TSX Sportwagon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
TSX Sportwagon Headlights

Hi all,

Just purchased a TSX Sportwagon - thanks for all the info here.

HIDS seem to be set very low and are uneven.
When going down hill have very little view ahead of me with the sharp cut - off.

Lights also seem to be uneven - what is the normal view with these headlights.

Is this a quick fix at the dealer?

Thx
Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The uneven is normal. The LH side will appear lower so as to not blind on coming traffic. The sharp cut off is normal with HID headlights. I have noticed that while the lights look like they may not shine far, if something is in the distance, they will pick it up. The ONLY thing I don't like about HID's, is that they don't light up road signs very well because the light is so sharp and low.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 PM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I had this issue w my lexus convertible. Dealer said it was set to the lowest level and raised it for me. Apparently there is a range that can be adjusted and yours may be on the low side.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
My TSX sedan that I have had for three weeks the drivers side cuts way off compaired to passenger side.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
they need aimed.

you can move the beams up and down with the adjuster on the headlight.

measure the center mark on the low beam....there is a dimple on the lens. measure that from the ground.

find a level place. on the wall put tape at the same height as the dimple on the headlight. back up 25 from the wall and adjust the cutoff to match the mark on the wall.

its simple.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Thanks Robpp.

Can you tell me where the adjustment screw is.

I see what looks like to small covers above each light - looks like small round covers that may be covering the adj underneath.

Are these the up/down adjustment - if so is it the left or right one?

thx
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Graphite Ghost

there is NO LEFT RIGHT.

if it is L and R it is LOWER and RAISE.

i have never done it on the acura but I saw it in the manual.
tomorrow I can do some further research and get some pics of the adjusters. i can post the manual pages too.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the help Robpp!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by robpp
they need aimed.

you can move the beams up and down with the adjuster on the headlight.

measure the center mark on the low beam....there is a dimple on the lens. measure that from the ground.

find a level place. on the wall put tape at the same height as the dimple on the headlight. back up 25 from the wall and adjust the cutoff to match the mark on the wall.

its simple.
Close but not quite accurate. That is the old school "close is good enough" method if you don't have time to do it accurately.

Here is the proper way of calculating aim. The problem is finding that 40 foot long flat stretch of driveway to aim it properly.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Graphite Ghost

Originally Posted by ceb
Close but not quite accurate. That is the old school "close is good enough" method if you don't have time to do it accurately.

Here is the proper way of calculating aim. The problem is finding that 40 foot long flat stretch of driveway to aim it properly.

sorry Ceb......i took my data from the service manual. while yours might be close MINE IS EXACT from Honda/ since Daniel Stern didnt build my car Ill go with the manual/

here it is in writing/

Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

sorry Ceb......i took my data from the service manual. while yours might be close MINE IS EXACT from Honda/ since Daniel Stern didnt build my car Ill go with the manual/

here it is in writing/

Interesting. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Yasser22 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Graphite Ghost

we can also aim our fogs.

i will post up later or tomorrow when photobucket is behaving.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
we can also aim our fogs.

i will post up later or tomorrow when photobucket is behaving.
what about DRL/high beam reflectors, can they be adjusted as well?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by komplexZ
what about DRL/high beam reflectors, can they be adjusted as well?
The high beams, by law, cannot be adjusted independently of the low beams. There are no owner accessible adjustments on the high beams.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm not too happy with these HIDs. I only have around 5 or so complaints about this car, and the headlamp system is one of them. They should have used bi-xenon with quality projectors.

I've made level adjustments and they still aren't good. The problem lies with the projector system itself. There just doesn't seem to be enough lumens produced.

High quality projectors (actual bi-xenon headlamps) have a shield so that the both high beam and low beams (dipped) can be used in the same projector. With the TSX setup, we're stuck with a single beam xenon projector instead of bi-xenon and a pair of halogens for the high beams. It makes for an odd visual mix of light temperatures.

I'm assuming that the projectors on the TSX produce less than 2,000 lumens and that's also why they aren't very bright (?) Otherwise headlamp lens cleaners would be on the TSX and they aren't. Apparently they are required by ECE Regulation 45/48 if the projector and lamp produces more than 2,000 lumens. Even though the US isn't an ECE participant, Japan is. And they would have been equipped with washers since the TSX is also the Euro Accord. The ECE rule also requires washers on all HID lamp systems (even single beam) and with auto headlamp levelers, too. Not sure how Acura gets away without these (?) unless it's the lumens rating.

I don't think there's much one can do with the current single beam projectors. Osram makes a new bulb that's 5000k (white, not blue) but with more lumens. I can't find any for these Stanley brand projectors, however.

It would be nice to have a stand alone option of active bi-xenon headlamps for the TSX. As it is, the lighting system in the TSX is sub par (they really also should be using LEDs instead of bulbs for the rear and directional lights, after all it's 2012 already.)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by turning japanese
I'm not too happy with these HIDs. I only have around 5 or so complaints about this car, and the headlamp system is one of them. They should have used bi-xenon with quality projectors.

