tsx or altima?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsx or altima?

simple question really. pros, cons opinions??
Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering the forum don't be surprised at the answers you get.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
3rd Gear

yeah well the alti boys at their forum seem to stand by their cars...any common problems ya'll have with the tsx ?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thesilverguru....it pretty much depends what are things you look for? I for one much prefer the TSX over the Altima otherwise I wouldn't be driving one As the previous poster, this forum will be very biased towards the TSX. I am not a big fan of the Altima look myself but thats just my opinion. You need to give more specifics as to what is most important to you, features, reliability, econmy, re-sale value etc... If its just a matter of which one looks best, that is too personal to answer, its like asking someone what they prefer, blonds or brunette...
Old 07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSilverGuru
yeah well the alti boys at their forum seem to stand by their cars...any common problems ya'll have with the tsx ?
I for one have had zero issues with my 2006 TSX and so far, none with my 2009. This car is amazing solid, refined, upscale, fun and although not quite as nimble as the previous generation, its still pretty darn close when you drive it more than just for a few test drive. I would say that the EPS on this car can do pretty much 95% of what the previous hydraulic steering did before but now, the car is smoother, more refined and has better fuel economy...
Old 07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 09TSX
thesilverguru....it pretty much depends what are things you look for? I for one much prefer the TSX over the Altima otherwise I wouldn't be driving one As the previous poster, this forum will be very biased towards the TSX. I am not a big fan of the Altima look myself but thats just my opinion. You need to give more specifics as to what is most important to you, features, reliability, econmy, re-sale value etc... If its just a matter of which one looks best, that is too personal to answer, its like asking someone what they prefer, blonds or brunette...

brunette blonds are over rated. i want a 4 cylinder fwd. i know that acura is know for reliability and resale value. i've driven the alti with the cvt tranny but that dont mean much to me since i'de only take it in stick. ive been in the tsx never driven. the interior is aamazing but i think it may be too fancy for me. nissan is renowned for their crappy interior and the alti doesnt prove that wrong. any body here drive a stick tsx? any clutch issues? i know i have too many questions and thanks for putting up with me. luxury or economy is what i think it boils down to...
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSilverGuru
brunette blonds are over rated. i want a 4 cylinder fwd. i know that acura is know for reliability and resale value. i've driven the alti with the cvt tranny but that dont mean much to me since i'de only take it in stick. ive been in the tsx never driven. the interior is aamazing but i think it may be too fancy for me. nissan is renowned for their crappy interior and the alti doesnt prove that wrong. any body here drive a stick tsx? any clutch issues? i know i have too many questions and thanks for putting up with me. luxury or economy is what i think it boils down to...
I drive a stick 2009 TSX. It's as smooth as butter. The best manual tranny I have every driven. It never bucks or lurches like other sticks do when the speed is too slow for the gear. If you decide on the TSX, I strongly suggest getting a manual tranny. I went to buy an auto, but test drove a manual the dealer happened to have on hand just for fun. I took the manual without a moment's hesitation.

The EPA gives the manual slightly lower mileage estimates: 20/28 vs. 21/30 for the auto. But I got 32.4 mpg on a recent trip to Boston, so it's still a 30+ mpg car in real world driving for most. The manual TSX is a totally different car - much, much faster off the line. That 201 hp feels like 230 with the manual. No offense to the vast majority who choose the auto, but I really don't know what you guys/gals were thinking.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Instructor

For me (and I don't own a TSX yet, but plan on it soon) the decision also included luxury or not? I currently drive an '04 Civic EX that I love, but I've always wanted something larger. I wanted to stay with a FWD, and preferably a 4 cyclinder engine. I was excited for the new Accord, but decided the sedan was too big for me, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go for a coupe. I then looked seriously at the Camry and Altima and started considering both of them. However, when I priced them out with the options that a) I already have a want to keep, and b) little extras that didn't exist with the Civic in '04 like it might today, they came in around $30K each. To me, it seems silly to spend that much money on a Camry or Altima, and I'd rather spend that (or even an extra $3K) and get the TSX. In my eyes, I'd rather then consider getting an '09 Civic EX-L, because at least there I see a price true price difference. In my opinion, this makes sense for me.

