Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Test drove a 2009 today, my review

Link to the Automotive News thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1607

My first-hand review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I happened to be at Camco Acura and I saw that they had a couple of the new TSX's. I sat inside one and went for a quick test drive. I was told that they just got them last night and that I was the second customer to test drive one. I tried to examine as much as I could and compare it to my 2004 TSX.

First impressions:

When I saw the car in photos I thought "meh, it looks almost the same as mine". In person, the changes are more apparent and I liked it a lot more. The front looks very sporty, kind of like the old TSX with the body kit. I have to say the grille is starting to grow on me. I think I might actually like it.

The car looks wider, not necessairly bigger, mainly just wider. The front section looks more imposing than on the outgoing TSX, but overall the car still seems well-proportions. There's one exception to that, and it's the wheels. They look a bit too small and much too recessed into the wheel wells, with too much sidewall, and the tires look too round. This car just BEGS for nice 18" wheels. The effect is akin to the BMW 325i with its wheels looking too small while the ones that come with a 335i look just right. 18" wheels on a TSX would look just right, they would match the rest of the car. And of course the rims look pretty boring, but that's standard Acura. The rest of the car looks good, yes, even the front.

Interior:

I really liked the new interior. I like Acura interiors in general and this one is similar to the MDX, RL, etc. The materials are nice overall, nothing too fancy, similar to the RDX I would say. The fake aluminum trim is even more fake than in the old TSX, It's just this daker shiny plastic. The same material is used for the silver rims around the guages, and it looks a bit cheap there. Generally speaking there are more design features, more grips, more lines and more material changes than in the old TSX interior.

The best part of the interior by far is the steering wheel. It feels small, thick and sporty. Going back to my old TSX steering wheel I felt like I was going to drive a bus.

The models they didn't have the navi, and the substitute for that is a too small LCD screen in the large nav-less cavity. It looks stupid. Acura should have really used a larger screen because the TSX's without navi simply look like someone ripped out a screen and put a tiny cheap screen in its place. The Lexus IS doesn't have that problem, Acura clearly pinched pennies there.

The seats looked identical to the old TSX seats at first, then I noticed that they're wider at the shoulders, with more bolstering, and the headrests are different. The rear seats looked similar to the old ones as well, and I swear that it seemed a little more difficult to get out of the back seat.

Space inside looked pretty similar to the old TSX, but the trunk seemed slightly smaller in the deep end. The trunk opening to the rear seats is wider at the bottom, current TSX owners know that the tapered opening is a PITB.

The guages look a lot more sophisticated than in the old TSX. I saw them illuminated (we drove into a garage), they look very cool with the suble lighting around it. Unlike other cars the blue ring lighting is not stak, it's very subtle and well done. The cheapness of the silver rings disappears at night.

There's an LCD screen in the tach that you can call-up using buttons on the steering wheel. You can see tire pressure, trip distance, fuel consumption.

The car comes with XM radio, bluetooth for streaming music - I'm thinking you could use one of those new Samsung P2 players that has bluetooth, and an iPod connector. SD slot too.

The drive:

The car feels bigger looking out towards the front, because the hood has bulges on the sides that make it look much more expansive than the old TSX. It doesn't feel much bigger driving it though. The turn radius felt smaller when I did a U-turn. Acceleration seems pretty slow, I think it felt slower than my 2004. I drove an automatic and it was fun to shift the gears with paddles, it's similar to the CSX that way. No lightning fast shifts, just the same as in my old TSX.

I didn't go anywhere where I could test the handling, from what I tried it felt similar to my car.

The key FOB is the flip-out style, I think the later model TSX had those? The keys come with seat and mirror memory, so when you unlock the car it sets your seat position.

Overall:

After sitting in it, it feels like more of a change than I expected. My TSX's interior looks pretty boring and featureless in comparison. In the end though, the interior ergonomics is all I would really be upgrading by buying this one... I do like the new styling, it's nice, but I think I would only get one if they come up with a better powertrain. And since there's little chance of it getting AWD, I think it's going to be difficult to convince current TSX owsers that this is a car to step up to.