I've made level adjustments and they still aren't good. The problem lies with the projector system itself. There just doesn't seem to be enough lumens produced.

High quality projectors (actual bi-xenon headlamps) have a shield so that the both high beam and low beams (dipped) can be used in the same projector. With the TSX setup, we're stuck with a single beam xenon projector instead of bi-xenon and a pair of halogens for the high beams. It makes for an odd visual mix of light temperatures.

I'm assuming that the projectors on the TSX produce less than 2,000 lumens and that's also why they aren't very bright (?) Otherwise headlamp lens cleaners would be on the TSX and they aren't. Apparently they are required by ECE Regulation 45/48 if the projector and lamp produces more than 2,000 lumens. Even though the US isn't an ECE participant, Japan is. And they would have been equipped with washers since the TSX is also the Euro Accord. The ECE rule also requires washers on all HID lamp systems (even single beam) and with auto headlamp levelers, too. Not sure how Acura gets away without these (?) unless it's the lumens rating.

I don't think there's much one can do with the current single beam projectors. Osram makes a new bulb that's 5000k (white, not blue) but with more lumens. I can't find any for these Stanley brand projectors, however.

It would be nice to have a stand alone option of active bi-xenon headlamps for the TSX. As it is, the lighting system in the TSX is sub par (they really also should be using LEDs instead of bulbs for the rear and directional lights, after all it's 2012 already.)
The TSX actually has one of the better headlighting systems out there and it is quite a bit better than the bi-xenon setup on the BMW. The white light of the BMW high beam gave the appearance of more light, but the reach of the TSX high beams is greater.

The Accord (when equipped with HIDs) has both auto leveling and washers in Europe (I can't speak for Japan.)

Neither auto leveling nor washers are required by FMVSS 108 so Honda apparently decided to save the $300 or so on the levelers and washers in the US. Remember that US bumpers are different from the rest of the world based on crash test standards so a whole new system would have to be designed.

You also need to remember that Canada has adopted similar requirements to the US and that the base TSX in Canada has halogen headlights. Accordingly, Honda would have to design two entirely different bumpers - one with the headlight washing system.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
The TSX actually has one of the better headlighting systems out there and it is quite a bit better than the bi-xenon setup on the BMW. The white light of the BMW high beam gave the appearance of more light, but the reach of the TSX high beams is greater.

The Accord (when equipped with HIDs) has both auto leveling and washers in Europe (I can't speak for Japan.)

Neither auto leveling nor washers are required by FMVSS 108 so Honda apparently decided to save the $300 or so on the levelers and washers in the US. Remember that US bumpers are different from the rest of the world based on crash test standards so a whole new system would have to be designed.

You also need to remember that Canada has adopted similar requirements to the US and that the base TSX in Canada has halogen headlights. Accordingly, Honda would have to design two entirely different bumpers - one with the headlight washing system.
I looked at several pics of the Euro Tourer. Here's one with the washers (small horizontal covers on the bumper.) But you're right about bumper differences sometimes required in the domestic vs the ROW market. But is it really different for the US? The pics of the Euro versions look the same. Usually it's ride height or something minor like that. Mercedes and BMW appear to have identical bumpers in both the US and the ROW. Do you think Acura actually made different bumpers to avoid the washer and auto leveling costs for the US market? Or just used the conventional bumpers that were reserved for halogen equipped cars?

Do you think the HIDs in the US TSX wagon are really that bright? I find them to be pretty feeble. Granted they need to burn in (probably only 5 hours on mine as of today) but they not only look greenish (again burning more hours might change that), but they just don't seem to illuminate the road like I'm used to with other cars. The reach seems a lot less. I have a 12 year old 330i here in the driveway so I'll try to test the two against each other tonight. But the TSX just seems poor to me. I remember being kind of shocked at what seemed to me to be a low output the first night I drove it.

p.s., do you know the lumens rating and color temp of the OEM bulbs? I assume they are Stanley bulbs, correct? I couldn't find an Osram or Phillips equivalent that would let me stay in the 4300-5000k range.
Attached Thumbnails TSX Sportwagon Headlights-euro-accord.jpeg  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Advanced

Thanks all for the help here.

Copied the Service Manual pages for future reference.

Had the dealer adjust the headlights.

Moved up 5" at 40 feet.

Much better now.

Really like the Sportwagon - 250mi so far...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by turning japanese
I looked at several pics of the Euro Tourer. Here's one with the washers (small horizontal covers on the bumper.) But you're right about bumper differences sometimes required in the domestic vs the ROW market. But is it really different for the US? The pics of the Euro versions look the same. Usually it's ride height or something minor like that. Mercedes and BMW appear to have identical bumpers in both the US and the ROW. Do you think Acura actually made different bumpers to avoid the washer and auto leveling costs for the US market? Or just used the conventional bumpers that were reserved for halogen equipped cars?