It really depends on what you're hoping to get out of your next car. I don't care at all for a V6 engine at all, but right now I'm reading so much about how "underpowered" the '09 TSX is that it is making me think twice. I can't decide if this is because people are comparing it to an entry level BMW or Mercedes, which if so, makes sense. Coming from a Honda Civic, I would hope that my impression isn’t the same, because why upgrade to a car that is equivalent to what I already have. I did have a brief test drive once in an automatic (currently drive a 5 speed) and I didn’t (sadly) spend my time “driving the car”, but instead enjoyed the abundance of features I’ve never been privy to in my car!

Aside from a minimal price difference for the Altima model I would choose, I think I would choose the reliability of Honda, solely based on my previous experience with two Hondas. That said, I think the Altima is a great looking car and I enjoyed the way it drove when I rented one this past year.

P.S. You're not the only one with many questions! I go back and forth all day! It's important to me (and many others) to think heavily about a purchase this price!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nycgay23
I don't care at all for a V6 engine at all, but right now I'm reading so much about how "underpowered" the '09 TSX is that it is making me think twice. I can't decide if this is because people are comparing it to an entry level BMW or Mercedes, which if so, makes sense. Coming from a Honda Civic, I would hope that my impression isn’t the same, because why upgrade to a car that is equivalent to what I already have. I did have a brief test drive once in an automatic (currently drive a 5 speed) and I didn’t (sadly) spend my time “driving the car”, but instead enjoyed the abundance of features I’ve never been privy to in my car!
The TSX is hardly underpowered. Even the automatic will get you to 60 in less than 8 seconds. No one called the 1st gen. underpowered, meanwhile the 2nd gen is faster than its predecessor despite being bigger and heavier. It's plenty quick, especially if you get the stick. You won't win many stoplight races in a TSX, but then that's not really what the car was built for now was it? The Audi A4 has the same horsepower and around the same weight. Do you hear anyone calling that underpowered?

Test drive the car and decide for yourself. Most of the people writing negative stuff about the car have spent minutes or at most hours with it. Ask those of us who spent weeks and months with it what we think.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Thanks for that reply, Craig-D. I don't want to take discussion away from the OP's thread, but I am happy to hear this from someone who does know the car better than most reviewers. I really couldn't imagine it being underpowered, but the power issue seemed to be such a big part of many reviews. I definitely don't race my car, nor do I hardly ever get past 3K rpm in my normal driving with my car. The only place I am looking forward to some power is in highway merging/passing speeds, which I am sure I will find more of in the TSX. Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

When i shopped for cars about 2-weeks ago, i check out both the Altima and the TSX. What it came down to is:

Altima:
-Too large of a cabin for my taste. (I am 19, so I don't need a big spacious car)
-Did like the design, but it is too large, that was my only real complaint.

TSX:
-Very sporty and suitable for a young "urban professional".
-Sport sedan look and feel.

Sitting in the TSX is like sitting in a nice and comfortable glove. I knew from the moment that I test drove it that I really wanted it.

I test drove the altima, but didn't like the way the cabin felt. It's a bit empty and hollow w/o the gizmos and gadgets to fill in the space.

I just felt like the Altima is for older ppl and is very much a family sedan.

The tsx is sporty and drives well if you're looking for something like that.

They both have great fuel-economy, so don't worry about that.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:06 PM
8th Gear

I drove the TSX and Altima quite a bit. The Altima is a nice car but reminds me more of the Accord than the TSX.

I really liked the 4-Cyl Altima, plenty of power, great MPG. I didn't care for the steering (too soft) and found the ride a little floaty.

The show stopped for me with the Altima was the interior. The fake plastic wood trim is terrible and the rest of the interior just doesn't stack up with the Altima (or Accord).

But -- the Altima is cheaper and plenty are being sold. For me I'll take the Accord before the Altima, and the TSX over the Accord.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Advanced

I'll add my 2 cents...simple and easy. How many 10 year old Altimas do you see, compared with 10 year old Honda Accords? 2nd part of my answer relates to styling longevity.....which retains better style after 10 years....that same Honda or the Altima?
IMO, questions answered, case closed!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 PM
9th Gear

TSX is built in Japan and Altimas are built in Tennessee and Mississippi(might not be a factor for many).

Nissans aren't bad and certainly better than anything built by the Big 3 but I've always considered them a step below Honda and Toyota
Old 07-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mr21
TSX is built in Japan and Altimas are built in Tennessee and Mississippi(might not be a factor for many).

