TL driving impressions - I like my TSX better

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010 | 03:20 PM
Advanced

TL driving impressions - I like my TSX better

Got a TL SH-AWD Tech Auto loaner from the dealership while my 09 TSX Tech 6spd was in the shop for brake TSB fix. The TL was same exterior and interior colors as my TSX which made the comparison even more interesting.

I must say the TL wasn't as big on the inside as I thought i may be. Front passenger room is the same. Rear its bigger. But the trunk is tiny. Very odd.

Of course its faster, but not as neck snapping fast like I thought it would be. It was about as fast as any car in that class should be. Nothing special.

Nearly all the buttons on the dash were the same and the stereo was same as TSX.

Overall considering the usable interior room and the fun factor of my 6spd, I am glad I didn't bother with the TL.
Old 09-10-2010 | 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by poser
Got a TL SH-AWD Tech Auto loaner from the dealership while my 09 TSX Tech 6spd was in the shop for brake TSB fix. The TL was same exterior and interior colors as my TSX which made the comparison even more interesting.

I must say the TL wasn't as big on the inside as I thought i may be. Front passenger room is the same. Rear its bigger. But the trunk is tiny. Very odd.

Of course its faster, but not as neck snapping fast like I thought it would be. It was about as fast as any car in that class should be. Nothing special.

Nearly all the buttons on the dash were the same and the stereo was same as TSX.

Overall considering the usable interior room and the fun factor of my 6spd, I am glad I didn't bother with the TL.
I've had both 2G TSX and 4G TL's as loaners and I can tell you that between the two, I like the TSX better. Not only is the size and grill more tolerable/nicer looking, the TSX handles much more crisp/better and has a great turning radius where the TL does not. If I could only choose between the two vehicles, I be in the TSX in a heartbeat! Plus, in the TSX, the back seats go down if you need extra trunk room, TL you only get a pass thru!
Old 09-10-2010 | 06:36 PM
Racer

I had a TL AWD loaner not too long ago, and I agree I'm very glad I have a TSX. The main gripe I had about the TL was fit and finish. I'm a stickler for things like cheap parts and although the TSX isn't the most sumptuous car in the world, the TL definitely had a lot of creaky, cheaply painted plastic bits that made me thing they cut a few too many corners. My TSX isn't perfect, but the TL had so many other short comings in that department. At least all my buttons are straight and the parts line up like they're supposed to!

Some pluses - it was quieter on the freeway, the steering feel was a lot better than my 09 TSX, engine power was nice (although as poser mentioned it wasn't as "neck snapping" as I would have thought considering the numbers...I'm guessing its the 5 speed auto I had), larger interior, backup camera was centered with guide lines, 6 speed is now available...

Some minuses - cheap interior bits and not quite so good fit and finish, steering feel was good but not radius, only 5 speed tranny, car not exactly "fast", similar stereo to TSX (very slightly better sounding but not enough to justify any price difference), feels too similar to the TSX to justify the $10k premium - 43k doesn't get you radar cruise, blind spot or lane departure warning, cooled front seats, swiveling headlights, dvd movie playing ability (or did I miss it?), odd trunk opening shape, no fold down nor reclining rear seats...

There are definitely nicer cars out there in that price range...
Old 09-11-2010 | 04:27 AM
Racer

The TSX is a superb car for it's price.

I wouldn't trade it in for an Is, TL, or G.

Maybe for a 328i coupe or better yet a 335i though
Old 09-11-2010 | 03:05 PM
Instructor

Definitely the 2nd gen TSX is a lot nicer than the 4G TL. I test drove both when I was in search for a new car. I noticed the difference in handling and drive comfort. The TL was a bit too heavy on its pick up considering it is a V6 but the pick up on a 4cyl TSX is really good. The TSX's exterior hands down kicks the 4G TL's ass.

I have no regrets in my decision on buying a 2010 TSX plus I got the exact model and color that I wanted. Premium Black on Black...Sexy!