Truth About Cars 09 TSX Review [blunt review]

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truth About Cars 09 TSX Review [blunt review]

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009-acura-tsx-review/

"The official press release paints the Acura TSX as some kind of high-tech commuting professional car. So why is the double-wishbone (with rear multi-link) suspension is abusively harsh and jarring, and noisy to boot? The target demographic drink expensive coffee. In the TSX, they will be wearing expensive coffee.

The TSX's powertrain is new model's sole bright spot. The 2.4-liter four-cylinder is as smooth and refined as a V6. It puts out enough horsepower (201) and torque (170 ft. lbs. @ 7300 rpm) to motorvate the Acura from rest to 60 in a none-too-thrilling 7.7 seconds. While that's on par with similarly-powered competitors like Audi's base A4, so what? Equally disappointing (given the lack of thrills involved), the autobox TSX's offers 21/30 mpg. That's only slightly better than the V6 Accord's 19/29."
Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/acura-tsx/

Alternatively this is the 1st gen review for comparison purposes.

"Gutless, rev-happy fours are another Acura hallmark, established by two decades of Integratude and RSXedness. The TSX’ 2.4-liter mill is muffled and refined to anonymity at everyday revs. Less wonderfully, it never feels as strong as its 7.2 second zero to 60mph time suggests. Some adrenal adventurers will enjoy reaching for the 7000 rpm power peak; others will wonder why they didn’t try to swing the payments on a V6 TL.

Never mind. Who needs torque when you’ve got the sweetest shifter this side of a Honda S2000? The TSX’ interface’s action is as oily as a Buick salesman and as precise as a Leicaflex. No rival– front-wheel-drive or otherwise– plays snick-or-treat like this transplanted Honda. (Anyone opting for the optional automatic should know that the little “D” stands for “dull”).

And speaking of sensible, the TSX’ lineage guarantees a bounty of prosaic pleasures. Spacious, well-lined trunk? Check. Prudent fuel economy? Check. Reliability? Red dot at the ready. Talk about a peace [of mind] Accord…"
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Advanced.

IMO, it's spot-on. As an '06 TSX owner, I'm highly dissapointed in the new model.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
knox....and in IMO...it is not spot on. As an 06 TSX owner...I am highly impressed with the 09 TSX and picking mine up tommorrow afternoon. YOu will see reviewers and indiviiduals who will like it, and others who won't. For example, I HATE the G35..yet some just adore it...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Advanced.

Originally Posted by 09TSX
knox....and in IMO...it is not spot on. As an 06 TSX owner...I am highly impressed with the 09 TSX and picking mine up tommorrow afternoon. YOu will see reviewers and indiviiduals who will like it, and others who won't. For example, I HATE the G35..yet some just adore it...
To each their own. If the '09 TSX had the RDX turbo motor, I'd seriously consider upgrading.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Racer

knox...a more powerful version of the TSX is coming...its just a matter of when...But I agree, and that was my purpose for replying...everyone has their preference. It was certainly not to be critical of your opinion cause everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Hopefully, Acura will come up with something to keep you with us
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Race Director

thanks for the links
Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by elusive_wind
suspension is abusively harsh and jarring, and noisy to boot?

Meh. First time I've heard that complaint. Can't put too much stock in this review. These guys probably love a floaty Lexus.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM
2005 WDP TL

harsh and jarring? It rides much better than my TL Type S.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
yeah that review seems a little over the top. i haven't taken the 09 for a test drive but i find it hard to believe that it is "abusively harsh and jarring, and noisy to boot"
Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Knox
To each their own. If the '09 TSX had the RDX turbo motor, I'd seriously consider upgrading.
AGREED
Old 06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Meh. First time I've heard that complaint. Can't put too much stock in this review. These guys probably love a floaty Lexus.
Agreed. I think this reviewer is nuts. I test drove one. Thought it rode fantastic compared the previous gen.

Everyone's got an opinion. Only one that matters is your own. If you like the car buy it. If not, get something else.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Race Director

yup agreed
Old 06-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Advanced

His tone in the article is anti-Acura... so no matter what the TSX has that's good, he'll rail it. Best thing to do - test drive it yourself and form your own opinions.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by samwlee
Best thing to do - test drive it yourself and form your own opinions.
Awww why go through all that trouble when you can post you opinion about it without driving it first?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

His reviews are good for a laugh. He's a good writer "a logo that would flummox a Jeopardy contestant" even if he's not a very fair critic. Nothing he said was wrong, he just didn't pay any respect to people who prefer it for what it is. His opinion should be added to the overall general consensus, and now that the reviews are in I'm curious to see if the new TSX will make it into the top 10 entry lux sedan lists and how its sales will hold up over the next few quarters.