Nissans aren't bad and certainly better than anything built by the Big 3 but I've always considered them a step below Honda and Toyota
You might want to take a look at Consumer Reports and J.D. Power Associates. You may also want to look at the reliability ratings of the Nissan Armada. Ford blew by Nissan in overall reliability some time ago and the Ford Fusion is more reliable than such Japanese models as the Toyota Camry. But don't take my word for it. Look up those resources yourself and tell me again about Nissan products being better than anything built by the Big 3, of which Ford is a member.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 AM
9th Gear

I rented a Ford Fusion when I was in Hawaii last month and was pleasantly suprised.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mr21
I rented a Ford Fusion when I was in Hawaii last month and was pleasantly suprised.
You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until the 350 hp twin-turbo Fusion GT comes out for the 2010 model year. If it can be had with a stick, that will be my next ride after my TSX lease is over. Forget Nissan, Ford is aiming for the Audi S4 with that car.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

I checked out the Altima at the auto show this spring, and I thought it was very appealing. It actually has a back seat, which is important any time you have more than 2 people in the car. The styling is >> the 2nd generation TSX. It doesn't have the technology package of the TSX, but it seems to me that Acura has maybe gone over the top with too many buttons on the dash and an i-drive style navigation system. I really like the simplicity of the first gen TSX's interior.

My biggest issue with the Altima is, the power train I would want is the hybrid, which is not sold in Minnesota. My next car has to get 40 mpg or better.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Iceman
My next car has to get 40 mpg or better.
Sounds like your shopping list will be a short one then. No need to be looking at any Acuras or Nissans, or anything else with much excitement. Not too many cars in North America will do that in real world driving. Looks like you'll be deciding between the base Mini Cooper, Smart FourTwo, and Toyota Prius.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig-D
Sounds like your shopping list will be a short one then. No need to be looking at any Acuras or Nissans, or anything else with much excitement. Not too many cars in North America will do that in real world driving. Looks like you'll be deciding between the base Mini Cooper, Smart FourTwo, and Toyota Prius.
I agree. That's why I'm waiting until next year, when you either have a 40 mpg car available or you are out of business. The diesel Accord in Europe has a great reputation, so I have high hopes that next year's diesel TSX will be pretty good. Although I have to say, the new VW TDI meets almost all of my criteria. I can't believe VW isn't importing more of them. I heard a rumor that they are already sold out for the year!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM
10th Gear

Test drive both to compare and that in itself will be an eye opener to what "you" are looking for in a vehicle.

I can't speak from personal experience about Nissan, although, I think they've improved on their design in the past few years.

I started out a few years back with the 04 Honda EX Civic Coupe (5 speed manual), brand new. Extremely reliable, great gas mileage, and underpowered. Very loud during freeway driving in the interior cabin. I couldn't hear myself think in that thing. The other thing that bothered me was tail gaters, even though I was doing 5 to 10 over the speed limit on most days.

I upgraded to the 06 RSX Type-S. No more tail gaters. Loved the spirited engine! The raw power coming from it compared to the civic was night and day (obviously). Very reliable power plant. Gas mileage was less, but I didn't care.

Again, interior cabin was just as loud. Stop and go traffic on freeway commutes and stick made for taxing drives on heavy congestion days.

Mechanically, the third gear wasn't always easy to get into due to a transmission defect Acura has had in that model (between 2nd and 3rd gear) since it's inception. All in all, it was a good sports coupe and did what it was designed for.

My wife made the mistake of pointing out a 2009 TSX that was showcased at the Mall one weekend. I ended up test driving it the following weekend after checking out the Acura website. It's now my car.

Road noise minimal, compared to my last vehicles. Tech package is amazing and I'm still learning all of the features. Built in home link controls for the garage door cleans up the visors. Back up camera is great for reversing into spaces at the parking garage.

Cabin is plush and refined as previous posters have stated.

Ride quality: This car glides on the road and does amazingly well on corners. Very solid ride.

I have no regrets in getting it in automatic, which comes with paddle shifters. I'm relaxed on commutes these days and look forward to driving. Down the road I'll have another stick, but that will be for a weekend fun car.

I can go on, but the sum it up.....I LOVE THIS CAR!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 AM
Instructor

not to bring up an old(er) thread but I have to chime in on this one. I just test drove the Altima Coupe (about 2 weeks ago) and also test drove the TSX 3 days ago. The TSX completely owns the Altima, hands down. Comfort, style, # of standard features ..... all goes to the TSX. the only thing the Altima Coupe has over the TSX is speed. Its a bit faster but who cares. I'm all about performance, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for style or comfort.

