Thinking About Getting one- Trade-in MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Thinking About Getting one- Trade-in MDX?

Hey guys, I have a 2009 Tech/Entertainment package that's worth a equal trade in on a used 2011 or even new 2012. What's your opinion, keep it or get a tsx? I would like a blue one with the factory lip kits and interior steering trim along with a downpipe from RV6, thoughts?

I got a 2012 TSX as a loaner and I must say it's pretty nible and quick.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Mdx is my favorite family car. I hope it stays in the line up for another 5 years or so.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
If you do get it, get a 6MT. I'm bored with my AT already.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Keep the MDX. TSX is nice though.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
well, i think i could be some help on this, benben was also in the same boat as me. i have a 2010 TSX(Vortex Blue, and yes, it IS fucking awesome), it lacks a bit of power, but definitely not weak, especially the 6MT(i have the 5AT sadly). my dad has a 2011 MDX with tech, i've driven his plenty, including to philly and to DC from NYC and back. its a great car, the power is intense for such a big car, and the engine sounds great. but one does not simply "whip" an MDX. i drove aggressively in philly, and i was scared it would flip. the SH-AWD is great though. i prefer my TSX any day of the week, and twice on friday =P

it depends on your needs. my TSX is more fun to drive, double the MPG, sharper looking, and modifiable. the MDX has more space for cargo, people, SH-AWD for the winter, and is more of a family car while still looking great and sounding amazing
Old 09-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
traded zdx on tsx 5 at- driving is fun again!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
asking in the TSX side will result in bias opinions. And all very good so far. i had an MDX loaner. SH-AWD version. HAAAAATED it. I couldn't drive it like I could drive mine. And honestly I didnt think the power was all there. i think they're a little over rated. But if you are asking the question here then i certainly believe you've already made a decision. Get the TSX and don't look back. I'm looking into other cars because I want to gear towards all out performance. So don't get confused by any of my other posts. I still love my tsx and it is still a beast. even in the 5at configuration i can still make it scream. If you can do a clean trade and are willing to take a "loss" then go for it.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Racer

Thanks, the MDX is comfy and handles great but after I got in the tsx the fun factor is back but the space is a little disappointing, after I get comfy and seats adjusted, there is no leg room for passengers it seems.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
tannis-the MDX only comes with SHAWD.

OP-depends on your needs. if you need leg room for passengers and the TSX is snug. then move up to a TL.

certainly the MDX has it's limitations but for a 4500 lb SUV it handles quite well. SUVs aren't for everyone. i own a 3G TL with 6MT and a 2G MDX. each has it's role in my world. i started with the TL then the MDX entered my world. since i modded the TL a little, long car trips become jarring. the MDX provides the comfort and cargo space that we needed for roadtrips and hauling gear around. the TL, now retired from bike duty, provides the fun to drive factor when she comes out to play. i've driven many TSX loaners. it's plenty peppy for it's size. for me though, after owning a V6 in the TL...i still prefer my TL from a performance stand point.

OP what are you exactly looking for besides the fun to drive factor?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
Thanks, the MDX is comfy and handles great but after I got in the tsx the fun factor is back but the space is a little disappointing, after I get comfy and seats adjusted, there is no leg room for passengers it seems.
I must agree with this 100%. I find myself adjusting my seat position whenever a passenger sits behind me. But since that's a rare occasion, I can care less.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
tannis-the MDX only comes with SHAWD.

OP-depends on your needs. if you need leg room for passengers and the TSX is snug. then move up to a TL.

certainly the MDX has it's limitations but for a 4500 lb SUV it handles quite well. SUVs aren't for everyone. i own a 3G TL with 6MT and a 2G MDX. each has it's role in my world. i started with the TL then the MDX entered my world. since i modded the TL a little, long car trips become jarring. the MDX provides the comfort and cargo space that we needed for roadtrips and hauling gear around. the TL, now retired from bike duty, provides the fun to drive factor when she comes out to play. i've driven many TSX loaners. it's plenty peppy for it's size. for me though, after owning a V6 in the TL...i still prefer my TL from a performance stand point.

OP what are you exactly looking for besides the fun to drive factor?

Well the commute to work is mainly stop and go traffic, coming to a complete stop then moving a 4,000lb suv can use a quite of bit of gas. So I was looking for gas savings but I'm not too worried about that, I just miss the fun factor haha. I traded in the TL in for the MDX and after getting the tsx as a loaner I miss how it kinds of drives like a go-kart. It is very peppy for a 4 cylinder and the thought of putting a downpipe on it amuses me but also the 4cy. models are timing chain, not belt so I figure that would save me a bunch as if I were to get the 105k package done on the X. I'm on the border and just waiting for the push of yay or nay ahhh!