I no longer mind how it looks and I think the a-spec (or whatever it is) and the Accord Tourer look very nice, but I'm wary that I've learned to like it and that at first glance I thought it resembled a Camry or worse. Even now when I see a Camry out the corner of my eye I think "woah is that an 09?" before looking closely. Both cars have the same slug on wheels side profile.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Race Director

actually the new TSX from the rear seriously i thought it was just an ES300-ES330 the 2002-2007 version.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That dude is trippin'. The suspension is smooth as hell. I came out of a '96 Ford Probe GT. Now THAT suspension was abusively harsh and jarring. THe TSX is a dream in comparison. 0-60 in 7.7? With the automatic maybe. Car & Driver got to 60 MPH exactly a full second faster than this dude with a manual model. Maybe he needs to learn how to drive a car to its limits before criticizing those limits. The fact is the 2nd gen is faster and pulls more Gs on the skidpad that the older model according to all the major car mags that have tested it. So if you want to say it's ugly, that's fine. That's a subjective call and everyone is entitled to their opinion. But don't say it's not more capable than the model it replaces. The numbers don't lie.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Instructor

This is the dumbest review of the 09 TSX I have ever read. The utter BS about the horrible suspension is hilarious. I can see reviewers questioning the exterior styling and disliking the lack of massive power, but saying the TSX is harsh, jarring and noisy? HAH!

I took a test drive a while back in the new TSX, and the ride quality is fantastic.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Racer

Craig-D and spurfan15...I couldn't agree more with what you both said. Its important to remember that some or most car reviewers get sponsered and sometime money talks!! I have found that the BEST car review is the one that you do yourself. So anyone sitting on the fence or not sure if the TSX is the car for you...do yourself a BIG favor...take one for a test drive. For me, that was all I needed to get my cute little a$$ into one of these 09 and couldn't be happier. Now, I am not saying everyone will agree with me, but I am glad I listened to my heart and my judgement rather than all the bashing about the physical appearance of the 09 model because from the pictures I posted in the photo section.... I ADORE MY 09 TSX!! SHe is a beauty
Old 06-26-2008, 07:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Craig-D
That dude is trippin'. The suspension is smooth as hell. I came out of a '96 Ford Probe GT. Now THAT suspension was abusively harsh and jarring. THe TSX is a dream in comparison. 0-60 in 7.7? With the automatic maybe. Car & Driver got to 60 MPH exactly a full second faster than this dude with a manual model. Maybe he needs to learn how to drive a car to its limits before criticizing those limits. The fact is the 2nd gen is faster and pulls more Gs on the skidpad that the older model according to all the major car mags that have tested it. So if you want to say it's ugly, that's fine. That's a subjective call and everyone is entitled to their opinion. But don't say it's not more capable than the model it replaces. The numbers don't lie.

Road and Track got 7.5. in an MT. I guess they can't drive either. 0-60 times will vary considerably as there are many factors that play a part.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced.

Originally Posted by samwlee
His tone in the article is anti-Acura... so no matter what the TSX has that's good, he'll rail it. Best thing to do - test drive it yourself and form your own opinions.
They liked the first gen TSX.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 AM
MMC Racing Owner

More power will probably mean lower MPG and higher cost - then it completes directly with a G35 and IS-350... The TSX is positioned in the right spot, if it was $3-4k more (and got less MPG), I'd own one of the other brands I mentioned.

Suspension seems good to me. It isn't a soft riding buick that's for sure. I do think the steering is a little too sensitive.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Race Director

i need to test drive the 09 TSX again.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
The TSX is positioned in the right spot, if it was $3-4k more (and got less MPG), I'd own one of the other brands I mentioned.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:43 PM
D

I don't know what he was smoking. My TSX is anything but "abusively harsh and jarring." It is everything I wanted in a car.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Road and Track got 7.5. in an MT. I guess they can't drive either. 0-60 times will vary considerably as there are many factors that play a part.
Agreed. Driver skill can account for a lot, as can driving conditions and the age of the car. C&D noted the temparature and elevation at the test site as well as how many miles were on the car (over 2,000). Does R&T do the same? A non-broken in or pre-production model in a higher altitude wouldn't do as well. I am a long-time subscriber to C&D, so their numbers are what I go by. I'm assuming their stopwatch wasn't broken and that they aren't liars, so somehow they got the car they had to 60 in 6.7.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Also a long time subscriber to C&D, MT and R&T who prefers R&T's method which do not make any corrections for temp, elev etc. R&T reports exactly what their stopwatch gets. While always slower its a better real world example of how a car performs.