But what do I know.....i'm coming from a neon srt4 to a TSX and lovin' it
Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Pro

I actually bought an 08 2.5SL Altima a few months ago over the new 09 TSX because I was so disgusted with it's design and features. Flame me all you want. I love the previous gen TSX and hate the 09 TSX. First of all, you get what you pay for in the Altima. The 2007 Altimas have proven to be very reliable. MUCH better than the previous gens. The TSX however has a better factory warranty. The Altima's 2.5 engine is efficient, powerful, but a little noisy when revved high. It's easy to rev high because of the CVT transmission; something completely different than the TSX's 5-speed. Altima is fine with regular gas, but TSX expect to use Premium for full performance. Stability control is not offered on the 07 and 08 models of the Altima. We don't know about 09 yet. Accord however has this standard. Altima has 5 stars all around like the TSX.

TSX:
201 hp @ 7000 rpm
170 ft-lbs. @ 4300 rpm

Altima
2.5 L
175 hp @ 5600 rpm
180 ft-lbs. @ 3900 rpm
3.5 L
270 hp @ 6000 rpm
258 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm

Altima is obviously a cheaper option so you're going to notice things like 16 inch rims instead of 17 on the TSX. The Altima does come with some cool features standard such as push start ignition with door handle buttons(with trunk button) so that you never need to take your keys out of your pocket). Trip computer with MPG calculator, reminders for oil, etc. Stuff like that. Accord however lacks this. If you want to match up to the TSX with options, you need to get the SL package which has dual climate control with rear AC, heated and leather seats, etc. If you get the Bose, then you'll have 8 speakers. MPG is better in Altima(with the 2.5) and has a 20 gallon tank so less fill ups. Altima is only a few inches longer, but not as wide as the TSX. My advice is to test drive both and come back to this forum and tell us what YOU think.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear

TSX or Altima?

A friend of mine has the 4-door Altima and it is nice, but not as nice as the TSX. I think the TSX is both plush and sporty at the same time. The 2-door Altima is very cool looking, but I have not driven it.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Racer

I can probably give you a good opinion of both as I own both. I bought a loaded 07 Altima a year and a half ago (07 is the first year the new body style came out - it hasn't changed hardly at all since 07) and I just recently added an 09 tsx. Both are 6 sp manuals and both are loaded. They're practically twins, black/black, dark tint, leather, nav, both pretty much stock....the main difference is that I bought the 3.5 SE V6 altima vs the 4 cyl TSX. Basically here's my thoughts on both.

First, you need to understand where I'm coming from. I like large, sporty family sedans. I like to drive hard on occasion, but for the most part I drive fairly normal. The price of both cars was the same, about 30k give or take. I like both cars equally as they're both compromises in some fashion or another. I've concluded that to have everything I'd want in a car I'd have to spend about 40k.

Altima

Interior - very astute. Although it doesn't feel quite as luxury as the TSX or even a nice accord for that matter, it was a give and take and there are some things I like better in the Altima. Examples, the bluetooth phone sound is better, seats heat up much faster and gets hotter, climate control system is much more powerful cooling or heating, control of the overhead lights is better (one switch controls the front AND back lights, and each light has its own switch as well), each rear passenger has his own light, glove compartment is HUGE (it will fit a large laptop sitting flat), overall interior space is MUCH better and rear seats are more comfy to me, front seats are larger but less supportive, Bose sound system is MUCH better with all inputs but bass CAN be less powerful (typical bose) and its not 5.1 like the tsx...I only have one 5.1 audio cd though (I listen to all kinds of music and appreciate good sound, clarity etc), passenger seat is not power, altima has rear air vents on the back of the center console, electronics are MUCH easier, simpler, and intuitive to use, dash is made of the same "slush molding" stuff..to me the grain is better than the tsx, moonroof glass is larger so you get more of a view when closed, although like most hondas I've seen when you open the tsx's, it opens more fully so the difference is less when open. Altima's backup camera is more useful. Its mounted in the center and has guidelines on it. I can backup into a parking space and park perfectly looking solely at the camera, but I can't in the TSX. I only use the TSX cam to watch out for objects, but not precise parking. The camera image is also much better in the Altima with low light. Its not nearly as grainy or fuzzy.

Exterior - I like them both the same. I don't think the exteriors are very much different in terms or quality or luxury. Both designs are nice. Both have mirror blinkers (although I like the design of the Altima better), the trunks both have an exterior button to open (but the Altima is more convenient because its a keyless system, you don't have to unlock anything first. As long as the key is on you, it will open), both cars are factory HID and I have yellow fogs in both. Tails are both non-LED. TSX has chrome door handles, Altima is body colored.