On the other hand, this car is a nice package, and as long as you're not looking for acceleration it's worth looking at. I don't think Acura will have trouble selling them.

Now I just want to see one with nice 18" wheels...
Old 04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i drove them tongiht too and agree. it'll look good with the 18 aspecs aand it def looks wider
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up! I also test drove one today in Miami. I was trying to explain how the front looks great in person earlier. The car is well proportioned and agree with you about the grille. I love the new seats...being a big guy they were very supportive and comfortable. Thought about trading in my current car...2008 mitsu lancer gts, however, my car is not worth anything and my payments would have been 749 dollars a month. What can you do?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Instructor

This is starting to get interesting... half of the reviews state it needs more power, the other half say it's more then sufficient.

I have to go try one... haha
Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Race Director

i'll test drive one for the heck of it when I get my 04 TSX in for a car wash sometime soon.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:16 AM
TSX Lover

As far as I know I am the only one here that has driven a 6MT so far.

It drove great. I think the 5AT engine must be tweeked different. For example it has a lower maximum torque per the specs (170 compared to 172).

I am going to drive a 5AT at lunch today. Let's see if it realy sucks ass.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Nice review Belzebutt.

I was wondering about the key. Glad they went with a switchblade.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

Too bad they didnt go with keyless entry/start.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
bezzlebutt, you're always good for a looong post. thanks for the write up, the more reviews, the better
Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by nathan584
Too bad they didnt go with keyless entry/start.
I've long wondered why Acura doesn't have this on all their vehicles by now. You can get this on a $20k Nissan.

I don't care so much about the keyless start, but the ability to get into your car by only touching the door handle is a great convenience feature. I can think of many times when going out to my vehicle my hands are full and I have to fumble with the keyless entry fob only to hit the wrong button or drop something I'm carrying. (Maybe I'm just clumsy) Either way, it's not a dealbreaker for me, but it's the "little" things that really make a car IMO.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by jwaters943
I've long wondered why Acura doesn't have this on all their vehicles by now. You can get this on a $20k Nissan.

I don't care so much about the keyless start, but the ability to get into your car by only touching the door handle is a great convenience feature. I can think of many times when going out to my vehicle my hands are full and I have to fumble with the keyless entry fob only to hit the wrong button or drop something I'm carrying. (Maybe I'm just clumsy) Either way, it's not a dealbreaker for me, but it's the "little" things that really make a car IMO.
a kia and hyundai will get keyless start before it makes it to an Acura or Honda product
Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Pro

The RL already has it FYI. I'm sure the MDX will get it as part of the refresh, and wouldn't be suprised if we see it on the new TL.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Hyundai...vera cruz has key less start .....
Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by jwaters943
The RL already has it FYI. I'm sure the MDX will get it as part of the refresh, and wouldn't be suprised if we see it on the new TL.
completely push button and an intelligent key?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove a 2009 5AT Tech today at Woodfield Acura in Schaumburg. The new exterior is much better in person than in pictures. "The Element" is not bad at all in real life. It's still a bit anonymous, which I attribute mostly to the plain wheels.

The 5AT downshifts and holds on to revs much more eagerly than my '06. The ability to hit a paddle to downshift is killer. There's definitely a bit more torque in the 3k-4k range, which makes ordinary driving more pleasant and will no doubt appeal to those who have driven smaller V6s in the past. Up towards redline the engine is smooth and makes a nice noise, but the sudden burst of energy seems to be missing. Still, it was very easy to wind up over the speed limit. It's not the same as the current TSX, but it's very good and will likely appeal to a broader audience. Those who compare the car against the IS250 and 328i will find much to like here.

Steering definitely loses the on-center feel of the current TSX, but is still precise and easy to operate. The new steering wheel is awful. It should either be larger or have a thinner rim. Handling was well controlled but due to the difference in steering response the car didn't beg to be chucked into corners in quite the same way. Brake dive was much better controlled.

