonky v6 to stay abreast of all those 3.5se Altimas out there...too each his own...I think more displacement is always a good deal....