R&T's test of an 04 TSX was also slower than C&D's so its all relative anyway.

Copied in from another post in another thread.

Unless they were tested on the same day at the same track by the same driver, no the parameters were not the same. But I'm sure the 09 would still be quicker.

Not sure if you have the Aug C&D yet but have a look at the letters. A reader was wondering why a certain car (can't remember which) had different results in C&D's various tests. They claim there are 19 variables that factor in so results will vary, even after corrections.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton Ego
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read.

But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.
Some reviewers are more in love with their poisoned, punishing prose than they'll ever be with what they're reviewing. Jarring and noisy? Sounds like the review, not the car. C&D has flowery, unmistakably crackling style, so I'd guess this reviewer is a wannabe C&D writer.

A web site gets more traffic from an entertaining, derisive critique, than from plain, pithy, well-thought-out discussion. I defy you to prove me wrong.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Anton Ego FTW!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
More power will probably mean lower MPG and higher cost - then it completes directly with a G35 and IS-350... The TSX is positioned in the right spot, if it was $3-4k more (and got less MPG), I'd own one of the other brands I mentioned.

Suspension seems good to me. It isn't a soft riding buick that's for sure. I do think the steering is a little too sensitive.
Well said!
Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by jiggaman
yeah that review seems a little over the top. i haven't taken the 09 for a test drive but i find it hard to believe that it is "abusively harsh and jarring, and noisy to boot"
It is firm. It is good. It is WAY better than CL9. On my CL9, the first thing I wanted to do was change the suspension. Not on this baby!

I don't know where they get the noisy from, it is way quieter than CL9.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Advanced

The Truth (About Cars)

Sometimes the truth (about cars) is hard to accept. One of the nicer aspects of an internet forum is the ability to create a community of like-mined individuals, for example those who choose to embrace an alternate view, based not as things are, but as we would prefer them to be.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cg2006TSX
Sometimes the truth (about cars) is hard to accept. One of the nicer aspects of an internet forum is the ability to create a community of like-mined individuals, for example those who choose to embrace an alternate view, based not as things are, but as we would prefer them to be.
Hate to break the news to you, but God didn't appoint you to be the source of truth (about cars) to the world. You are entitled to your opinion and, guess what, we are entitled to ours. No one says you have to agree, but you sure don't have a monopoly on "truth" and we don't need second-rate psycho-babble trying to convince us that we are delusional. Accept the fact that different people will have different views of this car. Feel free to complain about the car all you want, but we don't need you talking down to us. It's insulting and unnecessary.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 AM
Advanced

Breaking News: Sometimes the Truth is Hard to Accept

Originally Posted by deTSX
Hate to break the news to you, but God didn't appoint you to be the source of truth (about cars) to the world. You are entitled to your opinion and, guess what, we are entitled to ours. No one says you have to agree, but you sure don't have a monopoly on "truth" and we don't need second-rate psycho-babble trying to convince us that we are delusional. Accept the fact that different people will have different views of this car. Feel free to complain about the car all you want, but we don't need you talking down to us. It's insulting and unnecessary.
Interesting post.

What if we were to re-direct the views within your post to those who have questioned the veracity of the writer responsible for the 'Truth About Cars" review of the 2009 TSX, not to mention countless others (USA Today, Edmunds, etc.).

Are they accepting (of the truth)?

In spite of all of the countless opinions, mine included, the truth is out there.

Most importantly, the truth matters.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 AM
Racer

Same kind of posts by the same kind of individuals......
Old 06-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Race Director

Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Um.... Like fencing with imaginary swords, all one hears is swishing air.

Just because one is amused with a negative review, and/or agrees, doesn't make it "the truth." Those happy with their cars should stay that way. I HATE-HATE-HATE finding out something arcane that disappoints me and spoils the "honeymoon." (I found 3 or 4 on these forums.)
Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

just got my '09 on saturday, love it so far.

the voice annoys the crap out of me tho
Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by Knox
IMO, it's spot-on. As an '06 TSX owner, I'm highly dissapointed in the new model.
WTF were you expecting? M3 beater?

Quick Reply: Truth About Cars 09 TSX Review [blunt review]