The new interior is nice but nothing that makes me want to trade in my current TSX. Overall it's been designed to give more of a luxury feel instead of a sporty feel, and this is evident in the feel of the leather that's been used on the seats and steering wheel, which is softer and less grained. I was worried that it would feel a lot like an Accord on the inside, but in practice it doesn't - it feels like an RDX. Even the non-Navi's display is pretty cool, though the Navi screen is gorgeous. One noticeable cheap spot is the rear middle seat, which is all vinyl and feels much different than the leather surrounding it.

The ELS audio system surprised me with just how much of an improvement it wasn't compared to the current system. Perhaps this is the fault of the music I was using to test - during the few rock tracks I could definitely hear what people like about this system as it gave a very good sense of "space" to the music. However, like many other reference-quality stereo systems, it leaves dance music feeling lifeless and flat.

Overall the new TSX doesn't really feel like much of an improvement, nor is it worse than the current model. The changes will no doubt help it to appeal more to cross shoppers of the IS250, 328i, and even the C300, but no current TSX owner has much of a reason to upgrade.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by darmok
I drove a 2009 5AT Tech today at Woodfield Acura in Schaumburg. The new exterior is much better in person than in pictures. "The Element" is not bad at all in real life. It's still a bit anonymous, which I attribute mostly to the plain wheels.

The 5AT downshifts and holds on to revs much more eagerly than my '06. The ability to hit a paddle to downshift is killer. There's definitely a bit more torque in the 3k-4k range, which makes ordinary driving more pleasant and will no doubt appeal to those who have driven smaller V6s in the past. Up towards redline the engine is smooth and makes a nice noise, but the sudden burst of energy seems to be missing. Still, it was very easy to wind up over the speed limit. It's not the same as the current TSX, but it's very good and will likely appeal to a broader audience. Those who compare the car against the IS250 and 328i will find much to like here.

Steering definitely loses the on-center feel of the current TSX, but is still precise and easy to operate. The new steering wheel is awful. It should either be larger or have a thinner rim. Handling was well controlled but due to the difference in steering response the car didn't beg to be chucked into corners in quite the same way. Brake dive was much better controlled.

The new interior is nice but nothing that makes me want to trade in my current TSX. Overall it's been designed to give more of a luxury feel instead of a sporty feel, and this is evident in the feel of the leather that's been used on the seats and steering wheel, which is softer and less grained. I was worried that it would feel a lot like an Accord on the inside, but in practice it doesn't - it feels like an RDX. Even the non-Navi's display is pretty cool, though the Navi screen is gorgeous. One noticeable cheap spot is the rear middle seat, which is all vinyl and feels much different than the leather surrounding it.

The ELS audio system surprised me with just how much of an improvement it wasn't compared to the current system. Perhaps this is the fault of the music I was using to test - during the few rock tracks I could definitely hear what people like about this system as it gave a very good sense of "space" to the music. However, like many other reference-quality stereo systems, it leaves dance music feeling lifeless and flat.

Overall the new TSX doesn't really feel like much of an improvement, nor is it worse than the current model. The changes will no doubt help it to appeal more to cross shoppers of the IS250, 328i, and even the C300, but no current TSX owner has much of a reason to upgrade.
Are they having a launch party there? McGrath Acura called me and they are having a launch party along with I think Arlington Acura and Continental Acura on May 5th. So, how much really bigger is it compared to the 1st gen TSX and the current TL?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mokos23
Are they having a launch party there? McGrath Acura called me and they are having a launch party along with I think Arlington Acura and Continental Acura on May 5th. So, how much really bigger is it compared to the 1st gen TSX and the current TL?
Hm. Nobody mentioned a launch party. I don't think I'd go anyway.

From the outside it looks a little bigger, and it does drive a little bigger. From the inside you only notice the width. The backseat is still for midgets only. It's still smaller than the TL.