Mechanicals - Remember I bought the 3.5 SE which is the V6 with sport suspension. If you get a 4 cyl then there is no suspension choice. The TSX has a softer more compliant ride. Its "nicer"...however my altima is 250lbs or so lighter with a much more taught suspension. Zipping around traffic is a lot more fun, but small bumps can be a pain. The Altima's steering is lighter and speed sensitive, the on center feel is better. The TSX steering can become "tiring" trying to keep the car centered on the road. TSX steering is heavier with less road feel....it also has more torque steer when pressed. Altima torque steer is practically non-existent. Nissan uses a lot of aluminum - hood, suspension arms, and other major parts are aluminum. Main thing for me is that it doesn't rust here in Ohio. The V6 still pulls better, sounds much smoother, and the exhaust tone is more subdued but throaty. The TSX just acts/behaves/sounds like a 4 cyl. Still good, but definitely different. TSX is no slouch however. I drove it hard on my test drive - I redlined it, went through the gears to 110 mph, and braked hard. The TSX can be more "entertaining" when driven hard, so even though my Altima has a V6 and sport suspension, I consider them both fun to drive, if for different reasons. MPGs are practically the same - about 24ish city and 32 highway. The TSX isn't saving me any gas. With the newest gen engines Nissan really upped the fuel economy. I believe on the 4 cyl a lot of ppl are getting closer to 40 mpg highway. I CAN get 40 mpg driving 40mph in 6th gear, at 65 I get about 31-32.

Overall I bought the TSX because I wanted a better touchy feely interior...what the Altima lacked. The electronics are slightly more featured, but are harder to use and not as intuitive. They both work equally as well for the most part. The tradeoff is that the Altima is mechanically better to me. Quality may not be as good to some, but I believe its more of a cost issue. If I had to have good mechanicals AND a nicer interior, I'd be paying more plain and simple. I test drove a loaded Camry and Accord when I bought my Altima, and I specifically chose the Altima because of the sportiness. Camry was the nicest of the 3 (very Lexus like) but was boring to drive. It didn't have a backup camera. Accord was nice overall but just seemed average to me. The V6 engine in the Altima is extremely reliable. Some version of it is used in most Nissan cars which offer a V6. Its a modified version of the V6 in the 350z.

Sorry this was kinda long but these are the things that come to mind when I think of comparing the two. Don't get me wrong from what I said...it may sound like I like the Altima better but like I said in the begining I like them equally. Just for different reasons. In the end nothing will help you decide better than test driving both and doing the research. If you have any questions just ask.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Racer

One thing I forgot to mention...

Something I REALLY like on the Altima that the TSX doesn't have...a keyless system with push button start. I never have to take my key out or push buttons on the fob. I'm still having trouble getting used to taking my key out for the TSX. I still walk up to the car with my hands full forgetting I need to use the fob to lock or unlock the door. lol If you've never had one you wouldn't know the difference, but once you do you'll never know how you lived without it. TSX fob will open all windows and moonroof, Altima fob will only open front two windows. Both will open and close everything with a key in the door.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
No one called the 1st gen. underpowered,
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
^^^ +1

I was thinking the same thing Dom. I thought the majority of complaints about the 1st and 2nd Gen TSX was that its underpowered.

That was one of the main reasons for me not purchasing the TSX back in 2006 and getting my 2.0T.

BTW nice Avatar Dom....dont worry, some decade it will come again.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cp3117
^^^ +1

I was thinking the same thing Dom. I thought the majority of complaints about the 1st and 2nd Gen TSX was that its underpowered.

That was one of the main reasons for me not purchasing the TSX back in 2006 and getting my 2.0T.

So you passed on a 200hp naturally aspirated 4 cyl. for a 200hp turbo 4 cyl. Makes sense to me with all that extra power.