If anyone else wants to add that would be great:

Pros:
Fun to drive
Paddle shifters
Quick
Handling
Reliability
Less maintence -(timing chain)
Engine bay- 4 cyl. have so much room. It would be a breeze to swap any engine mounts if they go bad, the downpipe is easily accessbile to replace, overall so much room!

Cons:
Looks very plain/cheap
Interior is cheap looking
Space- rear seats are very cramped
Old 09-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
I must agree with this 100%. I find myself adjusting my seat position whenever a passenger sits behind me. But since that's a rare occasion, I can care less.

I noticed you live in MA, did you drive it in snow yet? If so how does it handle? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I've owned all of the cars discussed here and I actually traded my MDX for a g37x recently, so I'm not biased by any means. Personally, I thought the TSX was great: felt really solid, decent acceleration in the A/T model and phenomenal MPG for it's size. But, felt it was a bit too big for City commuting and I needed something a bit peppier for sporting around (that's why I traded it for the ILX). As it relates to the mdx, it was not fun to drive, didn't track very well to the road (you had to work to keep it straight on the highway when going over bumpy roads), and, even with my feather-like foot, I could only best 20mpg on the MID. But, even with those negatives, the TSX isn't a feasible replacement; yea, it's more fun, but the TSX is a huge downgrade on all fronts except MPG and sportiness (especially if you don't opt for tech). So, moral of the story, don't do it -- if you do, check out some of the competitors. The G37x blew me away with how much better it is in terms of tech, refinement, and sportiness. It's not til you step outside of an Acura when you realize how far behind the curve they are.
The following users liked this post:
usmarinedelta (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
tannis-the MDX only comes with SHAWD. :rolleyes
Forgive me for not caring.

OP and whoever else... do you really USE an SUV? I know of many people who own them but never actually use them
except to be the cattle herder during the once a year family event. I have a lot of hobbies and I'm always moving stuff but have yet to require the permanent ownership of one. Just curious really. I see people use them more for status than anything else.

Last edited by Tannis; 09-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^obviously SUV's aren't for everyone.

no need for the attitude.

so what is your definition of USING an SUV? off roading? hauling stuff? hauling people? status symbol? status of what?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
I noticed you live in MA, did you drive it in snow yet? If so how does it handle? Thanks!
Not yet. I purchased her used in June, so this will be my first winter experience with her. I think she'll do just fine with the right set of tires.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
the new accord seems to come with all the bells and whistles.
im kinda diggin the stying with the aero kit too.

no wonder theyre doing away with the TSX.
a fully loaded V6 accord costs less than a tsx tech.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
The lease rates suck balls on loaded accords, that's why the TSX is a much better buy. Lots of people lease, hence why the TSX was such a great value prop.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
There is a lot about my TSX I like, but probably a tiny bit more that I don't like. Some of the negatives:
  • I have the 4 cyl and the gas mileage hasn't impressed me at all (outside of constant highway driving, but my commute offers very little of that so I need to worry about the city MPG).
  • The power is typically just not there, so I am getting so-so gas mileage AND not getting the trade off of the power either.
  • I have had a lot of bugs/issues with the car thus far and they continue. Please keep in mind that my car is an '09 so a few of these bugs were ironed out in later years, but I definitely expected better and it seems like something else pops up over time.

Again, not a bad car by any means and I would never talk a person out of getting one but if you have other options, I would definitely advise to explore those as well.

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
It's not til you step outside of an Acura when you realize how far behind the curve they are.
I agree. Acura's are GREAT cars, but still behind the curve a bit IMO and I am hoping that they catch up soon.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
If you're contemplating the 2009...To be honest....I say you rather look into the 1st generation 07-08 TSX instead. I kind of regret not having gone with that way back when. I hate to be debby downer here, but having driven both cars (including owning one) the 1st gen seems definitely more of the TSX's intended purpose. The car handles better, lighter, more ergonomic for the driver, and seems overall better built. Also wayyyyy LESSS Bugs, and I could make a 2 page list of the bugs I had to iron on in this car (under warranty and not). Now I don't know if they made any drastic improvements on the 10's and ups...But i don't think the change would be that much over the 09 for it be better than the 1st gen.

Unless you like the design of the 2nd gen better, I say go for the 1st.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Drifting

Why would he trade an '09 MDX for a first gen TSX?

I say you look into the new Accords.
The following users liked this post:
spdandpwr (09-26-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Maybe consider a 2011 or '12 tsx wagon? I traded in a 03 4runner limited. Overall very happy.