The issue is that bumpers themselves are different. The bumper covers may look similar on the outside although the rear bumper on the wagon is visibly different as you can see here

with the bumper cover nearly flush with the rear hatch. There isn't sufficient space between the bumper/bumper support and the bumper cover for things like parking sensors or headlamp washers - done to keep a sleeker look. BMW and MB have the same issues and park distance control isn't available for the M-sport 3 series packages and Parktronic isn't available on the E wagon because of this. The front bumper covers may look very similar but they aren't the same.
Do you think the HIDs in the US TSX wagon are really that bright? I find them to be pretty feeble. Granted they need to burn in (probably only 5 hours on mine as of today) but they not only look greenish (again burning more hours might change that), but they just don't seem to illuminate the road like I'm used to with other cars. The reach seems a lot less. I have a 12 year old 330i here in the driveway so I'll try to test the two against each other tonight. But the TSX just seems poor to me. I remember being kind of shocked at what seemed to me to be a low output the first night I drove it.

I found the TSX low beams to be far superior in reach to those on my most recent BMW and at least equal to the HIDs on my S6. Perhaps yours has an issue. I was quite shocked as to how poorly the 3 series lit up the road initially - it takes a few weeks to get used to the differences in car lighting.

p.s., do you know the lumens rating and color temp of the OEM bulbs? I assume they are Stanley bulbs, correct? I couldn't find an Osram or Phillips equivalent that would let me stay in the 4300-5000k range.
The bulbs are a D2S AFAIK. I do know they 4300k and they should be in the 3000 lumen range. Anything over 5000k no longer meets the legal definition of "white" and wouldn't meet the requirements of the FMVSS.

Borrow a TSX loaner from your night overr night one day and see if that car has the same issues.

The "problem" with our high beams is that our brains translate whiter (or slightly blue) initially as "better" but fail to differentiate between glare and actual better visibility.

In order to properly determine if visibility is increased, you need to do either scientific studies or semi-scientific studies - park two cars next to each other on a deserted straight road and look at the reach of each set of headlamps. Do the halogens first as the HIDs will slightly degrade your night vision. I think you'll find that the TSX has a better reach than your 330.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by ceb; 09-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
The bulbs are a D2S AFAIK. I do know they 4300k and they should be in the 3000 lumen range. Anything over 5000k no longer meets the legal definition of "white" and wouldn't meet the requirements of the FMVSS.

Borrow a TSX loaner from your night overr night one day and see if that car has the same issues.

The "problem" with our high beams is that our brains translate whiter (or slightly blue) initially as "better" but fail to differentiate between glare and actual better visibility.

In order to properly determine if visibility is increased, you need to do either scientific studies or semi-scientific studies - park two cars next to each other on a deserted straight road and look at the reach of each set of headlamps. Do the halogens first as the HIDs will slightly degrade your night vision. I think you'll find that the TSX has a better reach than your 330.

Please keep us posted.
Temperature and lumens I do understand. I'm looking for lumens and not too concerned about color temp. Just as you probably have, I've argued enough times with people who think the higher color temps (5k+) are giving them better light when in fact they're reducing their light output with those useless Ricer blue lamps.

I realize the TSX uses D2S bulbs but I couldn't find any of the latest OSRAM bulbs that would fit the Stanley projectors. At least not any cross references. Mercedes started to equip the 2011 W212 models with these new bulbs and they are 5000k but with higher lumens than their previous 4300K bulbs. I got a set for my E63 (W211) and there was a very noticeable improvement in brightness (lumens.) They weren't cheap (iirc, around $175.) Plus the added whiteness in color temp was a bonus. The TSX isn't anywhere close to my E63's lights (granted they were bi-xenons with active curve illumination but I also feel the projectors were overall a better quality than these Stanley units.) The TSX projectors just don't seem to 'project' enough light (maybe the recessed design with the black plastic surround has something to do with it?)

Last night I checked the Bimmer and it does seem brighter and with more lumens. It does have bi-xenons and also auto leveling. But no washers since it's a 2000 model year E46 (I think the ECE washer law happened in 2006.) My E63 had washers and the front and rear bumpers are identical to the ROW models. I had parktronic front and rear, although I realize that the W212 E350 wagon doesn't offer parktronic. The Honda Tourer has an entirely different tailgate (not only the bumper) to accommodate the long Euro plates. I thought the North American M-Sport package BMW E90 has an entirely different style of front and rear bumpers than the non-M package and that's the reason why the park sensors aren't available (?) At least that's what my salesperson explained to me.

I dunno, but to my eyes the front bumpers of the Tourer and the TSX wagon look identical. I'm just guessing here that there are two bumpers, one for halogen ROW models and one for HID ROW models. And that Acura just uses the halogen bumper for all North American exports (?) That would probably save $$ for them overall.

I have a very long driveway so tonight I'm going to park the 330i and the TSX side by side and test distance. Good idea about taking a loaner for the night, I'll do that when I get a chance. In the meantime I need to burn in more hours on them.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

(p.s, since the TSX uses bulbs in the tail lights and the directionals instead of LEDs, does the computer link to the lighting circuit to show a dead bulb warning on the instrument cluster?)

Last edited by turning japanese; 09-05-2012 at 02:34 PM.