Look, the TSX may not have as much power as some may prefer, but it is not underpowered. Those are two different things. Underpowered means a vehicle's engine is lacks sufficent power to get it up to speed in respectable time or struggles up hills and during passing. A car that goes from 0-60 in less than 7.5 sec. may not win a lot of drag races, but it is not underpowered. My '89 Mustang with an 88hp 4 cyl. was underpowered. Put a 4cyl. engine in a Hummer and then we're talking about a vehicle that's underpowered. A 3500 lb. car with 200hp and 175 lbs. ft. of torque is not underpowered.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Look, the TSX may not have as much power as some may prefer, but it is not underpowered. Those are two different things. Underpowered means a vehicle's engine is lacks sufficent power to get it up to speed in respectable time or struggles up hills and during passing. A car that goes from 0-60 in less than 7.5 sec. may not win a lot of drag races, but it is not underpowered. My '89 Mustang with an 88hp 4 cyl. was underpowered. Put a 4cyl. engine in a Hummer and then we're talking about a vehicle that's underpowered. A 3500 lb. car with 200hp and 175 lbs. ft. of torque is not underpowered.
I think definitions of underpowered may differ, and that's fine. IMO it is slightly underpowered, no biggie. Just pointing out that the #1 complaint on these boards as long as I've been a member is power.

So you passed on a 200hp naturally aspirated 4 cyl. for a 200hp turbo 4 cyl. Makes sense to me with all that extra power.
It has ~40 more lb-ft of torque. Which also arrives much earlier than the TSX's 166-172.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cp3117

Jonsei put it there but I like it. I hope I'm alive that decade.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Look, the TSX may not have as much power as some may prefer, but it is not underpowered. Those are two different things. Underpowered means a vehicle's engine is lacks sufficient power to get it up to speed in respectable time or struggles up hills and during passing. A car that goes from 0-60 in less than 7.5 sec. may not win a lot of drag races, but it is not underpowered. My '89 Mustang with an 88hp 4 cyl. was underpowered. Put a 4cyl. engine in a Hummer and then we're talking about a vehicle that's underpowered. A 3500 lb. car with 200hp and 175 lbs. ft. of torque is not underpowered.
Actually the TSX had 205 Hp in 2006 compared to the VW Jetta's 2.0T which was 200 Hp. What i passed on was the 164 Ft/lbs of Torque in the TSX compared to the 2.0T which had 207 ft/lbs

That 43 ft/lbs difference is huge especially when it comes much earlier than the TSX and is spread out very well. This is where the consumer and automotive reviewers get the feeling that the TSX is underpowered. I totally understand your definition of underpowered, but their isnt much made today that doesnt have enough power to pass well or merge etc. When they say the TSX is underpowered it is when compared to its rivals.

I was basically just referring to your earlier comment about why A4 owners and auto reviewers dont complain about the 2.0T A4 being underpowered when the Hp is the same as the TSX....thats because of the huge Tq difference. The 2009 A4 has almost 90ft/lbs over the TSX now and that power difference is even that much greater now.

The A4 is more of a competitor with TL and the new A4 with that huge increase in Tq can actually equal or sometimes out perform the 3.7L TL SH-AWD from 0-60.

As far as the TSX and Altima are concerned i would look more at the TSX mainly due to cosmetics as i have never liked Nissan interiors and i hate the exterior of the Altima/maxima...As far as drivetrains are concerned and by just looking at the numbers i dont think you will notice much difference depending on if the weight between the two vary much......but thats just my
Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
I drive a stick 2009 TSX. It's as smooth as butter. The best manual tranny I have every driven. It never bucks or lurches like other sticks do when the speed is too slow for the gear. If you decide on the TSX, I strongly suggest getting a manual tranny. I went to buy an auto, but test drove a manual the dealer happened to have on hand just for fun. I took the manual without a moment's hesitation.
one of the main reasons i got the new 2009 tsx myself was because of just this . my good friend told me that the transmission on the new tsx's are just amazing. once i tried it out, i couldnt agree more. hands down the best manual tranny ive driven before. My friend said it best; "wow this is so smooth. it feels like a penis going into something." lol
Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Racer

Personally I don't think the my TSX is underpowered at all, even compared to my Alty V6 (Alty is 270hp/258 tq and weighs ~250 lbs less). Numbers might be better, but if you rev the TSX...its just as fun IMO. The trick to having fun with any car is knowing how to extract the performance you want. My main concern before I test drove the TSX was how much power it had (or lacked compared to what I already owned). After the test drive, I ended up buying the car the same day.

Just keep in mind the two cars drive completely different. With just a CAI people have been getting ~5.8 real world in the Alty (V6 manual)....I don't feel like the TSX is any slower...I drive spirited on occasion but I don't normally drive trying to get 5.8 on a regular basis. Maybe if you're doing 0-60 sprints all day you might really care, but everyday driving and passing...no problems here.

Test drive, test drive, test drive...it doesn't matter which is "better" or what other people say...the only thing that matters is which one YOU like.